Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-27-16, 08:07 AM
All American

Bevo is on a distinguished road
Wow- leave it to the Cavs to beat the Warriors and then lose the next night to the Pistons ((key term there being "next night"). We have a great start to our random NBA Early Days' quiz.

Best line in the Cavs' Warriors' game, after one of Richard Jefferson's dunks, "Mr. Jefferson is still movin' on up."

Where's Weezy when you need her?

Another thought, I might just take $20,000 (kidding) and buy as many Indians' tickets as I can. Go Tribe!!) The morning after the acquisition was announced the Indians sold out of their 20 ticket blocks for the upcoming season.
Old 12-27-16, 06:30 PM
All American

Answers have been posted! More later... .
Old 12-28-16, 04:36 PM
All American

(I had about half of what you are reading done and hit a wrong button and lost it all!!)

23. What was Wilt's job in college?WILT WAS A DISC JOCKEY ON CAMPUS; PLAYING MOSTLY JAZZ LP'S.

24. Three of the early Black NBA players were Earl Lloyd, Nate "Sweetwater" Cliffton and Chuck Cooper - who actually played in the first game. EARL LLOYD OF THE WASHIGNTON CAPS PLAYED FIRST.

25. Walter Brown inherited the Celtics from his father, George. George was famous in another way in the city of Boston in another sport - what? GEORGE BROWN BROUGHT OR CREATED THE FIRST BOSTON MARATHON AND WAS THE STARTER OF THE RACE.

26. Bill Russel had an unheard of event take place when trying out for the varsity team as a junior at McClymonds' H.S. - what was it. (Hint, Bill had not made the jv team as a sophomore.) RUSSEL WAS CUT HIS SOPHOMORE YEAR FROM THE JV SQUAD. AS A JUNIOR, HE WAS CUT ONCE AGAIN FROM THE JV TEAM BY THE NEW JV COACH. THE NEW VARSITY COACH - THE JV COACH WHO CUT BILL THE YEAR BEFORE - SUGGESTED THAT BILL TRY OUT FOR THE VARSITY. HE DID AND MADE THE VARSITY, INSTEAD.

27. Figuring his chance of attending college hinged solely on receiving a scholarship because there was no money to do so without it, Bill instead applied for an apprentice position in what area in the San Francisco ship yards? RUSS APPLIED AS A JOURNEY MAN SHEET METAL WORKER.

28. How many scholarship offers did Bill Russel receive? (Wilt 's total was over 200.) BILL RUSSELL RECEIVED ONE SCHOLARSHIP OFFER; THE ONE FROM THE DONS.

29. Who was assigned Bill's room mate at S.F.? K.C. JONES, WHO I BELIEVE HAD JUST LEFT THE MILITARY.

30. What team did S.F. beat for its 48th. win a row that establish a record for consecutive victories? COLLEGE OF THE PACIFIC

31. The NBA and the Globetrotters had an uneasy alliance; i.e., leave the Black basketball players for The Trotters. Who owned the Globetrotters? ABE SAPPERSTEIN

32. The Globies were once called the Savoy Big Five because they played in The Savoy Ballroom in what city? CHICAGO

33. Bill Russel turned down a $50,000 offer from Globetrotter's owner for what reason? SAPERSTEIN TALKED ONLY TO PHIL WOLPERT, BILL'S COACH, EVEN THOUGH BILL WAS STANDING RIGHT THERE.

34. Russel wanted to play in the '56 Olympics. This meant missing about one -fourth of the NBA season. Because of this The Rochester Royals took Sihugo Green from Duquense. At the time of the draft there was a rumor that Walter Brown, who was a part owner of the Ice Capades, had promised Lester Harrison, owner of the Royals, two more weeks of the Ice Capades, if the Royals would pass on Russel. Since denied many times over but back then... . Next was Ben Kerner drafting for the Hawks and Red A. proposed a trade for the rights to Russel. Who did Red trade for Russel? (two players). EASY ED MCCAULEY AND CLIFF HAGEN.

35. The highest paid player in the league was Bob Cousy. Did the Cous make $15,000, $25,000 or $35,000? THE BOSTON MAGICIAN MADE $25,000. GREAT MONEY!

36. Russel's first game was Dec. 22. 1956 against Bob Pettit's Hawks. He played two quarters and scored only 6 points but he did have a lot of rebounds. Within 3, how many rebounds did Russ. garner in the two quarters? Never known as a shooter, in one contest Bill Russel missed 15 straight shots! But, boy could he block and go to the rack!! BILL RUSSELL HAD 16 REBOUNDS IN THOSE TWO QUARTERS

37. In Wilt's first game at Kansas he had 52 points and 31 rebounds. Rock, chalk, Jayhawk won by a score of 87-69 over a Big Ten school. What team? THE WILDCATS OF NORTHWESTERN

There you go with part two! No limits, no time restraints, etc. Answers tomorrow late afternoon or early evening.

Last edited by Bevo; 12-30-16 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12-28-16, 05:28 PM
All Ohio

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
31. Abe Saperstein
Old 12-28-16, 07:16 PM
All American

Monclova gets us going on part two with a correct answer of Abe Saperstein.

I know these are practically unknowable; I have to go back and re -look at things and then I still reread parts! Just a fun attempt to look at the incongruities and changes over the last 65 years in the game. I think of what Lebron (and many others) have and where the league was at long, long ago.
Old 12-29-16, 01:35 PM
Varsity

rdlwolverine is on a distinguished road
29 KC Jones
32 Chicago
34 Ed McAuley and Cliff Ramsey

Re the Globetrotters, in 1940 the Globetrotters won the World Professional Basketball Tournament led by three guys from Toledo - MVP Wyatt "Sonny" Boswell, Roscoe "Duke" Cumberland and Bernie Price. Boswell and Cumberland went to Scott HS and Price went to now closed Libbey.
Old 12-29-16, 07:21 PM
All American

Ok rdl! Thanks for joining in. These are difficult!

29. Is correct; I believe an event like this is called an occurrence of serendipity. K. C. Jones was Russel's room mate.

32. Yes, The Savoy Ballroom was in Chi town.

34. So close, we'll late you nudge it in with your toe. The two players traded for Russ were Easy Ed McCauley and Cliff Hagen from Kentucky.

I'll let this ride for awhile to see if anyone else wanders in.

rip - Carrie and Debbie.
Old 12-30-16, 12:18 AM
All World

One Who Knows is on a distinguished road
Sorry that I'm getting a late start on this. I just haven't been able to spend very much time online over the holidays. Below are a few guesses:

24. Three of the early Black NBA players were Earl Lloyd, Nate "Sweetwater" Cliffton and Chuck Cooper - who actually played in the first game.
Earl Lloyd

25. Walter Brown inherited the Celtics from his father, George. George was famous in another way in the city of Boston in another sport - what?
Managed Boston Gardens and headed the Boston Bruins

33. Bill Russel turned down a $50,000 offer from Globetrotter's owner for what reason?
He wanted to play at the highest level in the nation's biggest markets

37. In Wilt's first game at Kansas he had 52 points and 31 rebounds. Rock, chalk, Jayhawk won by a score of 87-69 over a Big Ten school. What team?
Illinois?

ROCK ON!
Old 12-30-16, 08:25 AM
All American

I held out just for you, pally!

24. It was Earl Lloyd who was the first Black player to play in a game.

25. Not sure about the Boston Bruins but it was Walter Brown who brought the Boston Marathon to Bean Town and fired the starting pistol to begin the race for several decades.

33. When Saperstein discussed playing for the Trotters , Bill's coach Phil Wolpert was present and Abe talked exclusively with Wolpert. Bill, never one to not address a preceived affront, was humiliated and promised he would never play for Abe S. in anything.

37. Wilt got his 31 boards and dipped for 51 points against the Wildcats of Northwestern.

I will update the tote board with complete answers to all of part two and I have a third installment ready to go, allowing for the fact that we are hitting the major bowl games and many of you will be out and about the next few days, the next segment may be posted and allowed to ride for several days.

Good showing by the smartest guys in the room!
Old 12-30-16, 11:15 AM
All American

Answers to part two of the Early NBA Quiz are posted. Will try to get part three on soon and let it ride for a day or two.
Old 12-30-16, 07:54 PM
All American

Here we go with Part three of the Early NBA Quiz:

38. Tommy Kearns jumped center for North Carolina the night they beat Kansas in the final. Within 2 inches how tall was Kearns. (Hint: Frank McGuire had Kearns jump to upset Wilt and get in his head.) KEARNS WAS 5'9"

39. Was the game in the 40's, 50's 60's or 70's? THE GAME WAS IN THE 1950's.

40. How many overtimes - if any? THREE

41. Bill Russel was not the rookie of the year in '56, who was? TOMMY HEINSOHN FROM HOLY CROSS

42. Russel told the winner that he ought to give him half of the check because the winner didn't deserve all of it. Was the check $300, $600, or $900? HEINSOHN GOT A WHOPPING $300.

Just some filler:

Ed Finke a garage mechanic in Cincinnati and Red got into a fight in the stands at Cincinatti Garden. When Finke dropped his pursuit of the case, Red left him tickets every time the Celtics played there.

Wilt's NBA debut was Oct 24, 1959. He dropped 43 and 28 on the Knicks.

Attendance increased by almost one fourth when Wilt entered the league.

Wilt got 58 in his second game which was against the Pistons.

43. The playoff pool for the winner of the championship to be split by the winning team members was under $20,000 - within $1,500 how much was the pot? THE AMOUNT OF MONEY TO BE SPLIT BY THE ENTIRE WINNING TEAM WAS $18,500.

44. In 1985 Wilt stated he was paid $4,00 a year at Kansas by boosters. In 1968 he was offered a contract of $46,000; with incentives it could rise to $55,000, $65,000 or $75,000? $65,000

45. Russel couldn't play golf at the Worcester Country Club with Cousy. Why not? UNSPOKEN RULE ON NO BLACKS

46. Who was the NBA rookie of the year in '55? MAURICE STOKES

47. This rookie died at the age of 37. Who was his caretaker from the time he became ill until he passed away? JACK TWYMAN

48. Of Red A's nine championship, how many were won in a row? EIGHT

48. Despite being a dictatorial coach, Red was very loyal. From the time Russel joined the team how many players did Red Auerbach trade over the next ten years?

49. Who were the top three Celtic draft picks in '56? RUSSEL< K.C. and HEINSOHN

More... . Wilt high jumped 6'10" in high school, threw a 16 pound shot 55' and ran a quarter mile in 47 seconds. Wilt's stride in full sprint was nine feet!

Last edited by Bevo; 12-31-16 at 10:56 PM.
Old 12-30-16, 11:13 PM
All World

I'll start the music with these three guesses:

38. Tommy Kearns jumped center for North Carolina the night they beat Kansas in the final. Within 2 inches how tall was Kearns. (Hint: Frank McGuire had Kearns jump to upset Wilt and get in his head.)
5'11"

39. Was the game in the 40's, 50's 60's or 70's?

40. How many overtimes - if any?
3 overtimes

Here's some trivia concerning Tommy Kearns. What Hall of Famer was Kearns' high school coach?

ROCK ON!
Old 12-30-16, 11:19 PM
All American

38. Bingo on Kearns - he was 5'9"

39. owk - I should have said points, not hinted that it was a year. Was the score in the 50's, 50's, 60's or 70's? Shoot again, lane violation on Bevo.

40. Correct - it was three o.t.'s.
Old 12-30-16, 11:34 PM
All World

The score of the 3-OT game between Kansas and North Carolina was in the 50s.

ROCK ON!

Last edited by One Who Knows; 01-01-17 at 11:31 AM.
Old 12-31-16, 12:03 AM
All American

You got it. 54-53. Wilt had 23.

Tough. tough loss for Meechigan!
Old 12-31-16, 04:19 AM
All Ohio

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
45. The club didn't allow black people to play.

47. Maurice Stokes, whose guardian (and one of my all-time heroes) was Jack Twyman. (Thanks, Bevo, for putting one right into my wheelhouse ).

48. Eight.
Old 12-31-16, 08:00 AM
All American

Monclova - Correct across the board on 45, 47 and 48!

Jack Twyman was a great humanitarian for Mo Stokes. OWK will have to favor us sometime with the story of the time he spoke to Jack.
Old 12-31-16, 09:54 AM
All American

And some more... .

Clyde Lovellette elbowed Wilt viciously in a game and some of Wilt's teeth went backward and punctured the roof of his mouth. Then Willie Naulls did the same thing a couple of games later when Wilt had resumed play wearing a mask.
An infection set in and blood poisoning that led to Wilt losing fourth teeth.

Wilt had dental problems the rest of his life because of these incidents. As the Dipper would say, "It's not easy being Goliath".

Wilt's first year he broke Bob Pettit 's one year scoring record by 600 points when he went for 2,707. He also broke Russel's one year rebounding record of 1,612 by grabbing 1,941.

As might be expected in the late 50's teams traveled by train and bus.

The Minneapolis Lakers drafted Elgin Baylor in '58 from Seattle University and signed him for a one year salary of $20,000.

Interestingly enough, Baylor had a great head fake and a herky-jerky movement when driving, and was actually afflicted with something called Ataxia. This would manifest itself when Elgin was nervous and cause his head to dip toward his shoulders when he was under stress; i.e., in a game. (Watch a clip of Elgin playing and you can see this physical movement.)
Old 12-31-16, 08:26 PM
All American

Baylor became the first player to protest by sitting out when he was not allowed to stay or eat with the team in Charleston, W.V. Hot Rod Hundley encouraged Baylor (H.R. from W.V.) to play but then backed him.

The Lakers' coach, John Kundla, left for the U. of Minnesota job. To support Elgin and make him happy,, Bob Short, owner of the team, hired Baylor's college coach, John Castellani.

So valuable was Elgin that when he was called for basic training in the Army, Short moved the entire team training camp to San Antonio. The Army gave the Lakers their own barracks to stay in.

In Elgin Baylor's first game he scored 52! On November 8, 1957 he scored 64, breaking the previous record of 63 from 1949 held by Joe Fulks.

Short and his partner bought the entire Laker franchise for $85,000.

Initially Short was voted down on moving his team to L.A. because of the extra cost of the other owners would incur. When Short agreed to pay whatever additional cost was incurred by the other teams beyond what a trip to Minneapolis would entail, the other owners agreed.

In the '60 draft The Big O went to the Royals, and Jerry West was the second pick. West had hoped to go to the Knicks. The Logo and the Dipper - despite a nine inch height difference - wore the same shirt sleeve length.

I'll provide the rest of the answers to part three later.

Now posted!

Last edited by Bevo; 12-31-16 at 10:59 PM.
Old 01-01-17, 12:46 AM
All American

I believe it was Zurnado or Monclova who mentioned an instrumental song several months ago. I believe it was part of JB's lists but I looked and didn't see anything.

It was really a great song and I said so. The surprise was that it had a really strange title. Lot of horns! Lot of repetition. Anyone??

I want to say the name of the song or band was The Herd but I don't think so.
Old 01-01-17, 11:30 AM
All World

Here's some trivia concerning Tommy Kearns. What Hall of Famer was Kearns' high school coach?

For those interested, Tommy Kearns' high coach at St. Ann's Academy in NYC (now Archbishop Molloy) was first-year head coach Lou Carnesecca. Tommy and Dayton star, Don Lane, teamed in the backcourt at St. Ann's in 1954.

Have a Happy New Year and Keep the Ball Rollin'
Old 01-01-17, 11:41 AM
All American

Wow - what a trivia question that is!

No joy in Mudville this morning. The Bucks' weaknesses are always so pronounced when they blow - and they did. Item 1. The Barrett conumdrum.
Old 01-01-17, 02:10 PM
All Ohio

Johnstown Benny is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
I believe it was Zurnado or Monclova who mentioned an instrumental song several months ago. I believe it was part of JB's lists but I looked and didn't see anything.

It was really a great song and I said so. The surprise was that it had a really strange title. Lot of horns! Lot of repetition. Anyone??

Was it "The Horse" by Cliff Nobles and Company ?? It had lots of horns, ( the horn section later evolved into the MFSB which was the "Sound of Philadelphia" a few years later. It also had lots of repetition. It reached #2 back in the summer of 1968 and Booker T and The MG's had a nice cover of it on one of their albums.

That's the only tune I can think of that fits your clues. . .Herd/Horse ??
Yeah. I know it's a stretch.

JB
Old 01-01-17, 02:29 PM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post

I think Johnstown Benny's post is the answer, so it must have been referenced earlier by Monclova Steve. I just gave "The Horse" a listen, and I don't recall the tune, title, or artist. #2 on the charts? Interesting.

The only thing close to an instrumental with horns dealing with a herd that I could think of mentioning recently was "The Lonely Bull".
Old 01-01-17, 02:47 PM
All American

Wow - JB with a major assist from Z. That's it!!! I gotta write these down; the mood hits and I can't remember the song. Like Mash Makhan's "As the Year's Go By". So - early 70's. Got a nice corny hook to it with the organ . Check it out - if you have forgotten it.

Got some early NBA stuff coming on Wilt's 100 point game.
Old 01-01-17, 03:14 PM
All American

I just love that song! Archie Brell and The Drells popped up for me also with Tighten Up. That's great, also!

"Come on now, drummer; tighten for up me."

I swear in my most old foogiest, the music was soooooooo much better then.
Old 01-01-17, 05:35 PM
All District

Diva is on a distinguished road
Hi everyone, I just wanted to stop in and say Happy New Year to all of you!

P.S., I adored "The Lonely Bull". (Herb Alpert's version) I was in grade school. My mom and I were out shopping at one of the old JCPenney's or something like that and that song was on the loudspeaker. I wanted to know what it was because I loved it so much. My dear mom got a manager who went into the closet where the record was playing and found out for me what it was.
Old 01-01-17, 06:06 PM
All American

All of Herb Alpert's stuff was great. Still at it, I believe.

Happy New Year to everyone, also! I heard something about a ball dropping last night.

You rockers like me, J.B., OWK, Monclova, , Zurnado; et. al., (Diva, I am skipping you because you're young!) would really enjoy Springsteen's book, "Born to Run". He is two years older than me but when he describes the bands he listened to and the dances he went to in Freehold, it could be any of our home towns. Really, really good read.

(Diva - your rock bona fides are well noted on here!)

Last edited by Bevo; 01-01-17 at 07:17 PM.
Old 01-01-17, 06:22 PM
All District

Diva is on a distinguished road
I may be a few years younger, but I tried to keep up with the songs during my younger years. I think I could be considered a rocker since I was actually in a rock band back in my glory days and sang hundreds of songs. Ann Wilson was my mentor; you could say we were "Heart" specialists, having done 17 of their songs over the years. She taught me how to sing.

Bruce's book is on my ever-growing list of to-read books on Goodreads.
Old 01-01-17, 06:30 PM
All American

WILT's 100!

In the 61'-62' season Elgin Baylor scored 71 breaking his own record of 64, from the year before.

Then in a game between the Lakers and the Warriors that ended regulation 109-109, Wilt had 53 and Elgin 47. By the time the tripple overtime affair ended Baylor had put in 63 but Wilt had broken the old record by scoring 78.

About a month later in a game against the Chicago Packers, an expansion team, Wilt put in 73 in regulation. The result more often than not was a game against Syracuse, who beat the Warriors by one point. Wilt was 9-27 from the foul line in that game and actually shot below 50 % from the foul line for the season.

Then the epic game occurred on March 2, 1962 in Hershey P.A. at the Hershey arena in a game between the Warriors and the Knicks. This amazing event, during a season when Wilt averaged over 50 points per game happened in front of just 4,124 spectators.

That something magical was taking place should have been recognized by the fact that The Dipper hit his first nine foul shots.

First quarter Warriors led 42-26 and Wilt had 23
Second quarter, Wilt tossed in a meager 18, for a total of 41 at the half.
In the third quarter Wilt popped in 28 and entered the fourth quarter with 69.
In quarter four Wilt had 75 with 10 minutes and 10 seconds to go.

With five minutes to go in quarter four, Wilt was at 89. With two minutes to go Wilt made three free throws to hit 92.

By this time Wilt was bringing the ball down the floor and he hit a long jumper for 94, and then another jump shot for 96.

With one minute and 19 seconds to go Wilt had 98 and was guarding the inbounds' play. He stole the ball but missed , got a rebound and missed again. Coming back down after a Knicks foul shot, Wilt missed again.

Finally, with 46 seconds to play Wilt got a lob pass and laid it in for his 99th. and 100th. points. Now, it is well known that the Knicks were fouling him and that the Warriors were giving him the ball on most plays - exclusively near the end. Also, the Warriors were fouling the Knicks whenever they had the ball to stop the clock.

No photographers- just Wilt holding a small tablet page with the number 100 written on it.

Wilt scored 31 in the fourth quarter.

In the excitement at the end, the ball was placed in Wilt's carry-on bag but lost, never to be found again. A fake ball turned up about a decade ago and was sold for around $500,000. Later determined to be a fraud, the deal was rescinded.

Over the years Chamberlain lamented the side-show aspect to the end of the game and spoke about the 63 shots he had taken. Noting that no team in a pick up game would have tolerated his ball hogging.

Partially lost was the fact that Wilt made 36 shots. And, more amazingly he was a scorching 28-32 from the line (87%). Seventy two points on two point baskets and 28 single foul shots for a cool 100 points. Kobe Bryant has come the closest with 81.

Last edited by Bevo; 01-01-17 at 07:15 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: