Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-29-16, 09:26 AM
All World

One Who Knows is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown Benny View Post
Bevo, #17 is incorrect, but OWK had the same answer, are you guys tagteaming,lol
#13 is correct and why was I never invited to the Hill Brothers house?
I used to love their coffee.
JB
Hills Brothers Coffee! Love it!

I think Bevo and I had the incorrect answer to #17 due to this rendition:

ROCK ON
Old 08-29-16, 09:32 AM
All Ohio

Johnstown Benny is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Who Knows View Post
"JB" - The only SNAFU was mine! I wasn't sure if you automatically got three more guesses after midnight. Here are a few more guesses:

7. I Like It Like That, Chris Kenner
10. Apache, The Shadows
18. Mother-In -Law, Ernie K. Doe

Keep the Ball Rollin'
OWK,

7 is correct.
10 is not the version of "Apache" that I'm looking for. The Shadows had the
original but it only charted in England and never made U.S. Top 40. They of course, were the back up band for Cliff Richard, the English "Elvis". Bevo had the same answer earlier. See previous thread# 401 for more details. I am looking for a cover version that did chart in U.S.
18. is correct.

I have updated the results by editing the original thread # 389, but am not tech savvy enough to figure out how to bring it forward ?? I updated by using the "edit" , but not sure how to bring the thread to the forefront??

JB
Old 08-29-16, 09:43 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Hills Brothers Coffee! Love it!

I think Bevo and I had the incorrect answer to #17 due to this rendition:

ROCK ON

OWK,

I can understand the confusion with # 17 and Skeeter Davis obviously did have a recording of "He'll Have to Stay" however Skeeter was not a One Hit Wonder (remember the category, boys) and equally important was the fact her version did not crack the Top 40 Billboard Chart for Pop music. Don't know how it did on the Country charts.

PS Did you know Skeeter was once married to Ralph Emery of "The Nashville Now" show ? No wonder Ralph used to take all those Goody headache pills,

JB
Old 08-29-16, 09:49 AM
All American

Bevo is on a distinguished road
"Hills' Brothers' coffee is the Heavenly Coffee; Heavenly coffee. Better coffee, millionaires' money can't buy."

At the Hills' boys' parents both worked there was drinking going on there - but it wasn't coffee. First place I ever heard "Tobacco Road" and "Talk, Talk" and a host of other obscure songs.

As for the holding tight part, not going into a story but there are several. I was actually told on two different unrelated occasions to not hold my dance partner so closely. Once at junior high and the other time in a church basement! There were a lot of these songs but my favorite was Blue Velvet. One of the Hills use to bring along their copy just so it was available at dances.

Do you believe me? It is true.\

(Or was that the jingle for "Chock Full of Nuts"; we won't even go into the adoelscent yuks that accompanied this ear worm!)

Last edited by Bevo; 08-29-16 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-29-16, 12:17 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
"Hills' Brothers' coffee is the Heavenly Coffee; Heavenly coffee. Better coffee, millionaires' money can't buy."

At the Hills' boys' parents both worked there was drinking going on there - but it wasn't coffee. First place I ever heard "Tobacco Road" and "Talk, Talk" and a host of other obscure songs.

As for the holding tight part, not going into a story but there are several. I was actually told on two different unrelated occasions to not hold my dance partner so closely. Once at junior high and the other time in a church basement! There were a lot of these songs but my favorite was Blue Velvet. One of the Hills use to bring along their copy just so it was available at dances.

Do you believe me? It is true.\

(Or was that the jingle for "Chock Full of Nuts"; we won't even go into the adoelscent yuks that accompanied this ear worm!)
Bevo,

You should know that I have always believed everything you have ever posted. Yes, Chock Full Of Nuts Coffee was advertised as the "heavenly coffee". You also were also right about the comments the name of that java generated from the pre-teen young lads of the day, myself included I'm sure.

JB
Old 08-29-16, 12:33 PM
All American

Are we looking for 3,5,8,9,and 12?
Old 08-29-16, 02:40 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Are we looking for 3,5,8,9,and 12?

We still need these 7 unanswered questions.

3, 5, 8, 9, 10, 12, and 17. (10 and 17 were answered, but incorrect)

JB
Old 08-29-16, 03:33 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown Benny View Post
OWK,

I can understand the confusion with # 17 and Skeeter Davis obviously did have a recording of "He'll Have to Stay" however Skeeter was not a One Hit Wonder (remember the category, boys) and equally important was the fact her version did not crack the Top 40 Billboard Chart for Pop music. Don't know how it did on the Country charts.

PS Did you know Skeeter was once married to Ralph Emery of "The Nashville Now" show ? No wonder Ralph used to take all those Goody headache pills,

JB
"JB" - Now why would you think that we'd (Bevo and OWK) would read directions and/or follow the rules?

Bevo - I had totally forgotten about "Heavenly Coffee". I guess if I'm old enough to remember "Heavenly Coffee", I ought to know a few more oldies. Since we still need 3, 5, 8, 9, 10, 12, and 17, this is my last guess:

9. You Talk Too Much, Joe Jones

ROCK ON
Old 08-29-16, 04:15 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
"JB" - Now why would you think that we'd (Bevo and OWK) would read directions and/or follow the rules?

Bevo - I had totally forgotten about "Heavenly Coffee". I guess if I'm old enough to remember "Heavenly Coffee", I ought to know a few more oldies. Since we still need 3, 5, 8, 9, 10, 12, and 17, this is my last guess:

9. You Talk Too Much, Joe Jones

ROCK ON
OWK,

Joe Jones #9 is Correct . Here's a little piece of trivia on Mr. Joe Jones : He released the song "California Sun" which peaked at #89 in 1961 and as we all know by now, a group named The Rivieras took the same song all the way to #5 in 1964. Interesting stuff, huh.

After midnite tonite, unlimited guesses and still use any reference source you like, legal or non-legal otherwise known as " We don't need no stinkin' rules"

JB
Old 08-29-16, 06:26 PM
All American

We always pause to remember the truly unique among us when they pass. Always a bit sadder when it is someone who made us laugh and he did.

RIP - Gene Wilder
Old 08-29-16, 07:50 PM
All World

afwpatfire is on a distinguished road
3. Buddy Holly and the Crickets
5. Harry Belefonte
17. Skeeter Davis

Just helping finish up, hope these are correct. Getting my history lesson today.
Amazing how many songs have been redone by so many artists and groups.
Old 08-29-16, 08:12 PM
All World

afwpatfire - That's for providing an assist. Hopefully, it will help us finish this quiz.

Bevo - Nice mention of Gene Wilder passing. Maybe he'll be able to rest in peace with Roseanne Roseannadanna. RIP

Keep the Ball Rollin'
Old 08-29-16, 08:41 PM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Bevo - I had totally forgotten about "Heavenly Coffee". I guess if I'm old enough to remember "Heavenly Coffee", I ought to know a few more oldies.

ROCK ON
Maybe you (ahem) more senior guys might remember Butter-Nut coffee, the only coffee with a 7-minute radio commercial in 1958 - otherwise known as "Omaha", a musical written by Stan Freberg.

I only know about it because I read Freberg's autobiography, many years ago but it's a hoot. I don't think I've actually seen the Butter-Nut brand in Columbus.

NOTE: the product being advertised isn't mentioned until a little past the 5-minute mark. That must have made company execs a little nervous back then.

Old 08-29-16, 09:19 PM
All Ohio

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwpatfire View Post
3. Buddy Holly and the Crickets
5. Harry Belefonte
17. Skeeter Davis

Just helping finish up, hope these are correct. Getting my history lesson today.
Amazing how many songs have been redone by so many artists and groups.
afwpatfire,

Glad to hear from you again and hope you are enjoying your "history lesson" today.

3. Sorry, but Buddy Holly & The Crickets didn't hit the charts with the song "Last Night. Buddy and The Crickets did have a total of 8 songs reach the Top 40, but "Last Night" was not one of them. Remember, the topic is "One Hit Wonders", so the correct answer to any of the questions will be a group or individual(s) that only had a total of one hit record hitting Top 40.

5. Harry Belafonte even takes me back to my pre-teen years ! He had 6 singles all hit the Top 40 back in the 50's and this quiz begins with the 60's. The Song "Yellow Bird" was not a song that Belafonte had hit the charts,however.

17. Skeeter Davis has been a very popular answer today for question 17 as both Bevo and OWK guessed Skeeter also. Unfortunately, I must be the bearer of bad news and advise you that while Skeeter did record the song( I know this for a fact since OWK was kind enough to send me a link to a video of her recording the song in question) Skeeter's version never reached to Top 40 Pop charts and Skeeter doesn't qualify as a One Hit Wonder either since she had 4 songs hit the Top Top 40 charts making her ineligible.

I will mention an oddity to you about Skeeter Davis and the song " He'll Have To Stay". It was what is known as an "Answer"Song", in other words a song that actually is in answer or response to another song released earlier by a different artist. In the case of#17 it is an answer to the song : "He'll Have To Go" released by Jim Reeves.

Skeeter apparently liked those "Answer" songs since she had 2 other "Answer" songs that actually did reach the top 40 charts which I find very unusual. They were:

" I Can't Help You, I'm Falling Too" which reached # 39 in 1960 and was an answer song to Hank Locklin;s " Please Help Me I'm Falling" and

"My Last Date With You" which reached #26 in 1961 and was an answer song to Floyd Cramer's " Last Date".

Don't let this minor shutout discourage you from participating. The more the merrier and hope to hear from you soon.

JB
Old 08-29-16, 09:34 PM
All World

Wow!
I struck out on that one!!!
I'll give it another shot after midnight.
Old 08-29-16, 09:56 PM
All American

Were "Hey Paula" and "Hey Paul" a call and response records
Old 08-29-16, 10:16 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
Maybe you (ahem) more senior guys might remember Butter-Nut coffee, the only coffee with a 7-minute radio commercial in 1958 - otherwise known as "Omaha", a musical written by Stan Freberg.

I only know about it because I read Freberg's autobiography, many years ago but it's a hoot. I don't think I've actually seen the Butter-Nut brand in Columbus.

NOTE: the product being advertised isn't mentioned until a little past the 5-minute mark. That must have made company execs a little nervous back then.

Z,

Wow, Stan Freberg !! I am thinking this may be first time Mr. Freberg has made an AARP Boys thread. I haven't watched the youtube video yet, but your post did send me scampering down into the bowels of the JB abode, aka our basement where I have a huge part of my vinyl collection stored along with file cabinets full of old sports magazines , high school football and basketball programs Mrs JB insists be kept out sight and drives her crazy and thinks I'm on the verge of becoming a hoarder like on that reality show.

Anyway, I have my comedy albums separate from my music and among the Richard Pryor albums and the first Bill Cosby albums from my college days before the Coz started slipping every female a Mickey Finn, my prized collections of all the Jonathon Winters albums from the late 50's, all of which I had memorized by my sophomore year in HS, I just located the one Stan Freberg album I have entitled "Face The Funnies" and looking at the liner notes it is a compilation of the best of his 1957 radio show apparently. As I recall, It wasn't one of my favorite comedy albums, but may have to give it a spin sometime this week for old times'sake.

Your mention of Freberg really made me laugh as I recalled an incident from about 25 years ago that happened in a Holiday Inn lounge in the Middleburg Hts area in the Cleveland suburbs. I was in one of those week long management seminars and most of the attendees were from various cities around the state and in the evenings a group of us would usually meet in the lounge after dinner for a little R&R before calling it a night and getting ready for the next day's teamwork training, ice breakers, or team building role playing or whatever.

This night in particular there was both karaoke night and an ongoing trivia contest going on. Our table really wasn't doing much participation in either event after sitting thru 8 hours of classroom activities, but during the trivia contest the DJ would announce a song or a singer or even ask a geography question about the greater Cleveland area or whatever and the prizes were like a free photo session at Olan Mills or a free car wash or the like and anyway the guy asks something about Stan Freberg and some patron at the bar who had taken full advantage of the 3 hour Happy Hour just screams out " Lynyrd Skynryd" and kept yelling it over and over. He, of course thought the question was about the song " Free Bird" and kept yelling the artist's name. I can still remember laughing hysterically as the bartender was trying to calm this guy down and he insisted the answer was Lynard Skynryd and he had never heard of Stan Freberg. I think they either gave him a free drink to shut him up or threw him out and I don't recall what happened. Oh, well it was one of those things where you had to be there, I guess, but I'm still chucking as I type this.

Zunardo, thanks again for bringing Freeberg into the AARP Boys and giving me my daily blast from the past.

JB
Old 08-29-16, 10:20 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Wow!
I struck out on that one!!!
I'll give it another shot after midnight.
Hey just remember all the great home run hitters had more strike outs than home runs in their career, After midnite you have unlimited guesses and welcome to use any resource available. Go for the fences tonight !

Good Luck

JB
Old 08-29-16, 10:39 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Were "Hey Paula" and "Hey Paul" a call and response records
That sounds fitting to me. Since Paul sings to Paula and then vice versa all in the same song instead of a separate record, they cover the entire issue in
2 minutes and 25 seconds.

Another option would be for you to do what one of my history teachers would do if someone asked a question he didn't know, he would always say, " That's a great question, why don't you do a research paper on that and give a report on your findings to the class tomorrow" .

JB
Old 08-29-16, 10:49 PM
All Ohio

Hopefully, we can get this first quiz on "One Hit Wonders" wrapped up overnight and we can get on with our lives. This first quiz covered the years of 1960 and 1961. I'm not sure if anyone is ready for the next installment of the years 1962 and 1963 ?????

If there are still unanswered questions by noon on Tuesday, I'll go ahead and give the remaining answers so we can get this behind us.

We still need these 6 questions : 3, 5, 8, 10, 12,and 17.

JB
Old 08-29-16, 11:14 PM
All World

3. The Mar-Keys
5. Arthur Lyman
17. Jeanne Black
Old 08-30-16, 12:46 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
3. The Mar-Keys
5. Arthur Lyman
17. Jeanne Black
Well, alright afwpatfire !

You just went from 3 strikeouts to 3 home runs all in the same night.
Glad you took my advice.

This only leaves 3 more questions to wrap this quiz up.
We still need 8, 10, and 12.

JB

Old 08-30-16, 07:08 AM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Since cheating - excuse me, "research" is now allowed:

8. "Sailor" - Petula Clark
10. "Apache" - The Shadows
12. "I know" - Barbara George

I had to Youtube them first, but I am familiar with Apache and I Know, just not intimate. It's like they're in my head as background music or commercial themes.

Don't think I've ever heard Sailor before.

Found a great "live" video of Apache. Note the guitarist with the James Dean vibe and what he does during the opening riff.

Old 08-30-16, 07:27 AM
All World

We might be short on correct answers of late, but the info has been interesting. Thanks to the younger guys (music to you ears, huh?) for your persistence in working to complete this trivia quiz.

I'm going to attempt to add a correct answer. I hope I'm close since I did use reference materials for this answer:

10. Apache (USA version) - Jørgen Ingmann

ROCK ON
Old 08-30-16, 07:32 AM
All American

Of course, we want part two! Just give us a shout out as to when it's coming.
Old 08-30-16, 08:26 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
Since cheating - excuse me, "research" is now allowed:

8. "Sailor" - Petula Clark
10. "Apache" - The Shadows
12. "I know" - Barbara George

I had to Youtube them first, but I am familiar with Apache and I Know, just not intimate. It's like they're in my head as background music or commercial themes.

Don't think I've ever heard Sailor before.

Found a great "live" video of Apache. Note the guitarist with the James Dean vibe and what he does during the opening riff.

Zunardo,

It is "legalized research" sanctioned by the governing body of this Quiz.

8. "Sailor" - Petula Clark is incorrect. Remember the basis for this quiz is "One Hit Wonders". Pet Clark actually had 15 songs land in the Bill Board American Top 40 including 2 that even reached #1. "Sailor" never made it into the U.S. Top 40 charts. She may have recorded the song in her long career but it was never a charted song on the Top 40, at least in the sates.

10 " Apache" - Not the version that reached the U.S. Billboard magazine Top 40 chart anyway. We have previously had The Shadows guessed by others but while The Shadows had a huge international hit with the original "Apache", it never made it onto the U.S. Top 40. The Shadows were the backup band for the English pop icon, Cliff Richard, who had 9 songs make the U.S. Top 40 in the 50's 60's,70's and 80's but had over 80 songs chart in England, including 10 that reached #1 in England. The Shadows disbanded in 1969.

The version of "Apache" I am looking for was actually a cover of the The Shadows big international hit and although The Shadows version of "Apache" outsold this version it still never made the Top 40 in the states. The version I need is by a one hit wonder and reached #2 on the American charts in 1961.

I really enjoyed the youtube video you attached of The Shadows. How cool was that ! Those guys were New Wave 20 years before there was New Wave.
As I watched it, thought it looked like some refugees from Madame Tussand's Wax Museum. . .look-a-likes for Buddy Holly, James Dean, and Nick Nolte. I had a striped sweater just like the drummer was wearing back in 1961 or 1962. That video should be included in the next edition of "The Catalog Of Cool".

12. Yes, Barbara George is correct. Her song " I Know ( You Don't Love Me No More") was truly the definitive One Hit Wonder. She was a 'One and done" recording artist. One mega hit in '62 that went to #3 and that was it, never to be heard from again, had one throw away album and a single that went nowhere and then back to Louisiana. I understand she tried a comeback in the early 80's without success.

JB
Old 08-30-16, 08:45 AM
All World

Zunardo - Good job "scoring" on Barbara George. Man, these last few questions have been tough. I haven't felt like this since I did poorly on a test in college in which I had the answer key BEFORE the test.

JB - Are you sure that Jørgen Ingmann isn't the correct answer???

ROCK ON
Old 08-30-16, 08:51 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
We might be short on correct answers of late, but the info has been interesting. Thanks to the younger guys (music to you ears, huh?) for your persistence in working to complete this trivia quiz.

I'm going to attempt to add a correct answer. I hope I'm close since I did use reference materials for this answer:

10. Apache (USA version) - Jørgen Ingmann

ROCK ON

OWK,

Yes !!!! We have now solved the "Apache" mystery. The answer is Jorgen Ingmann, I know, not exactly a household name, but you veterans should remember we actually talked about this guy on an earlier trivia quiz on the old site. Anyway, Jorgen Ingmann was a Dane who hit big with a cover version of The Shadows big seller "Apache". The song was first released by an English artist, Bert Weedon, songwriter named Jerry Lordan wrote the tune, but couldn't come up with any lyrics and I guess no one else could either. Ingmann expected "Apache" to be the "B" side of a song he wrote called "Echo Boogie". His record manager at the time was Bent Fabric, (remember him for" Alley Cat"). The goal with "Echo Boogie" was to establish Ingmann as a star in the United States, Ingmann was completely stunned when Bent Fabric told him that the "B" side was a huge hit in the states reaching #2.

Now with Zunardo correctly answering # 12 with Barbara George that means we are down to one last song before closing this chapter.

I need the answer to #8. Who had the hit "Sailor" in 1960 ? It reached # 5 on the American Top 40 and I doubt if anyone in country would get this without doing some research. It is a toughie for sure. Here's a clue guaranteed not to help I'm sure. . . .The artist was female, born in Austria, and the song the very first record sung in German by a female artist to reach the Billboard Top 10.

JB
Old 08-30-16, 08:52 AM
All World

Lets finish this off

8. Lolita
Old 08-30-16, 08:55 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Zunardo - Good job "scoring" on Barbara George. Man, these last few questions have been tough. I haven't felt like this since I did poorly on a test in college in which I had the answer key BEFORE the test.

JB - Are you sure that Jørgen Ingmann isn't the correct answer???

ROCK ON
OWK, Yes, that is the correct answer, May have missed this particular post, but just submitted a post prior to this reply acknowledging your correct answer. Sorry.

JB

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: