Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > Elder Panthers

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-15-17, 07:35 PM
All World

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
Candidate's Night October 18

The Community Councils for East, West and Lower Price Hill, the East Price Hill Business Alliance, West Price Hill Merchants Association and Elder High School will be sponsoring a candidate's night this Wednesday, October 18 from 7:00 p.m. until 9:00 p.m. in the Schaeper Center. It will be moderated in a town hall format by Kristyn Hartman of WCPO News. Doors open at 6:00 p.m..

Both mayoral candidates and all but two of the city council candidates have indicated that they will be participating.

This is a great opportunity to get to know the candidates before this November's election and to impress upon our office holders how important the Westside neighborhoods are to the City and to their election chances.

Please consider coming to this event. A good showing is very important.

Last edited by Purplemojo; 10-15-17 at 09:46 PM.
Old 10-16-17, 10:43 AM
All World

Jteegardner
FYI The flyer some may have received regarding Judge Ginocchio is incorrect. She is from the east side and has recently rented an apartment in Westwood. She has stated her opponent does not live in the district they want to represent but they way the lines are drawn, he lives in Westwood where the district is across the street and one house over. He has lived on the west side all his life and raised his family thru Catholic education.

https://www.electkevindonovanforjudge.com/new-page-1/
Old 10-16-17, 07:48 PM
All World

I have heard the same thing that JT mentions above. I do not know Judge Ginocchio but I know her father-in-law, mother-in-law and her uncle. They are fine people and her mother-in-law was in fact raised in Price Hill (St. William parish I believe). I believe she is fully competent to serve as Municipal Court Judge. I do know Kevin Donovan and what JT says about him is true. He is a good man who has valued his participation in his community, his parish and has been devoted to providing a Catholic education for his children. He has also been a good City Prosecutor and is qualified to serve as Municipal Court Judge.

For those who don't know, Municipal Court is presided over by judges elected from a number of districts, but they do preside over cases from across the county, not just those which originate within their district. The district system was put in place after a informal agreement between the two parties (to not challenge each other's minority judges) broke down, in order to insure diversity on the Municipal Court bench.

From the poster I saw about the event at Elder, there will not be any judicial candidates at this event.

I am not sure for whom I will cast my vote.
Old 10-17-17, 11:26 AM
All World

Jteegardner
I cannot tell whom to vote for. What I can tell you is I emailed Ginocchio three times asking the question "how long have you lived on the west side"? After the 2nd email, I got a generic response how she is thrilled to represent the west side and who endorsed her. She never answered the question. I asked her volunteers working the Elder games the same question and they ether didn't know or proceeded to tell me Kevin can't even vote for himself because he doesn't live in the district. Again, he literally lives across the street and one house over from the boundary line. Living in Westwood in a little different than living on the east side. Just some food for thought.
Old 10-17-17, 11:34 AM
All American

SMARTY22 is on a distinguished road
I think Judge Ginocchio's current bailiff is a lifelong west sider (retired from CPD I believe).She also had a lot of supporters at one of the St. Als Ohio old timers softball tournaments that I was at. If I'm understanding this correctly neither candidate lives in the current district but one has been raised and raised a family in the nearby district and one has not?
Old 10-17-17, 12:07 PM
All World

Jteegardner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMARTY22 View Post
I think Judge Ginocchio's current bailiff is a lifelong west sider (retired from CPD I believe).She also had a lot of supporters at one of the St. Als Ohio old timers softball tournaments that I was at. If I'm understanding this correctly neither candidate lives in the current district but one has been raised and raised a family in the nearby district and one has not?
That is true.

please go to www.electkevindonovanforjudge.com
Old 10-17-17, 12:53 PM
All Yappi

EHS 2001 is on a distinguished road
Here's a little background--and speculation--from the Enquirer about how Ginochio was appointed to the opening on the municipal court. http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news...tly/771398001/

And a quick summary from another article (http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news...ce/99783908/):
Quote:
FALLOUT FROM KASICH'S DECISION?

Sharks smell blood in the water after Gov. John Kasich's revenge-decision in February to appoint an East Side resident to an open judicial seat on the West Side. Westwood resident and senior assistant city prosecutor Kevin Donovan announced this week he will challenge fellow Republican Jackie Ginocchio in a municipal district that covers parts of West Price Hill, Westwood, Delhi Township and Harrison.

As PX first reported in February, Kasich ignored the Hamilton County Republican Party's specific recommendation to appoint Delhi Township Trustee and District 7 resident Will Oswall and instead picked Anderson Township's Ginocchio. It's not required for a judge to live in the district, and the local GOP really likes Ginocchio and recently unanimously endorsed her.

But Kasich's decision to appoint someone who lives some 30 miles away from some parts of the district has opened the door for Republicans to do battle and spend money against each other ahead of the November election. It's believed Kasich intentionally made the Ginocchio appointment to get revenge on some Hamilton County GOP leaders for supporting Trump-backed Jane Timken in the vote for state party chair.

In fairness, Donovan or anyone else still could've jumped into the race even if Oswall had received the appointment.
Just another reason to dislike John Kasich. Isn't Will Oswall an Elder grad?
Old 10-17-17, 01:32 PM
All World

Jteegardner
Quote:
Originally Posted by EHS 2001 View Post
Here's a little background--and speculation--from the Enquirer about how Ginochio was appointed to the opening on the municipal court. http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news...tly/771398001/

And a quick summary from another article (http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news...ce/99783908/):

Ginocchio recently rented an apartment in Westwood to make it look like her residence is on the West Side. Key word in the article above is East Side and Anderson Township.

Last edited by Jteegardner; 10-17-17 at 05:35 PM.
Old 10-17-17, 03:02 PM
All World

Quote:

I don't believe that Will is a native Westsider but married a westside girl and has been a Delhi resident since law school. Not an Elder grad but a good guy and he has done quite a bit to shake the dust off Delhi Pike and get the Township moving forward. Mike Davis is just a nut in my book. Nice guy but just a nut.
Old 10-18-17, 08:53 AM
All Yappi

Don Flamenco
Quote:

Interesting stuff. I'll definitely be voting for Donovan then. I didn't know the back story on this. Kasich has turned into a total clown.
Old 10-18-17, 03:05 PM
All World

Try to make it tonight if you live in the City. We need a good showing from the westside.
Old 10-18-17, 06:59 PM
All American

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Just an outsider wondering. I am not trying to be critical but curious. Why does it matter where someone lives when presiding over court cases? Does where they live really affect your decision as opposed to who may be the most qualified? To me I want to know their credentials and view points not where they live. I understand Ginnochio made it a point but it still wouldn't affect my vote. What are the most important qualities in a candidate for you
Old 10-18-17, 07:39 PM
Varsity

IKS is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
Just an outsider wondering. I am not trying to be critical but curious. Why does it matter where someone lives when presiding over court cases? Does where they live really affect your decision as opposed to who may be the most qualified? To me I want to know their credentials and view points not where they live. I understand Ginnochio made it a point but it still wouldn't affect my vote. What are the most important qualities in a candidate for you
This may be one reason the Driehaus' get elected.
Old 10-18-17, 09:20 PM
All World

The event went on very well tonight and showcased the westside in a very positive light. Kristyn Hartman of wcpo did a great job.

My picks:

Mayor - Cranley
Top Five for City Council - Smitherman, Murray, Pastor, Maney and Frondorf
Old 10-19-17, 07:42 AM
All American

From the little I saw on the 11 news it looked like a very good turn out last night!
Old 10-19-17, 08:24 AM
All Yappi

EHS 2001 is on a distinguished road
If you weren't able to be there last night you can watch an archive of Elder's stream of the event: https://boxcast.tv/view/meet-the-cit...18-2017-549057
Old 10-19-17, 09:58 AM
All World

Jteegardner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
It doesn't matter where they live as long as they live in Hamilton Co but Ginocchio has stated in her flyer she is raising her family on the West side where in reality she has liven in Anderson Township and as recently as August rented an Apt in Price hill. The fact is when asked how long she has lived on the west side I could not get a straight answer. I want honesty and integrity in my candidate. Donovan has more experience in the judicial system than the others combined.
Old 10-19-17, 10:02 AM
All World

Jteegardner
Plus when Ginocchio's workers were asked how long she lived on the westside, THEY made the point Donovan does not live in the district and he can't even vote for himself. This was told to me at the Elder - Moeller game. Again, I want honesty and integrity.
Old 10-19-17, 10:16 AM
All American

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jteegardner View Post
It doesn't matter where they live as long as they live in Hamilton Co but Ginocchio has stated in her flyer she is raising her family on the West side where in reality she has liven in Anderson Township and as recently as August rented an Apt in Price hill. The fact is when asked how long she has lived on the west side I could not get a straight answer. I want honesty and integrity in my candidate. Donovan has more experience in the judicial system than the others combined.
Fair enough. Just seems weird to me that people, Ginnpchio included, make it a point as to where they live. I see it here in Texas all the time.

I guess Ginocchio thought it would be important to westsiders that she moved into the community. Interesting to see if she loses where she will reside. Career politicians moving to keep/get a job makes me laugh.

I do see her point in moving however I wouldn't have brought up anything about Donovan not living in the district. Westsiders from my experience seem to be loyal to their own which I can see as a good thing.
Old 10-19-17, 10:45 AM
All American

trey2k is an unknown quantity at this point
Why can't she just say "I rented an apartment over here to get some votes"...I'd have much more respect than her (or any politician) beating around the bush and playing people for fools.
Old 10-19-17, 11:31 AM
All American

How has Ginocchio's time on the bench gone so far? That experience (even just a little) is invaluable in my opinion and should be looked into by the Voters of the district before Election Day.
Old 10-19-17, 01:14 PM
All Yappi

Don Flamenco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post

Mayor - Cranley
That's a no brainer for any west side resident who has any hope of seeing their neighborhoods improve. Simpson would be disastrous for the entire city but especially Price Hill.
Old 10-19-17, 04:15 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMARTY22 View Post
From the little I saw on the 11 news it looked like a very good turn out last night!
Yes. It was very well done. The young men from Elder made a good showing. I would have liked to have seen another 40 or so people there but it was a good event for the candidates, the spounsoring organizations and for the westside as a whole.
Old 11-08-17, 08:41 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post
The event went on very well tonight and showcased the westside in a very positive light. Kristyn Hartman of wcpo did a great job.

My picks:

Mayor - Cranley
Top Five for City Council - Smitherman, Murray, Pastor, Maney and Frondorf
Well I got the mayor right. I hope he gives the westside more than lip service and empty promises this time. Smitherman and Murray were no brainers. I am very happy about Pastor, a young USN veteran, a conservative and a Republican giving a much needed infusion of diversity of thought on Council (he will join Murray in that regard). I was disappointed by Maney and especially Frondorf's finish, but both are well positioned to improve on their performance next time, when six incumbents will be term limited. Frondorf is a westsider (westwood) with connections to Elder and Maney is a real estate agent that is looking to do development work and says he is looking for opportunities on the westside. He is a Republican and would add to more much needed fiscal conservatism on Council.

Although I did not include Tamaya Dennard in my five, I met her and did like her quite a bit. She ran as a Charterite with Frondorf and, although a bit more liberal than I am, she seems very bright, very energetic and showed genuine concern for westside issues. I think she will do well.

In another race Ginochio won with a strong majority. I understand that she is looking to buy on the westside as soon as her Anderson Township home sells. I hope she follows through with that plan.

Finally, Davis beat Oswald for Delhi Trustee. That is very disappointing. I heard Davis on the Thomas radio show and he basically said Oswald and Sieve were doing a great job, he would not do anything differently, but he just wanted his job back after sitting out a term to take care of his sick mother. Nice that he took care of his mother but his ego and his needing a job are poor reasons to elect someone to office.