Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > Elder Panthers

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-22-17, 10:36 AM
MickeyMantle MickeyMantle is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-13-09
Location: Cushy state job
Posts: 16,067
MickeyMantle is on a distinguished road
Oct. 14, 1988

I thought this might interest a few of you:

Everything changed in 1988 when Elder ended Moeller's 71-game GCL winning streak
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-22-17, 11:26 AM
Descartes Descartes is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-06-16
Location: Trey=YRoevWadeisgood
Posts: 5,074
Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Grippa gets a lot of flack, but he put Elder back on the map. Also, Keller was a total stud. Like Mark Miller, if he was just a bit bigger, he'd had played major D1 football.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-22-17, 12:08 PM
superduper superduper is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 08-15-17
Location: your mom's basement
Posts: 158
superduper is on a distinguished road
Keller was awesome.....and thanks to Scott Dattilo breaking his collar bone in 1987 in the first quarter of the first game, he got to play the entire rest of the season his junior year.....that helped him immensely.....
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-22-17, 01:03 PM
Don Flamenco Don Flamenco is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-25-01
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 18,567
Don Flamenco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
Grippa gets a lot of flack, but he put Elder back on the map. Also, Keller was a total stud. Like Mark Miller, if he was just a bit bigger, he'd had played major D1 football.
Grippa did a great job at Elder. People act like he underachieved, but I don't really buy into that. He won the GCL a bunch and had great records against Moeller and St X. He had 3 state title caliber teams in my opinion. 91, 95 and 96. The 91 team was just decimated by injuries by the time the playoffs rolled around. They were missing like half their starters on defense. The 95 team lost a hard fought 14-7 game to Colerain. They had the best passing game in the city, unfortunately they just happened to play that game in some of the worst weather conditions possible. It was bitter cold and the wind was insane that day. I guess you could argue the 96 team underachieved, but they still won the GCL and made it to the state-semis. I have no doubt he would have won several state titles had he stuck around.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-22-17, 01:07 PM
Don Flamenco Don Flamenco is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-25-01
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 18,567
Don Flamenco
Quote:
Originally Posted by superduper View Post
Keller was awesome.....and thanks to Scott Dattilo breaking his collar bone in 1987 in the first quarter of the first game, he got to play the entire rest of the season his junior year.....that helped him immensely.....
The 88 season was the first one I remember as a kid and still three of the best games I've ever seen. Princeton at the Pit, Moeller at Galbreath and then again at Welcome Stadium. That was a special team. They were so close against Princeton both times, even in the playoff game.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-22-17, 01:41 PM
PURPLE REIGN PURPLE REIGN is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-17-01
Posts: 5,364
PURPLE REIGN is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure what issues people could have with Grippa the coach (other than leaving Elder b/c he thought he'd be even better with more athletes).

Grippa resurrected the program and turned it into one of the best in the city every year. Grippa was an offensive genius and ahead of his time. Elder regularly had its QB lead the city in passing. In addition, he significantly improved the weight room and got his players physically stronger.

Elder's record before he arrived vs when he coached speaks for itself.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-22-17, 02:19 PM
Descartes Descartes is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-06-16
Location: Trey=YRoevWadeisgood
Posts: 5,074
Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by PURPLE REIGN View Post
I'm not sure what issues people could have with Grippa the coach (other than leaving Elder b/c he thought he'd be even better with more athletes).

Grippa resurrected the program and turned it into one of the best in the city every year. Grippa was an offensive genius and ahead of his time. Elder regularly had its QB lead the city in passing. In addition, he significantly improved the weight room and got his players physically stronger.

Elder's record before he arrived vs when he coached speaks for itself.
I think the critique comes from his lack of success after leaving Elder. He had some the loaded LS teams that massively underachieved.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-22-17, 02:25 PM
Jteegardner Jteegardner is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 04-06-02
Location: West Side Forever
Posts: 2,796
Jteegardner
or his comments after leaving Elder. Rumor has it he stated he always wanted a speedy black back and then along comes Glathaar.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-22-17, 02:28 PM
EHS 2001 EHS 2001 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-05-02
Location: The Pit Elder High School
Posts: 9,349
EHS 2001 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
I think the critique comes from his lack of success after leaving Elder. He had some the loaded LS teams that massively underachieved.
With all due respect to Lancer teams of the past, that doesn't make him unique at LaSalle. Even Nate Moore had a pretty inauspicious first season.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-22-17, 02:30 PM
Descartes Descartes is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-06-16
Location: Trey=YRoevWadeisgood
Posts: 5,074
Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by EHS 2001 View Post
With all due respect to Lancer teams of the past, that doesn't make him unique at LaSalle. Even Nate Moore had a pretty inauspicious first season.
I'm talking about the '06 and '07 teams, which were 4 and 5 yrs into his tenure.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-22-17, 02:31 PM
trey2k trey2k is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 12-21-15
Posts: 1,398
trey2k is an unknown quantity at this point
Grippa was great for Elder.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-22-17, 02:38 PM
EHS 2001 EHS 2001 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-05-02
Location: The Pit Elder High School
Posts: 9,349
EHS 2001 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
I'm talking about the '06 and '07 teams, which were 4 and 5 yrs into his tenure.
I wasn't saying Grippa didn't have teams at LaSalle that didn't underachieve. I was just saying that his immediate predecessor and immediate successor did too.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-22-17, 06:03 PM
Descartes Descartes is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-06-16
Location: Trey=YRoevWadeisgood
Posts: 5,074
Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by superduper View Post
Keller was awesome.....and thanks to Scott Dattilo breaking his collar bone in 1987 in the first quarter of the first game, he got to play the entire rest of the season his junior year.....that helped him immensely.....
21/32, 350 yards and 4 TDs... That's a pretty good game.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-22-17, 08:38 PM
voiceoreaso voiceoreaso is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 06-13-07
Posts: 301
voiceoreaso is on a distinguished road
That 88 team was great. Some of the best senior leaders you will have in Keller and Hilvert. The Princeton game at Elder was maybe the best high school game I have seen as a spectator.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-23-17, 01:43 PM
Spille Spille is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 02-06-03
Posts: 5,075
Spille is on a distinguished road
Wasn't that the game that was halted due to weather at one point and finished on Saturday?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-23-17, 01:51 PM
EHS 2001 EHS 2001 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-05-02
Location: The Pit Elder High School
Posts: 9,349
EHS 2001 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spille View Post
Wasn't that the game that was halted due to weather at one point and finished on Saturday?
I think you're referring to the 1996 Elder-Moeller game at Galbreath Field. The game was interrupted by a torrential downpour on Friday night and concluded on Saturday night.

http://media.elderhs.net/EHSportsArc...istory1996.htm
Quote:
Game 5 against Moeller (4-0) at Galbreath Field began in a torrential downpour. Following two TDs by both teams, the game was halted when lightning was seen with under 5 minutes left in the first half. Elder's scores came on a 1-yard Ryan run and a 10-yard Ryan-to-Eagan pass, followed by a PAT by the returning Dan DeFranco. Brandon Sowers also returned from his earlier injury to lead the ground attack. The game was eventually postponed and resumed the following evening. Shortly after resuming the game, Moeller took a 16-13 half-time lead on a 34-yard field goal. Following the intermission, the Panthers surged back in front, 19-16, on a 30-yard TD pass to Dan Stricker. Moeller then retook the lead, 23-19, on a 69-yard TD run and a successful PAT. Elder then scored twice more before the end of the third quarter, on a 13-yard pass to Stricker, followed by a DeFranco PAT, and a 1-yard run by Sowers, to lead 32-23. With under two minutes left, Moeller responded with another touchdown and PAT to close the gap to 32-30. The Crusaders successfully recovered the onside kick and began a drive to take the lead, but a Jason Ott interception ended the drive, and the Panthers sealed the victory. Leading ground gainer in the marathon was Brandon Sowers, with 32 carries for 165 yards; leading receiver was Dan Stricker, with 8 catches for 147 yards.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-23-17, 02:32 PM
Peterson Peterson is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 04-07-08
Posts: 2,762
Peterson is on a distinguished road
Is Grippa in the Elder athletic hall of fame?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-23-17, 02:45 PM
typeman typeman is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 12-13-02
Location: Beautiful south fairmont
Posts: 364
typeman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterson View Post
Is Grippa in the Elder athletic hall of fame?
Elder does not have an athletic HOF.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-23-17, 08:52 PM
Peterson Peterson is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 04-07-08
Posts: 2,762
Peterson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by typeman View Post
Elder does not have an athletic HOF.
Wow. I am truly surprised by that. Why?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-23-17, 09:31 PM
Descartes Descartes is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-06-16
Location: Trey=YRoevWadeisgood
Posts: 5,074
Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by EHS 2001 View Post
I think you're referring to the 1996 Elder-Moeller game at Galbreath Field. The game was interrupted by a torrential downpour on Friday night and concluded on Saturday night.

http://media.elderhs.net/EHSportsArc...istory1996.htm


My first memories are of those mid 90s teams, Sowers was a stud. Not only a great RB, but a very good Receiver out of the backfield.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 08-23-17, 10:08 PM
PURPLE REIGN PURPLE REIGN is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-17-01
Posts: 5,364
PURPLE REIGN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterson View Post
Wow. I am truly surprised by that. Why?
Administration likely find it unnecessary.

Elder High School is the tie that binds us all together and no reason to pick among hundreds of worthy candidates. I like the fact jerseys do not get retired and no hall of fame exists.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-24-17, 08:08 AM
Ehs 2005 Ehs 2005 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 11-12-01
Location: Who knows.
Posts: 2,558
Ehs 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by PURPLE REIGN View Post
Administration likely find it unnecessary.

Elder High School is the tie that binds us all together and no reason to pick among hundreds of worthy candidates. I like the fact jerseys do not get retired and no hall of fame exists.
Elder doesn't have a Hall of Fame per say. But the Alumni Association does have this: http://www.elderhs.org/Alumni/Alumni-Association/Awards In that group there is an Athletic Excellence award.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-24-17, 09:41 AM
Westsidepublic Westsidepublic is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 08-07-17
Posts: 27
Westsidepublic is on a distinguished road
Always good to think about beating "Big Moe", I think it's funny, most people seem to think that Elder's biggest issue is getting some athletes or Studs to play on the defensive side of the ball, but when they talk about the stars from the past I only see offensive players. From what I remember there were some pretty good player on the defensive side of the ball back in those games.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-24-17, 10:15 AM
Don Flamenco Don Flamenco is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-25-01
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 18,567
Don Flamenco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidepublic View Post
Always good to think about beating "Big Moe", I think it's funny, most people seem to think that Elder's biggest issue is getting some athletes or Studs to play on the defensive side of the ball, but when they talk about the stars from the past I only see offensive players. From what I remember there were some pretty good player on the defensive side of the ball back in those games.
Hilvert was mentioned. He might have been the best player on that team. Austing was really good on that team as well from what I remember. And I'll never forget that pick 6 against Moe in the playoffs. I don't remember who it was but that is one of the plays that will always stick with me.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-24-17, 10:16 AM
voiceoreaso voiceoreaso is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 06-13-07
Posts: 301
voiceoreaso is on a distinguished road
That defense was stacked. Hilvert was a hitting machine. Austing and Harmeyer at LB. Weber at FS. I believe Jostworth and Junker? at ends. They were very good.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-24-17, 10:29 AM
Spille Spille is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 02-06-03
Posts: 5,075
Spille is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EHS 2001 View Post
I think you're referring to the 1996 Elder-Moeller game at Galbreath Field. The game was interrupted by a torrential downpour on Friday night and concluded on Saturday night.

http://media.elderhs.net/EHSportsArc...istory1996.htm


Hmmm, I could have sworn it was the 88 game. I would have been a sophomore and seem to remember it so well.

Anyway, great highlights. For my money, Adam Ryan was the best QB in Elder history.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-24-17, 10:32 AM
purpleandwhite purpleandwhite is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 11-11-03
Location: Price Hill, OH
Posts: 364
purpleandwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoreaso View Post
That defense was stacked. Hilvert was a hitting machine. Austing and Harmeyer at LB. Weber at FS. I believe Jostworth and Junker? at ends. They were very good.
The DLine had Bonhaus who ended up at Ohio State.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-24-17, 10:55 AM
Descartes Descartes is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-06-16
Location: Trey=YRoevWadeisgood
Posts: 5,074
Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spille View Post
For my money, Adam Ryan was the best QB in Elder history.
It depends on how you define best. Are we talking record, stats, or ability? Going off on the field production mixed with talent:

1. Keller
2. Miller
3. Ramsey

I'd have Bolger and Ryan as honorable mentions.

Florian was a great leader, but his stats are dwarfed by those 3 and he had the benefit of playing with the best RB and OL on school history.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-24-17, 12:05 PM
?????? ?????? is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 04-27-17
Posts: 69
?????? is on a distinguished road
What a great team full of talented, smart, athletic guys who who played with a ton of emotion. I remember the grade school championship St A's against St Dominic when they were 8th graders. Everyone was saying these are the kids that are gonna beat Moe. I was thinking "yeah right", turns out, they were right. Hard to believe it's been going on 30 yrs.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-24-17, 01:04 PM
Don Flamenco Don Flamenco is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-25-01
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 18,567
Don Flamenco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spille View Post
Hmmm, I could have sworn it was the 88 game. I would have been a sophomore and seem to remember it so well.

Anyway, great highlights. For my money, Adam Ryan was the best QB in Elder history.
The 96 game was the one that was suspended and played the following night.

And I agree with you on Adam Ryan. It's so hard to pick just one. Elder's had a ton of great QB's throughout the years.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Become an OHSAA wrestling official at our weekend course. Oct 21-22, 2017 OhioWoodpecker Wrestling 7 10-13-17 09:24 PM
Mega Team Duals Sun Oct 8th -Great Super 32 warm up in Western Pa marksteen Wrestling 2 08-27-17 08:34 AM
Dayton area - High school football games on radio, TV, internet Bull_Elk Football 2 08-18-17 11:27 PM
Spectrum Sports 2017 HS Football Broadcast Schedule Yappi Football 2 08-17-17 10:25 PM
Looking for 160 and 182 for PA Columbus Day Duals in Oct. Coach McCormick Wrestling 1 08-17-17 03:07 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz