Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-26-18, 10:08 PM
All American

yappimember67 is on a distinguished road
Chl 2018-2019

Might as well get the conversation started. Interested to see how the league turns out after Deer Park won the league last year.

I know Deer Park lost some guys and I'm not really sure what their team will look like this year. Wyoming should bringing be back a lot from a pretty good team last year.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-18, 10:58 PM
All Ohio

chlnewbie is on a distinguished road
Deer Park still has enough horses to dominate again
Old 10-27-18, 12:41 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlnewbie View Post
Deer Park still has enough horses to dominate again
With some new guys are the guys they bring back?

From what I see they return Wise, Gentry Jr, Athie, Hocker, younger McEntire.

Lost older McEntire, Rose and Blair.
Old 10-28-18, 04:12 PM
Varsity

Sports Jock and Chad is on a distinguished road
Deer Park again...rumour has it the 6'11 kid from Withrow was transferring in...not sure if that happened...Wyoming. IH and Madeira will scrap it out for 2 thru 4...Another rumour straight out of the Park itself is that Gentry is taking Jr. and Wise with him to a prep school next year to give them better looks from colleges since neither play on national level AAU teams
Old 10-28-18, 07:18 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports Jock and Chad View Post
Deer Park again...rumour has it the 6'11 kid from Withrow was transferring in...not sure if that happened...Wyoming. IH and Madeira will scrap it out for 2 thru 4...Another rumour straight out of the Park itself is that Gentry is taking Jr. and Wise with him to a prep school next year to give them better looks from colleges since neither play on national level AAU teams
If you're referring to Abba Lawal, he is still playing at Withrow this year from what I know.
Old 10-29-18, 08:49 AM
All Ohio

Youknow is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yes abba lawal is still playing at Withrow. Not surprised him trying to take those two to prep. I believe they are trying to hitch their wagons to Manimal Elite. Deer Park will have enough to win the CHL again.
Old 11-28-18, 12:13 PM
All American

Predictions?

Does Deer Park repeat?
Wyoming returning a lot from last year's team, how do they compete?
Madeira and Indian Hill?

I think Mariemont, Reading, Finneytown and Taylor will have some rough years.
Old 11-29-18, 08:35 AM
Varsity

Deer Park repeats but may have a loss or 2....I see Wyoming, Madeira and Indian Hill really scrapping...should be great games between the 3 of them...
Old 11-29-18, 09:23 AM
Varsity

Kurt Rambis is on a distinguished road
I have a feeling Wyoming will take the cake
Old 11-30-18, 07:46 PM
All Ohio

elks78 is on a distinguished road
Deer park only loses if they play badly against wyoming. They have 2 of the top3 guards in Wise and Gentry, the best big man in Hocker lots of changeable parts. The only team challenging them will be Purcell. After that wyoming, IH, Madeira.
Old 12-02-18, 11:37 AM
All Region

MooseJaw is on a distinguished road
Looks like Wyoming kids (Prater and Edmonds) can now finally start practicing basketball. Late start but well worth the wait - congrats on bringing a state championship to the CHL
Old 12-03-18, 12:10 PM
All American

Jerry Maguire is an unknown quantity at this point
I assume the Rogers kid is playing basketball as well, so him too. CHL will again come down to Wyoming and Deer Park. Madeira and IH will battle for 2nd.

Reading, Mariemont, and Taylor will be 5, 6 and 7 in any order with Finneytown finishing at the bottom again.

Taylor is pretty young and the JV should have a pretty good year so Taylor could be on the rise the next couple years.
Old 12-03-18, 02:56 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Maguire View Post
I assume the Rogers kid is playing basketball as well, so him too. CHL will again come down to Wyoming and Deer Park. Madeira and IH will battle for 2nd.

Reading, Mariemont, and Taylor will be 5, 6 and 7 in any order with Finneytown finishing at the bottom again.

Taylor is pretty young and the JV should have a pretty good year so Taylor could be on the rise the next couple years.
I'm guessing you mean battle for 3rd? I'd guess Deer Park/Wyoming would be 1/2, followed by IH/Madeira and then the rest.

I'm interested to see how Wyoming does against Deer Park this year. I don't think Deer Park is quite as good this year and Wyoming brings back a lot of guys from last year. They aren't very deep, but Wyoming has the returning POY in Edmonds, a great athlete in Prater, a solid sophomore in Isaiah Walker, and then guys like McGee, Gray, and O'Gara who got some playing time as sophomores last year. We'll see in less than 2 weeks.
Old 12-03-18, 06:04 PM
Varsity

Looks like Deer Park only played 5 players on Friday night...at least according to the stats on Cincinnati.com...that could be trouble if there are fouls, injuries etc..
Old 12-03-18, 06:06 PM
Varsity

I stand corrected...they played a bunch of guys!
Old 12-03-18, 09:56 PM
All American

Quote:
I stand corrected...they played a bunch of guys!
They played a bunch of guys, but only 5 players scored and only 6 players even attempted a shot (even in a 20 point game). I don't think Deer Park is real deep this year and there's definitely quite the drop off in talent as you get into their bench.
Old 12-04-18, 11:37 AM
All District

Ilsco is on a distinguished road
I was at the Mariemont - Seven Hills game on Saturday and I think Mariemont will sneak up on some teams. Some good young talent and rangy size. I think a .500 record is achievable.

However, after listening to parents and others on Saturday and over the past years this program is a mess and the laughing stock of Cincinnati basketball. In the last 10 years Mariemont parents have run off four pretty good coaches who have all left and found quite a bit of success at other schools. Maybe it is like this at every school but some of these parents are delusional. At some point you have to realize that it may not always be coaching - sometimes the kids are just not as good as other teams. You could have Coach K coaching the team from last year and they are not going to beat Deer Park or Wyoming.

Mariemont is a great school and community with some very successful athletic programs across the board. For some reason, however, the boys basketball program continues to bring in and then run out coaches on a regular basis at the whim of some crazy parents.

The best of luck to Coach Caldwell and the team this year as I really do think they will have a pretty good season. Unfortunately in two years Caldwell will probably be forced out like the previous coaches when little Johnny's parents don't understand why Johnny doesn't get to play more since he is obviously a DI prospect.
Old 12-04-18, 02:27 PM
All Region

The Mariemont and Terrace Park youth basketball programs are well known for their delusional and over zealous parents and coaches. It just keeps flowing upstream until high school when the parents get even more desperate that Johnny isn't going to be a star and then they blame the coach. Sad but true.
Old 12-04-18, 03:32 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilsco View Post
I was at the Mariemont - Seven Hills game on Saturday and I think Mariemont will sneak up on some teams. Some good young talent and rangy size. I think a .500 record is achievable.

However, after listening to parents and others on Saturday and over the past years this program is a mess and the laughing stock of Cincinnati basketball. In the last 10 years Mariemont parents have run off four pretty good coaches who have all left and found quite a bit of success at other schools. Maybe it is like this at every school but some of these parents are delusional. At some point you have to realize that it may not always be coaching - sometimes the kids are just not as good as other teams. You could have Coach K coaching the team from last year and they are not going to beat Deer Park or Wyoming.

Mariemont is a great school and community with some very successful athletic programs across the board. For some reason, however, the boys basketball program continues to bring in and then run out coaches on a regular basis at the whim of some crazy parents.

The best of luck to Coach Caldwell and the team this year as I really do think they will have a pretty good season. Unfortunately in two years Caldwell will probably be forced out like the previous coaches when little Johnny's parents don't understand why Johnny doesn't get to play more since he is obviously a DI prospect.
This post is absolutely correct. I know many of the parents of the juniors and seniors on Mariemont's team. If you ask the parents (and some of the players), the coach didn't play their child because of either some personal vendetta or the coach didn't know what they were doing. These types of parents have been around Mariemont for a long time, which is why you have coaches like Scott Kerr or Steve Ellis leave and find success in other places.

The other problem for Mariemont is that their best basketball players don't even play. Some of their football/soccer guys like Renie, Cowart, and McClorey would be their best players. Cowart was one of the best players in the 2019 class before quitting his freshman year. Unfortunately, someone has convinced many of the Mariemont boys that they should "specialize" in certain sports like football or lacrosse and pass up on other sports.
Old 12-04-18, 04:24 PM
Varsity

I was at the Mariemont game Saturday as well...I think Caldwell is doing a great job....he played 11 players in a tight game...kept preaching fundamentals...Kids seem to buy in...parents? who knows...sad that kids specialize...you are only young and in high school once...at a small school you can play a few sports and have fun with your buddies!....Trust me...that time is short...and not many opportunities to play sports/games when you are older...entitled parents and kids run many coaches off...the situation down there was more than that this past time...
Old 12-04-18, 05:23 PM
All Region

Quote:
I was at the Mariemont game Saturday as well...I think Caldwell is doing a great job....he played 11 players in a tight game...kept preaching fundamentals...Kids seem to buy in...parents? who knows...sad that kids specialize...you are only young and in high school once...at a small school you can play a few sports and have fun with your buddies!....Trust me...that time is short...and not many opportunities to play sports/games when you are older...entitled parents and kids run many coaches off...the situation down there was more than that this past time...
I would say it's probably the opposite, especially in the CHL. Most of the CHL kids that have gone on to play D1/D2 college sports recently did not specialize in just one sport. Benintendi/Madeira, Marty-Prater-Edmonds/Wyoming, Cravaack-Weiczorek/Madeira, Oakes-Thornton/IH, Hocker/DP, etc. All of these played other sports.
Old 12-04-18, 06:34 PM
All American

SirStanley is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseJaw View Post
I would say it's probably the opposite, especially in the CHL. Most of the CHL kids that have gone on to play D1/D2 college sports recently did not specialize in just one sport. Benintendi/Madeira, Marty-Prater-Edmonds/Wyoming, Cravaack-Weiczorek/Madeira, Oakes-Thornton/IH, Hocker/DP, etc. All of these played other sports.
Great point, especially with CHL hoops. I'd bet over 90% of all-league players over the past decade were multi-sport players.
Old 12-04-18, 09:11 PM
All American

Quote:
I wish more players realized this. I've had many middle/high school age kids tell me that they aren't playing basketball to "specialize" or "focus" on other sports. Rarely do those players actually go on to do anything special in those sports. Like someone else said, most of the best players in the league play 2 or 3 sports throughout the year. I'd guess that most collegiate players are multi-sport athletes as well. It's too bad that high school kids are wasting that time they have to play.
Old 12-04-18, 10:30 PM
All Ohio

coltfan76 is on a distinguished road
https://blogs.usafootball.com/blog/6...sport-athletes

91% of NFL First round draft picks this year were multi sport athletes in high school.
Old 12-04-18, 10:36 PM
All District

Ilsco is on a distinguished road
my last comment on this as I realize the thread has moved away from basketball. I think if left to their own choices most players would love to play multiple sports. Parents, with the help of club soccer, AAU basketball, club lacrosse, etc., are led to believe that their kids have real potential to play at the next level and get a scholarship if they really focus on one sport. This leads to burn out and decent players who just walk away from their sport because it is no longer fun.

Don't get me wrong, there are players who do benefit from focusing on a sport and some players really have a love for a particular sport. However, most high school players would rather play the sport in season with their friends and in front of their classmates. Players generally know if they have the ability to compete at the next level in any particular sport- it is the parents that are either not realistic about their kids ability, or don't want to be realistic.

If it sounds like I am frustrated with parents, I am
Old 12-06-18, 08:42 PM
Varsity

right on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilsco View Post
my last comment on this as I realize the thread has moved away from basketball. I think if left to their own choices most players would love to play multiple sports. Parents, with the help of club soccer, AAU basketball, club lacrosse, etc., are led to believe that their kids have real potential to play at the next level and get a scholarship if they really focus on one sport. This leads to burn out and decent players who just walk away from their sport because it is no longer fun.

Don't get me wrong, there are players who do benefit from focusing on a sport and some players really have a love for a particular sport. However, most high school players would rather play the sport in season with their friends and in front of their classmates. Players generally know if they have the ability to compete at the next level in any particular sport- it is the parents that are either not realistic about their kids ability, or don't want to be realistic.
If it sounds like I am frustrated with parents, I am
Right on! Club sports, for the most part, are run for profit so it benefits THEM for a kid to focus...Most kids in the CHL I think are playing several sports...Except for the ones with delusional parents who's delusions are fueled by trainers ($$) and Clubs ($$)
Old 12-06-18, 08:43 PM
Varsity

On a basketball note...one of the starters for Indian Hill was injured against Anderson on Tuesday...that shakes up the race for second in the league
Old 12-07-18, 11:32 AM
All Ohio

Yeoman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It's one of the advantages of these smaller public schools. A friend's son in a much larger district in the Chicago suburbs played football and basketball in junior high but was told by the high school coaches he was going to have to choose one because they didn't allow their players to play multiple sports.

They moved to a new district that wasn't so miserly with their extracurricular opportunities...one of the few times I've fully supported a student's decision to change schools for athletic reasons.

I think there's a huge athletic advantage, in the long run, to not specializing too early, even for those few athletes that really do have a future in professional sports. For one thing, I think there's a lot to be gained mentally by someone at that level if he forces himself to compete in a sport where he's not quite so advantaged. Anybody think Benintendi hasn't benefited from his basketball experience?

But maybe there are physical advantages to learning to use your body in different sports too. I saw a very interesting interview last summer with Dimitry Tursunov, a retired professional tennis player who's now a coach. He's working with Aryna Sabalenka--here's how it starts:

Quote:
WTA Insider: What do you think has been the key to her rise this summer?
Tursunov: She's extremely athletic. Not so coordinated yet, but a lot of people tend to forget that she's 20 and she's still sort of developing and learning how to get into her body. And I think men, in general, at the younger age, they're a lot more athletic in terms of they just play a lot more games, whether it's soccer football or baseball. It's a natural way of learning how to coordinate your limbs. And so obviously girls tend to do a little bit less of that.

I think those girls that are very coordinated, they're generally very coordinated because they've been exposed to a lot of different sports and they're able to learn how to move. So I think she's going to get better.
Here's someone that's top-15 in the world, and her coach is lamenting the fact that she's not all that well coordinated because she focused too early on tennis and wasn't exposed to other sports. And the implication is that it's endemic.

I found that amazing.
Old 12-07-18, 12:11 PM
Varsity

Malibu
A couple of league match ups tonight.

Mariemont visits Finneytown
Indian Hill visits Madeira

I'll be curious to see how the Madeira/IH game nets out. Rivalry match up, but early in the year...
Old 12-07-18, 10:53 PM
All American

No undefeated season this year.

Deer Park gets their first loss to Taft tonight. I didn't see the game, but from what I heard Deer Park's lack of depth hurt them a bit.