Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-09-18, 09:16 AM
All Yappi

Elks48 is on a distinguished road
GWOC 2018-2019 Outlook

I know nothing, but wanted to start some discussion.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-18, 09:45 AM
All Ohio

BrutusBuckeye90 is on a distinguished road
All I know is Sidney went from a Pretty good team to a really good team a few days back. LOL!
Old 11-09-18, 09:57 AM
All District

THE FLOCK is an unknown quantity at this point
I hear Centerville will be a decent team. I think they've got a big center named Anthony Brandell that's got a nice shot from outside and could be a real threat. I know that point guard Ryan Marchal is going to some fake Huntington Prep after the year, so we'll see how the little guy does. Does Jake Harper still play for the Elks? He had a real smooth shot last time I saw him
Old 11-10-18, 12:46 PM
All American

America is an unknown quantity at this point
Trotwood
Old 11-11-18, 09:51 PM
Freshman

Loco1 is on a distinguished road
Centerville will be more than a decent team, they will be an excellent team. Ryan Marchal is a very good guard, and if it is true that he is going to Huntington Prep - good for him. I hope he optimizes his recruitment. Mo Nije’ is their big, and I’ve heard he has made great strides in his AAU play. Centerville also has the benefit of having the best high school coach in the region, Brooks Cupps. I’m happy my kid plays them in the opening game, less opportunity for Coach Cupps to dissect our team. Don’t sleep on Fairmont. Kellen Bochenek is one of the best players in the state (and a better kid). Ryan Hall is a big time talent as well, and if DeShaun contributes....put Fairmont on watch. Wayne is always Wayne, and Springfield is always rich with talent, along with another great coach in Coach Carson.
Old 11-12-18, 01:08 PM
All Ohio

yakyak is on a distinguished road
I cannot wait for Twood vs. Sidney. I hope Andre shoots more this year, he was being to much of a PG at times for me two years ago (even though he was phenomenal at it) No one else in the North excites me at all. Though Tipp is one or two years away from having something. Serious ballers in the south, I think Elks could make a deep run. Is Wayne back to earth in just being a regional power? (no more state/national power).
Old 11-12-18, 01:53 PM
All District

THE FLOCK is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco1 View Post
Centerville will be more than a decent team, they will be an excellent team. Ryan Marchal is a very good guard, and if it is true that he is going to Huntington Prep - good for him. I hope he optimizes his recruitment. Mo Nijeí is their big, and Iíve heard he has made great strides in his AAU play. Centerville also has the benefit of having the best high school coach in the region, Brooks Cupps. Iím happy my kid plays them in the opening game, less opportunity for Coach Cupps to dissect our team. Donít sleep on Fairmont. Kellen Bochenek is one of the best players in the state (and a better kid). Ryan Hall is a big time talent as well, and if DeShaun contributes....put Fairmont on watch. Wayne is always Wayne, and Springfield is always rich with talent, along with another great coach in Coach Carson.
Sounds like you've got a chub for Kellan Bochenek
Old 11-12-18, 03:30 PM
All World

UcantCatchMe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakyak View Post
I cannot wait for Twood vs. Sidney. I hope Andre shoots more this year, he was being to much of a PG at times for me two years ago (even though he was phenomenal at it) No one else in the North excites me at all. Though Tipp is one or two years away from having something. Serious ballers in the south, I think Elks could make a deep run. Is Wayne back to earth in just being a regional power? (no more state/national power).
I thought Andre transferred to a prep school?
Old 11-12-18, 03:31 PM
All Ohio

BrutusBuckeye90 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UcantCatchMe View Post
I thought Andre transferred to a prep school?
Didn't work out for whatever reason so he's back.
Old 11-12-18, 07:29 PM
All Region

wayne60 is on a distinguished road
I hear Wayne has a 7 footer. Anyone else know anything?
Old 11-12-18, 09:25 PM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
The GWOC National East should be pretty good. As mentioned, the Elks have a really good guard and a big that has started blossoming into a major recruit. Springfield lost a couple transfers but still has a high-major athlete and a really good junior class. I'd have to assume Wayne will have guards rising through the ranks to keep the machine going, and Fairmont has become a legit program over the last few years. Even Beavercreek seems to be becoming a tough out, even if their record isn't all that great.

Trotwood returns a ton and should be excellent, and Sidney's outlook in the area changed dramatically with the return of Gordon. I don't know how good Xenia will be top to bottom, but at worst Samari Curtis will be a one man wrecking crew against most of the league teams on their schedule.
Old 11-13-18, 08:37 AM
All Region

NewJacketCity is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwwarrior09 View Post
The GWOC National East should be pretty good. As mentioned, the Elks have a really good guard and a big that has started blossoming into a major recruit. Springfield lost a couple transfers but still has a high-major athlete and a really good junior class. I'd have to assume Wayne will have guards rising through the ranks to keep the machine going, and Fairmont has become a legit program over the last few years. Even Beavercreek seems to be becoming a tough out, even if their record isn't all that great.

Trotwood returns a ton and should be excellent, and Sidney's outlook in the area changed dramatically with the return of Gordon. I don't know how good Xenia will be top to bottom, but at worst Samari Curtis will be a one man wrecking crew against most of the league teams on their schedule.
Totally agree with your assessment Warrior. It's gonna be a very interesting year in the GWOC.
Old 11-13-18, 03:28 PM
All Yappi

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
Iím pretty sure Troy will be pretty bad again but I really havenít followed them much lately
Old 11-14-18, 08:41 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne60 View Post
I hear Wayne has a 7 footer. Anyone else know anything?
Where did you hear this from as the original rumor of this 7 footer was debunked by coach Trice during football season.

The original rumor was a 7 foot 1 8th grader who was home schooled but living in Huber Heights was enrolling at Wayne. That is false.

Wayne scrimmages Middletown this Saturday at 1 PM at home.... I guess it would be easy to spot a 7 footer but I'm not expecting one.
Old 11-14-18, 09:20 PM
All District

Deep is on a distinguished road
Definitely going with Centerville. Hearing that they may have a good team this year.
Old 11-22-18, 10:59 PM
All American

TippIsGreat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Tipp has a lot of talent coming up, there best players this year will all be juniors and sophomores. And Coach Toohey is a great coach and he has brought energy back into the program
Old 11-23-18, 11:00 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippIsGreat View Post
Tipp has a lot of talent coming up, there best players this year will all be juniors and sophomores. And Coach Toohey is a great coach and he has brought energy back into the program
Agree, especially impressed by some of the athletes that I saw. Fast, jump high, quick all that stuff.
Old 11-24-18, 02:30 AM
All American

TippIsGreat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Agree, especially impressed by some of the athletes that I saw. Fast, jump high, quick all that stuff.
Iím curious what you were watching
Old 11-24-18, 04:20 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippIsGreat View Post
Iím curious what you were watching
Fairmont summer
Old 11-28-18, 09:05 AM
All Region

Not sure where the rumor came from, but no 7 footer on Wayne's roster. LOL
0 Rashad McKee SR 6'2 G
1 Cam Fancher SO 6'2 G
2 Justin Harris SR 6'0 G
3 Tallice Landers SR 6'2 G
4 Brian Hill SR 6'3 F
5 Malcolm Curry SO 6'0 G
11 Jordan Long SR 5'9 G
12 Ronnie Hampton SR 5'10 G
14 Josh Joye SR 6'2 F
20 Bobby Cole SR 6'5 F
21 Brenden Hill SO 6'3 F
22 Isaiah Jones SR 6'2 G
23 Jalen Orwig JR 6'3 F
25 Ben Palma SO 6'7 F
33 Jahrod Lankford SO 5'8 G
Old 11-28-18, 04:34 PM
All American

SouthwestOhioGuy17 is on a distinguished road
Lebanon Warriors

Season preview: Chivington bringing more up-tempo style to Lebanon

https://www.journal-news.com/sports/...pM9y1smjZUO1I/
Old 12-06-18, 08:23 AM
All Region

I'm interested to see what Vandalia is this year. I think Sidney is better, but Butler is clearly one of the top 2 teams in the North (which is admittedly a low bar). They're very good at adapting their game to take their opponents out of their comfort zone. They can play up-tempo if they want, or they can slow it down and limit the opponents offensive possessions. They're very sound defensively and rarely give up easy baskets. Their motion offense is difficult to defend and requires a high level of defensive effort and discipline or it's going to lead to easy baskets for them. This kind of game travels. Probably the biggest thing I'm looking to see is how they replace Kort Justice. He was huge for them last year as he was their guy who they could isolate and count on to get buckets when their offense was struggling.
Old 12-06-18, 01:43 PM
Hail To The Aviators

ButlerAviator83 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJacketCity View Post
I'm interested to see what Vandalia is this year. I think Sidney is better, but Butler is clearly one of the top 2 teams in the North (which is admittedly a low bar). They're very good at adapting their game to take their opponents out of their comfort zone. They can play up-tempo if they want, or they can slow it down and limit the opponents offensive possessions. They're very sound defensively and rarely give up easy baskets. Their motion offense is difficult to defend and requires a high level of defensive effort and discipline or it's going to lead to easy baskets for them. This kind of game travels. Probably the biggest thing I'm looking to see is how they replace Kort Justice. He was huge for them last year as he was their guy who they could isolate and count on to get buckets when their offense was struggling.
Should be interesting. It's a sound group and they play well as a team. You nailed it in your post when describing their ability to adapt. They went into Wayne Tuesday night and struggled early as Wayne unloaded on them offensively. They never panicked, weathered the storm and battled back for a nice road win.

I do believe that the North will come down to Butler and Sidney again and it's quite possible that these two split once again for a shared title. I looked for Butler to run away with the division, but the return of Gordon complicates that to say the least.

I see Butler winning 15 games heading into the tournament and would love to see them have a nice run.
Old 12-07-18, 09:21 AM
All Region

ELK Strong is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Centerville will be more than a decent team, they will be an excellent team. Ryan Marchal is a very good guard, and if it is true that he is going to Huntington Prep - good for him. I hope he optimizes his recruitment. Mo Nijeí is their big, and Iíve heard he has made great strides in his AAU play. Centerville also has the benefit of having the best high school coach in the region, Brooks Cupps. Iím happy my kid plays them in the opening game, less opportunity for Coach Cupps to dissect our team. Donít sleep on Fairmont. Kellen Bochenek is one of the best players in the state (and a better kid). Ryan Hall is a big time talent as well, and if DeShaun contributes....put Fairmont on watch. Wayne is always Wayne, and Springfield is always rich with talent, along with another great coach in Coach Carson.
Centerville will be strong with 9 Seniors leading the way. Mo Nje gives them a BIG presence in the middle. I would put Fairmont and Springfield in the mix and think Wayne will have an off-year.
Old 12-07-18, 01:22 PM
All American

bigv is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELK Strong View Post
Centerville will be strong with 9 Seniors leading the way. Mo Nje gives them a BIG presence in the middle. I would put Fairmont and Springfield in the mix and think Wayne will have an off-year.
Springfield has to get healthy
Old 12-07-18, 08:19 PM
All Region

HardCorps is on a distinguished road
Quote:
ďCups is the best coach in the region.Ē Lol lol lol. He is still living on what Staley built.
Old 12-07-18, 09:44 PM
Freshman

GORUN1600 is on a distinguished road
Coach Cupps has been at Centerville for 8 years, he's not riding what anyone else has done.
Old 12-07-18, 10:16 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORUN1600 View Post
Coach Cupps has been at Centerville for 8 years, he's not riding what anyone else has done.
You are correct; there was a downgrade with the hiring of cups. We will see what he has in 12-13 more years. Your conference and SW Ohio, besides Moeller, were at a different level when Staley was there.
Old 12-08-18, 07:51 PM
Freshman

GORUN1600 is on a distinguished road
yeah wayne has really fallen off the last few years... beating the top ranked team in the country is pretty awful... lol
Old 12-08-18, 09:31 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORUN1600 View Post
yeah wayne has really fallen off the last few years... beating the top ranked team in the country is pretty awful... lol
I did not know that wayne was a one team conference. They did have a great run. There is no taking that away from them. NCAA Division 1 point guards that are the coaches son are hard to come by. Maybe, if they played in a tougher conference, they would have had more than one state title.