Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-21-18, 08:31 AM
Hail To The Aviators

ButlerAviator83 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyTrojan05 View Post
Troy is legit this year.
That is an accurate statement. I had no doubt they would be improved, but I never saw them bouncing back like they have this season. I was going to have to pull for a Tipp sweep of Troy and hope that Butler could sweep Tipp for a share of the GWOC North, but losing to Fairborn was the nail in the coffin.

At this point I'd like to see Troy sweep the Red Devils.
Old 04-21-18, 08:32 AM
Hail To The Aviators

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippIsGreat View Post
No doubt they are good but Butler is not at the same level that they have been the last few years. Tipp is probably gonna have to beat Troy twice to win the league, itís gonna be very interesting
Totally agree on Butler, just not at the level that we have seen over the last few years. But I don't discount Troy, they looked really solid. That being said, Tipp is on another level this season.
Old 04-21-18, 09:40 AM
All Ohio

yakyak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButlerAviator83 View Post
Totally agree on Butler, just not at the level that we have seen over the last few years. But I don't discount Troy, they looked really solid. That being said, Tipp is on another level this season.
Butler is very young right? Tipp is playing young also I think. Is Baseball the GWOC north best sport from a state perspective historically?

I know the team I support Vandalia, baseball is best and its not close.
Old 04-21-18, 10:55 AM
Hail To The Aviators

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakyak View Post
Butler is very young right? Tipp is playing young also I think. Is Baseball the GWOC north best sport from a state perspective historically?

Butler is a younger team, playing three freshman this year. Unfortunately it’s just a really down year which isn’t something that we are accustomed to at Butler when it comes to baseball. Baseball is king at Butler.

The 2008 team entered the tournament around the .500 mark and won a District title, finishing 18-13, so to your point in an earlier post anything can happen and still everything in the world to play for!

As far as baseball being the best sport in the GWOC I would have to think so. From top to bottom every team in the division has had success, maybe not a championship but in overall ability to compete. Sure there is ebb and flow but more parity amongst the team in baseball than in any other sport.

Last edited by ButlerAviator83; 04-21-18 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-21-18, 12:33 PM
All American

TippIsGreat is on a distinguished road
After beating Fairborn 3-0 Tipp beats a solid KR team 3-1. Tipp is now 15-1 heading into a huge week with matchups against Troy and Northmont.
Old 04-21-18, 12:39 PM
All American

Quote:

Tipp has 10 seniors on the team this year. Sophomore Cade Beam is a stud and one of their best hitters and junior Ian Yunker is 4-0 this season with a .31 ERA. Junior Kenten Egbert just threw a complete game shutout with 14 strikeouts against Fairborn in his first start this season after sitting out the first half due to transfer rules. This team is upperclassmen laden but before the season only a few had a lot of varsity experience after losing 9 seniors from last year
Old 04-21-18, 08:27 PM
All Ohio

HomeRunsNDunks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButlerAviator83 View Post
That is an accurate statement. I had no doubt they would be improved, but I never saw them bouncing back like they have this season. I was going to have to pull for a Tipp sweep of Troy and hope that Butler could sweep Tipp for a share of the GWOC North, but losing to Fairborn was the nail in the coffin.

At this point I'd like to see Troy sweep the Red Devils.
I think itís a combination of Troy being up and Butler being down. This is probably Troyís best team since the 2014 one with Kendall, Langdon, McGraw, G. Johnson.

Tipp and Troy should be a fun matchup on Monday and Tuesday. Brogan and McDonagh for Troy and Losey/Egbert for Tipp? Possibly Yunker?
Old 04-23-18, 04:46 PM
All American

Tippecanoe is #1 in the first OHSBCA poll. Standing at 15-1 there game against Troy tonight was cancelled

https://associationdatabase.com/aws/...on=2018&week=1
Old 04-23-18, 09:42 PM
All World

GCPRO
Tipp is a great program but their single loss is to CJ which was the DII state runner-up in 2017. Coach Cahill's clubs have never played a single game on the last weekend of the baseball season. I must ask if they've ever played a regional final games? Unless thy have been in that in situation they cannot be a #1 team in the state, regardless of their record.

CJ is 7-3. Who took the loss on the mound for the Devils that day?
Old 04-24-18, 06:16 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCPRO View Post
Tipp is a great program but their single loss is to CJ which was the DII state runner-up in 2017. Coach Cahill's clubs have never played a single game on the last weekend of the baseball season. I must ask if they've ever played a regional final games? Unless thy have been in that in situation they cannot be a #1 team in the state, regardless of their record.

CJ is 7-3. Who took the loss on the mound for the Devils that day?
Yes they have been in the regional finals a few times, and have been to regionals 9 total times. If I recall Tipp beat CJ last year during the regular season, 9 district championships and having a coach who is top 10 in wins all time with over 650, I think Tipp can be ranked number 1.
Old 04-24-18, 03:49 PM
All World

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
Is Yunker Frosty Brown's grandson? If so, I remember seeing him when he was just a little toddler running around the dugout.
Old 04-24-18, 05:22 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Is Yunker Frosty Brown's grandson? If so, I remember seeing him when he was just a little toddler running around the dugout.
Yes he is. Troy up 1-0 over Tipp after four innings.
Old 04-24-18, 06:33 PM
All American

Tipp beats Troy 5-1 but it wasn’t easy. Troy made a lot of bad mistakes in the final inning. But man Kenten Egbert is a pleasant surprise, hit a solo homer and got the save
Old 04-25-18, 07:11 AM
All District

Owen Warner is on a distinguished road
Tipp is the best team top to bottom I have seen this year. Fairborn is also very young. Playing 3 freshmen and only 1 Senior on the team.
Old 04-25-18, 09:50 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Tipp beats Troy 5-1 but it wasnít easy. Troy made a lot of bad mistakes in the final inning. But man Kenten Egbert is a pleasant surprise, hit a solo homer and got the save
Troy doesnít have a lot of pitching depth...McDonagh and Brogan are the guys, hard to match up with Tipp who has guys down the roster that can throw. Egbert was a big pick up, first team all-conference as a sophomore and plays for a good summer organization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Warner View Post
Tipp is the best team top to bottom I have seen this year. Fairborn is also very young. Playing 3 freshmen and only 1 Senior on the team.
They definitely have a ton of depth. Especially on the mound. I donít know if they have the lineup strength to make it through but they will have a stellar regular season with the amount of pitchers they have.
Old 04-25-18, 02:14 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeRunsNDunks View Post
Troy doesnít have a lot of pitching depth...McDonagh and Brogan are the guys, hard to match up with Tipp who has guys down the roster that can throw. Egbert was a big pick up, first team all-conference as a sophomore and plays for a good summer organization.

They definitely have a ton of depth. Especially on the mound. I donít know if they have the lineup strength to make it through but they will have a stellar regular season with the amount of pitchers they have.
Tipp has 7 guys with more than 35 At Bats and all 7 are hitting at least .315.. They are 2nd in GWOC in doubles, 3rd in stolen bases, tied for 1st in HRs and 4th in team batting average. Their team ERA is 1.12 which is first in the GWOC, they have the second most strikeouts in the GWOC. This is the best team Tipp has had since 2013 when they lost to Jonathon Alder in the regional finals. The only concern I have is errors, which is what caused them to lose so badly to CJ
Old 04-25-18, 06:12 PM
All American

And then Tipp goes out and gets beat 11-0.. Man sometimes it feels like this kids just don’t care some days
Old 04-25-18, 06:25 PM
All World

Come tournament time, 2 horses on the mound can get you pretty far. Troy is dangerous this year. Just solid all the way around. Very blue collar.
Old 04-26-18, 07:27 AM
All Ohio

freedom_isnt_free is on a distinguished road
And Tipp still has to play two against a loose Butler team with NOTHING to lose. Troy definitely sitting in the better of the two spots right now.
Old 04-26-18, 08:07 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
And then Tipp goes out and gets beat 11-0.. Man sometimes it feels like this kids just donít care some days
Its just high school baseball, you really need more than 2 games to differentiate. .Troy is no way 11 runs better. Two good teams like this you never know. I wont brag about my preseason predicition, i just won't do it. Troy coach is underrated.
Old 04-27-18, 02:04 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Its just high school baseball, you really need more than 2 games to differentiate. .Troy is no way 11 runs better. Two good teams like this you never know. I wont brag about my preseason predicition, i just won't do it. Troy coach is underrated.
You definitely called it.
Old 04-29-18, 11:58 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom_isnt_free View Post
And Tipp still has to play two against a loose Butler team with NOTHING to lose. Troy definitely sitting in the better of the two spots right now.
EDIT: Troy was in the better of two spots before a head scratcher of a loss to West Carrollton.
Old 04-30-18, 06:15 PM
All American

Tipp with the 5-0 win over Butler
Old 05-01-18, 08:20 PM
Varsity

BleedPurple&Gold is on a distinguished road
Butler over Tipp 3-2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-02-18, 07:02 AM
All Ohio

Looks like co-champions this year.
Old 05-03-18, 02:15 PM
All World

How in gods name did Troy lose to West Carrollton!?
Old 05-04-18, 06:48 AM
All Region

wayicit is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Simple math really. WC scored more runs than Troy. Or you could look at it another way, WC allowed fewer runs to be scored than Troy.

It's baseball, any given day...
Old 05-04-18, 07:58 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Same way a loaded Butler team lost to Tecumseh in the tournament a few years ago....baseball is a strange strange game.
Old 05-10-18, 02:28 PM
All District

OHFball10 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom_isnt_free View Post
Same way a loaded Butler team lost to Tecumseh in the tournament a few years ago....baseball is a strange strange game.
This is the truth with baseball. The "best" team may not always win, because the game has so many variables that allow upsets to happen with regularity, or teams with one good pitcher to beat a team with an entire solid pitching staff. You have one bad day hitting, or one opposing pitcher throws a gem, and you find yourself out of the tournament early, like Butler had happen against Tecumseh.

Take Tippecanoe for example. Many people here seem to think that because they've never made it to state, that they don't deserve a #1 ranking (from earlier in the season), or that they just can't win big games.

In some recent years. they have been ousted in the tournament by good teams, but some other years the team lost before they got to face a high profile matchup. Here's their tournament losses in the last 10 years:

2017: Kenton Ridge 5-2 (Sectional Final)
2016: #16 St. Francis DeSales 10-1 (Regional Semifinal)
2015: Fenwick 10-2 (District Final)
2014: Monroe 8-3 (Regional Semifinal)
2013: Alder 3-0 (Regional Final)
2012: Wyoming 3-2 (Regional Semifinal)
2011: Greenville 4-1 (Regional Semifinal)
2010: McNicholas 5-2 (District Final)
2009: Kenton Ridge 3-1 (Sectional Final)
2008: Ben Logan 3-1 (Sectional Final)

Of all of those losses, 2010, 2011 & 2012 were all losses to seemingly inferior teams. I would argue the 2010 team had more talent and as deep of a pitching staff as any team they've ever had, but one bad game did them in to McNicholas who was only 14-15.

Sure, Tipp hasn't had top tier D1 talent come through in awhile, but they can certainly compete with the best division 2 has to offer. The only problem is, they don't seem to get far enough in the tournament to see teams outside the Dayton area very often.
Old 05-11-18, 08:06 AM
Hail To The Aviators

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHFball10 View Post
This is the truth with baseball. The "best" team may not always win, because the game has so many variables that allow upsets to happen with regularity, or teams with one good pitcher to beat a team with an entire solid pitching staff. You have one bad day hitting, or one opposing pitcher throws a gem, and you find yourself out of the tournament early, like Butler had happen against Tecumseh.

Take Tippecanoe for example. Many people here seem to think that because they've never made it to state, that they don't deserve a #1 ranking (from earlier in the season), or that they just can't win big games.

In some recent years. they have been ousted in the tournament by good teams, but some other years the team lost before they got to face a high profile matchup. Here's their tournament losses in the last 10 years:

2017: Kenton Ridge 5-2 (Sectional Final)
2016: #16 St. Francis DeSales 10-1 (Regional Semifinal)
2015: Fenwick 10-2 (District Final)
2014: Monroe 8-3 (Regional Semifinal)
2013: Alder 3-0 (Regional Final)
2012: Wyoming 3-2 (Regional Semifinal)
2011: Greenville 4-1 (Regional Semifinal)
2010: McNicholas 5-2 (District Final)
2009: Kenton Ridge 3-1 (Sectional Final)
2008: Ben Logan 3-1 (Sectional Final)

Of all of those losses, 2010, 2011 & 2012 were all losses to seemingly inferior teams. I would argue the 2010 team had more talent and as deep of a pitching staff as any team they've ever had, but one bad game did them in to McNicholas who was only 14-15.

Sure, Tipp hasn't had top tier D1 talent come through in awhile, but they can certainly compete with the best division 2 has to offer. The only problem is, they don't seem to get far enough in the tournament to see teams outside the Dayton area very often.
Given their pitching depth and whatís just a really solid team in general I would be shocked to see them lose before DII Regionals.