Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > Elder Panthers

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-14-16, 09:00 AM
All American

Jerry Maguire is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
Martin actually has a few offers, just picked up one from Ohio Dominican (Mark Miller's school). It's imperative the staff either incorporate him more in the passing game or move him to OLB/DE.
Yeah personally I'd have him drop about 15 lbs and switch him to LB, but who am I?
Old 12-14-16, 09:14 AM
Freshman

Elder65 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'm not sold on Nieman's arm strength to hit those deep fades. I remember him making the throw on the Comeback route to Falliace v X and Falliace had to make an adjustment to make the catch bc the ball was a little under thrown.
Another example of Pboy being a dbag and ignorant. He obviously hasn't seen an Elder baseball game if he's talking about the QB's arm strength. So Elder has 3 receivers, all about 5'10, 160, win all league honors, including the GCL receiver of the year, honorable mention all state, and he's questioning the QB? Who was throwing those passes, Coleco's Mr. Quarterback?
Old 12-14-16, 09:43 AM
All Ohio

polar panther is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elder65 View Post
Another example of Pboy being a dbag and ignorant. He obviously hasn't seen an Elder baseball game if he's talking about the QB's arm strength. So Elder has 3 receivers, all about 5'10, 160, win all league honors, including the GCL receiver of the year, honorable mention all state, and he's questioning the QB? Who was throwing those passes, Coleco's Mr. Quarterback?
Questioning kid's arm strength based on one throw is not a real test.
Old 12-14-16, 04:17 PM
All Region

sideline89 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by polar panther View Post
Questioning kid's arm strength based on one throw is not a real test.
It seemed like he was trying to be too perfect on some of his throws. Instead of really gunning it in there. There were times he would throw it softer than it needed it to be. I think if he can improve his pocket presence, next year will be very good. As much as the o-line got blamed, there were times that sacks could have been avoided by stepping up into lanes and finding a receiver, or at least getting rid of the ball. There is a learning curve for both QB's. I think he improved on his throws during the year, but the pocket presence isn't always easy to improve. The subtle footwork is very important.
Old 12-14-16, 04:21 PM
All Yappi

Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideline89 View Post
It seemed like he was trying to be too perfect on some of his throws. Instead of really gunning it in there. There were times he would throw it softer than it needed it to be. I think if he can improve his pocket presence, next year will be very good. As much as the o-line got blamed, there were times that sacks could have been avoided by stepping up into lanes and finding a receiver, or at least getting rid of the ball. There is a learning curve for both QB's. I think he improved on his throws during the year, but the pocket presence isn't always easy to improve. The subtle footwork is very important.
Those "times" we're few and far between. The OL deserves blame on about 90% of those sacks. Look at the last play v Mason, Nieman got hit practically as he got the snap.
Old 12-14-16, 04:28 PM
All Region

Quote:
Those "times" we're few and far between. The OL deserves blame on about 90% of those sacks. Look at the last play v Mason, Nieman got hit practically as he got the snap.
I will give you 75% the other 25% may have been avoided with more experience, or were coverage sacks. Watched every game film this year. Pocket presence is a tough thing to pick up. NFL Qb's don't always have it.
Old 12-14-16, 04:30 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I will give you 75% the other 25% may have been avoided with more experience, or were coverage sacks. Watched every game film this year. Pocket presence is a tough thing to pick up. NFL Qb's don't always have it.
I agree. I just don't want to pretend Nieman hanging onto the ball too long was the main issue.
Old 12-14-16, 04:51 PM
All Region

Quote:
I agree. I just don't want to pretend Nieman hanging onto the ball too long was the main issue.
No, never said it was, but if those plays are switched to positive plays or even balls thrown away, then that will be a big plus for the offense next year. An even bigger plus, would be the Line maintaining contact with the dline better, which even if you get beat you can still push the d-lineman past the qb. The problem seemed to be there was too much reaching to block, instead of moving their feet. Also picking up stunts. With their style of play, it may be better to have smaller guys with good feet than bigger guys without.
Old 12-14-16, 06:10 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
No, never said it was, but if those plays are switched to positive plays or even balls thrown away, then that will be a big plus for the offense next year. An even bigger plus, would be the Line maintaining contact with the dline better, which even if you get beat you can still push the d-lineman past the qb. The problem seemed to be there was too much reaching to block, instead of moving their feet. Also picking up stunts. With their style of play, it may be better to have smaller guys with good feet than bigger guys without.
There were a lot of mental mistakes too, more missed blocks than I've ever seen from an Elder team. There's really no way to judge Nieman's performance last year bc he spent the whole season on his back.
Old 12-28-16, 11:09 AM
Retired

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Schedule updates?

8/25/2017 N Unknown Opponent (Skyline Crosstown?)
9/1/2017 H Cincinnati Oak Hills
9/8/2017 N Unknown Opponent
9/15/2017 A Lakewood St. Edward
9/22/2017 N Unknown Opponent
9/29/2017 A Cincinnati St. Xavier
10/6/2017 H Cincinnati Archbishop Moeller
10/13/2017 A Cincinnati Winton Woods
10/20/2017 N Unknown Opponent
10/27/2017 A Cincinnati La Salle
Old 12-29-16, 01:25 PM
All American

No updates that I've heard. We will likely see out of state teams for all those open weeks considering the OH options are quickly thinning...pretty frustrating for Dabbelt/Espelage I would assume. Still wish they could get a deal done with Clinton Massie, but it's probably too much of a gamble for them being in D4.

Just checked OHSAA site and saw a new one. Gahanna Lincoln is seeking a week 3 home game for 2017 only. That would be a no-brainer to inquire about that. Glen Oak is also available for 2017 and 2018.
Old 12-30-16, 08:46 PM
All Yappi

Does anyone know which Sophs could play up? As I mentioned, at least one of the OTs, possibly Kandra, should get a chance to start. Outside of him, I'm not so sure any will get PT, mostly bc there's so much depth in the rising Jr class.
Old 12-30-16, 08:52 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elder65 View Post
I'm a huge believer in measurables (height, weight, speed), but Falliace and Trischler are great HS football players. They made some unbelievable catches despite some less than perfect passes. The Scott County game is a perfect example of how those guys are playmakers.
Old 12-30-16, 08:52 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Maguire 910 View Post
Yeah personally I'd have him drop about 15 lbs and switch him to LB, but who am I?
Someone with a brain.
Old 12-30-16, 09:33 PM
Varsity

scotty99 is on a distinguished road
The 3 lineman (James, Kandra, and Tolbert) are the only sophs I could imagine starting on next years team.
Old 12-30-16, 09:36 PM
Varsity

All 3 played for the titans I believe and have the size to play varsity.
Old 12-30-16, 09:40 PM
All Yappi

Is Tolbert on the OL or DL? Playing on either side of the line is a tall task for any Soph. However, I'd rather give Kandra a shot at OT and move Hilvert to DE. There's just no way you can start at kid under 230 at OT in the GCL.
Old 12-30-16, 09:44 PM
Varsity

Tolbert mostly played nose-guard but also played a little on the o-line. He's got to be in the 270-280 pound range.
Old 12-30-16, 09:48 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty99 View Post
Tolbert mostly played nose-guard but also played a little on the o-line. He's got to be in the 270-280 pound range.
Holy Lord! I didn't notice a kid that big when I saw them play Colerain. Frey had an unreal game, but he's not Varsity size.
Old 01-02-17, 04:56 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
No updates that I've heard. We will likely see out of state teams for all those open weeks considering the OH options are quickly thinning...pretty frustrating for Dabbelt/Espelage I would assume. Still wish they could get a deal done with Clinton Massie, but it's probably too much of a gamble for them being in D4.

Just checked OHSAA site and saw a new one. Gahanna Lincoln is seeking a week 3 home game for 2017 only. That would be a no-brainer to inquire about that. Glen Oak is also available for 2017 and 2018.
GO would be a real solid pickup. It'd be even better if they could get the game moved to an equidistant neutral site like Ignatius and Moeller did this year by playing at Otterbein.
Old 01-03-17, 08:57 PM
All American

Vincent and Regina is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I really want to see the Clinton-Massie game.
Old 01-05-17, 10:13 PM
Retired

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Schedule updates?

8/25/2017 N Unknown Opponent (Skyline Crosstown?)
9/1/2017 H Cincinnati Oak Hills
9/8/2017 A Gahanna Lincoln
9/15/2017 A Lakewood St. Edward
9/22/2017 N Unknown Opponent
9/29/2017 A Cincinnati St. Xavier
10/6/2017 H Cincinnati Archbishop Moeller
10/13/2017 A Cincinnati Winton Woods
10/20/2017 N Unknown Opponent
10/27/2017 A Cincinnati La Salle
Old 01-06-17, 08:31 AM
All American

Where'd you hear about Gahanna Lincoln for week 3? Is that confirmed?
Old 01-06-17, 09:10 AM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Maguire View Post
Where'd you hear about Gahanna Lincoln for week 3? Is that confirmed?
Hoping it's true. That's a great pickup even if it's just a 1-year deal. In-state only couple hours away. And GL has won an average of 6 games a year with their lone losing season being a 3-7 year in 2013.
Old 01-06-17, 09:26 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
Hoping it's true. That's a great pickup
Absolutely.
Old 01-06-17, 09:50 AM
All American

A poster other than EagleFan posted on the main football board that Elder @ Gahanna Lincoln has been scheduled. Good on Lincoln.

2 more weeks to fill.
Old 01-06-17, 11:27 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
A poster other than EagleFan posted on the main football board that Elder @ Gahanna Lincoln has been scheduled. Good on Lincoln.

2 more weeks to fill.
That is a great pickup. Can anyone confirm if it's a 1 or 2 yr deal?
Old 01-06-17, 11:38 AM
All American

I'm assuming just a one-year deal for now. The school's post on the OHSAA site said looking for 2017 only.
Old 01-10-17, 11:42 AM
All American

No one will confirm, but if the OHSAA postings stay up to date, then this match up is not official. GL still has their Week 3 posting up.

http://www.ohsaa.org/OpenDates#203351-football
Old 01-10-17, 03:25 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
No one will confirm, but if the OHSAA postings stay up to date, then this match up is not official. GL still has their Week 3 posting up.

http://www.ohsaa.org/OpenDates#203351-football
I believe the schools are responsible for notifying the OHSAA to make the official updates. At this point in time, it wouldn't surprise me if it's only a handshake agreement by both schools.