Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Where do you like The OHSAA FOOTBALL FINALS
Canton Tom Benson Stadium 26 46.43%
Columbus The Ohio State University 25 44.64%
Dayton Welcome Stadium 3 5.36%
University of Akron InfoCision field 2 3.57%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-24-17, 08:17 PM
All District

fleadog101 is an unknown quantity at this point
OHSAA Title games

Could Akron or Dayton become part of the mix?

Last edited by fleadog101; 08-24-17 at 08:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-17, 08:36 PM
All American

StateChampion2012 is on a distinguished road
Can't stand the games in northeast Ohio. It was never fair that we had to travel 4 hours and the other team had to go barely an hour. Columbus is centrally located. Kids grow up in this state dreaming of playing at the horseshoe not at Tom Benson.
Old 08-24-17, 08:42 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by StateChampion2012 View Post
Can't stand the games in northeast Ohio. It was never fair that we had to travel 4 hours and the other team had to go barely an hour. Columbus is centrally located. Kids grow up in this state dreaming of playing at the horseshoe not at Tom Benson.
There is a group organizing out of Dayton not sure how far they will get with it
Old 08-24-17, 08:47 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleadog101 View Post
There is a group organizing out of Dayton not sure how far they will get with it
That would be nice but then northeast Ohio would then feel how I feel. My favorite place to watch a playoff game, excluding Ohio Stadium, is at Piqua. That would be cool but that'll never happen.
Old 08-24-17, 09:06 PM
All World

tom 48 will become famous soon enough
Here we go again. Same old topic, same old arguments. Hey, the season has started and we no longer need the fillers. Talk about the games.
Old 08-25-17, 04:48 AM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
I hope not.

The Shoe is an iconic venue known nationwide.

Massillon was the birthplace.

Canton...place of the NFL HoF.

Dayton and Akron?

Nah.

and I realize youll play where a title is but id rather them stick with what is current. Id prefer Ohio Stadium every year but will settle with the rotation to Canton.
Old 08-25-17, 06:54 AM
All Ohio

m14brian is on a distinguished road
why not rotate to 3-4 different locations every 2 years?
Old 08-25-17, 08:46 AM
All World

Spize is an unknown quantity at this point
With the attendance the last few years? Just pick any stadium in Ohio.

Honestly, the TV package is a bust and so are the 7 game ticket packages. Just do it like the rest of the playoffs and find a stadium somewhere near the middle of the two teams. Works for Texas.
Old 08-25-17, 09:05 AM
All American

Buckeye Elite is on a distinguished road
Ohio stadium is way too big
Old 08-25-17, 09:09 AM
All World

Spize is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Elite View Post
Ohio stadium is way too big
If you look at attendance figures, Benson may be as well.

People just don't care about these games anymore. Is it that it's high school or is it the private school advantage making it uninteresting.

David vs Goliath is only a story when David defeats Goliath. When Goliath curb-stomps David every year, it's not that interesting.
Old 08-25-17, 09:12 AM
All American

Spartan0505 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spize View Post

People just don't care about these games anymore. Is it that it's high school or is it the private school advantage making it uninteresting.

David vs Goliath is only a story when David defeats Goliath. When Goliath curb-stomps David every year, it's not that interesting.

Yes attendance is down. So it makes it look 1000x worse in a 100k+ seat stadium vs a 23,000 seat stadium.
Old 08-25-17, 09:22 AM
All Region

Rangerfan is on a distinguished road
The games are in December. When there is no indoor stadium, put them as far south as possible.
Old 08-25-17, 10:21 AM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Considering HS attendance is down across the state, I'd assume the former as opposed to the latter.

As for this discussion, I'm one of the few SWO guys who actually prefer Canton to Columbus. The Shoe is just too big IMO. With the remodel in Canton, that's probably bigger than needed also, but it looks really nice.
Old 08-25-17, 10:56 AM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
massillon at least has a roof on one side

for december games in ohio, that might be the best of all 3
Old 08-25-17, 11:08 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
As they say for football the best seat in the house is in your house; TV and December dates are killing the attendance not bad match ups or private school dominance. If it was up to me I would eliminate a Division or two, go back to the top 4 per Region, and have the finals spread out over the Thanksgiving weekend so people have the 4 day weekend to travel to the games. But the big key is I would then have maybe an hour or two delay in the TV feed so that neutral fans that want to see the game will just ignore social media for a couple hours and then pick it up but this would force fans of the teams to show up to the games if they want to watch what is going on in real time.
Old 08-25-17, 12:02 PM
All Yappi

BlessEmAll is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BlessEmAll
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
I hope not.

The Shoe is an iconic venue known nationwide.

Massillon was the birthplace.

Canton...place of the NFL HoF.

Dayton and Akron?

Nah.

and I realize youll play where a title is but id rather them stick with what is current. Id prefer Ohio Stadium every year but will settle with the rotation to Canton.
Check out the history of the Dayton Triangles. The first football gam was played in New Jersey between Rutgers and New Jersey. Football wasn't birthed in Massillon. Massillon and Canton were two very early "Pro" teams. Along with the Carlisle Indians.
Actually, the innovator of the forward pass in the NFL was from West Milton, Oh and his name was Carl Brumbaugh. Played with Red Grange and Bronko Nagurski on the Chicago Bears.
Ohio has deep history. That's why the HOF is in Canton.
I'm for rotating the cities
Old 08-25-17, 12:08 PM
All American

4cards will become famous soon enough
...they need to pick a central location for these games and play them over (2) days. WPIAL plays 4 games in one day and 3 the other, so Ohio can't say it doesn't work. Michigan lets their fans in for one all day price, but the OHSAA is greedy and the attendance reflects it.
The delay in showing the games is a good idea as long as MOST of the state can watch it instead of 15% like last year.
Old 08-25-17, 12:20 PM
All American

FremontKeith is on a distinguished road
Akron? Dayton? Why not Cincinnati or Toledo? I voted for Canton. My opinion is that Ohio Stadium is just too big.
Old 08-27-17, 05:56 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
As they say for football the best seat in the house is in your house; TV and December dates are killing the attendance not bad match ups or private school dominance. If it was up to me I would eliminate a Division or two, go back to the top 4 per Region, and have the finals spread out over the Thanksgiving weekend so people have the 4 day weekend to travel to the games. But the big key is I would then have maybe an hour or two delay in the TV feed so that neutral fans that want to see the game will just ignore social media for a couple hours and then pick it up but this would force fans of the teams to show up to the games if they want to watch what is going on in real time.
I think that a pay per view single game or package bundle, I feel that in some respect that live tv does hurt the amount of people at the stadium.
Old 08-27-17, 09:13 PM
All American

Pope Francis 1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FremontKeith View Post
Akron? Dayton? Why not Cincinnati or Toledo? I voted for Canton. My opinion is that Ohio Stadium is just too big.
Nippert Stadium (Univ. of Cincy) is a great venue which holds about 40,000. We've had many playoff games there with 20,000+ in attendance.
Old 08-27-17, 09:37 PM
All Region

Cali_Eagle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
With the attendance the last few years? Just pick any stadium in Ohio.

Honestly, the TV package is a bust and so are the 7 game ticket packages. Just do it like the rest of the playoffs and find a stadium somewhere near the middle of the two teams. Works for Texas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post

These two posts are the best 2 on this thread so far.

TG used to be a big weekend of special games in Ohio HS football, rivalry games, Akron City Series Title game... be nice to bring some of that aura/feeling back.

I like the idea of rotating the games around the State also, if there are parties interested holding the games in their metro area like Dayton apparently is.
Old 08-27-17, 09:40 PM
All Ohio

peebles is on a distinguished road
Akron or Canton because I live close to both. If I lived close to Columbus I would want them there. A domed stadium would be nice too (dream on!).
Old 08-27-17, 10:28 PM
All American

If your argument is Ohio Stadium is too big, then why not Mapfre?
Old 08-27-17, 11:42 PM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by StateChampion2012 View Post
If your argument is Ohio Stadium is too big, then why not Mapfre?
Grass field. Would never hold up to 7 games in December.
Old 08-28-17, 12:17 AM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
There's three 'main' things you notice about states and where they host their championship games.

In descending order:

#1 Domed Stadium
#2 NFL or NCAA stadium
#3 Centrally located
#4 West Virginia Does It's Own Thing

If a state has a domed football stadium, they're playing it in a dome.

Washington (Tacoma Dome)
Arizona (at least one is always at U of Phoenix)
Idaho (Kibbie Dome and Holt Arena always host some of the games)
Texas (AT&T Stadium, NRG Stadium, or even Alamodome)
South Dakota (Dakota Dome)
North Dakota (Fargo Dome or Alerus Center)
Minnesota (US Bank Stadium)
Iowa (UNI-Dome)
Missouri (when Edward Jones Dome still hosted football)
Louisiana (Superdome)
Georgia (Georgia Dome and now the new Mercedes-Benz Stadium)
Indiana (Lucas Oil Stadium and previous the RCA Dome)
Michigan (Ford Field and previous the Silverdome)
New York (Carrier Dome)

Some aren't geographically efficient for travel, some are in the major population centers of the state, etc. Not all games are hosted there. Idaho and Arizona only have SOME of the games at the domed stadiums. Idaho depends on who is in them (they can play at 3 or 4 different sites, one being Albertsons Stadium in Boise, which qualifies as #2). Arizona has played games at the Walkup Skydome for smaller schools in Flagstaff, but the smaller schools now play in suburban Phoenix at HS stadiums while the big 5A or 4A games are at the U of Phoenix Stadium.

Next on the list, major NFL or NCAA stadiums:

Oregon (has played off and on at Eugene or Corvallis for largest schools, right now playing at Providence Park, home of the Portland Timbers and Portland State)
California (5 of the now 19 titles are played at Sacramento State)
Nevada (Sam Boyd Stadium is regular host of some games, also U of Nevada in Reno has in the past)
Utah (All semifinals and championships at Rice-Eccles in Salt Lake City)
Idaho (as mentioned, Albertson Stadium in Boise, home of Boise State hosts games)
Wyoming (at U of Wyoming in Laramie)
Oklahoma (formerly played at Stillwater, but now moves around it seems, some games at Tulsa)
Nebraska (all games at Memorial Stadium in Lincoln)
Wisconsin (all games at Camp Randall Stadium in Madison)
Missouri (all games now at Missouri State in Springfield)
Arkansas (all games at War Memorial Stadium in Little Rock -- UA plays games here sometimes)
Tennessee (played at Tennessee Tech in Cookeville, formerly at Middle Tennessee State)
Kentucky (formerly WKU now at UK starting in 2017)
New Jersey (games played at MetLife Stadium, Rutgers, Kean U, and Rowan U)
Massachusetts (all six games now played at Gillette Stadium)
Maine (bigger school games held at U of Maine)
New Hampshire (games held at UNH)
Maryland (games now held at Naval Academy, formerly at M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore)
Virginia (split between three sites: Salem, William & Mary, and Hampton)
North Carolina (split between three sites: UNC, NC State, and Wake Forest)
South Carolina (split between USC and Benedict College, both in Columbia)
Florida (held currently at Camping World Stadium, formerly called the Citrus Bowl)
Delaware (held at Delaware Stadium at UD in Newark)
Colorado (largest games held at Mile High)

Three states rotate between major venues:

Illinois (rotates between U of Illinois and NIU because Big Ten football now interferes with the Thanksgiving Weekend of the championships, so every other year the games are held at NIU in DeKalb)
Mississippi (formerly hosted at Jackson, the games now alternate between Ole Miss and Mississippi State)
Alabama (formerly at Legion Field, the games now alternate between Tuscaloosa and Auburn. The team NOT hosting the Iron Bowl hosts the state titles. The games also are played on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday to avoid competing against the Iron Bowl game)

Geographically center:
Vermont (held at Rutland High School)
Rhode Island (held at Cranston Stadium in Cranston just south of Providence)
Pennsylvania (held at Hersheypark Stadium in Hershey, more population center than geographic)

West Virgnia does what it wants:
West Virginia holds their title games at Wheeling Island Stadium, which is a 10,000 seat high school stadium in the northern panhandle, which requires MOST teams to travel through other states to get there. Only a handful of teams access Wheeling via West Virginia roads. I-77 to I-70 from the southwest, I-79 to I-70 from the south, and US522 to I-70 from the far east is the most expected route. Despite U of Charleston being near dead center, bigger, and accessible to everyone. But, two things, their lights were insufficient apparently, and they just don't have a desire to host anymore. And WVU's stadium in Morgantown is just never really considered an option.

There are a few states not named.

Montana, New Mexico and Connecticut keep with the old tradition of letting the higher seed host the game.

Kansas hosts each championship at a different, pre-determined location at various colleges around the state. Those being Fort Hayes State, Emporia State, Pittsburg State, and Hutchinson CC. The others are held at high schools in Topeka, Salina, and Newton. All games are held the same day. Only the 8-Man games at Newton are held as a doubleheader. Rest are single games.

A lot of states have different site locations for smaller schools. Nevada, California, Arizona, Oregon, and Colorado. California has the New Jersey problem of too many games, Nevada has a geography problem with hosting all at one site (though Wyoming does too but they don't are, they formerly hosted at the higher seed). Colorado and Arizona face the problem of the major stadium being grass, and limiting it to just a couple games while the smaller schools compete at HS venues mostly. Oregon is the one strange one. A rotation between Eugene and Corvallis would make the most sense, but instead the biggest games are in Portland (that makes sense), but the smaller ones are held in Hillsboro.

Compared to Ohio, major stadiums abound in the Buckeye State, so the major stadium could be anywhere from Youngstown, Akron, Canton, Cleveland, Toledo, Oxford, Cincinnati, Columbus, or Athens. Geographically centered would Columbus.

Without a dome in the state (why hasn't one college built one?), finding the best major stadium that can host the games and the weekend as a whole makes the most sense.

And that's not Dayton. I'd rather see Nippert or the Glass Bowl host before Welcome Stadium.