Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-28-18, 09:04 PM
All Ohio

cchs1983 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWObballfan View Post
Word is that SJ has several studs in next year's incoming freshman class. This year will be their worst team since the 80s, though.
Watched the 8th graders play Friday, didn’t see any studs, but I hear their all over the Evergreen brothers along with Rossford. SJJ more than likely on the best 8th grader I’ve seen who plays at Rogers. Wait, what age is Easter??
Old 11-30-18, 09:34 AM
All Ohio

Smalls is on a distinguished road
After a slow foul filled 1st half St. Francis took care of business vs Springfield. Harris may not be a great jumper, but everything else about is game is very advanced. He has great hands, feet, understanding of positioning and spacing. The young guys have a lot of potential and will be much better by the end of the year.

In TRAC play Whitmers length and ability to attack the rim could cause some issues with foul trouble for St. Francis.
Old 11-30-18, 11:25 AM
All Region

Spartan87 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwwarrior09 View Post
Had some text cut off...after the Francis kid (UNC commit) went down early, PC struggled some last year before getting red hot at the end of the year and making it to the Schott. I thought this kid was probably their second best player.

Kind of a weird off season. A couple of Springfield (Dayton area) kids transferred to PC, and very shortly after these two left PC to go to Lima Senior. Maybe the long distance transfer is becoming a thing.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Fulcher and Simpson are the stepson and son of Greg Simpson. Greg moved back to Lima and is now the freshman coach. Will be an interesting year for us. No size.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-18, 07:47 AM
All World

irish_buffalo will become famous soon enough
Watched SJ lose at Rogers. Yikes. I cannot remember SJ being this bad. You might have to go back to Ed's first year (79'-80'). Wondering why the Smith kid left? Rogers has some size and athletes.
Old 12-01-18, 09:22 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Bad by their standards or bad? Maybe Rogers is good? TRAC in general had a bad day. NLL looks to be some fun. TCL is two haves and the rest have-nots. At least from an area level of competitiveness. Several new coaches, with promise. Hopefully a good sign.

Last edited by eastisbest; 12-01-18 at 09:35 AM.
Old 12-01-18, 09:34 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
Bad by their standards or bad? Maybe Rogers is good? TRAC in general had a bad day. NLL looks to be some fun. TCL is two haves and the rest have-nots. At least from an area level of competitiveness.
Tough to tell. Very little size. Mitsopulous is a great athlete but not a great basketball player. On most SJ teams he would struggle to play. Nothing against the kid, he is a super football talent, just not a true basketball player we are accustom to seeing at SJ. Moyer can shoot and Jarrett has some dribble skill but aside from that they lack any size or scoring skill. I did notice former Southview HC Marc Jump's kid got a lot of PT for a freshman. Looks to be about 6'4 ish and should be pretty good as time goes on but will take some lumps this season.

Rogers has some athletic kids on the perimeter and two tall kids in the paint. I'm assuming the 6'6" Curtis Jackson is the son of the former Scott player from the early 90's?
Old 12-01-18, 11:49 AM
All World

Some questions might be answered as Rogers plays Whitmer. Personally, as good as SF and Whitmer are, I believe the TRAC is as bad as we have seen it. I cannot remember a time when the Big 3 were this down in basketball. There were years where one would be down and the other two were usually darn good with one being a state contender. That is simply not the case anymore. It was not long ago when SJ, CC, Lima and Whitmer were all state contenders. And teams like Findlay even had a CJ Gettys or Davidson type. It is amazing how some classes are just loaded and others can be weak. What was the weather like 16-18 years ago? Bad booze?
Old 12-01-18, 11:42 PM
All Region

jafo is on a distinguished road
Whitmer 87
Rogers 57
Old 12-02-18, 11:15 AM
All American

FremontKeith is on a distinguished road
Anthony Wayne 68
Fremont Ross 58
Old 12-02-18, 03:37 PM
All World

Clay beat Columbian by 15 Friday night and lost to Northview by 20 last night. Friday night Clay had a kid dunk for the first time in 6 or so years. Last year a different kid, who is not playing this year, missed about three of them in games. The Eagles could be pretty good with Wamer and the Stritch kids.
Old 12-02-18, 06:56 PM
All Ohio

cchs1983 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
Some questions might be answered as Rogers plays Whitmer. Personally, as good as SF and Whitmer are, I believe the TRAC is as bad as we have seen it. I cannot remember a time when the Big 3 were this down in basketball. There were years where one would be down and the other two were usually darn good with one being a state contender. That is simply not the case anymore. It was not long ago when SJ, CC, Lima and Whitmer were all state contenders. And teams like Findlay even had a CJ Gettys or Davidson type. It is amazing how some classes are just loaded and others can be weak. What was the weather like 16-18 years ago? Bad booze?
The reasoning to me is as simple as Cardinal Stritch, Maumee Valley and now open enrollment Rossford all have TRAC players on their rosters. The talent is being spread thinner than ever before.
Old 12-03-18, 03:05 PM
All Region

Cardboard Palace is on a distinguished road
St. Francis and Whitmer look to be regional level teams.

Central could step up and be that 3rd team.

The league looks a lot like 2015 when only 3 teams were above .500 overall and the league took a lot of lumps in non conference games.
Old 12-03-18, 03:13 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchs1983 View Post
The reasoning to me is as simple as Cardinal Stritch, Maumee Valley and now open enrollment Rossford all have TRAC players on their rosters. The talent is being spread thinner than ever before.
Good point. I was looking at the TAAC scores on Saturday and wondered how many of them could compete in the TRAC this year. Four of em in Stritch, MVCD, TC, and OH? You could never have said that in the past, not even for one TAAC team.

I still believe it has more to do with talent being down though. Brain drain? There are far less kids/talent then there were even going back to 2015. Go back to 2013 and it is way beyond that.

Last edited by irish_buffalo; 12-03-18 at 03:38 PM.
Old 12-03-18, 03:34 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboard Palace View Post

The league looks a lot like 2015 when only 3 teams were above .500 overall and the league took a lot of lumps in non conference games.
I understand that analogy but in citing 2015 you are talking about a lights out Lima Sr. team that came a bucket away from a D1 state title led by Xavier Simpson (UM), Reuben Flowers (Pitt Football/JUCO), and Rico Stafford (Owens) amongst others (Ward/Wilson - both JUCO). That Whitmer team saw two of its senior head to D-II schools who are both now averaging in double digits one being a 6'4 SG in Sam Hickey (Ohio Dominican) and the other being 6'6" POST Lamontrece Collins (Lake Superior St.). Panther PG Derek Rayford headed to JUCO. And of course SJ had a young Vince Williams (VCU), Gabe Kynard (Lake Erie), Aaron Thompson (Ashland). Even Findlay had a 6'4 athletic Kyle Nunn.

I just do not see that kind of talent floating around the league. Eddie Colbert and Jackie Harris and...?

Just saying.
Old 12-03-18, 03:41 PM
All District

Trailsendcustom is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Good point but I think it is more than that. Brain drain? There are far less kids/talent then there were even going back to 2015. Go back to 2013 and it is way beyond that.
A couple of kids at Stritch, a couple at MCDS and one at Rossford doesn't add up to the 30 that aren't in the TRAC right now. I'm guessing brain drain, numbers and the NLL have more to do with it. They are not in the City League either. I remember when Libbey, Scott, SJJ were all stacked and almost every other team in the Old TCL had at least one top level kid. It seems like the talent is just not in the Toledo metro area in the numbers like there was 10-15 years ago.
Old 12-03-18, 03:59 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboard Palace View Post

Can I quote myself?

If you look at last year's all league team it was junior dominated. If anything last year's senior class was pretty thin. Obviously no Vincent Williams in this class, but a lot better overall than last year.

3 of 6 1st team
5 of 6 2nd team
7 of 16 3rd team

First Team
Vincent Williams Jr. – Senior – St. John’s Jesuit
Houston King – Senior – St. John’s Jesuit
Jackie Harris – Junior – St. Francis de Sales
Ryan Nunn – Junior – Findlay
BJ Miller – Senior – Lima Senior
Edward Colbert – Junior – Whitmer

Second Team
Ryan Roth – Junior – Findlay
Jakiel Wells – Junior – St. Francis de Sales
Jaleel King – Junior – Lima Senior
Reese Wamer – Junior – Clay
Jonzell Norrils – Sophomore – Central Catholic
Leon Hughes – Junior – Whitmer

Honorable Mention
Dallas Fields – Senior – Central Catholic
Dominique Cole – Sophomore – Central Catholic
Trey Reddick – Junior – Clay
Dustin Aiton – Junior – Clay
Jacob Logsdon – Senior – Findlay
Isaac Schumm – Senior – Findlay
Bryce Root – Junior – Fremont Ross
Jabryis Heidelburg – Junior – Fremont Ross
Jatsiel Colon – Senior – Lima Senior
Jermaine Daniel – Sophomore – Lima Senior
Drew Swerlein – Senior – St. Francis de Sales
Tayler McNeal – Senior – St. Francis de Sales
Ryan Christie – Senior – St. John’s Jesuit
Payton Moyer – Junior – St. John’s Jesuit
Trey Syroka – Junior – Whitmer
Areon Evans – Junior – Whitmer
Old 12-03-18, 04:19 PM
All Region

Quote:
I understand that analogy but in citing 2015 you are talking about a lights out Lima Sr. team that came a bucket away from a D1 state title led by Xavier Simpson (UM), Reuben Flowers (Pitt Football/JUCO), and Rico Stafford (Owens) amongst others (Ward/Wilson - both JUCO). That Whitmer team saw two of its senior head to D-II schools who are both now averaging in double digits one being a 6'4 SG in Sam Hickey (Ohio Dominican) and the other being 6'6" POST Lamontrece Collins (Lake Superior St.). Panther PG Derek Rayford headed to JUCO. And of course SJ had a young Vince Williams (VCU), Gabe Kynard (Lake Erie), Aaron Thompson (Ashland). Even Findlay had a 6'4 athletic Kyle Nunn.

I just do not see that kind of talent floating around the league. Eddie Colbert and Jackie Harris and...?

Just saying.
I was talking the year before Lima made their run.

Looked at the all league team and quit when it didn't support my argument.

Anyway, I can come up with is these guys as far as having potential to play basketball or football in college;

Harris St. Francis
Neal St. Francis
Wells St. Francis
Colbert Whitmer
Hughes Whitmer
Syroka Whitmer
Evans Whitmer
Butler Whitmer Football
Keller Whitmer Football
Nunn Findlay
Roth Findlay
King Lima
Fultcher Lima
Moyer St. Johns
Zsiros St. Johns Football
Lichtenberg St. Johns Football
Smith St. Johns
Kimmons St. Johns
Mistopoulos St. Johns Football
Batch St. Johns Football
Wagonfield Clay
Norrils Central
Cole Central
Awls Central

Plus I don't have the advantage of knowing what the future hold for most of the current sophs.

Last edited by Cardboard Palace; 12-03-18 at 04:35 PM.
Old 12-04-18, 08:35 AM
All Ohio

Smalls is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Good point. I was looking at the TAAC scores on Saturday and wondered how many of them could compete in the TRAC this year. Four of em in Stritch, MVCD, TC, and OH? You could never have said that in the past, not even for one TAAC team.
Stritch and MVCD could "compete", based on playing strong against a lot of the TRAC teams head to head in the summer, all playing high level AAU and the eye test.

TC and OH have great coaching, but I think TC only has 1 part time starter back and a couple reserves. Wensink could play in the TRAC now. McWinnie has the basketball IQ to play, but is probably a year away physically from being able to have success if he played in the TRAC.

I would feel a lot better about OH competing if Coil was playing. Without him they lose a lot of size. They were already lacking depth before he decided not to play. Cummings and Silk can play in the TRAC for sure.
Old 12-10-18, 01:15 PM
All Region

Three Rivers Conference
Toledo St. Francis 3 - 0 1 - 0
Toledo Whitmer 2 - 0 1 - 0
Lima Senior 2 - 1 1 - 0
Toledo Central Catholic 1 - 0 1 - 0
Findlay 1 - 2 0 - 1
Oregon Clay 1 - 3 0 - 1
Fremont Ross 0 - 2 0 - 1
Toledo St. John's 0 - 3 0 - 1

Strange looking standings.
Old 12-10-18, 05:04 PM
Varsity

NWObballfan is on a distinguished road
SJJ gave Eds a good fight on Saturday night. Still may be hope for this team to make some noise once Smith becomes eligible.
Old 12-12-18, 08:15 PM
Freshman

Dud is on a distinguished road
Nice win for Lima Senior over TSF tonight on the road

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 12-13-18, 01:37 PM
All Region

CC Track Fan is on a distinguished road
Findlay's GW shot against TCC Tuesday night.

https://scorestream.com/gamePost/asg...NP7fPiZxJkIahQ
Old 12-13-18, 03:49 PM
Varsity

NWObballfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Track Fan View Post
Findlay's GW shot against TCC Tuesday night.

https://scorestream.com/gamePost/asg...NP7fPiZxJkIahQ
Have to guard the inbounder there but what a terrible no call on the pushoff.