Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > Elder Panthers

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-29-17, 09:10 AM
All American

ElderHSfan02 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ElderHSfan02
2018 Football Schedule

We need to hire someone part-time who has 1 job and 1 job only - to creatively put the football schedule together. We need to play the system and get some harbin cows like other schools get. What happened this year can never happen again.

St. Xavier
Moeller
Lasalle

We have 7 more games to schedule. Playing a St. Edward, St. Ignatius is fine, but we have to have 5 other games against good teams but not super powers.

Lincoln was a great get.

ISB has to be eliminated from the schedule. It is better to have a bye than play that game. If you are going to have 1 cupcake game on the schedule, you might as well put Western Hills back on the schedule. West Hi is a Division 1 school so they get full harbin points for the win and they usually win at least 2 games against other weaker CPS schools.

I would also eliminate Oak Hills from the schedule. Too much bad blood. Because of their GMC schedule, they likely will never win more than 2 games a year. They do not appear to be turning the program around any time in the near future.

We need to look at some of the decent Indiana and Kentucky schools again.

Roncalli and Cov Cath would be high on my list to get back on the schedule.
Old 10-29-17, 09:44 AM
All Yappi

PURPLE REIGN is on a distinguished road
Elder can only play teams willing to play them.

For20 years Elder has been playing games against out of state Harbin cows. This is the first year things all went the wrong direction. It sucks. Sh!t happens. Life's not always fair.
Old 10-29-17, 09:52 AM
All Yappi

Descartes has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElderHSfan02 View Post
We need to hire someone part-time who has 1 job and 1 job only - to creatively put the football schedule together. We need to play the system and get some harbin cows like other schools get. What happened this year can never happen again.

St. Xavier
Moeller
Lasalle

We have 7 more games to schedule. Playing a St. Edward, St. Ignatius is fine, but we have to have 5 other games against good teams but not super powers.

Lincoln was a great get.

ISB has to be eliminated from the schedule. It is better to have a bye than play that game. If you are going to have 1 cupcake game on the schedule, you might as well put Western Hills back on the schedule. West Hi is a Division 1 school so they get full harbin points for the win and they usually win at least 2 games against other weaker CPS schools.

I would also eliminate Oak Hills from the schedule. Too much bad blood. Because of their GMC schedule, they likely will never win more than 2 games a year. They do not appear to be turning the program around any time in the near future.

We need to look at some of the decent Indiana and Kentucky schools again.

Roncalli and Cov Cath would be high on my list to get back on the schedule.
From what I can gather this is what we have so far:

Skyline game
Open
Lincoln
Eds
@ignatius
X
@Moe
WW
Open
LS

The week 9 open date is a killer. Perhaps they could work something out with Ignatius or Eds to swap that date?
Old 10-29-17, 10:40 AM
All World

FinalWord is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PURPLE REIGN View Post

For20 years Elder has been playing games against out of state Harbin cows. This is the first year things all went the wrong direction. It sucks. Sh!t happens. Life's not always fair.
Somehow St. X is able to figure it out and put a good schedule together every year. Itís time to start looking harder in Indiana (Chatard, Cathedral, Warren Cenreal etc) or Kentucky with Trinity, St. X, CovCath, Scott County. In Ohio, give Centerville a call or some of the Columbus area schools.

Espelage really needs to figure this out as I truly believe that Elder is a top 10 team in the State this year and to have Fairfield, West Clermont, Milford, Moeller etc in the playoffs this year with Elder sitting home is a travesty.
Old 10-29-17, 10:49 AM
All American

The problem is the GMC plays 8 league games. That is crazy. That eliminates 10 big school Cincinnati teams from scheduling Elder in weeks 3 through 10. The ECC(milford, west clermont) plays a slightly less ridiculous 7 league games. Again, that eliminates 10 teams from being able to schedule Elder in weeks 4 through 10.

We are very lucky to have a good team in Winton Woods to play that is not in a league.

I agree. We need to look harder at the Indianpolis and Kentucky schools. I'd only add Trinity if we took away Ed's or Ignatius. A hard schedule within reason is what we need.
Old 10-29-17, 10:50 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by PURPLE REIGN View Post

Agreed, but ISB just has to go. They are so bad they can at best win 1 game and they are classified as a D7 game. If we are in a contract with them, just make it an exhibition game.
Old 10-29-17, 11:00 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinalWord View Post
Somehow St. X is able to figure it out and put a good schedule together every year. Itís time to start looking harder in Indiana (Chatard, Cathedral, Warren Cenreal etc) or Kentucky with Trinity, St. X, CovCath, Scott County. In Ohio, give Centerville a call or some of the Columbus area schools.

Espelage really needs to figure this out as I truly believe that Elder is a top 10 team in the State this year and to have Fairfield, West Clermont, Milford, Moeller etc in the playoffs this year with Elder sitting home is a travesty.
They've got 2 open weeks, 2 and 9. Week 2 should be easier to fill, but E might have to bite the bullet and play 9 games.
Old 10-29-17, 12:44 PM
All Yappi

I think bc this situation is so jarring, there's an impulse to re-invent the wheel in terms of scheduling. We have to remember, the odds of everything occurring this week, were minimal.

Of course, it would be nice to find some balance b/w the GCL, Eds, Ignatius, and OH, West, Broward, but Elder has no leverage when scheduling games. Personally, I'd be ok if they just filled week 2 with a 4-5 win team, and left week 9 open.
Old 10-29-17, 02:13 PM
Forced Holiday

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Any dates on the 2018 schedule yet?
Old 10-29-17, 04:26 PM
All American

Pantherontheporch is on a distinguished road
From 2012-2016, Oak Hills went 5-5, 5-5, 2-8, 1-9, and 4-6. So they havenít been consistently horrible by any means. If the series continues, hopefully they can start winning a few games every season again. After all, one Highlander win this season would have been enough for the Panthers to play next week.
Other schools find a Canadian team to schedule. If Elder can make it worthwhile for ISB to visit, surely it can do the same for one of the better teams north of the border to do so. Make them an offer they canít refuse. If need be, outbid an Ohio school and snatch that game away from them; allís fair in capitalism. Raise ticket prices a buck to cover the added costs; if it means being able to schedule a Harbin cow and not finish in ninth place, Iíll start saving my pennies and pony up next summer, and I think most fans will, too.
Old 10-29-17, 07:29 PM
All American

Vincent and Regina is on a distinguished road
I would end the Eds contract, They recruit heavy in Cleveland and are the same as LaSalle and Louisville Trinity. They aren't worth scheduling if they aren't playing by the same rules.

I would go after Indiana schools and some Kentucky Schools. What hurt Elder this year is that we had some duds on the schedule (West and Oak Hills) along with too many common opponents with Moeller, (5). We need decent teams with non-common opponents. This is easier said than done.

The GMC members remind me of that kid when you were younger that it was their way or the highway. They want to go around thinking they are big and bad, but for the most part they get smacked around when they play with the big boys.

I would look at getting Clinton Massie on the schedule. I would offer a bunch of money to some NKY schools.
Old 10-29-17, 07:40 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent and Regina View Post
I would end the Eds contract, They recruit heavy in Cleveland and are the same as LaSalle and Louisville Trinity. They aren't worth scheduling if they aren't playing by the same rules.
I'm sick of that excuse and that line of thinking needs to end. If Elder wants to be a state power again, they've got to beat those teams (LS and Eds). Elder needs to market themselves better to non feeders, but they don't have to comp their tuition. There's stories of kids like Estep from Reading, Pastoriza from West Chester, or Winner from Fairfield, who never thought of going to Elder until someone put the idea in their head to go to the Open House and Shadow. Just get these kids on campus. You don't need to roll out the red carpet for them, but let them know they can be part of the experience.
Old 10-29-17, 07:43 PM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
From what I can gather this is what we have so far:

Skyline game
Open
Lincoln
Eds
@ignatius
X
@Moe
WW
Open
LS

The week 9 open date is a killer. Perhaps they could work something out with Ignatius or Eds to swap that date?
No chance. St Ignatius plays St X and St Eds the final two weeks, St Edward plays Moeller and St Ignatius. Best bet would be to try and get WW to Week 9 instead or leave it as an open date.
Old 10-29-17, 07:50 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
No chance. St Ignatius plays St X and St Eds the final two weeks, St Edward plays Moeller and St Ignatius. Best bet would be to try and get WW to Week 9 instead or leave it as an open date.
I think WW will be playing DeSales week 9. They were a good opponent for Elder way back in '09, wish they could've kept some kind of deal with them.

IDK, there's no easy answer. If you add another dud it does you no good, but adding another power in state or out of state, is too much to ask of a team that's playing the GCL, Eds, Ignatius, and Winton Woods.

This whole situation is a fluke. There's no need to completely tear down the schedule.
Old 10-30-17, 07:02 AM
Forced Holiday

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent and Regina View Post
Old 10-30-17, 08:00 AM
All Yappi

I'm with Pboy on this one, the schedule is tough but it isn't the problem. Typically this same schedule with the same W-L record for Elder gets them near the middle of the playoff qualifiers (#3-#6 pending their wins). Put me in the camp that thinks we could use West Hi back as opposed to ISB, but that would be the only change. Oak Hills isn't going 0-10 every year, but it's likely they win anywhere from 3-5 games a season. If they're willing to keep playing, I think you keep that game. It's already going to be hard enough to find a game Week 9.
Old 10-30-17, 08:04 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Elder is 2-2 against the Eagles the last 4 seasons. I believe the all-time series is tied or has one team ahead by a game. It's been a good series to have and I can't see this one stopping. I wouldn't be surprised if St Ignatius ends after next year.
Old 10-30-17, 01:17 PM
All Yappi

EHS 2001 is on a distinguished road
As it was reported many times recently, Elder will not play International School of Broward in the future. The Pumas will reportedly play LaSalle in 2018.

Also the last I heard—which was back around week 2–the series against Oak Hills is not ending.
Old 10-30-17, 01:23 PM
All Region

ELDERfbfan is on a distinguished road
Can we somehow get ISB to play Oak hills that way OH may actually get a W next year.

Any word on who will potentially replace ISB next season, I assume there are talks with other teams for future season well in advance.

What about the week 1 contest, still LW in 2018?
Old 10-30-17, 01:39 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHS 2001 View Post
As it was reported many times recently, Elder will not play International School of Broward in the future. The Pumas will reportedly play LaSalle in 2018.

Also the last I heardówhich was back around week 2Ėthe series against Oak Hills is not ending.
Then that would only leave Week 9 open for 2018. After next yr, Ignatius and Lincoln drop off.
Old 10-30-17, 01:45 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELDERfbfan View Post
Can we somehow get ISB to play Oak hills that way OH may actually get a W next year.

Any word on who will potentially replace ISB next season, I assume there are talks with other teams for future season well in advance.

What about the week 1 contest, still LW in 2018?
West was part of the Skyline Event, doubt they play again. Wouldn't be surprised if they had to go out of state to get next year's opponent.
Old 10-30-17, 08:18 PM
All American

Vincent and Regina is on a distinguished road
I did not think the Lincoln or Ignatius games were home and homes.
Old 10-30-17, 09:12 PM
All Yappi

EHS 2001 is on a distinguished road
For what it's worth Gahanna Lincoln is listed by the OHSAA as having week 2 open in 2018 and 2019. Centerville has week 3 in 2018 open and is actually willing to play an away game. http://www.ohsaa.org/OpenDates#203351-football
Old 10-31-17, 06:26 AM
All District

superduper is on a distinguished road
Skyline Crosstown Showdown

......Is this even going to happen anymore now that they can't play any games at UC?
Old 10-31-17, 07:52 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduper View Post
......Is this even going to happen anymore now that they can't play any games at UC?
Well a week before the season they actually changed the ruling on it, but the games had already been moved. Several people were saying that was the final year of the Showdown well before the games were pulled from UC. If it is, hopefully something similar replaces it, because Elder it was extremely beneficial to Elder, even if teams could duck them in it still.
Old 10-31-17, 08:07 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
For what it's worth Gahanna Lincoln is listed by the OHSAA as having week 2 open in 2018 and 2019. Centerville has week 3 in 2018 open and is actually willing to play an away game. http://www.ohsaa.org/OpenDates#203351-football
Suggesting move Lincoln to week 2 and
Old 10-31-17, 09:25 AM
All District

superduper is on a distinguished road
I totally agree it was beneficial to Elder.......one less week to fill on schedule.....plus it was fun to listen to the teams that pulled Elder as an opponent whine, like LW this year.......
Old 10-31-17, 10:12 AM
All American

trey2k is an unknown quantity at this point
It was a good event for Elder, but it probably is time to end the event. It had a good run.

Maybe rehash something a little different in a few years.
Old 10-31-17, 10:17 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
Suggesting move Lincoln to week 2 and
I assume you're end to this was call Centerville for Week 3. I would even take Gahanna week 2 at home next year and return a trip to them in Week 2 for 2019 if it gave some flexibility, though as EHS said Oak Hills is likely still slated for Week 2.
Old 10-31-17, 10:31 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
OH is still going to be bad next year, potentially worse, they lose their only good player in Woyke.