Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-06-17, 03:56 PM
All Yappi

Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Stark County Area Schools' Competitive Balance Adjustments

There've been lots of comments made about homegrown talent and where players come from. Here are the adjustments to the enrollment count as defined by Competitive Balance for some area schools.

Canton Central Catholic 55
Massillon 38
St. Thomas Aquinas 31
Perry 21
Hoover 12
Alliance 9
Canton South 8
Tuslaw 8
Marlington 6
Minerva 6
McKinley 4
Green 3
Sandy Valley 3
Fairless 3
Northwest 2
Jackson 2
Lake 2
East Canton 1
GlenOak 0
Louisville 0
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-17, 04:55 PM
All District

OneForTheRoad is on a distinguished road
You have to read the rules and understand the flowchart of feeder schools. Easily explained for a school like St. Thomas Aquinas.

Based on the physical address of STA (Louisville) the only feeder schools that kids can come from and STA not be given CB figures for is St. Louis and of course the STA middle school as long as they are enrolled in 7th grade. (different multiplier for those who enroll in 8th grade)

St. Louis has about 6-8 students a year in 8th grade and not all of them wind up attending STA. The middle school is about 2-3 years old now and enrollment is low.

The majority of kids entering 9th grade at STA come from Christ the Servant (OLOP), Canton City feeder, St. Paul, North Canton City feeder, Regina Ceoli, Alliance City School feeder, and a few from St. Michael, Canton City School feeder.

It all boils down to the physical address of the high school for non-public schools.

However, 90+% of the kids enrolled at STA have gone to Catholic Schooling their entire school history. I guess the question is really what is homegrown? A kid who has lived his/her entire life in a locale and has attended Catholic or private school, or one who has at least one parent in the public school district or moved in by the 7th grade.

I guess I consider kids who have attended non-public schooling at a traditional feeder school for his entire school years with the intention of attending that non-public school for high school as "homegrown".

I don't care one way or another, CB is not going to affect most of the smaller non_public schools.
Old 04-06-17, 05:49 PM
All World

firewatch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneForTheRoad View Post
You have to read the rules and understand the flowchart of feeder schools. Easily explained for a school like St. Thomas Aquinas.

Based on the physical address of STA (Louisville) the only feeder schools that kids can come from and STA not be given CB figures for is St. Louis and of course the STA middle school as long as they are enrolled in 7th grade. (different multiplier for those who enroll in 8th grade)

St. Louis has about 6-8 students a year in 8th grade and not all of them wind up attending STA. The middle school is about 2-3 years old now and enrollment is low.

The majority of kids entering 9th grade at STA come from Christ the Servant (OLOP), Canton City feeder, St. Paul, North Canton City feeder, Regina Ceoli, Alliance City School feeder, and a few from St. Michael, Canton City School feeder.

It all boils down to the physical address of the high school for non-public schools.

However, 90+% of the kids enrolled at STA have gone to Catholic Schooling their entire school history. I guess the question is really what is homegrown? A kid who has lived his/her entire life in a locale and has attended Catholic or private school, or one who has at least one parent in the public school district or moved in by the 7th grade.

I guess I consider kids who have attended non-public schooling at a traditional feeder school for his entire school years with the intention of attending that non-public school for high school as "homegrown".

I don't care one way or another, CB is not going to affect most of the smaller non_public schools.
STA also gets kids from St Joseph's in Randolph, Portage County.
Old 04-06-17, 06:03 PM
All American

BigSack is an unknown quantity at this point
You must have missed the "Saint" in front of Massillon
Old 04-06-17, 06:15 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSack View Post
You must have missed the "Saint" in front of Massillon
With an adjustment to their enrollment of 38, Massillon is in the top 10 among all public schools in the state.
Old 04-06-17, 07:33 PM
All Region

TriangleMan is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Christ the Servant (OLOP) and St. Michael are located in the Plain Local school district. They are not feeders in the Canton City attendance zone.

The physical address of STA, or any other private school, played no role in determining which feeder schools’ students were assigned a multiplier, unless STA did not select a public school's attendance zone and the OHSAA assigned one based on location. This allowed Canton CC, situated in Perry Local, to select Plain Local as its zone to take advantage of the St. Michael contingent.

STA possibly selected Louisville Public Schools as its zone, and it could pull from St Louis with no penalty. Since STA middle school did not exist until the 2014-15 school year, this year’s 10-12 graders on the rosters were never enrolled as seventh graders at the middle school; 10th graders would’ve been 8th graders for a minimum multiplier. So maybe STA selected NC City Schools as its attendance zone, to take advantage of the large number of St Paul students in grades 10-12, or Canton City for its connection to St. Peter. Anyhow, it’s probably irrelevant which zone was selected as there aren’t enough roster members in any sport to push their starting EMIS numbers into the next higher division.

Last edited by TriangleMan; 04-10-17 at 08:27 AM. Reason: use attendance zone not district
Old 04-09-17, 05:29 AM
All American

my2sense is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinbiner View Post
With an adjustment to their enrollment of 38, Massillon is in the top 10 among all public schools in the state.
At least its paying off for them.

And to think that the recruit that caused all the distractions, fines and dissension wasn't even counted since he lived in the coach's basement.
Old 04-09-17, 07:58 AM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriangleMan View Post
Christ the Servant (OLOP) and St. Michael are located in the Plain Local school district. They are not feeders in the Canton City attendance zone.

The physical address of STA, or any other private school, played no role in determining which feeder schools’ students were assigned a multiplier, unless STA did not select a feeder district and the OHSAA assigned one based on location. This allowed Canton CC, situated in Perry Local, to select Plain Local as its district to take advantage of the St. Michael contingent.

STA possibly selected Louisville Public Schools as its feeder district, and it could pull from Louisville and St Louis with no penalty. Since STA middle school did not exist until the 2014-15 school year, this year’s 10-12 graders on the rosters were never enrolled as seventh graders at the middle school; 10th graders would’ve been 8th graders for a minimum multiplier. So maybe STA selected NC City Schools as its feeder district, to take advantage of the large number of St Paul students in grades 10-12, or Canton City for its connection to St. Peter. Anyhow, it’s probably irrelevant which district was selected as there aren’t enough roster members in any sport to push their starting EMIS numbers into the next higher division.
That's not exactly how CB works.

http://www.ohsaa.org/Portals/0/Schoo...Balance101.pdf

Read the bottom left corner.

A non-public school gets to select one school as its designated feeder school, not a school district. For Central Catholic, St. Michael is the designated feeder school since it school sends the highest number of students (not a majority, mind you) to Central Catholic. For St. Thomas Aquinas, I would imagine their middle school is the designated feeder school. Anyone who has not been continuously enrolled in the designated feeder school since 7th grade is assessed some tier of multiplier. OneForTheRoad does bring up a good point about the timeline of when the middle school came into existence and how many St. Thomas Aquinas students would not have come through he middle school beginning in 7th grade. I have no idea if St. Thomas Aquinas asked the OHSAA for an exception in that case. End of the day, St. Thomas Aquinas is DVII for football no matter what, but it could have a greater impact on other sports since the Tier 2 multiplier is much larger in volleyball, baseball, basketball, softball, and soccer.

When CB was first discussed, the physical address of the school was expected to be the determining factor for which non-public school students would and would not be assessed a multiplier. Central Catholic might have been hurt even worse if it had to claim Perry Township as its home district and be assessed a multiplier for the rest. St. Thomas Aquinas would've been hurt worse if it had to claim Louisville City as its home district and be assessed a multiplier for the rest.

Last edited by Mr. Slippery; 04-09-17 at 08:15 AM.
Old 04-09-17, 06:25 PM
All American

jackson03 is on a distinguished road
Why would a private school be forced to select just one feeder school? That seems nonsensical. A kid at St. Mary's is the same as a kid at St. Michael's. I guess it's irrelevant as the desired effect was obtained (preventing a potential drop to D6), but why go through the paperwork of figuring out where every kid went to middle school? Just bump the private schools up one division each and call it a day. That's what they were angling for the entire time. Or do it based on on-the-field results regardless of whether the school is public or private, like some states do.
Old 04-09-17, 06:27 PM
All American

Also, glad to see Perry bumped up to D1. Disappointed Hoover dropped to D2. Really hope they don't do the mega-regions again.
Old 04-10-17, 07:43 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
That's not exactly how CB works.

A non-public school gets to select one school as its designated feeder school, not a school district. For Central Catholic, St. Michael is the designated feeder school since it school sends the highest number of students (not a majority, mind you) to Central Catholic. For St. Thomas Aquinas, I would imagine their middle school is the designated feeder school. Anyone who has not been continuously enrolled in the designated feeder school since 7th grade is assessed some tier of multiplier. OneForTheRoad does bring up a good point about the timeline of when the middle school came into existence and how many St. Thomas Aquinas students would not have come through he middle school beginning in 7th grade. I have no idea if St. Thomas Aquinas asked the OHSAA for an exception in that case. End of the day, St. Thomas Aquinas is DVII for football no matter what, but it could have a greater impact on other sports since the Tier 2 multiplier is much larger in volleyball, baseball, basketball, softball, and soccer.

When CB was first discussed, the physical address of the school was expected to be the determining factor for which non-public school students would and would not be assessed a multiplier. Central Catholic might have been hurt even worse if it had to claim Perry Township as its home district and be assessed a multiplier for the rest. St. Thomas Aquinas would've been hurt worse if it had to claim Louisville City as its home district and be assessed a multiplier for the rest.
Slip, my description is exactly how CB works. Non-Public schools can have multiple feeders as long as the feeders are in the same 'attendance zone' of the selected public school district. To me 'attendance zone' is the same as the entire district as we are concerned only with the Catholic schools in the district.

From the Bylaw: http://www.ohsaa.org/Portals/0/Schoo...awLanguage.pdf
"For non-public member schools, Factors shall be assigned as follows:
—Tier 0 – the student attended the same system of education continuously since the beginning
of the 7th grade and attended one of the designated/assigned feeder schools continuously
since the beginning of 7th grade.
—Tier 1 – the student attended the same system of education continuously since the beginning
of 7th grade but did not attend one of the designated/assigned feeder schools continuously
"

From How to Determine Your Feeder School(s) for Non-Public Schools: http://www.ohsaa.org/Portals/0/Schoo...SchoolList.pdf

Physical School District Location of Feeder Schools for Competitive Balance
(Updated 9-8-16)
Feeder Schools, for the purposes of Competitive Balance, are the non-public school or schools (parishes
for parochial schools; schools from the same system of education for other private schools) located
within a designated or chosen public school district attendance zone. A high school can have multiple
feeder schools so long as they are located within the same public school district attendance zone,
and a
school(s) can serve as feeder schools for more than one high school simultaneously. If a non-public
member high school fails to choose a school district/attendance zone for its feeder school(s), the public
school attendance zone in which the non-public school is physically located will be assigned as that
school’s selected attendance zone.
As a reminder, feeder schools are considered to be from the Same System of Education as defined by the
Ohio Department of Education (i.e. Catholic Conference of Ohio, Ohio Association of Independent Schools,
Association of Christian Schools International, etc.). Therefore, if a Catholic non-public high school selects
an attendance zone with two parishes and one Montessori school physically located within that zone, the
Catholic non-public school will only be permitted to select the two parishes as its feeder schools

BTW, in my previous post I cleaned up the reference to Louisville/St Louis and changed the use of 'district' to 'attendance zone'.

Last edited by TriangleMan; 04-10-17 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-10-17, 09:05 AM
All World

Flood is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson03 View Post
Why would a private school be forced to select just one feeder school? That seems nonsensical. A kid at St. Mary's is the same as a kid at St. Michael's. I guess it's irrelevant as the desired effect was obtained (preventing a potential drop to D6)
Ironic because D6 would have been much more challenging this year. D5 is pretty empty this year.
Old 04-10-17, 09:59 AM
Freshman

GoZips is on a distinguished road
Mackinbiner: "With an adjustment to their enrollment of 38, Massillon is in the top 10 among all public schools in the state."

True, but on the basis of "percentage of total enrollment," Massillon ranks 113th among publics with an adjustment of just 8%. Your argument is skewed.

Contrast that with these adjustments:

(28) Steubenville - 13%
* rank among publics

(1) Toledo Central - 94%
(4) Lakewood St. Edward - 52%
(5) Cleveland Benedictine - 52%
(8) Akron St. Vincent - 49%
(10) Columbus Bishop Hartley - 47%
(10) Cincinnati Moeller - 47%
(14) Canton Central - 43%
(16) Akron Hoban - 42%
(17) Yng. Cardinal Mooney - 41%
* rank among privates
Old 04-10-17, 01:01 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoZips View Post
Mackinbiner: "With an adjustment to their enrollment of 38, Massillon is in the top 10 among all public schools in the state."

True, but on the basis of "percentage of total enrollment," Massillon ranks 113th among publics with an adjustment of just 8%. Your argument is skewed.
It was a statement of fact not an argument. Only 8 public schools in the state have a larger CB adjustment than Massillon.
Old 04-10-17, 01:16 PM
All District

OneForTheRoad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
Ironic because D6 would have been much more challenging this year. D5 is pretty empty this year.
Not surprising, D6 was more challenging in 2016 as well. D5 is and has been weaker the last few years.
Old 04-10-17, 01:23 PM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It was a statement of fact not an argument. Only 8 public schools in the state have a larger CB adjustment than Massillon.
Both are statements of facts dufus. A D1+30 vs. D7+30 are equal yet different.
Old 04-10-17, 02:00 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaw View Post
Both are statements of facts dufus. A D1+30 vs. D7+30 are equal yet different.
No, it was his OPINION that I was arguing about something. I was merely stating a fact.

However, it IS my opinion that it seems inappropriate for a school's football program to have somewhere between 19 and 38 kids that don't live in the school district, while at the same time, they like to portray themselves as "ONE TOWN, ONE TEAM."
Old 04-10-17, 02:14 PM
All American

Quote:
However, it IS my opinion that it seems inappropriate for a school's football program to have somewhere between 19 and 38 kids that don't live in the school district, while at the same time, they like to portray themselves as "ONE TOWN, ONE TEAM."
This is exactly why this system needs to be ditched. The OHSAA is making data public that shouldn't be public. High school football isn't important enough to allow people to be able to identify individual students for whatever purpose, which is exactly what is going to happen with this system.

Massillon recruits -- everyone in Stark County knows that. If they consistently run through D2, then force them back into D1 with a results-based competitive balance adjustment. They are not exactly making waves in D2, so let them run their ridiculous system if they want. Punish the coach, sanction the school if you want, but to start allowing this kind of debate to unfold where you can figure out exactly how many minors are from wherever is very unwise.
Old 04-10-17, 02:58 PM
All District

Starkbuck is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriangleMan View Post
Slip, my description is exactly how CB works. Non-Public schools can have multiple feeders as long as the feeders are in the same 'attendance zone' of the selected public school district. To me 'attendance zone' is the same as the entire district as we are concerned only with the Catholic schools in the district.

From the Bylaw: http://www.ohsaa.org/Portals/0/Schoo...awLanguage.pdf
"For non-public member schools, Factors shall be assigned as follows:
—Tier 0 – the student attended the same system of education continuously since the beginning
of the 7th grade and attended one of the designated/assigned feeder schools continuously
—Tier 1 – the student attended the same system of education continuously since the beginning
of 7th grade but did not attend one of the designated/assigned feeder schools continuously
"

From How to Determine Your Feeder School(s) for Non-Public Schools: http://www.ohsaa.org/Portals/0/Schoo...SchoolList.pdf

Physical School District Location of Feeder Schools for Competitive Balance
(Updated 9-8-16)
Feeder Schools, for the purposes of Competitive Balance, are the non-public school or schools (parishes
for parochial schools; schools from the same system of education for other private schools) located
within a designated or chosen public school district attendance zone. A high school can have multiple
feeder schools so long as they are located within the same public school district attendance zone,
and a
school(s) can serve as feeder schools for more than one high school simultaneously. If a non-public
member high school fails to choose a school district/attendance zone for its feeder school(s), the public
school attendance zone in which the non-public school is physically located will be assigned as that
school’s selected attendance zone.
As a reminder, feeder schools are considered to be from the Same System of Education as defined by the
Ohio Department of Education (i.e. Catholic Conference of Ohio, Ohio Association of Independent Schools,
Association of Christian Schools International, etc.). Therefore, if a Catholic non-public high school selects
an attendance zone with two parishes and one Montessori school physically located within that zone, the
Catholic non-public school will only be permitted to select the two parishes as its feeder schools

BTW, in my previous post I cleaned up the reference to Louisville/St Louis and changed the use of 'district' to 'attendance zone'.
You are correct, but what two feeder schools are in the same school district to fit this description? I think what Slip is saying is that CCC was forced to choose St. Michael's, and wisely so, because of the number of students enrolled at the school. However, the majority of the football team is NOT made up of St. Michael's students, but across all sports that is not the case. However, in your scenario, you are proposing that two different schools can be designated feeders IF they are both within the same district. However, all of the Stark County Catholic schools, Holy Cross Academy, are in different districts. So, in essence, you are both saying the same thing.
Old 04-10-17, 03:03 PM
All Ohio

The Veer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
This is exactly why this system needs to be ditched. The OHSAA is making data public that shouldn't be public. High school football isn't important enough to allow people to be able to identify individual students for whatever purpose, which is exactly what is going to happen with this system.

Massillon recruits -- everyone in Stark County knows that. If they consistently run through D2, then force them back into D1 with a results-based competitive balance adjustment. They are not exactly making waves in D2, so let them run their ridiculous system if they want. Punish the coach, sanction the school if you want, but to start allowing this kind of debate to unfold where you can figure out exactly how many minors are from wherever is very unwise.
Old 04-10-17, 06:21 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkbuck View Post
You are correct, but what two feeder schools are in the same school district to fit this description? I think what Slip is saying is that CCC was forced to choose St. Michael's, and wisely so, because of the number of students enrolled at the school. However, the majority of the football team is NOT made up of St. Michael's students, but across all sports that is not the case. However, in your scenario, you are proposing that two different schools can be designated feeders IF they are both within the same district. However, all of the Stark County Catholic schools, Holy Cross Academy, are in different districts. So, in essence, you are both saying the same thing.
St Mary and St Barbara are in the Massillon City zone, and Christ the Servant (fka OLOP) and St Michael are in the Plain Local zone. All other Stark County districts contain no more than one Catholic elementary.

Now, OLOP is now a K-5, and St Barbara is a K-7 heading back to a K-8. So if Plain Local was selected, any CC roster members that were at OLOP in grades 7-8 (and didn't go to STA) would be a Tier 0 along with the St Michael kids.

If the demographics shift someday, maybe they select Massillon City as the zone.
Old 04-10-17, 06:46 PM
All District

FootballCrazy1 is on a distinguished road
Recruits ??

Quote:

Ok name the recruits ? Don't use the coaches kid because that's been handled, but who was recruited ? I'm Interested to know. By the way 38 doesn't mean 38 kids, any Kid who lives in Canton city counts as 2, so I don't think there are as many as you think. Taking Canton city kids at Perry cost us from being D2 to D1. It is what it is I guess
Old 04-10-17, 08:16 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkbuck View Post
Honestly, I was attempting to say something different than TriangleMan based on the little Competitive Balance 101 "cheat sheet" the OHSAA has on its website:

Non-Public Schools - Determining Tiers
Note: For non-public schools, it does not matter where the student and his/her parents currently reside.
Ask: “Has the student maintained continuous enrollment in the same system of education since 7th grade?”
If No: Enter this student as a Tier 2.
If Yes, Ask: “Did the student attend your designated feeder school since the start of 7th grade and, if he/she did not enter the high school at the beginning of 9th grade, has he/she maintained continuous enrollment in the same system of education?”
If Yes: Enter this student as a Tier 0. If No: Enter this student as a Tier 1.

The language on the "cheat sheet" implies that each non-public can designate 1 school as its feeder school. That language is different than what TriangleMan found in the bylaws. What he found in the bylaws is also mentioned in the OHSAA's competitive balance packet found here:

http://www.ohsaa.org/Portals/0/Schoo...cket082416.pdf

From page 10:
What is a Feeder School?
(For Non-Public School Application Only)
} The non-public school or schools (parishes for parochial
schools; schools from the same system of education for
other private schools) physically located within a
designated or chosen public school district attendance
zone.
} A non-public high school can have multiple feeder
schools so long as they are all physically located within
the same public school district attendance zone, and a
school or schools can serve as feeder schools for more
than one high school simultaneously.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That was not mentioned on the "cheat sheet" and is much different.

Obviously, what needs to happen is Holy Cross Academy needs to turn St. Joan of Arc into a middle school to serve the entire CCHS feeder system.
CCHS can take Perry as its designated district, and then CCHS wouldn't be assessed a multiplier for any Catholic kids from the western side of the county. The other option is leave things as they are now and have all the feeder school kids enroll at St. Michael starting in 7th grade.

As for any kids that enroll out of the public junior highs (yes, there are a few), I can't help you there.
Old 04-10-17, 08:23 PM
Varsity

THE OWNER is an unknown quantity at this point
Wonder why nobody is questioning that Glenoak has a ZERO. When their are multiple kids from Canton City on that team.
Old 04-10-17, 08:45 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE OWNER View Post
Wonder why nobody is questioning that Glenoak has a ZERO. When their are multiple kids from Canton City on that team.
Much of GlenOak's school district is IN the city of Canton. That may be why.
Old 04-10-17, 09:13 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
Obviously, what needs to happen is Holy Cross Academy needs to turn St. Joan of Arc into a middle school to serve the entire CCHS feeder system.
CCHS can take Perry as its designated district, and then CCHS wouldn't be assessed a multiplier for any Catholic kids from the western side of the county. The other option is leave things as they are now and have all the feeder school kids enroll at St. Michael starting in 7th grade.
I had similar thoughts, and I'm sure we're not the only ones across Ohio in an area similar to Stark County, where the Catholic elementary schools are spread out, thinking like "Hmmm. What if we built multiple middle schools in one large district, but placed them at the extremes of the district to pull from the neighboring districts?" Keeping Plain Local as an example, put one up at the Edgewood Campus (pull from St Paul and OLOP), put one down on Woodlawn by Aultman (pull from St Michael and St Joan of Arc (the eastern portion)).
Old 04-10-17, 09:28 PM
All Yappi

y2h is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Hi snowflake.

Competition is that important.
Old 04-10-17, 09:37 PM
All World

BIG ED is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Also, glad to see Perry bumped up to D1. Disappointed Hoover dropped to D2. Really hope they don't do the mega-regions again.
Why would you be happy? Jealous of the Panthers recent success?
Old 04-10-17, 09:47 PM
All Yappi

y2h is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED View Post
For Jackson computer points potential...hence disappointed in Hoover's drop.
Old 04-11-17, 12:16 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED View Post
Huh? I'm happy because it's the big dance, so to speak. I liked the old days of all the big schools in Stark County being in D1 and meeting in the playoffs. There were a lot of great games in the 90s and 2000s, and Perry was part of a lot of them. Same reason it would be nice if Hoover stayed D1, and the same reason I didn't like it when Massillon dropped to D2. Maybe you ought to relax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2h View Post
<y2h nonsensical ramblings>
Bored today, dude?