Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Major League Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-27-18, 09:23 AM
All World

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Thereís a reason people refer to highly athletic but sometime injury prone athletes as thoroughbreds.
I give the benefit of the doubt to the athlete in almost all cases. Considering he probably wants to play after his injury history, it seems foolish to think he is faking it. Only non athletes criticize injuries and say "man up plenty of people play through injuries, he must not want it". Just pure stupidity. We dont know what he has played through or his level of pain. Besides it is early in the season with no playoff contention. It isnt like he is asking that much.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-18, 10:06 AM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
I get the point Red is trying to make, but obviously disagree with it. It's like he takes everything that Marty/Thom says and thinks it's Gospel. At any rate, no player is going to care what the fans think when he sits like that, but he's the one who has to look at his teammates. That's a bigger deal IMO than whatever 14Red thinks.
Old 04-27-18, 12:30 PM
All World

Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Oh...you guys are peaches...and I use that in the worst way possible....

Continue to be missing my point altogether...

Mesoraco is in the final year of a contract that's paying him $13 mill this season. He's lost his starting job to Tucker Barnhart. His playing time is already limited, he's not as good as Barnhart. He's had 30 at bats in 25 games so far this season, hitting .200 with one extra base hit.

You would just think that he would do everything he could to get as much playing time as possible. My guess with his injury history, he's not 100% any day, he has aches and pains, just as Buster Posey or Yadier Molina does. But he's a scratch due to a stiff neck. Just tells me alot.
The Reds are hoping to be able to Mez at some point this season. Do you think a team is going to say "no deal" because he missed a game with a stiff neck in April?

They will nix any deal if that "stiff" neck turns into something more serious.

Let him heal so he can be productive and tradeable.
Old 04-27-18, 12:33 PM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
Good Luck trading Mez unless the Reds eat basically his whole contract
Old 04-27-18, 03:21 PM
All World

14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
I get the point Red is trying to make, but obviously disagree with it. It's like he takes everything that Marty/Thom says and thinks it's Gospel. At any rate, no player is going to care what the fans think when he sits like that, but he's the one who has to look at his teammates. That's a bigger deal IMO than whatever 14Red thinks.
Ok, guys...let's turn the tables. You're the GM of another team, you have an injury to a catcher in June and you need a catcher for the stretch drive...
You have Ryan Hannigan, Devin Mesoraco and say...Kurt Suzuki (of the Braves who we just saw) available to acquire. Who are you going to take, based on what you know. Of the 3, from what I've seen the last 2 years, I know who I'm NOT going to take.

Look, I'm not saying he's not hurt, and he's not in some pain. Heck, I'd even say the other day with the late scratch that you have the flu or a migrane. To miss a game when you are a backup player for a "stiff neck" is a bad, bad look.
BTW, do you think that Marty or Thom would make this up? It was on the lineup card when they made the switch, it was the official reason given by the Reds??? I certainly believe the Reds announcers, both TV and radio to be credible, they don't just make things up. I'm actually kind of shocked how many of you are reacting to this. I suppose if Billy sat out due to a "sore arm" you wouldn't criticize him? Heck Suarez just came off the DL from a fractured thumb in 3 weeks?
Old 04-27-18, 04:44 PM
All World

Quote:
Ok, guys...let's turn the tables. You're the GM of another team, you have an injury to a catcher in June and you need a catcher for the stretch drive...
You have Ryan Hannigan, Devin Mesoraco and say...Kurt Suzuki (of the Braves who we just saw) available to acquire. Who are you going to take, based on what you know. Of the 3, from what I've seen the last 2 years, I know who I'm NOT going to take.

Look, I'm not saying he's not hurt, and he's not in some pain. Heck, I'd even say the other day with the late scratch that you have the flu or a migrane. To miss a game when you are a backup player for a "stiff neck" is a bad, bad look.
BTW, do you think that Marty or Thom would make this up? It was on the lineup card when they made the switch, it was the official reason given by the Reds??? I certainly believe the Reds announcers, both TV and radio to be credible, they don't just make things up. I'm actually kind of shocked how many of you are reacting to this. I suppose if Billy sat out due to a "sore arm" you wouldn't criticize him? Heck Suarez just came off the DL from a fractured thumb in 3 weeks?
If I'm trading for a catcher in July, I don't care if he missed a game for a stiff neck in April. It is irrelevant in July.
Old 04-27-18, 05:00 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
What kind of haul can the Reds get for Meso, Indiadad?
Old 04-27-18, 07:37 PM
All Yappi

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
Is it too soon to be concerned with Castillo? He is not the same player this year.
Old 04-27-18, 08:35 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
the 1st inning of the REDS/Twinkies game lasted the same amount of time as the whole 1st period of Nashville/Winnipeg....
Old 04-27-18, 09:12 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Castillo flat out sucks
Old 04-27-18, 09:25 PM
All American

Suzuki $3.5 million
Hannigan FA
Mesoraco $13.125 million

Wouldn't sit next to the phone hoping someone calls to ask about Mez over the other two you listed
Old 04-28-18, 05:51 AM
All World

Quote:
What kind of haul can the Reds get for Meso, Indiadad?
Nothing right now.
Old 04-28-18, 07:16 AM
All Yappi

Didn’t mean right now
Old 04-28-18, 09:10 AM
All Yappi

I went to bed in the 9th with the REDS up big, but this is the REDS of 2018.... Did they win?
Old 04-28-18, 09:58 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
I went to bed in the 9th with the REDS up big, but this is the REDS of 2018.... Did they win?
Yep.
Old 04-28-18, 10:00 AM
All World

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Quote:

No, if Billy had a sore arm and the doctors thought playing him would risk further injury I would argue he should sit. I have already stated why I am more cautious than most (horses), probably to a fault.
Old 04-28-18, 11:52 AM
All American

Tardis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
If I'm trading for a catcher in July, I don't care if he missed a game for a stiff neck in April. It is irrelevant in July.
If he goes to the American League he could also DH, increases his value a little but they probably wouldn't get much more than they got for Bruce.
Old 04-28-18, 11:57 AM
All Yappi

They’d probably get very little unless less they are a ton of his contract....and even then, not much given his injury history.
Old 04-28-18, 02:10 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tardis View Post
If he goes to the American League he could also DH, increases his value a little but they probably wouldn't get much more than they got for Bruce.
I doubt the Reds really even try to move him. At best the Reds might save $4-5M. They don't really have a viable backup without Mez.

If they did there are only a couple of teams that might consider him an upgrade and are in the market (contender).

Boston is probaby the only AL team right now who would fit that description. They aren't struggling to win with their current catchers however.
Old 04-28-18, 06:18 PM
All Yappi

Hamilton pops up twice with a runner on 3rd with less than two outs. Votto not paying attention on the base path again.... This was one the REDS could of won...
Old 04-28-18, 08:54 PM
All American

Scooter probably has the highest value right now out of guys at the end of their contracts. Need a 2B to get hurt though in order to move him and I'm not at all against offering him a 3-5 year deal but not at 5+million a year. Not sure what his market value will be. But do know he enjoys being home and having family and friends at every home game. Could also see him becoming more of a leader and taking a bit of the Frazier community roll if he knows he'll be here awhile.
Old 04-28-18, 10:03 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwr112 View Post
Scooter probably has the highest value right now out of guys at the end of their contracts. Need a 2B to get hurt though in order to move him and I'm not at all against offering him a 3-5 year deal but not at 5+million a year. Not sure what his market value will be. But do know he enjoys being home and having family and friends at every home game. Could also see him becoming more of a leader and taking a bit of the Frazier community roll if he knows he'll be here awhile.
Scooter is 27 and making $5.7M with another raise coming in arbitration. He is having another very good year (so far) and you think he'll sign a long term deal for less than $5M/yr?
Old 04-29-18, 03:34 PM
All Yappi

Peraza is has had a solid April. Good to see.
Old 04-29-18, 03:46 PM
All World

Quote:
Peraza is has had a solid April. Good to see.
He is turning it around. Good news!
Old 04-29-18, 03:53 PM
All World

Reds averaging 5.8R/game in last 10 games. With win today they will be 4-6.

Pitching is still crappy.
Old 04-29-18, 04:14 PM
All World

Reds will likely send Shackleford down tomorrow with no more DH needed. Ervin has not been down for 10 days yet.
Senzel is hitting .319 in his last 12 games. Could we see his call up?
Old 04-29-18, 04:19 PM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Reds will likely send Shackleford down tomorrow with no more DH needed. Ervin has not been down for 10 days yet.
Word is he hurt his shoulder diving for a ball to his left on Saturday. He was scratched from the lineup Sunday.
Old 04-29-18, 04:30 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monclova Steve View Post
Word is he hurt his shoulder diving for a ball to his left on Saturday. He was scratched from the lineup Sunday.
That's unfortunate.....
Old 04-29-18, 10:05 PM
All World

Quote:
Didnít mean right now
I think this is it for him with the Reds? Why did you ask then?
Old 04-29-18, 10:07 PM
All World

Quote:
Not yet, and where are you going to play him? Suarez is at 3rd and hitting. Peraza at short and is now hitting. Are you going to sit Scooter? You're not bringing up Senzel to be a platoon player. I think he comes up in June/ July when you trade Gennett. He can play 2nd base the rest of the season.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: