Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-20-18, 09:07 PM
Freshman

Hartley1 is on a distinguished road
CCL & GCL Merge

I am hearing rumors of the CCL and GCL merging for football. This will make scheduling easier. Any truth to this. I think it is a great thing.
Hartley vs Alter every year would be great.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-18, 05:14 AM
All World

Irwin20 is on a distinguished road
How many teams in the CCL? If the premise is that Bacon and Purcell are leaving the GCL Coed that leaves 6 teams (or 5 games). So 5 spots to fill on the schedule. Its a lot of potential travel for a school like McNick who already have an hour (plus) trip to CJ, Carroll and Alter and about 45 min to Badin. I guess it could happen but more likely just throwing it out there because of the potential Coed shakeup.
Old 03-21-18, 12:15 PM
All District

WJ-OSU-STEELERS is on a distinguished road
There are 5 teams in the CCL: DeSales, Watterson, Hartley, St. Charles and Ready. However, Ready only plays Harley. Ready (Div V) currently plays teams from the Mid State League - Ohio in weeks 4-10 but does not play for the MSL Ohio league championship. DeSales, Watterson & Hartley are Div III and St. Charles is Div II so size wise, it would be a fit with the remaining GCL Coed schools. A couple of concerns regarding this possible football only merger: 1) distance - All 4 of the Columbus schools are on the East or North side of Columbus thus the GCL teams would have to deal with Columbus rush hour traffic in trying to get to the games. 2) Alter would definitely be able to hold their own and I think the GCL teams would fair very well vs St. Charles. However, I believe the GCL teams (excluding Alter) would have a rough go of it vs DeSales, Watterson & Hartley. Watterson has been down the last 3 or 4 years but I can't see that continuing - their football tradition would lead one to think they will rebound. DeSales has been extremely good for the last 30+ years and Hartley has been on a great run the last 10 years.

I think the GCL will find another solution to the potential scheduling problem should Roger Bacon & Purcell Marian leave. Also, I do not know if the CCL teams would be interested.

Last edited by WJ-OSU-STEELERS; 03-21-18 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-21-18, 02:01 PM
Varsity

aztecjim is on a distinguished road
Didn't the Dayton and Columbus Catholic schools try this and it failed in the 80s?
Old 03-21-18, 02:58 PM
All American

King Arthur is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd rather drive to Columbus than Cincinnati, plus the games would be so much better.
Old 03-21-18, 03:33 PM
All Ohio

TCSoup is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztecjim View Post
Didn't the Dayton and Columbus Catholic schools try this and it failed in the 80s?
yes they did not sure why it didn't continue.
Old 03-22-18, 10:45 AM
Freshman

ColumbusCatholic is on a distinguished road
This should happen! Would keep Watterson from scheduling WAY over its head by scheduling D1 schools like Bradley and Orange. Would keep DeSales from going to Indiana, West Virginia, or playing Canadian schools. Most importantly it would help ensure a full 10 game schedule every season....a 9 game regular season schedule should NEVER happen
Old 03-22-18, 11:07 AM
All American

The Dock is on a distinguished road
I guess the question here is "does a guaranteed full schedule outweigh scheduling who you would like to play?" This seems to be most applicable, in particular, to Hartley and DeSales.

Hartley's schedule this year features the D5 state champs (Wheelersburg) and perennial power Clinton-Massie, in addition to D2 playoff participant Chillicothe and Stark County D1 N. Canton Hoover. Not entirely sure if Hartley would be willing to give that up.

Another question is "what does this mean for Bishop Ready?" Ready is hand-in-glove with the current arrangement with the Mid-State League, Ohio for football. Would they stay? I'm assuming that they're locked into the arrangement at current for the time being.
Old 03-22-18, 02:34 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dock View Post
I guess the question here is "does a guaranteed full schedule outweigh scheduling who you would like to play?" This seems to be most applicable, in particular, to Hartley and DeSales.

Hartley's schedule this year features the D5 state champs (Wheelersburg) and perennial power Clinton-Massie, in addition to D2 playoff participant Chillicothe and Stark County D1 N. Canton Hoover. Not entirely sure if Hartley would be willing to give that up.

Another question is "what does this mean for Bishop Ready?" Ready is hand-in-glove with the current arrangement with the Mid-State League, Ohio for football. Would they stay? I'm assuming that they're locked into the arrangement at current for the time being.
Wheelersrburg had a great run but not a traditional year after year power and aren't going to generate a lot of computer points and excitement over time. Clinton - Massie solid team would think with 2 OCC games at least every year you could keep them and a team like North Canton Hoover on the schedule every year. Chillicothe is really nothing special especially come Playoff time.
Old 03-22-18, 02:49 PM
All Ohio

It all depends on if they break it into 2 Leagues like the 1st time.

Was a Large / Small Division

Large was only 5 Teams : DeSales, Watterson, Dayton CJ, St Charles and Kettering Alter

So 5 OCC games to schedule, back then the City League has some tremendous Talent
and Solid Teams in Brookhaven, Beechcroft and Northland which DeSales played almost
every year and never left the North End for those Games.
Also during that 4 years of the League they played ASVSM , Logan , Dayton Dunbar, Hartley ( 1 year ) Trotwood Madison, Newark and a few others.
So it really didn't affect their OCC Scheduling .
Old 03-22-18, 06:26 PM
All District

TCSoup - You regard Wheelersburg as “not a traditional year after year power...”? Wheelersburg has
* 29 playoff appearances
* a 35-27 all time playoff record
* 2 state titles (1989, 2016)
* 7 state semi-final appearances.

I would venture to say the Pirates have no more than 5 losing seasons over the last 40+ years. I doubt if any of the GCL Coed or CCL schools would bring a bigger crowd to an away game than the Pirates, their following may be matched but not exceeded by any GCL Coed or CCL school. Finally, Wheelersburg as a Div V school who finishes with say 8-2 record would give any Div III school ample computer points...but you have to be able to beat them. If/when the Burg faithful see your post I am pretty sure you will hear from them.
Old 03-23-18, 09:04 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ-OSU-STEELERS View Post
TCSoup - You regard Wheelersburg as “not a traditional year after year power...”? Wheelersburg has
* 29 playoff appearances
* a 35-27 all time playoff record
* 2 state titles (1989, 2016)
* 7 state semi-final appearances.

I would venture to say the Pirates have no more than 5 losing seasons over the last 40+ years. I doubt if any of the GCL Coed or CCL schools would bring a bigger crowd to an away game than the Pirates, their following may be matched but not exceeded by any GCL Coed or CCL school. Finally, Wheelersburg as a Div V school who finishes with say 8-2 record would give any Div III school ample computer points...but you have to be able to beat them. If/when the Burg faithful see your post I am pretty sure you will hear from them.
Thank You for the warning....

My thought was a D5 Team year end year out isn't going to beat a Hartley
or DeSales . i know they thumped Watterson last year , but Watterson is no where near what they have been.
The reason the CCL actually merged with the GCL back in the day was over computer points... of course a lot less teams got in the playoffs back then.

i don't know how big of crowd Wheelersburg brings , but remember thinking
that when Clinton-Massie traveled up to DeSales in the middle of the States longest winning streak their side would be packed . It was to me a disappointing crowd.

DeSales played Ironton for years and they have a better pedigree than
Wheelersburg and rarely lost to them . Same with Newark Catholic who is what Top 5 in State Championships . They were in CCL for
awhile never ever beat Watterson or DeSales.

I guess we will see how they handle Hartley this year.

Wheelersburg has had a very impressive run especially the Last 5 Years.

Last edited by TCSoup; 03-23-18 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-23-18, 09:05 AM
All American

Ironton hasn't been a tough team since the Iraq War.
Old 03-23-18, 09:19 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Ironton hasn't been a tough team since the Iraq War.
They haven't been on the schedule since then.
Old 03-23-18, 09:20 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCSoup View Post
They haven't been on the schedule since then.
Touche'; although I think Hartley will get a lot out of playing the 'Burg. Wheelersburg did give them one hell of a game in Chillicothe a couple years ago.
Old 03-23-18, 10:13 AM
All Region

ReadyKnightsFan is on a distinguished road
Quote:

If I had to guess, I would say Ready is on the way out of the CCL. Currently they are on the second year of a two year "trial period" with the MSL. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them move. Simply put, the numbers aren't there yet to compete with DeSales, Hartley, Alter, etc.
Old 03-23-18, 11:04 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyKnightsFan View Post
If I had to guess, I would say Ready is on the way out of the CCL. Currently they are on the second year of a two year "trial period" with the MSL. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them move. Simply put, the numbers aren't there yet to compete with DeSales, Hartley, Alter, etc.
Is the long-term plan to play football in the MSL and all other sports in the CCL?
Old 03-23-18, 01:11 PM
All District

Regarding football, Ready can play with St Charles, CJ, Fenwick, Badin, McNick and Marian & RB if they were to stay. DeSales, Watterson, Hartley and Kettering Alter are just a bit too much. DeSales & Watterson have always been about twice the size of Ready. Hartley appears to simply be out-growing Ready over the last 5-10 years. The MSL-Ohio is a better fit for Ready football with schools the same size and very short distances.

TCSoup - DeSales faced Ironton from 2000-05 with DeSales going 4-2. Only 1 game was a blowout and the rest were competitive/close in final score:
2000 Ironton 28-21
2001 Ironton 20-10
2002 DeSales 21-14
2003 DeSales 40-0
2004 DeSales 17-14
2005 DeSales 24-16
Ironton was nearing the end of their HOF coach Bob Lutz run, I believe he has the most wins in Ohio High School football history. Ironton's games vs CAPE during the mid 80's were some of the best high school football games in the state. Losing their coach and the economic downturn of the Ironton/Portsmouth area have taken it's tool on the Tigers.

As for playing Newark Catholic, I don't recall if NC coach JD Graham was still coaching or not during their time in the CCL. NC was only in the CCL because of the breakup of their league. NC was a small Div V or VI school who were simply not the same program that won all of those state titles. Since 1991, NC has won only 1 title (2007). Some of this is due to the rise of the MAC schools (Marion Local, St Henry & Coldwater) but mostly it's due to enrollment #'s. Watterson & DeSales were Div II or III during NC's time in the CCL- they should have been beating NC. I'm pretty sure if DeSales & Watterson played NC and/or Ironton during the 80's the games would have been extremely competitive.

I'm pretty sure Wheelersburg will give Hartley all they can handle next season. They have a 6'5" wr that is coming back but I believe they lose their starting qb to graduation - the kid finished the state championship game on a broken ankle.
Should be a great game.
Old 03-23-18, 01:47 PM
All American

Jim France of Manchester (Summit County) has since passed Lutz for most all-time wins.
Old 03-27-18, 08:53 AM
All Region

Quote:
Is the long-term plan to play football in the MSL and all other sports in the CCL?
As far as I know. That is the only sport that Ready plays an MSL schedule in. Makes the most sense. Not to leave the only conference they've ever known, but to also provide some stability to the football program.
Old 03-27-18, 03:29 PM
All Ohio

Just a update I talked to a current position Coach at a CCL School a few nights ago
and he said he hadn't heard a word about this possible merger. But he also admitted
he wasn't a current Teacher and isn't around the school as much in the off season.
I will see a guy who son is a OC at another CCL School next week and ask him
if he has heard or if his son has heard any talk.
He's pretty in tune with his sons school and schedules.
Old 03-27-18, 03:33 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyKnightsFan View Post
As far as I know. That is the only sport that Ready plays an MSL schedule in. Makes the most sense. Not to leave the only conference they've ever known, but to also provide some stability to the football program.
Remembering back on the article Ready would after
a few years of getting their scheduled worked out was open to joining the MSL
on a permanent basis in Football.
Old 03-27-18, 10:15 PM
All American

sapientia et veritas is on a distinguished road
I talked with a head coach at a random and un-named CCL school on the east side of Columbus, and he likes OCC and GCL and Federal League. Just wants good opponents. This coming season is admittedly aggressive.

I talked with an assistant coach at a random and un-named CCL school on the east side of Columbus, and he thinks this year's schedule is absolute murder. He couldn't name a single east side player who attended Catholic feeder schools who attended any of the large east side schools known to "express interest" and tout "player development opportunities" to young lads not willing to cough up $9K in tuition. He'll play anybody who shows up and would probably spend the entire travel time to distant locales puzzling out how to execute a successful onside kick under the current rules in case Brad is crazy enough to call for one.

I talked with a former head coach at a random un-named soon to be former CCL school on the west side of Columbus who said without saying that he quit because the school leadership was either slightly dysfunctional or b4tsh1t crazy about sports (there was a lot of background noise so it might have been either) who thinks that the rest of the schools in the league ought to just kick out the Knights and be done with it.

I talked with a Deacon who owns a bus company based out of a location in Columbus fairly close to the two present football powers who would love to bid on the contract to haul kids to Dayton and/or Cincinnati every Friday night.

Actually. I just made all that up mostly.

This is a complete joke. The OCL isn't coming back. Alter is the only team in the GCL-Coed worth playing.
Old 03-28-18, 08:02 AM
All American

hdvhsmgr is on a distinguished road
It's just going to be a "schedule alliance" in football, and not a complete merger between the 2 conferences.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...ols/463142002/
Old 03-28-18, 08:34 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdvhsmgr View Post
It's just going to be a "schedule alliance" in football, and not a complete merger between the 2 conferences.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...ols/463142002/
Thanks for the article, I find it interesting that Ready was in attendance. While their numbers are smaller they could compete with Badin and a couple others should Ready decide against the MSL.
Old 03-29-18, 07:59 PM
Freshman

Hartley1 is on a distinguished road
I do not believe Ready was at the meeting... I do not think they will be a part of this according to Hartley coaches. This is something to help all schools with scheduling... which is difficult for everyone. I believe Burchfield is really involved in making this happen.
Old 03-30-18, 01:20 PM
All American

SouthwestOhioGuy17 is on a distinguished road
GCL Coed In Flux

A league in flux: GCL Coed exploring options with possible departures

https://www.journal-news.com/sports/...xs4hBFtm1cntM/

Purcell, Bacon principals explain their reasons for applying to the MVC

https://www.journal-news.com/sports/...AcTUgWD5iEzkK/
Old 04-16-18, 06:29 PM
All American

SouthwestOhioGuy17 is on a distinguished road
Miami Valley Conference will try to make expansion decision this week