Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-25-18, 02:01 PM
All World

WinstonSmith has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Seed vs Sod

Anyone have experience planting new grass for an entire yard? My front/side yards are getting sod laid and the current plan is to have the backyard just seeded. I've had an all-dirt yard for 2 months and am pretty ready to have grass to use. I'm leaning toward paying extra for sod in the back yard as well, I really don't want to go this whole summer without a fully grown lawn in the back yard. Any insight would help.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-18, 02:04 PM
All American

Username1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
Anyone have experience planting new grass for an entire yard? My front/side yards are getting sod laid and the current plan is to have the backyard just seeded. I've had an all-dirt yard for 2 months and am pretty ready to have grass to use. I'm leaning toward paying extra for sod in the back yard as well, I really don't want to go this whole summer without a fully grown lawn in the back yard. Any insight would help.
If it's in your budget sod the back also. Grass seeds get blended with other seeds, you may end up with two different grasses.
Old 04-25-18, 02:06 PM
All American

Did you build a new home?
Old 04-25-18, 02:08 PM
All World

Yes. I'm definitely leaning the way of sod. The only reason I'd regret it is if by the end of June my neighbors who seeded have a full, thick lawn, but I don't think that will be the case. Not 100% sure though, that's why I'm asking.
Old 04-25-18, 02:14 PM
All American

Depends on temps if grass will grow good. You have about 6 weeks left of good grass growing weather. The best time to plant would be November.
Old 04-25-18, 02:15 PM
All American

Even if your neighbors do have a full lawn by the end of summer, you will get to enjoy yours all spring and summer.
Old 04-25-18, 02:16 PM
All World

How long does it normally take with seed before you have a full, thick lawn?
Old 04-25-18, 02:20 PM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
From my very limited experience it takes over a year for grass to grow in completely. I replaced a ~150 ft drainage pipe last June and the new grass is still noticeable compared to the rest of the lawn. Go with the sod
Old 04-25-18, 02:22 PM
All World

Ok, I was thinking the same Sig. Was thinking 1-2 years before it's fully grown.
All American

Quote:
How long does it normally take with seed before you have a full, thick lawn?
It takes anywhere from a week to a month just for the seeds to germinate and that depends on temps. Then another 30 days give or take to teach full growth.

Do you got good soil or is it what the builder just pushed around? If he didn't bring in good dirt then I would be leaning towards sod for sure. If he did spread topsoil then you still got time with seed. Just be willing to water it a lot.

Edit. 30 days until you cut the grass. But a lot longer until it's hardy.
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig Hansen View Post
From my very limited experience it takes over a year for grass to grow in completely. I replaced a ~150 ft drainage pipe last June and the new grass is still noticeable compared to the rest of the lawn. Go with the sod
And thatís only if you nurse it really well.
Old 04-25-18, 02:23 PM
All Yappi

TylerDurden is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Same here. Replaced a couple hundred feet of pipe and you can still see where my yard was dug up. Also, had the issue Ted mentioned. The contractor I hired must have used some crappy seed and ended up with a bunch of weeds I had to pull.
Old 04-25-18, 02:24 PM
All American

Quote:
It's hard to grow grass in the summer.
Old 04-25-18, 02:28 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
It's hard to grow grass in the summer.
Yeah, I put plenty of straw down and watered it two or three times a week and it still doesn't look great. It's not noticeable from the street so I don't really care.
Old 04-25-18, 02:29 PM
All World

They don't put any good topsoil down, it's just the crap pushed around from the construction. I'd have to do that myself which I don't plan on. Thanks for the input, guys.
Old 04-25-18, 06:18 PM
All World

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Didnt you work for Motz? Id ask those dudes

Id go with sod.
Old 04-25-18, 06:19 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
They don't put any good topsoil down, it's just the crap pushed around from the construction. I'd have to do that myself which I don't plan on. Thanks for the input, guys.
If you just put sod on top of that same poor soil, you'll soon have problems, too. Not much soil really comes in a roll of sod.

There is a lot of clay soil around here. It gets spread around to grade after the foundation is dug, kills trees by suffocating their roots and doesn't really support sod much longer than it would grass seed. Sod ends up being like hydroponics, addicted to the lawn service guy, dethatching and aerating, all that crap. The idea that soil prep isn't needed for sod just gets you past the guarantee.

Maybe your soil is okay, but I'd get it tested. Maybe you spend 25% more now having someone till lime or peat or something into what's there already, but you don't want to be disappointed in 3 or 4 years.

I had soil tested for free by OSU's Cooperative Extension Service, but I think that free stuff died out when Kasich tightened the belt. It can't cost too much - https://extension.osu.edu/lao#county Someone near wherever you are can tell you better than I can.
Old 04-25-18, 06:26 PM
All World

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
Hydro seed is the best option if you water it very well.
Old 04-25-18, 06:34 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyTrojan05 View Post
Hydro seed is the best option if you water it very well.
That's where they spray the green gluey mulch and seed all at once, right ? Like Ted kind of said, it's only as good as the seed they mix in it, I'd guess.
Old 04-25-18, 06:36 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
That's where they spray the green gluey mulch and seed all at once, right ? Like Ted kind of said, it's only as good as the seed they mix in it, I'd guess.
Man we seeded a pasture with that stuff and watered it all the time and it worked well. It is full and thick two years later

Not sure what seed they used but I know he wouldnt have used a cheap seed
Old 04-25-18, 06:39 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
Man we seeded a pasture with that stuff and watered it all the time but it worked. Not sure what seed they used but I know he wouldnt have used a cheap seed
Used pasture, already pooped on for years ? That might matter a lot. Cow sh1t is great for the garden so horse sh1t must grow grass.
Old 04-25-18, 06:40 PM
All World

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yep. Itís effective and not extremely costly. Plus the labor is not nearly as strenuous.
Old 04-25-18, 08:15 PM
All World

Quote:
Used pasture, already pooped on for years ? That might matter a lot. Cow sh1t is great for the garden so horse sh1t must grow grass.
No kind of the opposite. The land had like 5 acres of brush and he cleared it out and fenced it. It was unused and it lines up next to a long long line of horse pastures.

I think you are right about the seed and how well you maintain it. If you buy cheap seed you probably wont take the time to take care of it.
Old 04-25-18, 08:39 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
Didnt you work for Motz? Id ask those dudes

Id go with sod.
Itís been about 9 years since I worked there, I donít have any connections with them anymore.
Old 04-25-18, 08:42 PM
All World

Quote:
If you just put sod on top of that same poor soil, you'll soon have problems, too. Not much soil really comes in a roll of sod.

There is a lot of clay soil around here. It gets spread around to grade after the foundation is dug, kills trees by suffocating their roots and doesn't really support sod much longer than it would grass seed. Sod ends up being like hydroponics, addicted to the lawn service guy, dethatching and aerating, all that crap. The idea that soil prep isn't needed for sod just gets you past the guarantee.

Maybe your soil is okay, but I'd get it tested. Maybe you spend 25% more now having someone till lime or peat or something into what's there already, but you don't want to be disappointed in 3 or 4 years.

I had soil tested for free by OSU's Cooperative Extension Service, but I think that free stuff died out when Kasich tightened the belt. It can't cost too much - https://extension.osu.edu/lao#county Someone near wherever you are can tell you better than I can.
Thanks for the input, cabe. Iíll be doing the opposite of what you recommended.
Old 04-25-18, 08:46 PM
All Yappi

Old 04-25-18, 08:46 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
I used hydroseed on some thin grass to overseed my old house. Worked really well. Did it in March and it rained all April. Hardly had to water.
Old 04-25-18, 08:57 PM
All Yappi

Anybody ever aerate their lawn? My friend did it for me once and all it did was create a bunch of holes with little balls of mud all over the yard.
Old 04-25-18, 10:14 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Anybody ever aerate their lawn? My friend did it for me once and all it did was create a bunch of holes with little balls of mud all over the yard.
I think it tries to duplicate what earthworms do. If you use the heavy pesticides to kill the grubs and/or bad insects, it kills the worms, too.
Old 04-25-18, 10:15 PM
All American

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
I used hydroseed on some thin grass to overseed my old house. Worked really well. Did it in March and it rained all April. Hardly had to water.
I might need to try that

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: