Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-19-18, 08:04 AM
All American

Zezzo! is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJacketCity View Post
With all due respect there aren't a lot of 6'5 PG's out there. If you look at the 247 sports 2019 basketball rankings for PG's, of the top 20 pg's in the country only 6 of the 20 are taller than Andre who's 6'2. Lets go to the college game. Of the starting PG's in the Big Ten for the '17-'18 season, only 4 of the 14 them were taller than Andre. In the SEC 5 of 14 pg's are taller than 6'2. Without running the #'s of the pg's I saw the majority were easily 6'0 or shorter.

I think that much of the reason for the basketball scouts and coaches waiting back on Andre was an apprehension based on his unwillingness to commit to basketball over football. How much are you going to invests in recruiting a player to have him tell you, sorry coach I'm gonna play football in college.

You won't find a more explosive athlete bar none including Trae Young. With the exposure he's going to get combined with his court vision, passing ability, and ability to score, I think he's gonna skyrocket up the national rankings and I think it's only a matter of time before Power 5 offers start rolling in.
NJC you miss my point but that's ok. He doesn't have the intangibles at his height to be an elite D1 pg. if he was taller not necessarily 6'5 he'd be perfect or if he was quicker at his size he'd be perfect. There's a reason they have a rating system for recruits. If you have 5-stars you have all the tools to be elite, Dre doesn't have all those tools to be a five-star guy he falls between 2 and 3 meaning he's definitely a D1 guy but not Hi-major. There's a reason why he hasn't got "Power 5" offers as a junior. Luke Kennard, Daequan Cook are the most recent area examples they had "Power 5" offers as sophomores neither one of those guys went prep and both of them were 5-star guys.

I don't think him playing football has anything to do with his recruitment. College coaches love multi-sport athletes he's more marketable coaches invest in 2-sport athletes all the time but don't necessarily mean that athlete will play 2-sports in college.
Old 04-19-18, 08:11 AM
All Yappi

catscatscats is on a distinguished road
Dre recruitment is going to take off. He will be in a position now where he doesn’t have to do everything for his team go watch some of his aau clips. Already picked up UD that fast
Old 04-19-18, 08:15 AM
All American

TippIsGreat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezzo! View Post
NJC you miss my point but that's ok. He doesn't have the intangibles at his height to be an elite D1 pg. if he was taller not necessarily 6'5 he'd be perfect or if he was quicker at his size he'd be perfect. There's a reason they have a rating system for recruits. If you have 5-stars you have all the tools to be elite, Dre doesn't have all those tools to be a five-star guy he falls between 2 and 3 meaning he's definitely a D1 guy but not Hi-major. There's a reason why he hasn't got "Power 5" offers as a junior. Luke Kennard, Daequan Cook are the most recent area examples they had "Power 5" offers as sophomores neither one of those guys went prep and both of them were 5-star guys.

I don't think him playing football has anything to do with his recruitment. College coaches love multi-sport athletes he's more marketable coaches invest in 2-sport athletes all the time but don't necessarily mean that athlete will play 2-sports in college.
The notion that he is not high major because of his height is laughable. All 4 starting point guards in the final four were 6’3 or shorter. Heck Xavier Simpson isn’t even 6’. The kid is high major and will climb the rankings because he has a natural ability to score, much like Samari Curtis, but less selfish and more efficient. Gordon also has great passing ability which makes him even more attractive for colleges
Old 04-19-18, 08:17 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by catscatscats View Post
Dre recruitment is going to take off. He will be in a position now where he doesn’t have to do everything for his team go watch some of his aau clips. Already picked up UD that fast
As I mentioned earlier going prep was a great move for him. One of the reasons I mentioned was it will open up his recruitment he'll get more of what he already has, Dayton, a mid-major is a prime example.
Old 04-19-18, 08:25 AM
All Ohio

lat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TippIsGreat View Post
The notion that he is not high major because of his height is laughable. All 4 starting point guards in the final four were 6’3 or shorter. Heck Xavier Simpson isn’t even 6’. The kid is high major and will climb the rankings because he has a natural ability to score, much like Samari Curtis, but less selfish and more efficient. Gordon also has great passing ability which makes him even more attractive for colleges
The difference between Andre and Xavier Simpson or a samari curtis is they are both better shooters than Andre. I also think maybe that his past history of injuries doesn’t help him either, he kinda seemed like a glass house on the football field just never knew when he was going to break. And the offer from UD has nothing to do with Huntington prep he’s had multiple visits there the last 2 years
Old 04-19-18, 08:48 AM
All World

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
You Sidney fans are too nice. If I was a fan of your team, I'd be pretty upset over this. I would hate if the best athlete ever at my school jumped ship and went and played for a national powerhouse. I think if you're good, you're good. They will find you.

I'm not him so this may be the best option for him. I'm nobody to tell anyone what they should do with their lives. I'm just saying, me personally, I wouldn't like it.

Kennard played 4 years a small Franklin, and went to Duke, and was a lottery pick. You don't have to play for a powerhouse.
Old 04-19-18, 09:08 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyTrojan05 View Post
You Sidney fans are too nice. If I was a fan of your team, I'd be pretty upset over this. I would hate if the best athlete ever at my school jumped ship and went and played for a national powerhouse. I think if you're good, you're good. They will find you.

I'm not him so this may be the best option for him. I'm nobody to tell anyone what they should do with their lives. I'm just saying, me personally, I wouldn't like it.

Kennard played 4 years a small Franklin, and went to Duke, and was a lottery pick. You don't have to play for a powerhouse.
TT5 there's a lot of validity to what you just posted but it also validates my point from a previous post when I gave examples of Luke Kennard and Daequan Cook being 5-star players. I also agree with the notion of "if you're good enough they'll find you". It is a fact that some are definitely confused of what an elite D1 player is.
Old 04-19-18, 09:28 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippIsGreat View Post
Allow me to break this down for you:
Xavier Simpson-5'11, ELITE LEVEL QUICKNESS(INTANGIBLE)CAN BLOW BY ANYONE ON THAT LEVEL
Jalen Brunson-6'3, BIG,STRONG,QUICK,SCORER,DEFENDS,CAN PASS
DeVonte Graham-may be 6'2 ELITE LEVEL QUICKNESS(INTANGIBLE)CAN BLOW PAST ANYBODY ON THAT LEVEL
Clayton Custer-6'0 Loyola-Chicago A MID-MAJOR!

AT THIS POINT GORDON IS DEFINITELY A MID-MAJOR RECRUIT!
HE DOESN'T HAVE ELITE QUICKNESS, HIS OTHER ATTRIBUTES SHOOTING, PASSING AND HEIGHT MAKES HIM A PERFECT MID-MAJOR RECRUIT!
AND IT'S NOT A NOTION IT'S A FACT!

Last edited by Zezzo!; 04-19-18 at 09:51 AM.
Old 04-19-18, 10:08 AM
All Region

spirit454 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Does Dayton recruit mainly 2-3 star guys?
Old 04-19-18, 10:11 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit454 View Post
Does Dayton recruit mainly 2-3 star guys?
They get solid 3's and the occasional 4. The kid from Cleveland is a 4 star guy coming in next year. Chris Wright was, I believe Scoochie was and some others. They also rely on overseas guys too, as well as Canadians.
Old 04-19-18, 10:17 AM
All Region

Quote:

I can agree with this. I wish the best for the kid but being the best player on an average team playing an average schedule may have convinced him he is special. He carried D1 Sidney to a 16-6 record playing an average schedule which includes a loss to D3 Versailles who does have a special player on their roster and he did not need a prep school to get his big time offers nor did his brother.
Old 04-19-18, 10:27 AM
All Region

Quote:
They get solid 3's and the occasional 4. The kid from Cleveland is a 4 star guy coming in next year. Chris Wright was, I believe Scoochie was and some others. They also rely on overseas guys too, as well as Canadians.
I can believe they get some 4* guys over the years but my question would be do they normally get 2* and 3* guys with the occasional 4* or are they a roster that gets 4* recruits that will take a 2* to see if he can play? My guess is they normally have 2*-3* guys committing and get a 4* sometimes.

Chris Wright was a freakish leaper.
Old 04-19-18, 10:35 AM
Freshman

sidneyfan is on a distinguished road
kinda of hard for a kid to blow bye anyone when you are being double and triple teams every play and he still averaged 24 points a game at that. go watch his aau team and then tell me what you think. sidney had no one on the team that was consistent enough to take the double and triple team off him. tough to shot with that kind of pressure on you.
Old 04-19-18, 10:36 AM
All World

Quote:
I can believe they get some 4* guys over the years but my question would be do they normally get 2* and 3* guys with the occasional 4* or are they a roster that gets 4* recruits that will take a 2* to see if he can play? My guess is they normally have 2*-3* guys committing and get a 4* sometimes.

No, If you go to any recruiting site such as Rivals or ESPN etc. most of the guys they are are 3 stars. Let's say out of every 20 recruits about 15 are 3 stars with a few 4's and maybe the occasional 2 star or overseas guy.
Old 04-19-18, 10:47 AM
All Region

Quote:
No, If you go to any recruiting site such as Rivals or ESPN etc. most of the guys they are are 3 stars. Let's say out of every 20 recruits about 15 are 3 stars with a few 4's and maybe the occasional 2 star or overseas guy.
That is what I thought, most are of the 2*or 3* range with an occasional 4* thrown in. Some players are 0*.
Old 04-19-18, 10:50 AM
All American

Quote:

UD's top 8 guys are mostly 3-star guys with maybe 2or3, 4-star guys Wright State gets mostly 2-3 star players occasionally a 4-star with difference being a missing intangible(s). No D1 college will take a chance on a guy to see if he can play unless he's a walk-on or they're trying to fill roster spots or he's over 6'8.
Old 04-19-18, 10:57 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneyfan View Post
kinda of hard for a kid to blow bye anyone when you are being double and triple teams every play and he still averaged 24 points a game at that. go watch his aau team and then tell me what you think. sidney had no one on the team that was consistent enough to take the double and triple team off him. tough to shot with that kind of pressure on you.
Thank you Sidney fan for being load and clear. He could not totally showcase his skills because his teammates were not good enough.
Old 04-19-18, 10:58 AM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
The kid's leaping abilities (vertical, 2nd jump, etc.) are elite for his size. Average speed/quickness guys normally aren't high-end leapers.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 04-19-18, 10:58 AM
All Region

Quote:
UD's top 8 guys are mostly 3-star guys with maybe 2or3, 4-star guys Wright State gets mostly 2-3 star players occasionally a 4-star with difference being a missing intangible(s). No D1 college will take a chance on a guy to see if he can play unless he's a walk-on or they're trying to fill roster spots or he's over 6'8.
What was Ryan Mikesell's rating?
Old 04-19-18, 11:13 AM
All American

Quote:
I have no idea but he's 6'7. By the way Kennard's teammates were'nt exceptional either.
Old 04-19-18, 11:15 AM
All World

Quote:
Mikesell was a no star.
Old 04-19-18, 11:51 AM
All Region

Quote:
I have no idea but he's 6'7. By the way Kennard's teammates were'nt exceptional either.
So he was not a walk on OR over 6'8. So we agree Dayton will offer far less than 3* or 4* athletes. Which I totally support but a UD offer is not outstanding for a major D1 recruit.

And I would agree about Kennard's teammates. But yet he stayed home and walked on the campus at Duke. Maybe the reality is this Sidney kid, who we know is old for his class, is not a special player but needs to get into a place to be seen so he can find a place where he fits in. The special player in my opinion will be found anywhere he is and can fit in anywhere. That is not a knock on Gordon but just a reality that he is a 2* or maybe a 3* player maximum.
Old 04-19-18, 12:47 PM
All American

Quote:
So he was not a walk on OR over 6'8. So we agree Dayton will offer far less than 3* or 4* athletes. Which I totally support but a UD offer is not outstanding for a major D1 recruit.

And I would agree about Kennard's teammates. But yet he stayed home and walked on the campus at Duke. Maybe the reality is this Sidney kid, who we know is old for his class, is not a special player but needs to get into a place to be seen so he can find a place where he fits in. The special player in my opinion will be found anywhere he is and can fit in anywhere. That is not a knock on Gordon but just a reality that he is a 2* or maybe a 3* player maximum.
Old 04-19-18, 01:14 PM
All Yappi

catscatscats is on a distinguished road
Lol this post is hilarious. There is not a team in state of Ohio Gordon wouldn’t start for and be a standout player. Kids go to prep schools all the time regardless of their high school team being good or not. He will be just fine at HP and will prove a lot wrong.

Zezzo I see what your saying but a lot of the problemat Sidney is they had no other player that could create offense so every defense was focused on him. A lot of what is being said about him was said about Kennard as well. Not comparing the 2 players because they are no where near the same just saying Gordon will be just fine. Also made all tournament team at a big aau tournament over weekend
Old 04-19-18, 01:34 PM
All Region

Quote:
Lol this post is hilarious. There is not a team in state of Ohio Gordon wouldn’t start for and be a standout player. Kids go to prep schools all the time regardless of their high school team being good or not. He will be just fine at HP and will prove a lot wrong.

Zezzo I see what your saying but a lot of the problemat Sidney is they had no other player that could create offense so every defense was focused on him. A lot of what is being said about him was said about Kennard as well. Not comparing the 2 players because they are no where near the same just saying Gordon will be just fine. Also made all tournament team at a big aau tournament over weekend
I agree that he could probably start and think the kid will be fine at HP.

One obvious difference between Gordon and Kennard is that Kennard felt the schools would come find him playing at home, and Duke did. Gordon feels he is not getting looks because he is playing at home. More power to him and good luck at HP. It should surely help prepare him for college.
Old 04-19-18, 05:45 PM
All District

NewJacketCity is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwwarrior09 View Post
The kid's leaping abilities (vertical, 2nd jump, etc.) are elite for his size. Average speed/quickness guys normally aren't high-end leapers.

Exactly. Andre was literally being recruited by Big Ten football programs because of his elite quickness and athleticism. Anyone who says Andre doesn't have elite quickness either has no idea what they're talking about or haven't watched him. Elite players fly under the radar sometimes, it happens. I believe Andre a strong AAU season will end up being at a power 5 conference and possibly on a top half end team.
Old 04-19-18, 05:52 PM
All District

Quote:
I agree that he could probably start and think the kid will be fine at HP.

One obvious difference between Gordon and Kennard is that Kennard felt the schools would come find him playing at home, and Duke did. Gordon feels he is not getting looks because he is playing at home. More power to him and good luck at HP. It should surely help prepare him for college.
I know for a fact that this is patently false. Andre isn't going to HP to get more looks, though that could happen indirectly. He wants to play early in his college career and he feels that going to HP will help prepare him for the rigors of playing a D1 college basketball schedule and competition. Period.

I think people need to ease up in assuming things about what Andre does or doesn't want. He has a good head on his shoulders, and made a decision based on a lot of thought and advice let's support his decision.
Old 04-19-18, 06:46 PM
All Region

Quote:
I know for a fact that this is patently false. Andre isn't going to HP to get more looks, though that could happen indirectly. He wants to play early in his college career and he feels that going to HP will help prepare him for the rigors of playing a D1 college basketball schedule and competition. Period.

I think people need to ease up in assuming things about what Andre does or doesn't want. He has a good head on his shoulders, and made a decision based on a lot of thought and advice let's support his decision.
Maybe a better way to have said that was "Gordon feels he could get more if he was playing somewhere else". I was not trying to to make a bad assumption or say anything bad about the kid. Only making a comparison to another local kid who stayed at his home school and was totally prepared to play as a freshman at arguably the best college program in the country. Similar path a kid from Lima took.
Old 04-19-18, 08:31 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by lat View Post
The difference between Andre and Xavier Simpson or a samari curtis is they are both better shooters than Andre. I also think maybe that his past history of injuries doesn’t help him either, he kinda seemed like a glass house on the football field just never knew when he was going to break. And the offer from UD has nothing to do with Huntington prep he’s had multiple visits there the last 2 years
I can’t speak to Simpson, but Andre had virtually an identical 3 point shooting percentage to Curtis this season. Andre had a better FT % by nearly 10%.
Old 04-19-18, 08:39 PM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Exactly. Andre was literally being recruited by Big Ten football programs because of his elite quickness and athleticism. Anyone who says Andre doesn't have elite quickness either has no idea what they're talking about or haven't watched him. Elite players fly under the radar sometimes, it happens. I believe Andre a strong AAU season will end up being at a power 5 conference and possibly on a top half end team.
Incidentally, I found myself checking out basketball recruiting rankings today. Obviously a lot changes over AAU season, but Gordon's top 6-7 in Ohio on every site. 247 has him with the same evaluation grade as Samari Curtis (Xavier), Myles McBride (West Virginia) and Amari Davis. I'd be shocked if he doesn't end up at a power 5 or pseudo power 5 (UC, Xavier) basketball school. Offers will pour in IMO as he's on a loaded AAU team in C2K that has a ton of players that many schools will want to evaluate this spring/summer.