Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-19-18, 07:28 AM
Junior Varsity

Porsche is on a distinguished road
Top D4 Teams in Ohio

Not sure about other parts of the state but from NW/West Central Ohio....there are a few teams that come to mind.

1)Convoy Crestview
2)Marion Local

I've heard some things with Minster as well
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-18, 09:00 AM
Freshman

187xovr is on a distinguished road
Richmond Heights from NE Ohio is definitely one of the favorites to win D4 this season.
Old 11-19-18, 01:04 PM
Junior Varsity

Snowman8 is on a distinguished road
Haven't heard as much as I typically do from the Central District, but it was very down last year with Africentric, Harvest Prep, Wellington, and Newark Catholic getting bumped up divisions. I don't know if Central District has any State contenders, but here is how many are coming back from the top 5 seeds a year ago (based on the tournament program I hung onto):

1) Fisher Catholic - Lost 7 seniors, most of which were key players. Not sure how many transfers they'll get this year.
2) Danville - Lost 3 seniors (starters) including the district POY from a rotation that went 6 deep.
3) Berne Union - Lost 4 seniors including some key players, but also return some guys with potential.
4) Shekinah Christian - Lost 6 seniors from a program that has 14 boys in its high school (none returning over 6'). How a school that small managed to be the #4 seed out of 18 should tell you all you need to know about how down the Central District is.
5) Tree of Life - Only lost 3 seniors, none of which were top players. Lost in District Finals last year.

Fairfield Christian made a surprise run to Regionals last year but their grades aren't listed in the program so I'm not sure who is coming back. Division 4 is really difficult to predict since a good or bad class carries more weight than at a bigger school, but I'd have to think Tree of Life is looking pretty good. Won around 20 games a year ago and return nearly everybody? They would be my favorite to win Central District and possible make a run at Columbus.
Old 11-19-18, 01:53 PM
All Region

hhawks is on a distinguished road
Hiland and Strasburg from the East district, Hiland returns two starters from there finial 4 apprence and there j.v. were 21-0 last season Strasburg lost two starters from there regional semi's lost, have smething like 8 or 9 seniors on there roaster this year, Hawks and Tigers play the second game of the season at Strasburg
Old 11-19-18, 06:22 PM
All American

The Dock is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman8 View Post
Haven't heard as much as I typically do from the Central District, but it was very down last year with Africentric, Harvest Prep, Wellington, and Newark Catholic getting bumped up divisions. I don't know if Central District has any State contenders, but here is how many are coming back from the top 5 seeds a year ago (based on the tournament program I hung onto):

1) Fisher Catholic - Lost 7 seniors, most of which were key players. Not sure how many transfers they'll get this year.
FC still brings back a lot. They have size, shooters, handlers and a stable of athletes. It’s going to be year two under their current coach, but he’s done a great job. They’re coming off their first winning season in 10 years, and they have no reason to think they can’t take this district by the horns.

$20 says the district final is Fisher vs Newark Catholic
Old 11-19-18, 07:55 PM
All World

Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Crestview
Ottoville
Fort Recovery
Marion Local
Berlin Hiland
Old 11-20-18, 09:22 AM
Junior Varsity

What all does Marion return this year? Bruns is back i believe.

Crestview returns almost everyone including D1 Miami commit older Etzler and his sophomore brother who is the #1 rated small forward in the state of Ohio for class of 2021. Along with the super phenom PG Kline and the Sheets kid. This team is loaded to the gills.
Old 11-20-18, 11:22 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dock View Post
FC still brings back a lot. They have size, shooters, handlers and a stable of athletes. Itís going to be year two under their current coach, but heís done a great job. Theyíre coming off their first winning season in 10 years, and they have no reason to think they canít take this district by the horns.

I forgot Newark Catholic is back. Yeah it wouldn't surprise me to see that at all. The new coach had them rolling last year and I personally felt he should have gotten coach of the year for Central District. I'd lean toward those two and Tree of Life then (although Tree loses their legendary coach so who knows what the new coach will be doing).
Old 11-20-18, 07:05 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman8 View Post
I forgot Newark Catholic is back. Yeah it wouldn't surprise me to see that at all. The new coach had them rolling last year and I personally felt he should have gotten coach of the year for Central District. I'd lean toward those two and Tree of Life then (although Tree loses their legendary coach so who knows what the new coach will be doing).
What happened to Arndt? Whatís the story with the new coach?
Old 11-20-18, 09:39 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
What happened to Arndt? Whatís the story with the new coach?
He only came back for one year. From what Iíve been told itís because he had no interest in returning to coaching but did it temporarily to help the program. He obviously did a fantastic job and I believe that was part of why the schedule was so watered down last year. He had wanted to help get some confidence in the program again with such a young team, which worked better than expected as they really played well down the stretch.

The new coach was the former JV coach, who had previously been a junior high coach. So basically a guy who understands the history and tradition at Tree. Talk from the stands last year was that they were sort of letting Arndt show him the ropes for a year before turning the program over.
Old 11-20-18, 11:50 PM
All Region

shoprat2 is on a distinguished road
Springfield,jd Catholic should be just fi me Last year a little overwhelmed by the stage. That should not happen this the big miss is the wiener guy in t post and off the bench. This time they will miss him when the iss a big foul to or postl player to guard and because the was excellent at doing up with loose. Ball and rebounds because Wouber he did OT mind the dirty work in the game Thatddirty work that so many shy away from doing.
Old 11-23-18, 02:23 PM
All American

SouthwestOhioGuy17 is on a distinguished road
Cincinnati Christian

Season preview: CCS expectations soaring with move back to Division IV

https://www.journal-news.com/sports/...jlf1fpVa8KyRI/
Old 11-23-18, 10:31 PM
All Yappi

111411 is on a distinguished road
Look out for New Middletown Springfield in NEO.
Old 11-26-18, 12:31 PM
All Ohio

coachablekid is on a distinguished road
Cleveland Lutheran East, are they DIII or DIV?
Old 11-30-18, 02:03 PM
All Region

xscoutsoc is on a distinguished road
Springfield Catholic is definitely one to watch out for. Lost in the regional semis last year to state champ Marion Local. Returning 7 seniors, including 4 that averaged ppg or more last year. As Shoprat mentioned, they lose some size down low, but they should be the favorite to win the OHC and move out of their district once again.
Old 11-30-18, 03:18 PM
Varsity

RollingTrain is on a distinguished road
Quote:
FC still brings back a lot. They have size, shooters, handlers and a stable of athletes. Itís going to be year two under their current coach, but heís done a great job. Theyíre coming off their first winning season in 10 years, and they have no reason to think they canít take this district by the horns.

Rarely is there even a good game anymore before the district final anymore...Central Ohio has just become littered with the small Christian/private/charter school popups.
Old 11-30-18, 04:13 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingTrain View Post
Rarely is there even a good game anymore before the district final anymore...Central Ohio has just become littered with the small Christian/private/charter school popups.
Back in the day, Newark&Fisher Caths, Marion Catholic (RIP), Worthington Christian and Delaware Christian were the only D4 privates. Maybe Columbus Academy was at one point D4, canít exactly remember. Bishop Hartley was briefly D4 in the early 90ís, I do believe. For publics, it was Berne Union, Centerburg, Danville, Marion Pleasant, Millersport, Northridge, and some years Grandview Heights and Cardington. New Albany was once that small, and long back Licking Heights was on the low end of D3/high end of D4.

Fast forward to about c. 2000, and you got the Wellington School fielding athletics. Grove City Christian, Tree of Life and Shekinah Christian become OHSAA... and World Harvest Christian, which later became known as Harvest Prep, come into the fold. About ten years ago, Madison, Gahanna and Gilead Christian Schools (the latter of whom has since withdrawn from the OHSAA) come into the OHSAA as does the school that is known as Fairfield Christian. Granville Christian and Northside are both also relatively new OHSAA entrants in the same timeframe. The school that is known as Village Academy, in Powell, has been around for I think 30 years but only has had OHSAA sports for, like, 15.

So thatís what the story is. Central Ohio grew in population, resulting in the smaller communities close to Columbus to grow while at the same time the tiny churches of the various Christian theologies (Nazarene, Pentecostal, Baptist and non-denominational) secure enough stakeholders to launch, sustain and keep alive schools; not just schools, but schools with sports.
Old 12-02-18, 01:08 PM
Junior Varsity

Convoy Crestview destroyed miller city by almost 50!!
Multiple dunks for Crestview. You don’t see this type of play in D4 everyday.

Ohio watch out.
Old 12-02-18, 06:43 PM
Freshman

Lightning2 is on a distinguished road
As hhawks said, Berlin Hiland will be tough this year and Strasburg will give people some issues in the east district
Old 12-03-18, 04:43 PM
Junior Varsity

ThePrepGuru is on a distinguished road
What happened to the the Lockland's and Jefferson Township's of the D4 world? They were both strong for many years, and I have not heard anything from either in a few years?
Old 12-03-18, 06:04 PM
All American

StateChampion2012 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrepGuru View Post
What happened to the the Lockland's and Jefferson Township's of the D4 world? They were both strong for many years, and I have not heard anything from either in a few years?
Jefferson Township is barely operating as a school anymore. The football team had 15 kids and I'm sure their B-Ball program isn't in much better shape. They are very understaffed as far as teachers as well.
Old 12-03-18, 11:52 PM
All Region

shoprat2 is on a distinguished road
Over here in the west Marion,Ft.Loramie Springfield Catholic all went on good runs and return a lot. Also somebody from the CCC is usually good.
Old 12-04-18, 11:01 AM
Varsity

dnis30 is on a distinguished road
As far as North Central Ohio goes, last year's D4 poll champion - Mansfield St. Peter's, will be down this year. They got smacked in the mouth their first game of the year. They had won 33 consecutive regular season games to that point. IMO, Look for Lucas (young, super talented team that lost in the Districts to St. Peter's - they are bringing almost everyone back), South Central (very deep and talented) and Colonel Crawford (big and physical) to be the 3 best D4 teams in the Richland/Crawford County area.
Old 12-06-18, 09:32 AM
All District

cknights is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche View Post
Convoy Crestview destroyed miller city by almost 50!!
Multiple dunks for Crestview. You don’t see this type of play in D4 everyday.

Ohio watch out.
Crestview should remain #1 much of the year in the state and have a nice showdown with Minster in the Flying to the Hoop classic in Dayton this year. They looked great against Miller City with Etzler getting his 1000th point there and the behind the back passes for dunks.

I'm very curious to see what Hiland and Marion Local bring to the table this year. Bruns is one of the best players in the state in my opinion. He took over last year and dug the flyers out of a hole to beat PG. Makes everyone around him better. Not sure what Hiland has but should be a formidable foe.

Back to Crestview, Saturday night should show what they have in the tank. Parkway is one of the most underrated teams in the state right now. I'm calling them a state contender in the next year or two. They gave Crestview all they could take in last year's sectional finals.
Old 12-06-18, 10:32 AM
All World

3out2in is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cknights View Post
Crestview should remain #1 much of the year in the state and have a nice showdown with Minster in the Flying to the Hoop classic in Dayton this year. They looked great against Miller City with Etzler getting his 1000th point there and the behind the back passes for dunks.

I'm very curious to see what Hiland and Marion Local bring to the table this year. Bruns is one of the best players in the state in my opinion. He took over last year and dug the flyers out of a hole to beat PG. Makes everyone around him better. Not sure what Hiland has but should be a formidable foe.

Back to Crestview, Saturday night should show what they have in the tank. Parkway is one of the most underrated teams in the state right now. I'm calling them a state contender in the next year or two. They gave Crestview all they could take in last year's sectional finals.
Please keep the Crestview updates coming this season. Great program, tradition. My early pick in DIV. Good luck.
Old 12-06-18, 08:00 PM
All Region

hhawks is on a distinguished road
Hiland has two starters back from there State finial 4,there reserve team finish 21-0 last year,they played about nine guys last Tuesday in there win over West Holmes 71-28, they have a 6'7" Jr that has some raw ,talent, then they go 6'2 and about three guys at 6'1,then have two excellent guards
Old 12-08-18, 08:18 AM
Junior Varsity

Convoy Crestview is #1 until someone proves them not to be.

Absolutely loaded.

I believe the sophomore Etzler is Ohio's #1 rated forward in the class of 2021.

Has had visits from Chris Holtman at Ohio State in Convoy. Purdue and Iowa also showing interest from my what i've heard.
Old 12-08-18, 09:10 AM
Varsity

Meatball is on a distinguished road
It's early, but Hiland beat Strasburg last night at Strasburg by 10 in a game of 2 of top East District D4 teams.
Old 12-10-18, 06:47 AM
Varsity

After they pushed the schedule back due to football, Lucas finally had their first weekend of basketball. They went 2-0 over the weekend, winning by an average of 35. Logan Niswander is averaging 35.5 points per game. He scored 25 in the 3rd quarter Friday night. Watch out for Lucas.
Old 12-10-18, 09:53 AM
Freshman

Groom04,62 is on a distinguished road
Varsity

As far as North Central Ohio goes, last year's D4 poll champion - Mansfield St. Peter's, will be down this year. They got smacked in the mouth their first game of the year. They had won 33 consecutive regular season games to that point. IMO, Look for Lucas (young, super talented team that lost in the Districts to St. Peter's - they are bringing almost everyone back), South Central (very deep and talented) and Colonel Crawford (big and physical) to be the 3 best D4 teams in the Richland/Crawford County area.

The teams listed above are awful play bad teams all year long. A TEAM FROM NORTHWEST OHIO WILL WIN IT ALL.