Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > Elder Panthers

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-22-17, 10:36 AM
All Yappi

MickeyMantle is on a distinguished road
Oct. 14, 1988

I thought this might interest a few of you:

Everything changed in 1988 when Elder ended Moeller's 71-game GCL winning streak
Old 08-22-17, 11:26 AM
All Yappi

Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Grippa gets a lot of flack, but he put Elder back on the map. Also, Keller was a total stud. Like Mark Miller, if he was just a bit bigger, he'd had played major D1 football.
Old 08-22-17, 12:08 PM
All District

superduper is on a distinguished road
Keller was awesome.....and thanks to Scott Dattilo breaking his collar bone in 1987 in the first quarter of the first game, he got to play the entire rest of the season his junior year.....that helped him immensely.....
Old 08-22-17, 01:03 PM
All Yappi

Don Flamenco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
Grippa gets a lot of flack, but he put Elder back on the map. Also, Keller was a total stud. Like Mark Miller, if he was just a bit bigger, he'd had played major D1 football.
Grippa did a great job at Elder. People act like he underachieved, but I don't really buy into that. He won the GCL a bunch and had great records against Moeller and St X. He had 3 state title caliber teams in my opinion. 91, 95 and 96. The 91 team was just decimated by injuries by the time the playoffs rolled around. They were missing like half their starters on defense. The 95 team lost a hard fought 14-7 game to Colerain. They had the best passing game in the city, unfortunately they just happened to play that game in some of the worst weather conditions possible. It was bitter cold and the wind was insane that day. I guess you could argue the 96 team underachieved, but they still won the GCL and made it to the state-semis. I have no doubt he would have won several state titles had he stuck around.
Old 08-22-17, 01:07 PM
All Yappi

Don Flamenco
Quote:
Originally Posted by superduper View Post
Keller was awesome.....and thanks to Scott Dattilo breaking his collar bone in 1987 in the first quarter of the first game, he got to play the entire rest of the season his junior year.....that helped him immensely.....
The 88 season was the first one I remember as a kid and still three of the best games I've ever seen. Princeton at the Pit, Moeller at Galbreath and then again at Welcome Stadium. That was a special team. They were so close against Princeton both times, even in the playoff game.
Old 08-22-17, 01:41 PM
All Yappi

PURPLE REIGN is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure what issues people could have with Grippa the coach (other than leaving Elder b/c he thought he'd be even better with more athletes).

Grippa resurrected the program and turned it into one of the best in the city every year. Grippa was an offensive genius and ahead of his time. Elder regularly had its QB lead the city in passing. In addition, he significantly improved the weight room and got his players physically stronger.

Elder's record before he arrived vs when he coached speaks for itself.
Old 08-22-17, 02:19 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PURPLE REIGN View Post
I'm not sure what issues people could have with Grippa the coach (other than leaving Elder b/c he thought he'd be even better with more athletes).

Grippa resurrected the program and turned it into one of the best in the city every year. Grippa was an offensive genius and ahead of his time. Elder regularly had its QB lead the city in passing. In addition, he significantly improved the weight room and got his players physically stronger.

Elder's record before he arrived vs when he coached speaks for itself.
I think the critique comes from his lack of success after leaving Elder. He had some the loaded LS teams that massively underachieved.
Old 08-22-17, 02:25 PM
All World

Jteegardner
or his comments after leaving Elder. Rumor has it he stated he always wanted a speedy black back and then along comes Glathaar.
Old 08-22-17, 02:28 PM
All Yappi

EHS 2001 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I think the critique comes from his lack of success after leaving Elder. He had some the loaded LS teams that massively underachieved.
With all due respect to Lancer teams of the past, that doesn't make him unique at LaSalle. Even Nate Moore had a pretty inauspicious first season.
Old 08-22-17, 02:30 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHS 2001 View Post
With all due respect to Lancer teams of the past, that doesn't make him unique at LaSalle. Even Nate Moore had a pretty inauspicious first season.
I'm talking about the '06 and '07 teams, which were 4 and 5 yrs into his tenure.
Old 08-22-17, 02:31 PM
All American

trey2k is an unknown quantity at this point
Grippa was great for Elder.
Old 08-22-17, 02:38 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I'm talking about the '06 and '07 teams, which were 4 and 5 yrs into his tenure.
I wasn't saying Grippa didn't have teams at LaSalle that didn't underachieve. I was just saying that his immediate predecessor and immediate successor did too.
Old 08-22-17, 06:03 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduper View Post
21/32, 350 yards and 4 TDs... That's a pretty good game.
Old 08-22-17, 08:38 PM
All Region

voiceoreaso is on a distinguished road
That 88 team was great. Some of the best senior leaders you will have in Keller and Hilvert. The Princeton game at Elder was maybe the best high school game I have seen as a spectator.
Old 08-23-17, 01:43 PM
All Yappi

Spille is on a distinguished road
Wasn't that the game that was halted due to weather at one point and finished on Saturday?
Old 08-23-17, 01:51 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spille View Post
Wasn't that the game that was halted due to weather at one point and finished on Saturday?
I think you're referring to the 1996 Elder-Moeller game at Galbreath Field. The game was interrupted by a torrential downpour on Friday night and concluded on Saturday night.

http://media.elderhs.net/EHSportsArc...istory1996.htm
Quote:
Game 5 against Moeller (4-0) at Galbreath Field began in a torrential downpour. Following two TDs by both teams, the game was halted when lightning was seen with under 5 minutes left in the first half. Elder's scores came on a 1-yard Ryan run and a 10-yard Ryan-to-Eagan pass, followed by a PAT by the returning Dan DeFranco. Brandon Sowers also returned from his earlier injury to lead the ground attack. The game was eventually postponed and resumed the following evening. Shortly after resuming the game, Moeller took a 16-13 half-time lead on a 34-yard field goal. Following the intermission, the Panthers surged back in front, 19-16, on a 30-yard TD pass to Dan Stricker. Moeller then retook the lead, 23-19, on a 69-yard TD run and a successful PAT. Elder then scored twice more before the end of the third quarter, on a 13-yard pass to Stricker, followed by a DeFranco PAT, and a 1-yard run by Sowers, to lead 32-23. With under two minutes left, Moeller responded with another touchdown and PAT to close the gap to 32-30. The Crusaders successfully recovered the onside kick and began a drive to take the lead, but a Jason Ott interception ended the drive, and the Panthers sealed the victory. Leading ground gainer in the marathon was Brandon Sowers, with 32 carries for 165 yards; leading receiver was Dan Stricker, with 8 catches for 147 yards.
Old 08-23-17, 02:32 PM
All World

Peterson is on a distinguished road
Is Grippa in the Elder athletic hall of fame?
Old 08-23-17, 02:45 PM
All Region

typeman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterson View Post
Is Grippa in the Elder athletic hall of fame?
Elder does not have an athletic HOF.
Old 08-23-17, 08:52 PM
All World

Peterson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by typeman View Post
Elder does not have an athletic HOF.
Wow. I am truly surprised by that. Why?
Old 08-23-17, 09:31 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I think you're referring to the 1996 Elder-Moeller game at Galbreath Field. The game was interrupted by a torrential downpour on Friday night and concluded on Saturday night.

My first memories are of those mid 90s teams, Sowers was a stud. Not only a great RB, but a very good Receiver out of the backfield.
Old 08-23-17, 10:08 PM
All Yappi

PURPLE REIGN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterson View Post
Wow. I am truly surprised by that. Why?
Administration likely find it unnecessary.

Elder High School is the tie that binds us all together and no reason to pick among hundreds of worthy candidates. I like the fact jerseys do not get retired and no hall of fame exists.
Old 08-24-17, 08:08 AM
All World

Ehs 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by PURPLE REIGN View Post
Administration likely find it unnecessary.

Elder High School is the tie that binds us all together and no reason to pick among hundreds of worthy candidates. I like the fact jerseys do not get retired and no hall of fame exists.
Elder doesn't have a Hall of Fame per say. But the Alumni Association does have this: http://www.elderhs.org/Alumni/Alumni-Association/Awards In that group there is an Athletic Excellence award.
Old 08-24-17, 09:41 AM
Junior Varsity

Westsidepublic is on a distinguished road
Always good to think about beating "Big Moe", I think it's funny, most people seem to think that Elder's biggest issue is getting some athletes or Studs to play on the defensive side of the ball, but when they talk about the stars from the past I only see offensive players. From what I remember there were some pretty good player on the defensive side of the ball back in those games.
Old 08-24-17, 10:15 AM
All Yappi

Don Flamenco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidepublic View Post
Always good to think about beating "Big Moe", I think it's funny, most people seem to think that Elder's biggest issue is getting some athletes or Studs to play on the defensive side of the ball, but when they talk about the stars from the past I only see offensive players. From what I remember there were some pretty good player on the defensive side of the ball back in those games.
Hilvert was mentioned. He might have been the best player on that team. Austing was really good on that team as well from what I remember. And I'll never forget that pick 6 against Moe in the playoffs. I don't remember who it was but that is one of the plays that will always stick with me.
Old 08-24-17, 10:16 AM
All Region

voiceoreaso is on a distinguished road
That defense was stacked. Hilvert was a hitting machine. Austing and Harmeyer at LB. Weber at FS. I believe Jostworth and Junker? at ends. They were very good.
Old 08-24-17, 10:29 AM
All Yappi

Spille is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Hmmm, I could have sworn it was the 88 game. I would have been a sophomore and seem to remember it so well.

Anyway, great highlights. For my money, Adam Ryan was the best QB in Elder history.
Old 08-24-17, 10:32 AM
All Region

purpleandwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoreaso View Post
That defense was stacked. Hilvert was a hitting machine. Austing and Harmeyer at LB. Weber at FS. I believe Jostworth and Junker? at ends. They were very good.
The DLine had Bonhaus who ended up at Ohio State.
Old 08-24-17, 10:55 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
For my money, Adam Ryan was the best QB in Elder history.
It depends on how you define best. Are we talking record, stats, or ability? Going off on the field production mixed with talent:

1. Keller
2. Miller
3. Ramsey

I'd have Bolger and Ryan as honorable mentions.

Florian was a great leader, but his stats are dwarfed by those 3 and he had the benefit of playing with the best RB and OL on school history.
Old 08-24-17, 12:05 PM
Varsity

?????? is on a distinguished road
What a great team full of talented, smart, athletic guys who who played with a ton of emotion. I remember the grade school championship St A's against St Dominic when they were 8th graders. Everyone was saying these are the kids that are gonna beat Moe. I was thinking "yeah right", turns out, they were right. Hard to believe it's been going on 30 yrs.
Old 08-24-17, 01:04 PM
All Yappi

Don Flamenco
Quote:
Hmmm, I could have sworn it was the 88 game. I would have been a sophomore and seem to remember it so well.

Anyway, great highlights. For my money, Adam Ryan was the best QB in Elder history.
The 96 game was the one that was suspended and played the following night.

And I agree with you on Adam Ryan. It's so hard to pick just one. Elder's had a ton of great QB's throughout the years.