Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-18-18, 04:58 PM
All American

C'Town216 is on a distinguished road
Favorite old/new school gyms and arenas in Ohio

As I did with over on the football thread on favorite old/new school stadiums, Iím making a thread for favorite gyms and/or arenas. Have at it!

My favorite is the Canton Memorial Fieldhouse, no reason necessary considering itís the Mecca of Ohio HS hoops filled with history, epic regional finals. Itís deafening, loudest gym/arena around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by C'Town216; 11-18-18 at 11:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-18, 05:45 PM
All American

bigv is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by C'Town216 View Post
As I did with over the football thread on favorite old/new school stadiums, Iím making a thread for favorite gyms and/or arenas. Have at it!

My favorite is the Canton Memorial Fieldhouse, no reason necessary considering itís the Mecca of Ohio HS hoops.

It is?
Old 11-18-18, 06:53 PM
All American

oxat622
I like the classic rounded wood ceiling at Walsh Jesuit.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 11-18-18, 07:16 PM
All Ohio

Blue Jay Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
As I did with over the football thread on favorite old/new school stadiums, Iím making a thread for favorite gyms and/or arenas. Have at it!

My favorite is the Canton Memorial Fieldhouse, no reason necessary considering itís the Mecca of Ohio HS hoops.

Tell us why you think that.
Old 11-18-18, 07:30 PM
All World

Bball216 is an unknown quantity at this point
Canton Fieldhouse is my favorite without a doubt.
Old 11-18-18, 07:56 PM
All Ohio

James x2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jay Fan View Post
Tell us why you think that.
You sound like you have other opinions. What are yours? The number of tournament games,regional championships to go to Columbus.The venue which is LOUD and is perfect for H.S. hoops.I like the radio booth in the rafters and the 360 bowl seating.All those McKinley banners and memorabilia in the hallways is sweet too.Place drips with history.My favorite to date.

Last edited by James x2; 11-18-18 at 07:57 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 11-19-18, 06:08 AM
All World

Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Celina Fieldhouse
Old 11-19-18, 08:08 AM
All American

bigv is on a distinguished road
Wade E Miller in Middeltown
Old 11-19-18, 08:59 AM
All Yappi

thePITman is on a distinguished road
Canton Fieldhouse

On a different note, has Tiffin Calvert gotten a new gymnasium yet? I remember a game there 14 years ago, and the court was the size of an elementary gymnasium, and some of us sat on a stage.
Old 11-19-18, 09:00 AM
Freshman

Zipper86 is on a distinguished road
I am biased because my kids went there, but I want to say that Medina has the coolest looking floor in Ohio - at least the ones that I have seen.

http://www.medina-gazette.com/image/...0/21181268.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mhs-gym-floorjpg-f17fc97685f29ea6.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	2617  
Old 11-19-18, 09:19 AM
All Yappi

The Pit at Triway HS in Wooster is definitely an old-school gym with a lot of history and tradition.

Old 11-19-18, 01:18 PM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePITman View Post
The Pit at Triway HS in Wooster is definitely an old-school gym with a lot of history and tradition.

The Pit is cool but with the cinder block walls so close to the court place is borderline dangerous.

Benedictine has evolved into a cool gym to see a game. Part of the mystique is driving through a highly urban neighborhood to get to the school, kind of puts you in the right mind set from the start. Then you have the fans on top of the action and with the way the roof is set up it drives the fan noise to the court and makes for a loud frenzied feel to the game, especially early season OOC games against high level comp. They also allow standing room crowds on the base line which bring you even close to the action.

Old 11-19-18, 01:30 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
The Pit is cool but with the cinder block walls so close to the court place is borderline dangerous.
I understand the concern. However, there is wall padding completely surrounding the gym floor. I've attended nearly every boys basketball game in The Pit (JV and Varisty) for the last 10+ years, and there have been zero serious injuries. Maybe the occasional kid running hard into the wall and gets knocked down (probably happens once or twice a season), but that's about the extent of it.
Old 11-19-18, 02:46 PM
Varsity

RollingTrain is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePITman View Post
Canton Fieldhouse

On a different note, has Tiffin Calvert gotten a new gymnasium yet? I remember a game there 14 years ago, and the court was the size of an elementary gymnasium, and some of us sat on a stage.
Yep, it's cozy in there...the visitor side is on the stage. I was at that game vs. Triway that night as well actually. The place is tough to play at if you are a visitor.
Old 11-19-18, 02:57 PM
All American

hoophi55
That "Battling Bees" gym in Medina has a great look!!
Old 11-19-18, 04:35 PM
All American

Another favorite is The Purple Palace home of the VASJ Vikings, I may be a bit biased since this is my alma mater but it has that old school feel to the gym with bleachers surrounding 3/4 of the court and on top of it to mind you that make it a tough place to play as a visitor during a big game the balcony behind the basket closest to 185th street provides additional seating to add in more fans for big games as well as a VIP seat section in front of the stage. And also the Palace is one of the more unique gyms due its kitchen title playing surface that has been in tact for years. Prior Chanel also shared the distinction of having a title floor as well.

Old 11-20-18, 01:37 AM
All Yappi

Metacomet is on a distinguished road
St. Ignatius has nice gym. Sort of cozy and intimate with a cityscape mural on the wall.
Old 11-20-18, 08:48 AM
Varsity

Greenandwhite98 is on a distinguished road
Call me crazy but I love most of the small school GCL gyms and the fact that they are all basically the same...bleachers on one side, stage on the other. McNick, Badin, Carroll, Alter(LaSalle is the same in the GCLSouth). CJ is a great place for a game too.
Old 11-20-18, 09:13 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metacomet View Post
St. Ignatius has nice gym. Sort of cozy and intimate with a cityscape mural on the wall.

The only thing I donít like about Sullivan is the fact visitors are cramped into a balcony while Iggy fans have all of the home side plus the bottom half behind the seats below the visitors section.

Old 11-20-18, 09:26 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Another favorite is The Purple Palace home of the VASJ Vikings, I may be a bit biased since this is my alma mater but it has that old school feel to the gym with bleachers surrounding 3/4 of the court and on top of it to mind you that make it a tough place to play as a visitor during a big game the balcony behind the basket closest to 185th street provides additional seating to add in more fans for big games as well as a VIP seat section in front of the stage. And also the Palace is one of the more unique gyms due its kitchen title playing surface that has been in tact for years. Prior Chanel also shared the distinction of having a title floor as well.

What is the current playing surface at Viking Village? Probably the only Cleveland area catholic HS I have not seen a hoops game at and I want to say that I heard it was tile at one point. Never should basketball at the HS level or above be played on anything but a wood floor.
Old 11-20-18, 09:31 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenandwhite98 View Post
Call me crazy but I love most of the small school GCL gyms and the fact that they are all basically the same...bleachers on one side, stage on the other. McNick, Badin, Carroll, Alter(LaSalle is the same in the GCLSouth). CJ is a great place for a game too.
A lot of all girls or formerly all girls schools have this set up, sports for years took a back seat to theater. By the way, this is a great set up for volleyball as in many matches they only have seating on one side so this makes it cozier and look like the gym is full.
Old 11-20-18, 09:34 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
What is the current playing surface at Viking Village? Probably the only Cleveland area catholic HS I have not seen a hoops game at and I want to say that I heard it was tile at one point. Never should basketball at the HS level or above be played on anything but a wood floor.
Agreed. I played on tile in 7th and 8th grade, and we spent more time spitting on our shoes than we did dribbling or playing defense.
Old 11-20-18, 10:04 AM
All District

bengals wrestling is on a distinguished road
Some thoughts on some NCL gyms:
Benedictine: Old and musty but has a lot of character. The west baseline has a metal cage that contains a metal spiral staircase that leads down to the wrestling room.
CCC: Small, visitors stands are on the stage. No windows and no ceiling fans, leads to no air circulation. Gets very hot, very quick.
VASJ: Nice layout, bad floor. See above.
Walsh Jesuit: Love the beehive wooden roof.
NDCL: Huge gym, huge floor. With the floor being one of the biggest around, makes for a nice home court advantage.
Lake Catholic and Padua: non-discript and ordinary.
Hoban: Worst gym in the NCL. Small. You have to walk in front of the visitors bench to get to half of the stands. Distracting to players and coaches.
Old 11-20-18, 12:29 PM
All American

Quote:

Yep still tile. Some talk before was that wood floor wasnít possible because of the cafeteria being directly below the gym, however Padua debunked that myth with their cafeteria in the basement under the gym and having wood court placed their old tile floor.

Old 11-20-18, 12:31 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengals wrestling View Post
Some thoughts on some NCL gyms:
Benedictine: Old and musty but has a lot of character. The west baseline has a metal cage that contains a metal spiral staircase that leads down to the wrestling room.
CCC: Small, visitors stands are on the stage. No windows and no ceiling fans, leads to no air circulation. Gets very hot, very quick.
VASJ: Nice layout, bad floor. See above.
Walsh Jesuit: Love the beehive wooden roof.
NDCL: Huge gym, huge floor. With the floor being one of the biggest around, makes for a nice home court advantage.
Lake Catholic and Padua: non-discript and ordinary.
Hoban: Worst gym in the NCL. Small. You have to walk in front of the visitors bench to get to half of the stands. Distracting to players and coaches.

Trinity has the worst gym out of all. Itís dubbed as The Minuscule gymí with home side on a balcony with horrid sight lines and the visitors seating on the stage.

Old 11-20-18, 09:40 PM
All World

Spartan0505 is on a distinguished road
Speaking for some arenas in the Mahoning Valley area. Boardman alum so I've always liked our gym. Nothing fancy or spectacular but nice size and great view all around.

Warren Harding is also nice gym but my favorite is the Struthers field house. Always has a nice feel watching a game in there. Saw nationally ranked Huntington Prep play there and there wasn't an empty seat in the house. Awesome atmosphere.
Old 11-21-18, 02:20 AM
All World

Buckeye Elite is on a distinguished road
I’m a homer, but the Struthers field house is a great place to watch a game, has it all
Old 11-21-18, 12:14 PM
Varsity

This is sparta is on a distinguished road
I like Princeton's new gym a lot.
I have heard a few people knock it because it seems to be a cookie cutter gym now a days but I feel like they did a good job on it.

They gym in Canton is really cool. Just a giant throwback.

Anyone ever play in the fieldhouse at XU? Kind of the same feel just as Canton, just Canton's a lot bigger.

https://www.amazon.com/Basketball-Dr.../dp/1558708103
Old 11-21-18, 12:29 PM
All Ohio

Vike16 is on a distinguished road
I love Princeton's arena and 100% biased lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vikings arena.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	2621  
Old 11-21-18, 12:34 PM
All American

oxat622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vike16 View Post
I love Princeton's arena and 100% biased lol
Not a fan of Princeton's for a few reason. First, it's too big. Not from a seating capacity standpoint, but it's just too open and cavernous. You're also pretty far from the floor for a high school gym, so intimacy is never achieved. They also have horrible placement of the scoreboards in the corners and they are obstructed by the fold-up backboards. I have to look behind me to get a full view of a scoreboard. The seats behind the one basket are awkward and never really used.

For a good modern gym with intimacy, I like Mason a lot.