Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > Elder Panthers

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-24-17, 01:14 PM
All Yappi

EHS 2001 is on a distinguished road
Adam Ryan still has the single season record for most TD passes with 34--no one else since 1980 has thrown even 30. He also has the record for most completions in a season with 156. I think we can say he's the best 1 year starting QB Elder's ever had.
Old 08-24-17, 02:28 PM
All Yappi

Spille is on a distinguished road
If I'm not mistaken, Ryan holds the Wilmington record for career passing TD's and passing yards. I also believe he held a D3 record at one point, not sure if it still stands.

Johnny Lammers was a fine QB for Elder and Ryan was not just a QB. He started in the secondary as a junior in 95. I contended then that their roles should have been reversed.
Old 08-24-17, 02:29 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Flamenco View Post
The 96 game was the one that was suspended and played the following night.

And I agree with you on Adam Ryan. It's so hard to pick just one. Elder's had a ton of great QB's throughout the years.
You are right I'm sure, that was so long ago, not really sure what my mind remembers.
Old 08-24-17, 03:04 PM
All American

Taco MacArthur can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spille View Post
If I'm not mistaken, Ryan holds the Wilmington record for career passing TD's and passing yards. I also believe he held a D3 record at one point, not sure if it still stands.

Johnny Lammers was a fine QB for Elder and Ryan was not just a QB. He started in the secondary as a junior in 95. I contended then that their roles should have been reversed.
All I could find for Adam Ryan in the D3 record books on ncaa.org were:
1) comes in at 16th all time in D3 for Career Yards Per Game minimum 5,000 yards (312.5)
2) comes in at 13th all time in D3 for Career Yards Per Game minimum 4,500 yards (305.9)
3) Highest Average Gain Per Play in a season at 12.4

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/footba...ds/2017/D3.pdf
^ Ctrl + F and typing Adam Ryan will highlight his name
Old 08-24-17, 05:43 PM
All Region

typeman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
It depends on how you define best. Are we talking record, stats, or ability? Going off on the field production mixed with talent:

1. Keller
2. Miller
3. Ramsey

I'd have Bolger and Ryan as honorable mentions.

Florian was a great leader, but his stats are dwarfed by those 3 and he had the benefit of playing with the best RB and OL on school history.
If you are saying "all-time" you must include Steve Tensi and Ron Krechting.
Old 08-24-17, 07:30 PM
All Yappi

PantherVOR is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Florian was a great leader, but his stats are dwarfed by those 3 and he had the benefit of playing with the best RB and OL on school history.
Excellent RB and OL, best in school history is a stretch.
Old 08-24-17, 07:37 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeman View Post
Scott Moeschl too
Old 08-24-17, 07:40 PM
All Yappi

Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherVOR View Post
Excellent RB and OL, best in school history is a stretch.
Glatthaar is one of the best RBs in the history of the state. The OL had all 5 play at the next level and Eric Wood coming in as blocking TE.
Old 08-24-17, 07:46 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeman View Post
How often did those guys have to throw the ball? Those 3 guys played in Pass Heavy Offenses.
Old 08-24-17, 08:05 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Glatthaar is one of the best RBs in the history of the state. The OL had all 5 play at the next level and Eric Wood coming in as blocking TE.
I believe '77 team had 4 of 5 plus the TE receive D1 scholarships. Not sure about the the 5th olineman.

And your comment on Glatthaar is just stupid.

Last edited by PantherVOR; 08-24-17 at 08:36 PM.
Old 08-24-17, 10:32 PM
All Yappi

Glatthaar is nowhere close to being one of the best RB in the history of the state. Maybe the most assinine comment I've ever heard.
Old 08-25-17, 05:52 AM
All Region

Fair&Balanced is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherVOR View Post
I believe '77 team had 4 of 5 plus the TE receive D1 scholarships. Not sure about the the 5th olineman.

And your comment on Glatthaar is just stupid.
You are right in both statements. The '77 team also had Moeschl who was a DI QB (Wisconsin) and RB Paul Drennan who played DI at Miami University. "The philosopher" probably wasn't born yet to know about that team. That line was as big or bigger than any other o-line Elder had considering the time period.

Moe beat Elder on a fake field goal...Elder also fumbled at the goal line. .Otherwise, Elder could have been state champs and national champs which Moeller was. It was very difficult to make the playoffs back then, especially when your tenth game was on Thanksgiving Day. That Moeller team was also loaded.
Old 08-25-17, 06:21 AM
All District

superduper is on a distinguished road
"especially when your tenth game was on Thanksgiving Day" - I remember going to those games vs. West High at Riverfront Stadium.....ahh, the good old days!
Old 08-25-17, 06:38 AM
All Yappi

Don Flamenco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair&Balanced View Post
You are right in both statements. The '77 team also had Moeschl who was a DI QB (Wisconsin) and RB Paul Drennan who played DI at Miami University. "The philosopher" probably wasn't born yet to know about that team. That line was as big or bigger than any other o-line Elder had considering the time period.

Moe beat Elder on a fake field goal...Elder also fumbled at the goal line. .Otherwise, Elder could have been state champs and national champs which Moeller was. It was very difficult to make the playoffs back then, especially when your tenth game was on Thanksgiving Day. That Moeller team was also loaded.
I remember a quote from Jerry Faust a few years back where he said the best high school football team he ever saw was the '77 Moeller team and the second best was the Elder '77 team.
Old 08-25-17, 08:07 AM
All Ohio

CincyHSfootball is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by superduper View Post
"especially when your tenth game was on Thanksgiving Day" - I remember going to those games vs. West High at Riverfront Stadium.....ahh, the good old days!
I remember attendance was always over 20,000 fans for those games. And that was against West Hi.
Old 08-25-17, 09:51 AM
All American

SMARTY22 is on a distinguished road
And for the record, Brandon sowers stud?? Adam Ryan, Pat Egan, Marty Priore and Jason Ott made that team go. Brandon Sowers was a solid rb and receiver out of backfield. Stud definitely not!
Old 08-25-17, 09:55 AM
All Yappi

MickeyMantle is on a distinguished road
On topic, that '88 team was fun to read about. There must have been one hell of a post-game celebration.
Old 08-25-17, 09:59 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMantle View Post
On topic, that '88 team was fun to read about. There must have been one hell of a post-game celebration.
My uncle saved and laminated the Enquirer and Post articles about the game. I scanned them a few years ago.

Enquirer:
http://images.elderphotos.com.s3.ama...rerArticle.pdf

http://images.elderphotos.com.s3.ama...ostArticle.pdf
Old 08-25-17, 10:17 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMARTY22 View Post
And for the record, Brandon sowers stud?? Adam Ryan, Pat Egan, Marty Priore and Jason Ott made that team go. Brandon Sowers was a solid rb and receiver out of backfield. Stud definitely not!
There were plenty of kids who stopped playing football for many reasons. Injuries, transfers, academics, some kids just couldn't handle Elder. That team lost numerous kids from the time the were freshmen to the time they were seniors. As freshmen, arguably the most talented class ever to walk the halls of Elder. IMHO.
Old 08-25-17, 10:21 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
There were plenty of kids who stopped playing football for many reasons. Injuries, transfers, academics, some kids just couldn't handle Elder. That team lost numerous kids from the time the were freshmen to the time they were seniors. As freshmen, arguably the most talented class ever to walk the halls of Elder. IMHO.
That's what I've heard. A lot of parallels b/w them and the class of '09
Old 08-25-17, 11:11 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Didn't hurt them too much. They went undefeated as frosh and sophomores lost to Moeller (and Colerain) as juniors and lost to Toledo St. John's and Lima Senior as seniors.
Old 08-25-17, 11:55 AM
All Yappi

Don Flamenco
Quote:
It was the most talented freshman class I remember at Elder. They lost a ton of good to great players from freshman to senior year and to think they still made the state semi's as seniors. That is how loaded that group was. They lost several good offensive lineman and there was one defensive player who was unbelievable who I think only played at Elder one year. Him and Ott together would have been dominate. The only class that comes close to that one was the 2005 freshman class, who also lost a lot of good players.
Old 08-25-17, 12:03 PM
All Yappi

Don Flamenco
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMARTY22 View Post
Nicastro was a monster on that team as well. Nobody could block him rushing off the edge.
Old 08-25-17, 12:11 PM
All Yappi

Nicastro was one of two Panthers who recovered the fumble that saved the R4 championship game against Moeller.

Watching that highlight again, it's amazing the ball didn't go out of bounds.
Old 08-25-17, 12:27 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHS 2001 View Post
Didn't hurt them too much. They went undefeated as frosh and sophomores lost to Moeller (and Colerain) as juniors and lost to Toledo St. John's and Lima Senior as seniors.
What are you talking about? They probably win state if some of those guys stick.
Old 08-25-17, 02:54 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Nicastro was one of two Panthers who recovered the fumble that saved the R4 championship game against Moeller.

Watching that highlight again, it's amazing the ball didn't go out of bounds.
Loved the power I set with Ott in the backfield. Pretty much unstoppable in short yardage situations.
Old 08-25-17, 03:00 PM
Junior Varsity

Westsidepublic is on a distinguished road
Good to see you guys see Ott as one of Elder's greats, from talking to my Visi friends one of the best Visi 8th graders that will probably go to X is his nephew. I know it doesn't mean much, but good to know that gene is there
Old 08-25-17, 03:02 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Flamenco View Post
It was the most talented freshman class I remember at Elder. They lost a ton of good to great players from freshman to senior year and to think they still made the state semi's as seniors. That is how loaded that group was. They lost several good offensive lineman and there was one defensive player who was unbelievable who I think only played at Elder one year. Him and Ott together would have been dominate. The only class that comes close to that one was the 2005 freshman class, who also lost a lot of good players.
Some may call me biased because i had a relative in that class (started on oline freshman year, suffered shoulder injury against LaSalle, never played again) but that was a time when i paid a bunch of attention to grade school ball and i knew that class would be special. Off the top of my head, guys like my nephew, a kid named Lang who started at center and Sean Murphy all quit football or left Elder. Those 3 along with Catanzaro and Priorie were the starting oline, and they were dominant. Some played quite a bit on the defensive side of the ball as well. There were others too. Still a very good class that outside of a championship, they were as successful as any other.

I think i know the defensive player you speak of but dont recall the name. There was a defensive lineman that transferred after his freshman year. Could be who you are thinking of.
Old 08-25-17, 03:04 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Like DF said, testament to just how stong that class was.
Old 08-25-17, 03:43 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidepublic View Post
Good to see you guys see Ott as one of Elder's greats, from talking to my Visi friends one of the best Visi 8th graders that will probably go to X is his nephew. I know it doesn't mean much, but good to know that gene is there
Kiss my azz, nobody on this forum cares about X.

Last edited by Descartes; 08-25-17 at 04:04 PM.