Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-23-18, 09:14 AM
All Region

Cardboard Palace is on a distinguished road
Toledo Area Athletic Conference 2018-2019

2017-2018 Results (returning teams only)

Cardinal Stritch 21 - 1 14 - 0
Toledo Christian 18 - 4 11 - 3
Maumee Valley Country Day 17 - 5 10 - 4
Ottawa Hills 12 - 9 9 - 5
Emmanuel Christian 9 - 12 4 - 10
Northwood 2 - 20 1 - 13

Maumee Valley, Cardinal Stritch and Toledo Christian lost a lot to graduation, but MVCDS and CS have a have a ton coming back. Ottawa Hills has everyone back.

Losing a couple teams to the SBC opens up 4 non-conference games.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-18, 08:45 AM
All Region

Some solid depth of talent in the TAAC.

Jackson (Maumee Valley) Michigan commit

Holifield (Stritch) D1 Offers from Toledo, Bowling Green, Kent State, Youngstown State, Fort Wayne, Stony Brook - Interest from Pitt, Dayton and several others

Burton (Stritch) D2 offer from Notre Dame College

Caryer (Stritch) D2 Tiffin commit

There are 6 or 7 other players in the league who will play at one level or another in college.
Old 11-10-18, 05:03 PM
Freshman

Eaglesrize is on a distinguished road
Stritch looked booty today. Can't handle it and take terrible shots. Just play in crappy league.
Old 11-10-18, 05:04 PM
Freshman

Eaglesrize is on a distinguished road
Rossford even worse. Clay would dominate their leagues.
Old 11-11-18, 01:03 PM
All Ohio

Smalls is on a distinguished road
Is it groundhog day? Think I heard this somewhere before. Good luck on your season.
Old 11-13-18, 09:33 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesrize View Post
Rossford even worse. Clay would dominate their leagues.
In the last 10 years "Eaglesrize", you are 5-14 vs TAAC and NBC. What do you see that others don't?
Old 11-26-18, 02:58 PM
All Ohio

Does anyone know where/if Woodley is playing college basketball this year?
Old 12-04-18, 09:48 AM
All Region

TAAC has started strong, but I am not sure how strong the competition has been.

Maumee Valley's win over Wellington is a good win.

Ottawa Hills keeping it close vs Evergreen is a positive sign.

Northwood and Emmanuel Christian should start 2-0.

Toledo Christian took care of business vs Gibsonburg.

Stritch vs Erie Mason tonight should be a good game. Erie Mason has a kid who averaged 20 ppg as a soph and a couple 6'7"-6'8" kids.
Old 12-05-18, 03:57 PM
All District

Trailsendcustom is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboard Palace View Post

Stritch vs Erie Mason tonight should be a good game. Erie Mason has a kid who averaged 20 ppg as a soph and a couple 6'7"-6'8" kids.
That's what I thought as well but this one got ugly early and stayed that way.
Old 12-05-18, 07:18 PM
All World

irish_buffalo will become famous soon enough
I watched for a half and EM did not belong. My fear with this CS team, although they bolstered their schedule, is not being tested until it is too late.
Old 12-06-18, 09:26 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
I watched for a half and EM did not belong. My fear with this CS team, although they bolstered their schedule, is not being tested until it is too late.
Would love to see them play the top of the TRAC. Maybe win some and maybe lose some.

MVCDS will give them everything they want 2x.

They can only control their non league games. They play Central who beat them last year, Evergreen who took them down to the wire each of the last 2 years and Norwalk who is always good.

The 4 games they will play in tournaments should all be against top level teams. Marion Local won the D4 State Championship, plus there are 2 20+ game winners and a team that went 32-1 last year in the Sonic Slam Tournament in Tennessee.

Last edited by Smalls; 12-06-18 at 09:48 AM.
Old 12-09-18, 10:38 AM
All World

irish_buffalo will become famous soon enough
Good points. I realize it is early I just hope those tough games do not come too few and far between because coasting causes bad habits from not only players but also coaches.

I watched Stritch pummel Bedford last night. Granted it is Bedford but Stritch's full court press completely consumed the Mules until they called off the dogs.

One big difference from this team to last years team IMO is defense. It would appear that every kid who plays substantially takes great pride in defense. This team has scorers but it is nice to see kids like the 6'6" Finch, who would be a scorer on a lessor team, take on that defensive role. In many instances that is tough for kids to do but this group is pretty unselfish and it does not seem as if these kids feel the need to "get theirs." Heck, Holifield who is the best player on the court most nights had 6 points last night.

Finch running the point on the press is pretty nice. Bedford really had no answer getting the ball past the time line. I'm unsure who #8(?) is but he plays some mean D when in the game as well. Cat quick.

Has Burton committed anywhere? I know Holyfield has multiple MAC offers and Cryer committed to Tiffin but what about Burton and Anderson? Anderson has a really nice frame at 6'3" and is second to no one at drawing a foul. Some guys just have that knack. Anyone looking at them? Finch has to be getting looks as there are many D-III/D-II schools that can use a 6'6"/6'7" defender that runs the court as well as he does.
Old 12-09-18, 08:09 PM
All District

Burton has some D2 stuff at this point. Anderson is a very good student as well so he could end up anywhere. #3 is a lightening quick sophomore. He's creative and stupid quick but 5'5" at best and 120 lbs.
Old 12-10-18, 12:55 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
Good points. I realize it is early I just hope those tough games do not come too few and far between because coasting causes bad habits from not only players but also coaches.

I watched Stritch pummel Bedford last night. Granted it is Bedford but Stritch's full court press completely consumed the Mules until they called off the dogs.

One big difference from this team to last years team IMO is defense. It would appear that every kid who plays substantially takes great pride in defense. This team has scorers but it is nice to see kids like the 6'6" Finch, who would be a scorer on a lessor team, take on that defensive role. In many instances that is tough for kids to do but this group is pretty unselfish and it does not seem as if these kids feel the need to "get theirs." Heck, Holifield who is the best player on the court most nights had 6 points last night.

Finch running the point on the press is pretty nice. Bedford really had no answer getting the ball past the time line. I'm unsure who #8(?) is but he plays some mean D when in the game as well. Cat quick.

Has Burton committed anywhere? I know Holyfield has multiple MAC offers and Cryer committed to Tiffin but what about Burton and Anderson? Anderson has a really nice frame at 6'3" and is second to no one at drawing a foul. Some guys just have that knack. Anyone looking at them? Finch has to be getting looks as there are many D-III/D-II schools that can use a 6'6"/6'7" defender that runs the court as well as he does.
I think they are better defensively this year for multiple reasons, but the biggest reason is effort. You don't see anyone taking a play off and no one jogs the floor on either end.

Holifield could score 20+ a night if he wanted, but understands the big picture and is helping to make the guys around him better for the end of the year. I expect him to put up big numbers in the big games and not worry about numbers in the laughers.

All 5 starters have several options to play college ball at one level or another.

The guys coming off the bench are very solid. Not as deep as last year, when they may have had too much depth......if that is possible.
Old 12-10-18, 01:09 PM
All Region

Toledo Area Athletic Conference
Cardinal Stritch 3 - 0 0 - 0
Maumee Valley Country Day 3 - 0 0 - 0
Emmanuel Christian 2 - 0 0 - 0
Northwood 2 - 0 0 - 0
Toledo Christian 2 - 0 0 - 0
Ottawa Hills 1 - 1 0 - 0

13-1 Start for the TAAC.
Old 12-10-18, 03:29 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboard Palace View Post

13-1 Start for the TAAC.
That's just like football, just the opposite. Pretty impressive really. Especially Northwood.
Old 12-11-18, 06:35 AM
All Ohio

cchs1983 is an unknown quantity at this point
Stritch have their hands full Thursday night with Evergreen?
Old 12-11-18, 08:57 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchs1983 View Post
Stritch have their hands full Thursday night with Evergreen?
I expect it to be a good game, down to the wire.

Stritch won the last two games 74-73 in OT and 57-54. I have been impressed with Evergreen both times I saw them. They have good athletes with some length and were very patient on offense. Loeffler might be able to win a NWO Ohio dunk contest, the kid can get up.

Some people on Yappi have seen the other side of Evergreen that I have not seen when playing Stritch (Losing to Swanton and Delta last year, teams that Stritch beat by close to 40 in a game and a scrimmage).
Old 12-11-18, 01:02 PM
All Ohio

I also hear Evergreen has the best most skilled freshman in NW Ohio.
Old 12-12-18, 09:37 PM
Junior Varsity

Fayette 79 is on a distinguished road
I see the Tournament assignments came out...Stritch and Evergreen should battle it out at Central Catholic for that District Title.

Archbold was sent South and will be in a District with Coldwater, Liberty Benton, and Ottawa Glandorf. Meat Grinder for sure!
Old 12-12-18, 10:20 PM
All Ohio

Don't forget about Genoa. They will be a top 10 D3 team in the state. I assume they will be at Central again.

Last edited by Smalls; 12-13-18 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Added D3
Old 12-12-18, 11:01 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayette 79 View Post
I see the Tournament assignments came out...Stritch and Evergreen should battle it out at Central Catholic for that District Title.

Archbold was sent South and will be in a District with Coldwater, Liberty Benton, and Ottawa Glandorf. Meat Grinder for sure!
Where did you see that at, I canít find it anywhere...
Old 12-13-18, 08:25 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchs1983 View Post
Where did you see that at, I canít find it anywhere...
NWDAB Site...click on boys basketball under tournaments header then click on divisional assignments. Looks like two pretty solid Division 3 sites between Central and Lima.
Old 12-13-18, 08:53 AM
Varsity

D1nwobb is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Stritch, Genoa, and Evergreen should battle it out in the Central Catholic district. At this point, there isn't a solid 4th team.

I wouldn't call the district at Lima Senior a meat grinder. Ottawa-Glandorf and Archbold the clear favorites. Coldwater probably the best of the rest but not a strong district at least early in the season once you get past the big two.

Maumee Valley, Toledo Christian, Ottawa Hills, and Emmanuel now in the D4 Fostoria district. Sectional sites are at Fremont Ross and Carey (a 70 mile trip for the Toledo area teams). Looks like the NWDAB has dropped the ball again.
Old 12-13-18, 11:11 AM
All American

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
Quote:

OG just beat LB 93-46 last weekend and it wasn't that close. Don't look for LB to be much of a factor come tourney time. Also, on a side note, LB has decided they won't play OG in the regular season after this year
Old 12-13-18, 01:14 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcgobucks View Post
OG just beat LB 93-46 last weekend and it wasn't that close. Don't look for LB to be much of a factor come tourney time. Also, on a side note, LB has decided they won't play OG in the regular season after this year
Thanks for the update...I think OG is going to be a tough out as usual. Not sure Archbold is as strong as in the past but could make some noise in tourney.

When I said meat grinder I meant for Archbold to get out...I am a fan of Fulton County Basketball. I agree that Central District has more depth as far as better teams.

Good move by LB to drop OG...there are many schools looking to pay LB back for what they have done over the years around the Findlay area.
Old 12-13-18, 01:24 PM
All Region

Archbold vs Ottawa Glandorf should be a nice match-up. Both lost a ton, but always seem to rebuild. I expect both of them to be rock solid come tournament time.

When I watched OG vs Bryan, OG's press didn't look as quick or long as last year, but still forced a ton of turnovers. Their ball movement was excellent as always.
Old 12-13-18, 04:50 PM
Freshman

T-town is on a distinguished road
Rumor is Woodley is attending U of Toledo just getting healthy, Lionel is training him. Heckuva trainer trained Anthony Glover Jr from St. Johns who's in the G-league I heard. Woodley's got a bright future 6-7 kid will be steal somewhere.
Old 12-13-18, 10:21 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-town View Post
Rumor is Woodley is attending U of Toledo just getting healthy, Lionel is training him. Heckuva trainer trained Anthony Glover Jr from St. Johns who's in the G-league I heard. Woodley's got a bright future 6-7 kid will be steal somewhere.
Good to hear. Good player, good young man.