Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Hockey (College/High School)

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-18-18, 10:51 AM
All American

sehs
St. Edward Hockey 2018-2019

The Eagles opened up their season with a 3-2 win over Holy Name and a 2-1 win over Erie Cathedral Prep. It was lost in the big football weekend against Mentor. The real question is, can they challenge St. Ignatius on the ice this year?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-18, 01:41 PM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
Ignatius began ts season by splitting two games with the Pttsburgh Predators in Pittburgh.
Old 11-24-18, 09:47 PM
All American

sehs
Interesting to hear 1990s rival Bowling Green has suspended their hockey program due to low numbers this year. From Ď95 to Ď98 it was St. Edís and Bowling Green in back to back to back to back state championships. The Eagles won two and Bowling Green won two. Bowling Green was a consistent semifinalist into the early 2000s but it seems the Toledo area programs became much better and Bowling Greenís high school numbers for their team went down.

I hope to see them get the program back on track in the next couple of years. Hockey in Ohio goes through interesting phases. The Southern part of the state has grown in terms of numbers and quality programs but the power remains in the Northern half.
Old 12-01-18, 11:22 AM
Varsity

TheDude89 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sehs View Post
Interesting to hear 1990s rival Bowling Green has suspended their hockey program due to low numbers this year. From Ď95 to Ď98 it was St. Edís and Bowling Green in back to back to back to back state championships. The Eagles won two and Bowling Green won two. Bowling Green was a consistent semifinalist into the early 2000s but it seems the Toledo area programs became much better and Bowling Greenís high school numbers for their team went down.

I hope to see them get the program back on track in the next couple of years. Hockey in Ohio goes through interesting phases. The Southern part of the state has grown in terms of numbers and quality programs but the power remains in the Northern half.
BG is hoping to be back as soon as next year but it will be with a new coach. This age group has always had low participation numbers as they progressed through youth hockey. They would've been able to field a small team this year, 10-12 kids maybe. but some of the kids chose not to play because they (or their parents) had issues with the coach. So they ran him off, after 28 years coaching there, due to the opinions of a few disgruntled individuals. One longtime assistant was already set to step down and the other is the coaches son so they'll be looking elsewhere for a replacement.

It'll be interesting to see who they get and how the remaining players respond. There are a decent number of kids in youth hockey who will be freshmen next year. The youth program is also giving priority to BG kids over those from other communities (10 kids per travel team must be from BG). That should help the HS team down the line.
Old 12-01-18, 09:59 PM
Scatologist

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
6x State Champs suspending their program? Sad.
Old 12-02-18, 01:25 AM
All Yappi

Ignatius beat something called the Pittsburgh Vengenance 7-2. I really dislike what has become of the Ignatius hockey program. They don't even play an Ohio team until their 11th game (Ed's). It just sockens me to see a highschool program go semi-pro.
Old 12-02-18, 04:02 PM
All Ohio

clevelandcane
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post
Ignatius beat something called the Pittsburgh Vengenance 7-2. I really dislike what has become of the Ignatius hockey program. They don't even play an Ohio team until their 11th game (Ed's). It just sockens me to see a highschool program go semi-pro.
I agree. We don't get to watch. They travel all the time. I do understand it though. Recently, they don't have much competition outside of about 3 teams in the area. I guess if this model helps atteact the best kids then that's okay.
Old 12-02-18, 07:59 PM
Scatologist

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
The strange thing is Ignatius seemingly rejected that athletic philosophy for football and other sports even if opportunities were presented
Old 12-03-18, 12:22 AM
All Yappi

Apparently there's no avenging in the Pittsburgh Avengence as they fell to the IceCats by the same 7-2 score.
Old 12-04-18, 02:19 PM
Varsity

TheDude89 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post
They don't even play an Ohio team until their 11th game (Ed's).
And it's their only game against an Ohio team all year until states. Not making an appearance in the Padua tournament as the did last year.

It's unconventional but if they keep being successful and moving kids on to good leagues it will be here to stay.
Old 12-05-18, 11:16 AM
All Yappi

I am very surprised and disappointed that the Ignatius administration allowed the hockey team and its coach to take this course of action. It seems to be counter to every thing that Ignatius is supposed to stand for.
Old 12-10-18, 12:25 PM
All Yappi

Ignatius beat two schools from Michigan over the weekend, wining each game by a goal.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: