Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-29-18, 10:45 AM
All World

jmog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat71 View Post
Canton Fieldhouse tops. Love they have all 4 old h.s. represented, McKinley, Timken, Lehman and Lincoln. My grandfather was principal at McK when it opened I believe. Also as a Mogadore alumnus, have to include the great old Mogadore gym. No longer standing, but when built was one of the best around. Small court, theater seating and stage at 1 and. When 3 point shots came into play and line was put on court, you had to stand with your feet sideways to make the shot! Also the lights hung low and a high shot would hit them!! Wish I had picture to share.
Not to mention in that gym if you went diving to save a ball from going out of bounds you could end up with a concussion from the cement stands/steps that were right next to the OOB.

The state for the home high school students was always rowdy.

"season tickets" and assigned chairs for those who had bought them with their name on the seat was a nice touch.

Good Old Ritchie's chair is now an actual seat you can sit in at the Clay Oven Restaurtant in town.
Old 11-29-18, 12:45 PM
All World

CometCountry is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by HardCorps
Hey Coach, How did Wade E Miller rate as far as a venue for a big game?

Best HS gym I ever played in and coached in IMO from a history standpoint---went to my first tourney game at Wade E. Miller in 1967 when the Oxford District was split between there and Withrow Court at Miami U.--saw Hamilton Taft play a 16-2 Hamilton Badin--the place was packed with everyone from Hamilton and it was 25 degrees outside, but 90 degrees in the Miller with windows open in the top row. What a special place with the banners and the softest rims in SW Ohio--hard not to be a good shooter on those babies.

The GMC games with Middletown, Hamilton Taft and Garfield, Fairfield, and Princeton were fantastic in the 60's and 70's and as a coach in the league in the 80's and 90's when Lakota and Lima were added made it great basketball--literally you had to be at the JV game at tipoff to get a seat for the rest of the night--those gyms were the place to be on Friday nights--great memories!!
Old 11-29-18, 07:19 PM
All Region

HardCorps is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CometCountry View Post
Originally Posted by HardCorps
Hey Coach, How did Wade E Miller rate as far as a venue for a big game?

Best HS gym I ever played in and coached in IMO from a history standpoint---went to my first tourney game at Wade E. Miller in 1967 when the Oxford District was split between there and Withrow Court at Miami U.--saw Hamilton Taft play a 16-2 Hamilton Badin--the place was packed with everyone from Hamilton and it was 25 degrees outside, but 90 degrees in the Miller with windows open in the top row. What a special place with the banners and the softest rims in SW Ohio--hard not to be a good shooter on those babies.

The GMC games with Middletown, Hamilton Taft and Garfield, Fairfield, and Princeton were fantastic in the 60's and 70's and as a coach in the league in the 80's and 90's when Lakota and Lima were added made it great basketball--literally you had to be at the JV game at tipoff to get a seat for the rest of the night--those gyms were the place to be on Friday nights--great memories!!
My dad took me to watch games up through the Cris Carter time frame. The place was packed, crazy, and loud. We moved away and when I moved back I started going to some games. I think the last good team I watched is when they had the point guard that went to Miami and the forward that went to Purdue. Fairfield (they had an excellent team) came to Wade E. and they travelled well that day, and that was that was the last great game that I watched there. The game was clean, no trash talking, the players were giving 110%, it was down to the wire. Good times.
Old 11-29-18, 09:48 PM
All Ohio

Scipio is on a distinguished road
From when I was in grade school thru HS in 70ís and 80ís:
Struthers Fieldhouse
Barberton
And even more than my own Alma mater WGH, the magnificent gym at Warren Western Reserve.
Old 11-29-18, 11:43 PM
All World

irish_buffalo will become famous soon enough
Toledo Waite, Libbey, and Scott. HS basketball cathedrals.
Old 11-30-18, 10:49 AM
All Ohio

coachablekid is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by C'Town216 View Post
Here are pics of the gyms mentioned above.

Africentric:

Newark:

Hamilton Township:

Columbus Mifflin:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks!
Old 11-30-18, 11:00 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio View Post
From when I was in grade school thru HS in 70’s and 80’s:
Struthers Fieldhouse
Barberton
And even more than my own Alma mater WGH, the magnificent gym at Warren Western Reserve.
WWR did have a great basketball gym, I think they hosted some Districts but not sure. I also want to say that I saw WWR play Warren JFK back in the early '80s there, JFK had some great teams in that era and played WGH too. Had a guy named Timko being one of the key players. The thing I remember the most about them though was they had these lousy jerseys with sleeves and a crazy star motif. Maybe we should do a thread Favorite old/new school unis in Ohio.
Old 11-30-18, 06:36 PM
All Region

Champ Kind is on a distinguished road
The Mausoleum at Arcadia is a great place to watch a game. You can sit almost anywhere and the popcorn is outstanding.

Old 12-03-18, 06:34 PM
All American

sehs
I'm a fan of game atmosphere when thinking about a gym. Ignatius, Central Catholic and Benedictine have you feel like you are in the old Boston Garden for a big game. The aisles are narrow, the crowd is right on top of the court. The Eagles' Nest at St. Ed's is a fantastic atmosphere when the student section is on the stage for a big game. VASJ's gym is ok now, I think it was better back in the day.

As far as places that I enjoy watching a game regardless of the above. The Canton Civic Center is just a neat venue, feels very old school and the sound just echoes down it seems. Elyria Catholic also has a very unique gym that's a good place to watch a game. One of the best high school games I ever saw was at Garfield Height's gym in 2011 or 2010, when a run and gun St. Ed's team took on Trey Lewis' Garfield Heights team, lost by 3 something like 81-78.
Old 12-03-18, 07:25 PM
All American

C'Town216 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sehs View Post
I'm a fan of game atmosphere when thinking about a gym. Ignatius, Central Catholic and Benedictine have you feel like you are in the old Boston Garden for a big game. The aisles are narrow, the crowd is right on top of the court. The Eagles' Nest at St. Ed's is a fantastic atmosphere when the student section is on the stage for a big game. VASJ's gym is ok now, I think it was better back in the day.

As far as places that I enjoy watching a game regardless of the above. The Canton Civic Center is just a neat venue, feels very old school and the sound just echoes down it seems. Elyria Catholic also has a very unique gym that's a good place to watch a game. One of the best high school games I ever saw was at Garfield Height's gym in 2011 or 2010, when a run and gun St. Ed's team took on Trey Lewis' Garfield Heights team, lost by 3 something like 81-78.

I think most St.Joes/VASJ alums that attended the school from 91-2014 can say the old design of the gym was better. Donít get me wrong, itís nice to not have a modernized gym, sort of, and not to worry about splinters on your @$$ but the old bleachers paint job and baskets with the center hung scoreboard gave it the charm that many alums fell in love with the Purple Palace. Now it feels bland with too much blue and beige bleachers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-03-18, 08:07 PM
Varsity

foul ball is on a distinguished road
The new gym at Defiance High School is also state of the art. In two years when the new high school is completed Rossford will have an out of sight facility also.
Old 12-04-18, 07:24 AM
All Ohio

Scipio is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
WWR did have a great basketball gym, I think they hosted some Districts but not sure. I also want to say that I saw WWR play Warren JFK back in the early '80s there, JFK had some great teams in that era and played WGH too. Had a guy named Timko being one of the key players. The thing I remember the most about them though was they had these lousy jerseys with sleeves and a crazy star motif. Maybe we should do a thread Favorite old/new school unis in Ohio.
Bruce and Andy Timko. I watched them play against both WGH and WWR. Excellent athletes. I think one played Baseball at YSU.
Old 12-04-18, 09:07 AM
All Region

Orrville Man is on a distinguished road
Orrville high schools OLD GYM, the NEW gym sucks