Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > Elder Panthers

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-11-17, 05:27 PM
All Region

ogealbhain is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMantle View Post
I heard about that. I never ever considered it. Visi is closer and a better option, so it sounds like the diocese was trying to pump up St. Als Ohio rather than serve St. Joes kids.
That assumption is exactly in line with the Church's approach.
Old 10-11-17, 07:55 PM
All American

CincyHSFootballFan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by trey2k View Post
That may be true...but that argument is kind of irrelevant to enrollment at Elder.

Alums care abut Elder, not as much as what's going on in Price Hill. I know there are some very passionate about Price Hill, but it's a small percentage.

Again, before you jump down my throat, I'm not saying you're wrong, I just don't think it much impacts Elder.
If Elder capitalizes on the opportunity the next decade in Price Hill, enrollment will increase slightly. St. Lawarence is now one of the largest enrollment wise schools I have been told by their pastor. Over 400 kids. Holy Family has a very sizable enrollment as well. St. Williams is starting to reverse their trends of enrollment.
Old 10-12-17, 01:05 PM
All Yappi

Don Flamenco
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHSFootballFan View Post
If Elder capitalizes on the opportunity the next decade in Price Hill, enrollment will increase slightly. St. Lawarence is now one of the largest enrollment wise schools I have been told by their pastor. Over 400 kids. Holy Family has a very sizable enrollment as well. St. Williams is starting to reverse their trends of enrollment.
That is good news. I knew Holy Family's enrollment has been increasing at a pretty solid rate over the last several years. I didn't know that about St. Lawrence, but even better. Elder needs to capitalize on that though. It's been disturbing to see so many kids from St Lawrence, St Dominic and a couple other feeders choose other catholic high schools. It's all about marketing and reaching out. Elder needs to step it up big-time from that standpoint.
Old 10-12-17, 01:11 PM
All Yappi

Don Flamenco
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMantle View Post
I heard about that. I never ever considered it. Visi is closer and a better option, so it sounds like the diocese was trying to pump up St. Als Ohio rather than serve St. Joes kids.
Yeah I have no clue what the Archdiocese line of thinking was with that. They are so bad at this kind of stuff. It was obvious to me they didn't bother to put much time and effort into serving the St Joe's families. All it did was turn a bunch of people off.
Old 10-13-17, 05:56 AM
All District

superduper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Flamenco View Post
Yeah I have no clue what the Archdiocese line of thinking was with that. They are so bad at this kind of stuff. It was obvious to me they didn't bother to put much time and effort into serving the St Joe's families. All it did was turn a bunch of people off.
Archdiocese....turn a bunch of people off? That never happens.......
Old 10-13-17, 08:17 AM
All American

CincyHSFootballFan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
That is good news. I knew Holy Family's enrollment has been increasing at a pretty solid rate over the last several years. I didn't know that about St. Lawrence, but even better. Elder needs to capitalize on that though. It's been disturbing to see so many kids from St Lawrence, St Dominic and a couple other feeders choose other catholic high schools. It's all about marketing and reaching out. Elder needs to step it up big-time from that standpoint.
Vouchers are the key to this enrollment gain, along with Carson's issue becoming such a huge media story. Elder now needs to get out to these schools and make sure these new families in catholic schools understand Elder is inclusive and offers the ability of all families to afford attending no matter their financial situation. Elder will be a much more diverse school in 10 years if they can capitalize and I think that would be a great thing.
Old 10-13-17, 05:40 PM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Did anyone else notice Elder's Open House signs? It was in small print and I may have read it wrong but I think it said something about each kid getting an automatic $1000 scholarship if they go to the open house and ultimately decide to attend Elder.
Saw it in the Pride today, if the student shows up to campus during the Open House they will be entered into a drawing for a $1000 tuition grant.

Additionally in the Pride there was a 5-6 page edition of the Purple Quill "Junior High Edition." This was directed specifically at potential students with messages from teachers, faculty, students, etc. Might have been more beneficial to send just that section as opposed to using it as an insert within the Pride, but it was well put together IMO.
Old 10-14-17, 11:49 AM
All Region

MilesAhead
Most of it is cost. When I graduated Elder, tuition was around $1100. A good, solid middle class household income was around $30-35,000, so a Catholic HS education represented about 1/30th of the pretax income for the family. A lot of families could handle that without too much sacrifice. The tuition now is around $13,000. In order to keep the same ration of income/tuition expense, the family needs to be making $390,000. Not too many of these going around.

With the expense relatively low back in the day, it made sense to send kids there who were going to be working blue-collar jobs. Probably half my class did not go on to a 4 year college after graduation. Unless a family is truly committed to the idea of a faith-based education, it makes zero sense to send a non-college-bound student to a school that will cost over $50,000 by the time he is done.
Old 10-14-17, 02:37 PM
Varsity

IKS is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesAhead View Post
Most of it is cost. When I graduated Elder, tuition was around $1100. A good, solid middle class household income was around $30-35,000, so a Catholic HS education represented about 1/30th of the pretax income for the family. A lot of families could handle that without too much sacrifice. The tuition now is around $13,000. In order to keep the same ration of income/tuition expense, the family needs to be making $390,000. Not too many of these going around.

With the expense relatively low back in the day, it made sense to send kids there who were going to be working blue-collar jobs. Probably half my class did not go on to a 4 year college after graduation. Unless a family is truly committed to the idea of a faith-based education, it makes zero sense to send a non-college-bound student to a school that will cost over $50,000 by the time he is done.
You are absolutely correct that the relative cost today is much more than your era at Elder. But, I think your analysis may over state the relative cost to household income. The tuition has increased at a rate much higher than inflation over that period. But not all other things in the household budget have. Your analysis makes that assumption. If you remove the 1100 from the 35000 and escalate the difference at the rate of inflation and add the tuition difference, you'd probably get the earnings needed today. Lots of other moving pieces, but under your scenario, Elder would be out of business along time ago. But again, your overall point of a tuition/earnings ratio is a good one.
Old 10-23-17, 04:25 AM
All Region

4GX is on a distinguished road
This is concerning

Elder has got to find a way to fix this decline--- for Elder to have fallen below Moeller in enrollment is shocking to me-- I always figured Purcell (and then Roger Bacon) for the next consolidation/elimination of a Catholic HS in Cincy--with Purcell getting folded into Moeller, and then (eventually) RB as well--but if this keeps up, Elder and LaSalle will be neck-and-neck with Purcell/Moeller for being the next merged schools--kind of ironic, as LaSalle and Moeller were the original expansions, to accommodate the families of Baby Boomers that were moving further out to the (then) hinterlands of Greater Cincinnati at that time.
Old 10-23-17, 05:50 AM
All Yappi

PURPLE REIGN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4GX View Post
Elder has got to find a way to fix this decline--- for Elder to have fallen below Moeller in enrollment is shocking to me-- I always figured Purcell (and then Roger Bacon) for the next consolidation/elimination of a Catholic HS in Cincy--with Purcell getting folded into Moeller, and then (eventually) RB as well--but if this keeps up, Elder and LaSalle will be neck-and-neck with Purcell/Moeller for being the next merged schools--kind of ironic, as LaSalle and Moeller were the original expansions, to accommodate the families of Baby Boomers that were moving further out to the (then) hinterlands of Greater Cincinnati at that time.
I don't believe it's at all close to happening but Elder will merge with Seton before they merge with LaSalle