Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > Elder Panthers

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-26-17, 03:36 PM
All American

trey2k is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
Jumping into the development discussion, unless a kid has a chance to see the field, I don't think they should be moved up from Frosh to JV. If they're battling for a spot and can get on the field, then sure it would be beneficial to play against bigger/better competition.

Full disclaimer, I haven't been to a Freshmen game this year so I'm not sure if Elder is doing this, but I've always believed for development purposes there should a lot of rotation (whether it's an A game or B game). I remember a few years back where Elder rotated 3 different QBs at the Frosh level, which made a lot of people angry because one looked much better than the rest. I'm all about winning games, but if you have 2-3 pretty competent players at a given position, why wouldn't you play them all. You could rotate series, rotate quarters, rotate halves, etc. Just get them in the game and see what happens. In the situation with the QBs, the one who happened to be best as a Frosh, didn't start at QB as a senior.
This makes alot of sense at the freshman level.
Old 10-26-17, 03:37 PM
All American

trey2k is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyelder View Post
Agreed.

Disagree. With 60 kids on the Freshman team, kids need to play. You cant just take the top 14 and play them endlessly and expect to maintain numbers in the program. Freshman football needs to be development and for all of them, it's an introduction to high school sports and the responsibility of being a student at the same time. I think we all want the program to do well but I think most chalk this year up to learning the sport and Elder systems.
Agree with this 100x.
Old 10-26-17, 05:54 PM
All Yappi

Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
You can't play every kid at the expense of reps for the better players. The best 30-40 players should take at least 75% of the total snaps as Frosh.