Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-24-18, 06:46 AM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
2. Are we talking about the Eensie Weensie Spider, complete with walking finger movements?
Your original guess, Boris the Spider (The Who), gets my vote too, Diva (along with Blackhawk's).

Let's all speak TRUTH TO POWER. ATTICA!!!! ATTICA!!!

Or not.
Old 09-24-18, 07:33 AM
All American

Bevo is on a distinguished road
CALM DOWN - I am not running for Supreme Court justice!

2. Diva - Ittsy Bittsy Ennie, Weenie both sound good to me - finger movements required. Yours also, used by Rocket J. Squirrel and Bullwinkle with Ittsty, Bittsy, Tennie, Weenie, Chilie Beanie - the spirits are about to speak

20. Monclova is correct with the very musical and fun sounding Octopus' Garden.

OWK and other hoopsters - little early but today is Bevo Francis' 86th birthday. Born on this date in 1932. Bevo, who hit Ashland with 113 and averaged 44 per - still a record.
Old 09-24-18, 08:19 AM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
#18...

then - of course you have...

which leads you to the 'Old Ranger' followed by future POTUS Reagan... (Borax)

Death Valley Days...

:>---

SALT
Old 09-24-18, 08:30 AM
All Yappi

#28...

Thanksgiving is coming with a bale of bedding...???

SALT
Old 09-24-18, 08:52 AM
All American

The birthday marine is all over the Americana stuff this morning with:

18. Mule Train by Frankie lane and

28. Turkey In The Straw

Leaves: 4, 5, 9, 10, 14, 23, 25, and 26
Old 09-24-18, 09:35 AM
All World

One Who Knows is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
OWK and other hoopsters - little early but today is Bevo Francis' 86th birthday. Born on this date in 1932. Bevo, who hit Ashland with 113 and averaged 44 per - still a record.
Bevo - Thanks for the heads-up about Bevo Francis' 86th birthday. Here's a video of the Hall of Famer:

ROCK ON!
Old 09-24-18, 09:57 AM
All American

FootballFan1795 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Bevo – After finding the Look magazine article about Upper Sandusky’s all-night prom, you wondered where Superintendent Charlie Davis played pro football (as was mentioned in the article). While researching the answer (which I must admit I couldn’t find), I discovered that Charlie eventually left Upper Sandusky to become President at Rio Grande College (now University of Rio Grande), from 1954 to 1962. Seeing the name of the college also jogged my memory regarding Bevo Francis setting this amazing record in 1954, for Rio Grande College. Got me wondering if he was the inspiration for your username (you probably already explained, but I’m late to the party)?
Old 09-24-18, 09:59 AM
All American

And, here are my guesses:

4. “Little Red Rooster” – The Rolling Stones

5. “Too Much Monkey Business” – Chuck Berry/The Beatles

10. “Horse Latitudes” – The Doors

25. “Hey Bulldog” – The Beatles
Old 09-24-18, 12:43 PM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Leaves: 4, 5, 9, 10, 14, 23, 25, and 26
I'll stab my fork at a few leftovers:

4. "Beast of Burden" - LOL, I think FF1795 has the better answer, though.

23. "Spiders and Snakes"

24. I saw Diva answer with Herb Alpert, but I didn't see an animals reference? Just in case, I'll go with "The Lonely Bull".
Old 09-24-18, 02:13 PM
All Yappi

#9...
Quote:
9. He wrote it for one of my first loves - Annette. Sadly, the lady has passed on but never to be forgotten.
Loved those beach bathing suits! Moon Doggie was hanging ten, alright. (sorry)

FWIW...
Moondoggie (Jeffrey Matthews) was a Gidget character played by James Darren,
He was the one constant in the Gidget film series. This film released
in 1959 spurred the beach-film-surf.
Darren as a Greek anti-Nazi fighter gets killed in the film The Guns of Navarone.
He also starred in a film The Lively Set which features rare footage of the Chrysler Turbine Car.
On TV he was part of the regular cast in The Time Tunnel.

SALT
Old 09-24-18, 03:04 PM
All American

Been out all day...playing catch up and I hear Nicole Wallace whispering my name for our 4:00 appt.

footballfan1795 - you are quite the sleuth! Even more interesting was who the basketball coach was at Upper in the late 40's. It was none other that Newt Oliver WHO then became Bevo's coach at Rio AND took along with him from Upper a player by the name of Ray Moses. (Played with the Bev at Rio and was very good). He held Upper Sandusky's single game scoring record of 38 or 40 until John Diebler came to town and broke every record in Ohio. Jon, as any Ohio hoopster knows, went over the 3,000 point mark and is the all-time leader in Ohio. John broke the single game record many times with numerous 40, 50, and 60 point games. His 77 against Tiffin Columbian included hitting 27-28 foul shots. Got him Faces In The Crowd. And, John was a fine Big Ten player at OSU and is now a star in the Upper Level Euro league.

I could go on... .Diva's daughter dated John's brother, Jake, and he played D I ball at Valpo. Upper was D II state champs Jake's sr. and Joh's soph. year. Upper was runner up Jiohn's Dr. season and he scored 48 in the final - eclipsed over the years by only Lucas and Kellogg

The circus came to Upper Sandusky once and stayed three years... .

The "Bevo" name for me was a tribute for my daughter who was an excellent player at Upper, was all league three years, and a great three point and foul shooter. Conceit - yes!

But how about the Upper Sandusky/Rio Grande connections? Many!

Back with an update soon.

BlackHawk - I will have to admit that no one and I predict no one in the future had or has ever ask me about my close encounter with the Amazing one - Kreskin.

For the younger set, who in time will probably replace the older set, Kreskin was a mentalist with old fashioned black rim glasses , and a pretty decent stage patter and presence. Carson had him on many times. He would figure things out about people. he had a standing bit for his performances where his check would be hidden in the auditorium and he had to find it to be paid. Lore, says he was unsuccessful twice.

Anyway, at this time -70-71 very immature (I took my girlfriend to Big Time Wrestling all of the time; way before Wrestle Mania) (yet another topic that is very esoteric and should probably be ignored on here). My other cultural highlights included seeing and smelling the dope at a George Carlin concert at BGSU and seeing Kreskin.

About five of us went - including the first Mrs. Bevo - (maybe this kind of night out creatd teh likelihood that there would be a "first". the Palce Theater was sold out. When The Amazing Kreskin asked for voulunteers I was ready to go. One of my friends went up also. (He enjoyed himself much more at the Carlin show?!).

It was old-timey schstick. He "hypnotized" us and we shook our arms and acted like chickens, etc. Funny, the compulsion was to do what he wanted.

One of the reason I miss Johnny so much is no Kreskin!

Last edited by Bevo; 09-24-18 at 04:31 PM.
Old 09-24-18, 03:57 PM
All American

Quote:
footballfan1795 - you are quite the sleuth! Even more interesting was who the basketball coach was at Upper in the late 40's. It was none other that Newt Oliver WHO then became Bevo's coach at Rio AND took along with him from Upper a player by the name of Ray Moses. (Played with the Bev at Rio and was very good). He held Upper Sandusky's single game scoring record of 38 or 40 until John Diebler came to town and broke every record in Ohio. Jon, as any Ohio hoopster knows, went over the 3,000 point mark and is the all-time leader in Ohio. John broke the single game record many times with numerous 40, 50, and 60 point games. His 77 against Tiffin Columbian included hitting 27-28 foul shots. Got him Faces In The Crowd. And, John was a fine Big Ten player at OSU and is now a star in the Upper Level Euro league.

I could go on... .Diva's daughter dated John's brother, Jake, and he played D I ball at Valpo. Upper was D II state champs Jake's sr. and Joh's soph. year. Upper was runner up Jiohn's Dr. season and he scored 48 in the final - eclipsed over the years by only Lucas and Kellogg

The circus came to Upper Sandusky once and stayed three years... .

The "Bevo" name for me was a tribute for my daughter who was an excellent player at Upper, was all league three years, and a great three point and foul shooter. Conceit - yes!

But how about the Upper Sandusky/Rio Grande connections? Many!
Perhaps it's because I'm also one of those 'cusp people' whom ohiopup described earlier. Maybe that explains what's wrong with me, LOL!

EDIT: Just looked it up, and I was born on a Monday, so I guess that also makes me 'fair of face' (according to ohiopup's rhyme).

Anyways, thanks for sharing the story of your daughter and name choice!

Last edited by FootballFan1795; 09-24-18 at 04:14 PM.
Old 09-24-18, 04:00 PM
All American

Johnstown Benny is on a distinguished road
14. Free As A Bird Beatles

JB
Old 09-24-18, 04:46 PM
All American

Ok footballfan is knocking some homers here!

4. Little Red rooster - The Rolling Stones. I did not like all of the Stones' covers. But, what a band!!!

5. Too Much Monkey Business by Chuck Berry and The Beatles. I can hear it now.

10. Horse Latitudes by The Doors. That is beyond way out in left field. Pretty good band with a very distinct sound. Loved My Eyes Have Seen You, Love Me Two Times, Riders On The Storm and Strange Days. Light My Fire became sort of like Hey Jude - too much!

25. You can talk to me. You can talk to me. If you're lonely you can talk to me. Hey Bulldog is correct by The Beatles.

23. Zunardo - Big bullseye for Spiders and Snakes by the talented and somewhat goofy Jim Stafford. Ray Stevens, anyone?

ohiopup - not quite. solo artist. Was a hit again for Donny Osmond 12 years later.
Old 09-24-18, 04:51 PM
All American

JBeeus! I just started to type you up. Tardy but right as usual on 14. Free As A Bird. Beatles, connected to the release of their Anthology series.

9. Is actually pretty easy. The girlies liked the song and the singer (and Donny's version).

26. I know that JB and OWK know this one.

We were in Nashville a few years ago and were told this performer was known to take a few pops. NO! Who and what was the animal?

Zurnado - drops a dime on Diva with the Herb Alpert title The Lonely Bull.

Really, a good run here today.

9 and 26.

Pup?
Old 09-24-18, 05:05 PM
All American

Please watch the one minute film of Bevo Francis. Great big thanks to OWK for bringing that to us.
As Rio Grande played a total road schedule to collect larger gates and save the college from bankruptcy, I believe I read somewhere that the total enrollement was approx. 100 students.

There's a great movie here for someone to make!

For those wondering about the pros and Bevo, I believe he was drafted and may have played a season or two with The Globetrotters. He missed home and returned to working in the mills (I believe) and spent his time hunting and just living.

The former Upper and Rio coach, Newt Oliver, was a hustler and I don't believe Bevo appreciated the slickness of his coach.
Old 09-24-18, 06:07 PM
All American

9 and 26 remain and will be announced by 9:30.
Old 09-24-18, 06:24 PM
All Region

Diva is on a distinguished road
Ok 9 has to be Puppy Love.

And yes I did neglect to name The Lonely Bull, my favorite song on the album.
Old 09-24-18, 07:27 PM
All American

Yes Diva, it is Puppy Love for 9.

26. Lil' Tater stayed famous for one song and for being called Lil Tater by this very famous but tragic country and Western star. I believe the namer was killed in Northwest Ohio. could be wrong.

Diva - I stand sadly corrected on the downtown store fronts being painted with halloween pictures. There were not; it was all strictly Beat Buckeye Central and homecoming stuff. I miss that kind of stuff!
Old 09-24-18, 08:30 PM
All American

Close enough...number 26 is Lil' Jimmy Dickens with May The Bird Of Paradise Fly Up Your Nose. The song reached number fifteeen on the pop charts and number one on the country charts in 1965.

Dickens did a song called Take An Old Cold Tater. Hank Williams then started calling him tater and as nicknames often do, more description was added (Dickens was 4'11") and he became Lil' Tater.

Hank Williams did die in Northwest Ohio enroute to a show in Canton. He was 30.

Real good job on the Quiz!

More later on what I will call Come On Feet - Start Dancing. For now, I will quit hogging the stage and let the rest of the folks do their thing.

Last edited by Bevo; 09-25-18 at 05:44 AM.
Old 09-24-18, 08:36 PM
All Region

We're just the back up singers. No problem.
Old 09-25-18, 12:08 AM
All American

Johnstown Benny is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Please watch the one minute film of Bevo Francis. Great big thanks to OWK for bringing that to us.
As Rio Grande played a total road schedule to collect larger gates and save the college from bankruptcy, I believe I read somewhere that the total enrollement was approx. 100 students.

There's a great movie here for someone to make!

For those wondering about the pros and Bevo, I believe he was drafted and may have played a season or two with The Globetrotters. He missed home and returned to working in the mills (I believe) and spent his time hunting and just living.

The former Upper and Rio coach, Newt Oliver, was a hustler and I don't believe Bevo appreciated the slickness of his coach.

Bevo,

If you haven't already done so, you should read the book, "Shooting Star" The Bevo Francis Story by Kyle Keiderling. The forward to the book is by George Steinbrenner. Very interesting book on the legend from Rio Grande.

On a local note, the legendary retired winningest boys HS basketball coach in Ohio, Dick Kortokrax who played at Anderson College in Indiana once faced Bevo back in the 1953-54 season and Coach K was quoted as saying that he and another post player managed to "hold" Bevo to 59 points as Anderson lost 101-85 on a cold winters night in February of 1954.

JB
Old 09-25-18, 08:03 AM
All Yappi

#5-of-20

#5-of-20

100 ~ Best Selling Albums Of The 1970's

Recently picked up this book...

It looks like I have some hunting to do...
Titles in bold = I need to acquire

=====

080 ~ Sweet Baby James : James Taylor

=====

079 ~ Pearl: Janice Joplin

Janis Joplin's "Mercedes Benz" was recorded just two days before her death.

=====

078 ~ Teaser And The Firecat : Cat Stevens

note: In 2008, a "deluxe edition" was released featuring a second disc of demos and live
recordings.

=====

077 ~ Goats Head Soup : The Rolling Stones

=====

076 ~ Back Home Again : John Denver

John...

OR

The Village Girls...

=====

MOS = Military Occupational Specialty
an 0311 is a 'rifleman'

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle!"
Gen. John J. Pershing

SF

Last edited by ohiopup; 09-25-18 at 08:48 AM. Reason: 448054
Old 09-25-18, 08:51 AM
All Yappi

My answer on #9...
just goes to show you - I'm not as smart as some people think I am...
I've been wrong before (not often) and I'm sure I'll be in error again...
(not often)

SF
Old 09-25-18, 01:41 PM
All Yappi

Just for fun...

10 China imports (no tariffs)...

Find the missing dog!

MOS 4091

SF
Old 09-25-18, 07:35 PM
All World

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Great song by the Village Girls, op. Here are a few others on One Hit Wonder Day:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

iirc, Bevo had a quiz on OHWs not too, too long ago.
Old 09-25-18, 08:00 PM
All American

JB is the wizard on One Hit Wonders... and most other things. OWK is an expert on hoops and babes - not always in that order.

And Diva is incorrect, OWK is the leader of the band. Pretty hard to keep a handful of folks chatting for almost 20 years.

Last edited by Bevo; 09-25-18 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-26-18, 08:28 AM
All Yappi

#6-of-20

#6-of-20

100 ~ Best Selling Albums Of The 1970's

Recently picked up this book...

It looks like I have some hunting to do...
Titles in bold = I need to acquire

=====

075 ~ Captain Fantastic And The Brown Dirt Cowboy : Elton John

note: later reissues of this album on CD contained additional tracks.

=====

074 ~ One More From The Road: Lynyrd Skynyrd
Double LP (2 records)

=====

073 ~ Tubular Bells: Mike Oldfield
Comprised of two mostly instrumental compositions of over twenty minutes each.
An exerpt was used in the film The Exorcist (1973) ...

=====

072 ~ Tea For The Tillerman : Cat Stevens

=====

071 ~ Aqualung : Jethro Tull

=====

MOS = Military Occupational Specialty
an 4091 is a 'Code analyst' first used in the late 1960's / pioneered the
encryption of computer transmission of communications via 'telex' this MOS
has been reassigned to a new number out of the '40' range.

Gen. John J. Pershing

SF
Old 09-27-18, 02:22 PM
All Yappi

September 27...

Events:

1903: The Wreck of the Old 97, an American rail disaster that became the subject of a popular ballad.
The Southern Railway mail train, officially known as the Fast Mail, while en
route; due to excessive speed trying to maintain schedule, derailed on a curved
trestle near Danville, Virginia, going over the side, killing eleven on-board and
injuring seven others.

The Ballad...

^
+--- If the tune sounds familiar... here's why...
V

~~~

1941: WW-II; The SS Patrick Henry is launched, 1st of more than 2,700 Liberty ships.

1944:WW-II; The Kassel Mission results in the largest loss by a USAAF group on any mission in World War II.
Dispatched: 283 B-24 Liberator bombers of the 2nd Combat Bombardment Wing and,
escorts... 198 P-51 Mustang fighters.
Kassel was the site of German factorys that made the "Tiger" and "Panther" tanks.
http://www.kasselmission.org/

~~~
1962: Rachel Carson's book Silent Spring is published, inspiring an environmental
movement and the creation of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

=====

Birthdays...

ALIVE:

~~

Wilford Brimley: Actoris 84 today
films = "The China Syndrome"/ "The Natural" / "Cocoon' / "The Firm"

~~~

Randy Bachman: Musician... is 75 today
Original member of "The Guess Who", later formed BTO - Bachman-Turner Overdrive

~~~

Meat Loaf: Musician... is 71 today
nee - Marvin Lee Aday

~~~

=====

DEAD

Jane Meadows: Actress... would have been 99 (d@ 95 - 2015)
Panelist on TV game show "I've Got a Secret" for many years; Wife (46 yrs) of TV's
Steve Allen (The Tonight Show / 1st host) also elder sister of actress Audrey Meadows.

~~~

William Conrad Actor... would have been 98 (d@ 73 - 1994)
noted role - Frank Cannon on the TV show "Cannon" /
narrator on the TV series "The Fugitive" and "The Adventures of Bullwinkle and Rocky"
Radio voice of Marshall Matt Dillon "Gunsmoke" (1952–1961)

A gift from Jack L. Warner (Warner Bros.) Conrad received one of the two
lead-metal falcon statues used in the classic film The Maltese Falcon (1941).

asCannon...

~~~

Carl Ballantine: Actora/Magician/Comedian...would have been 101 (d@ 92 - 2009)
notable role Lester Gruber TV series "McHale's Navy"

~~~

Will Sampson: Actor... would have been 85 (d@ 53 - 1987)
roles: Chief Bromden in the movie "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest"
Ten Bears in "The Outlaw Josey Wales"

Will busts out...

yes...that's "Back to the Future' Doc Brown (Christopher Lloyd) in the scene

~~~
Greg Morris: Actor... would have been 85 (d@ 62 - 1996)
A Clevelander / known as gadget genius Barney Collier on the TV series "Mission: Impossible"

~~~

Don Cornelius: Host... would have been 82 (d@ 75 - 2012)
Creator and host of the long-running TV music show, "Soul Train"

~~~

====

died on this date...
@ 60 Clara Bow - Actress
@ 77 Robert Montgomery - Actor
@ 83 Lloyd Nolan - Actor
@ 24 Cliff Burton - bass guitarist / band "Metallica"
@ 96 Gen. James "Jimmy" Doolittle - USAF (Doolittle's Raiders - B-25s)
@ 71 Doak Walker - Football / Heisman Trophy / member HOF - College & Pro
@ 78 Donald O'Connor - Actor/Dancer
@ 83 George Blanda - Football / player-Coach (Pro HOF)
@ 95 Herbert Lom - Actor (FR. Police Commissioner Charles Dreyfus - Pink Panther series)
@ 94 Anne Jeffreys - Actress (Tress Truehart in Dick Tracy series)
@ 91 Hugh Hefner - Publishing (Playboy)

====

That's-All-Folks

Gen. John J. Pershing

SF
Old 09-29-18, 03:32 PM
All Region

I didn't know who the narrator was for Rocky and z Bullwinkle. Interesting, ohiopup.

Bevo, are you watching the game tonight? We bought an antenna specifically to be able to receive other channels, but all we got were 3 PBS stations.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: