Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  
  #1  
Old 10-17-18, 09:03 AM
BasketballLover BasketballLover is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 03-01-17
Posts: 154
BasketballLover is on a distinguished road
Eastern Buckeye Conference 18-19

Just wanted to get this going... a new year and a new conference! First year for the EBC and wanted to get thoughts on top players, top teams, coaching changes, preseason chatter....

West Branch- maybe best team...returns Leone, Zuchowski, Everett, and others. Very balanced and great point guard play.

Marlington- Loses Brady and Huberty, but returns 3 solid guards in Himmelheber, Pucci, and McCartney. Plus the addition of coaches son (freshman but very talented). Will Dukes have enough inside to win title?

Alliance- Lost bigs from a year ago, but have a lot of returning guards. Jackson, Brooks, Strata, Talbert, etc... Should be a lot of pressing from the Aviators, although that is almost always the case.

Canton South- new coach, new system.... Returns quite a bit with some young newcomers arriving. Fontes could be a first team player this year!

Minerva- Lost POY Wright, along with a good class of seniors. Can the Lions compete in a very balanced league? Brice Williams will be asked to carry the load for the Lions.

Salem- Lost a lot of scoring, new coach, but still some very good athletes. Johnson is a great athlete and they should be stocked in guards. Any bigs?

Carrollton- Also under new leadership... Returns all but 1 player from last years rebuild. Chaney, Benner, Moore all had solid moments last year.

Thoughts???
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 10-18-18, 01:07 PM
hoopstar1988 hoopstar1988 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 04-19-11
Posts: 162
hoopstar1988 is on a distinguished road
I have listed my picks and the number of ppg each team is returning. All approximations.

1 Alliance Aviators (42.5 ppg returning)
2 West Branch (35.1ppg returning)
3 Canton South (33.7ppg returning)
4 Carrollton (30.8ppg returning)
5 Marlington (24.7ppg returning)
6 Minerva (17.1ppg returning)
7 Salem (15.6ppg returning)

If I actually watched more games I would know who had the better JV teams and the order would probably change.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-30-18, 06:05 AM
BrownsCavsIndians1 BrownsCavsIndians1 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 10-29-18
Posts: 21
BrownsCavsIndians1 is on a distinguished road
I like WB this year. Leone back at pg, with multiple bigs returning from a good team last year.

I'll go.....

1. West Branch
2. Marlington
3. Canton South
4. Alliance
5. Carrollton
6. Salem
7. Minerva
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-30-18, 10:20 AM
MINFAN MINFAN is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 09-08-17
Posts: 220
MINFAN is on a distinguished road
Eastern Buckeye Conference 18-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasketballLover View Post
Just wanted to get this going... a new year and a new conference! First year for the EBC and wanted to get thoughts on top players, top teams, coaching changes, preseason chatter....



West Branch- maybe best team...returns Leone, Zuchowski, Everett, and others. Very balanced and great point guard play.



Marlington- Loses Brady and Huberty, but returns 3 solid guards in Himmelheber, Pucci, and McCartney. Plus the addition of coaches son (freshman but very talented). Will Dukes have enough inside to win title?



Alliance- Lost bigs from a year ago, but have a lot of returning guards. Jackson, Brooks, Strata, Talbert, etc... Should be a lot of pressing from the Aviators, although that is almost always the case.



Canton South- new coach, new system.... Returns quite a bit with some young newcomers arriving. Fontes could be a first team player this year!



Minerva- Lost POY Wright, along with a good class of seniors. Can the Lions compete in a very balanced league? Brice Williams will be asked to carry the load for the Lions.



Salem- Lost a lot of scoring, new coach, but still some very good athletes. Johnson is a great athlete and they should be stocked in guards. Any bigs?



Carrollton- Also under new leadership... Returns all but 1 player from last years rebuild. Chaney, Benner, Moore all had solid moments last year.



Thoughts???


Minerva will have to replace Wright and Croston - 2 really good players, It will be hard to replace those 2.. But they will be fast and deep, especially are the guard position. Williams and Board can score and they have a lot of very quick guards. Green has built a very good program and the Lions will be competitive this year. Baumgardner, Catlett and Lowmiller and really quick. One thing for sure is they will get after it!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-30-18, 10:23 AM
MINFAN MINFAN is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 09-08-17
Posts: 220
MINFAN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownsCavsIndians1 View Post
I like WB this year. Leone back at pg, with multiple bigs returning from a good team last year.

I'll go.....

1. West Branch
2. Marlington
3. Canton South
4. Alliance
5. Carrollton
6. Salem
7. Minerva


1. Marlington
2. West Branch
3. Alliance
4. Minerva
5. Canton South
6. Salem
7. Carrollton


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-30-18, 11:52 AM
dig it dig it is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-14-12
Posts: 1,050
dig it is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINFAN View Post
1. Marlington
2. West Branch
3. Alliance
4. Minerva
5. Canton South
6. Salem
7. Carrollton


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haven't seen the other teams much in the last few years, but if Carrollton is picked to finish last, the league as a whole must be really strong. The Warriors had a pretty good summer...lots of returning contributors from last years team.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-30-18, 07:17 PM
MINFAN MINFAN is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 09-08-17
Posts: 220
MINFAN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dig it View Post
Haven't seen the other teams much in the last few years, but if Carrollton is picked to finish last, the league as a whole must be really strong. The Warriors had a pretty good summer...lots of returning contributors from last years team.


It is a pretty strong league. Most teams are returning a lot a contributors from last year. Although thatís just my best guess. Carrollton could finish higher but thereís a lot of dry food basketball players out there..


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-30-18, 08:42 PM
dig it dig it is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-14-12
Posts: 1,050
dig it is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINFAN View Post
It is a pretty strong league. Most teams are returning a lot a contributors from last year. Although thatís just my best guess. Carrollton could finish higher but thereís a lot of dry food basketball players out there..


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm old and losing my mind, so I don't always get the latest....but what the hell is a dry food basketball player?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-30-18, 10:02 PM
MINFAN MINFAN is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 09-08-17
Posts: 220
MINFAN is on a distinguished road
Eastern Buckeye Conference 18-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dig it View Post
I'm old and losing my mind, so I don't always get the latest....but what the hell is a dry food basketball player?


Thatís exactly why my predictions are probably so wrong!!! - I meant real good players in the EBC this year!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-30-18, 10:13 PM
dig it dig it is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-14-12
Posts: 1,050
dig it is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINFAN View Post
Thatís exactly why my predictions are probably so wrong!!! - I meant real good players in the EBC this year!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Learn something everyday....thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-07-18, 07:18 AM
BrownsCavsIndians1 BrownsCavsIndians1 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 10-29-18
Posts: 21
BrownsCavsIndians1 is on a distinguished road
Any scrimmages coming up for the EBC teams?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-13-18, 08:16 AM
BrownsCavsIndians1 BrownsCavsIndians1 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 10-29-18
Posts: 21
BrownsCavsIndians1 is on a distinguished road
West Branch and Canfield scrimmage??? Any details? Both teams should be VERY GOOD!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-19-18, 12:32 PM
thePITman thePITman is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-06-06
Location: Wayne County, Ohio
Posts: 9,644
thePITman is on a distinguished road
Schedules:
* Alliance https://www.alliancecityschools.org/...s?filter=38701
Canton South http://www.cantonlocal.org/userfiles...old.pdf?id=282
Carrollton https://carrolltonhoops.weebly.com/calendar.html
Marlington http://arbiterlive.com/Teams/Schedule/4388937
Minerva http://www.arbiterlive.com/Teams/Schedule/4841483
Salem https://salemathletics.org/teams/243...rsity/schedule
West Branch https://wbathletics.org/teams/245761...rsity/schedule

* Looks like the Alliance schedule only has 21 games.

Once I've had a chance to enter all the schedules, I'll get this info up on the DII Canton District web site so everyone can follow along with automatically updated standings.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-20-18, 11:54 AM
goshengophers goshengophers is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 11-15-09
Posts: 513
goshengophers is on a distinguished road
Alliance plays Hoover on 12/21 and Norton on 12/22 at 2 p.m. at Mount Union's Alliance Christmas Classic
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-21-18, 01:19 AM
Buckeye Elite Buckeye Elite is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-10-14
Location: Struthers ohio
Posts: 2,824
Buckeye Elite is on a distinguished road
Seen west branch in the playoffs last year and hey didn’t impress me at all. Curious to see how they end up losing 2 pretty good players. Their Pg was good, but he couldn’t guard an athletic guard at all from what I seen
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-21-18, 09:48 AM
thePITman thePITman is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-06-06
Location: Wayne County, Ohio
Posts: 9,644
thePITman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by goshengophers View Post
Alliance plays Hoover on 12/21 and Norton on 12/22 at 2 p.m. at Mount Union's Alliance Christmas Classic
Thank you. Looks like the Alliance web site has the Northwest game listed twice, so the page still only has 21 games listed. I think I found the missing game, though (Marlington on 12/11). Also, that web site's date for each game appears to be off by 1 day. I've made the updates.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-21-18, 09:48 AM
thePITman thePITman is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-06-06
Location: Wayne County, Ohio
Posts: 9,644
thePITman is on a distinguished road
Eastern Buckeye Conference Schedules and Standings:

http://www.pitmanstats.com/mbk/leagu...84&district=20
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-28-18, 07:09 AM
hoopstar1988 hoopstar1988 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 04-19-11
Posts: 162
hoopstar1988 is on a distinguished road
Wow, I looked through the schedules and if correct Canton South will play 9 games in February (10 if you include tournament). most of the teams were 5 or 6. Salem has 8 and West Branch 7. That is a lot of back end games. Is it better to play that much into the tournament or do you prefer less. May have to adjust my earlier predictions as I have heard Marlington was very competitive in scrimmages and that heavy February schedule may cost CS as the season ends.

Last edited by hoopstar1988; 11-28-18 at 07:22 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-28-18, 10:38 AM
BrownsCavsIndians1 BrownsCavsIndians1 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 10-29-18
Posts: 21
BrownsCavsIndians1 is on a distinguished road
speaking of schedules... Just saw Minerva's and they have 6 Friday-Saturday back to backs. Take us back to the old way of the Federal League!

Hope the Lions are deep and have something in the tank for all those second night games. geez. Strange schedule
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-06-18, 09:51 AM
BrownsCavsIndians1 BrownsCavsIndians1 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 10-29-18
Posts: 21
BrownsCavsIndians1 is on a distinguished road
EBC league play opens up on Friday night. Here are the games...

Marlington @ West Branch (2 of the league favorites)
Minerva @ Alliance (2 teams with unknown identities)
Salem @ Canton South (2 teams with new coaches)
Carrollton is off

Good luck to all. We get to see if WB is the best team in the league right off the bat.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-06-18, 10:54 AM
hoopstar1988 hoopstar1988 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 04-19-11
Posts: 162
hoopstar1988 is on a distinguished road
West Branch - in a close one
Alliance - big (my league favorite
South - the early road trip takes its toll
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-06-18, 05:18 PM
Starkflavor Starkflavor is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 09-14-15
Posts: 227
Starkflavor is on a distinguished road
Marlington won't be good until they are full strength. I look for them to be much better in the coming weeks
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownsCavsIndians1 View Post
EBC league play opens up on Friday night. Here are the games...

Marlington @ West Branch (2 of the league favorites)
Minerva @ Alliance (2 teams with unknown identities)
Salem @ Canton South (2 teams with new coaches)
Carrollton is off

Good luck to all. We get to see if WB is the best team in the league right off the bat.
Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-22-18, 07:42 AM
peebles peebles is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 11-15-09
Location: Appalachia
Posts: 567
peebles is on a distinguished road
After a rough start to the season, Salem surprises with consecutive wins over Alliance and West Branch at the Branch. The season is starting to heat up!

Last edited by peebles; 12-22-18 at 10:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-24-18, 07:32 AM
NBC 1988 NBC 1988 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 08-14-17
Posts: 515
NBC 1988 is on a distinguished road
I went to see my first basketball game of the year, Minerva at Malvern. It was an exciting-hard fought game that came down to the last second. Malvern pulled it out and deserved to win, it could have gone either way.. It was very disappointing to see how a couple of Minerva coaches acted after the game. I think the refs blew a couple of calls at the end of the game and they had every right to be upset. but the way they acted was really uncalled for. Then I found out the next day that the ex-athletic director acted like a fool to, knocking a phone out of someone's hand that was recording the tantrum. Come on!!!

I don't know the head basketball coach other than watching him from the stands about 7 or 8 times per year, but from what I understand this was totally out of character for him so I assume he just let the emotions get the best of him. As far as the ex-AD- he is retired and just needs to stay out of it and be a fan. I don't think Mangun needs his "help" with this kind of stuff..

I wonder if there will be any disciplinary actions for the coaches because of the way they behaved? If that would have happened during the game there would have been ejections..

Last edited by NBC 1988; 12-24-18 at 07:57 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-24-18, 10:00 AM
BasketballLover BasketballLover is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 03-01-17
Posts: 154
BasketballLover is on a distinguished road
Every team with a win now in the league and everyone (except CS ) with a loss. Balanced league and with only 12 games now instead 14 so every game means a little more . Could be an interesting season
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-07-19, 03:49 PM
Qcity Qcity is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-30-08
Posts: 2,765
Qcity is on a distinguished road
Q's tied for first .....would not have guessed that. Still way early, but I hope they keep it up.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-09-19, 01:09 PM
dig it dig it is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-14-12
Posts: 1,050
dig it is on a distinguished road
Anybody care to try their hand at a coming up with a "tie breaker" system for this league. 1 game separates all 7 teams.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-10-19, 06:51 AM
hoopstar1988 hoopstar1988 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 04-19-11
Posts: 162
hoopstar1988 is on a distinguished road
not sure. I know the tie breakers for end of season awards is one of the strangest I have ever seen. i know a player left off first team averaging 6 points more than another player left on because of the teams record (standings) in the conference. the tie breaker for league title is probably as strange.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-10-19, 06:08 PM
Digbee Digbee is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 11-25-18
Posts: 6
Digbee is on a distinguished road
I believe there is no tie breaker for first. If teams tie, they are deemed co champions.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-11-19, 02:09 PM
MINFAN MINFAN is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 09-08-17
Posts: 220
MINFAN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBC 1988 View Post
I went to see my first basketball game of the year, Minerva at Malvern. It was an exciting-hard fought game that came down to the last second. Malvern pulled it out and deserved to win, it could have gone either way.. It was very disappointing to see how a couple of Minerva coaches acted after the game. I think the refs blew a couple of calls at the end of the game and they had every right to be upset. but the way they acted was really uncalled for. Then I found out the next day that the ex-athletic director acted like a fool to, knocking a phone out of someone's hand that was recording the tantrum. Come on!!!

I don't know the head basketball coach other than watching him from the stands about 7 or 8 times per year, but from what I understand this was totally out of character for him so I assume he just let the emotions get the best of him. As far as the ex-AD- he is retired and just needs to stay out of it and be a fan. I don't think Mangun needs his "help" with this kind of stuff..

I wonder if there will be any disciplinary actions for the coaches because of the way they behaved? If that would have happened during the game there would have been ejections..
Coach Green did nothing wrong. He had a legitimate question for the refs after the game and they ran off the court, the game should not have been over. Would that have changed the outcome of the game, unlikely but they should have talked to him.. There is a fine line between sticking up for his kids and unsportsmanlike behavior. I this case I don't feel that he crossed that line.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Eastern Buckeye Conference ( the beginning) Old Wildcat Football 636 11-05-18 08:01 PM
Spreadsheet update help? vamp2syd Football 12 08-19-18 07:38 PM
Northern Buckeye Conference Preview Yappi Baseball 0 03-27-18 05:10 PM
Northeastern Buckeye Conference OH Hoop News Girls Basketball 18 02-22-18 11:41 PM
Heath D-3 District Rankings (Pre Sectionals) McClearn7 Wrestling 0 02-22-18 12:22 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:50 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.