Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-23-19, 01:55 PM
ohiopup ohiopup is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-07-01
Location: Grove City
Posts: 8,598
ohiopup is on a distinguished road
Massillon Basketball & Paul Brown

This question was asked on the Football Board...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali_Eagle View Post
...
Something else I have wondered is: How did the Tigers do at basketball during the years that
Paul Brown was the HC in that sport? I would guess they did well but I don't know.
(I should add that I give credence to Poll Titles in a way that most that post here do not. My post
above is legitimate questions and shouldn't be construed as piling on or anti-Massillon, or pro-

McKinley either for that matter).


Paul Brown & Massillon Basketball

Paul Brown's first year as varsity basketball coach at Massillon Washington was 1934
How bare was the cupboard? Well in 1933 coach Hal Smith got the Tigers to the State
Semi-finals before they lost to eventual Champion Dover; the coach of the Tornadoes,
Herman 'Bup' Rearick, yeah that one, he would be at McKinley in 1939.

Brown coached the 1940 Tiger football team to an undefeated season but did not coach
the 1941 Tiger basketball team (Brown had been lured away to Ohio State). The round ball
job fell to Bud Houghton; Brown handed down a good core, Houghton led them to a Final-4
berth in the OHSAA tournament.

(Information contained here-in was garnered from Massillon year books (via classmates.com),
cantonmckinley.com, The Massillon Independent, Columbus Dispatch, Columbus Citizen Journal,
OHSAA.com, and The Canton Repository. All content thru printed copies, scanned, or microfilm; -
Special thanks to Charles Bowersox (RIP), Dave Stevenson, Scott Caster, Michael T. George and
Yappi members 'Maxie' and 'Mr. Slippery' who secured data from The Massillon Independent.)


The Paul Brown Basketball Years

===

1934 Reg-Sea 10-7
- - Tournament 1-1
~ Final record 11-8

===

1935 Reg-Sea 8-9
- - Tournament 1-1
~ Final record 9-10

===

1936 Reg-Sea 14-2
- - Tournament 1-1
~ Final record 15-3

notes:
- - N.E.O. Big Six League Champions
- - members: (Massillon, Barberton, Alliance, Salem, Struthers, Niles)

===

1937 Reg-Sea 15-1
- - Tournament 7-1
- - Made it to Sweet-16 ~ State Tournament (thru Akron NEO)
- - Made it to Elite-8 ~
- - Made it to Final-4
- - Defeated Can.McKinley 33-28 in State Semi-Final game
- - - - McKinley to Sweet-16 (thru Youngstown NEO)
- - Lost 32-37 to Hamilton in State Championship game
- - OHSAA State Runner-up
~ Final record 22-2

notes:
- - N.E.O. Big Six League Champions
- - Tigers tournament scores in Columbus
- - - Massillon 42 / 22 Newark
- - - Massillon 30 / 23 Ashland
- - - Massillon 33 / 28 McKinley
- - - Massillon 32 / 37 Hamilton
- - All-Tournament team (Mass) Jack Buttermore, Ernie Edwards, Bob Herman

===

1938 Reg-Sea 12-3
- - Tournament 0-1 (lost to Ak.East)
Final record 12-4

note: Massillon had defeated Ak.East in the regular season 35-26

notes:
~ Defeated Newark (43 - 30)
~ split 2 game series with New Philadelphia (34 - 26 / 30 - 36 )
~ (Newark defeated New Philadelphia 28-27 for OHSAA State Championship)
Both Newark and New Philadelphia each had only 1 loss entering the tournament; to Massillon

===

1939 Reg-Sea 12-5
- - Tournament 5-1
- - Made it to Sweet-16 ~ State Tournament (thru Akron NEO)
- - Made it to Elite-8 ~ Lost 34-37 to Bellefontaine
- - - (today this would be the Regional-Title game)
- - - All-Tournament Team: (Mass) Paul Herman
~ Final record 17-6

===

1940 Reg-Sea 12-5
- Tournament 5-1
- - Made it to Sweet-16 ~ State Tournament (thru Akron NEO)
- - Made it to Elite-8
- - Made it to Final-4
- - Lost 14-46 to Can.McKinley in State Semi-Final
- - All-Tournament Team: (Mass) Horace Gillom

~ Final record 17-6

* McKinley to Sweet-16 (thru Youngstown NEO)

===

1941 Reg-Sea 10-3

Brown hired as the head football coach at Ohio State and did not complete
the Massillon basketball season. (football)

~ Final record 10-3

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Paul Brown (8 years as Massillon basketball coach)
- Sweet-16 ~ 3 times (1937 / 1939 / 1940 )
- Elite-8 ~ 3 times (1937 / 1939 / 1940 )
- Final-4 ~ 2 times (1937 / 1940 )
- State Runnerup 1 ( 1937 )

-- YEAR -- REG / TUR / TOT
'34 record 10-7 / 1-1 / 11- 8
'35 record _8-9 / 1-1 / _9-10
'36 record 14-2 / 1-1 / 15- 3
'37 record 15-1 / 7-1 / 22- 2
'38 record 12-3 / 0-1 / 12- 4
'39 record 12-5 / 5-1 / 17- 6
'40 record 12-5 / 5-1 / 17- 6
'41 record 10-3 / 0-0 / 10- 3 *
-------------------------------
8 seasons 93-35 / 20-7 / 113-42 (155 games)
Over-all record 113-42 .729

* Brown coached the 1st 13 games of the season before leaving to take
over the Ohio State football job.

- - - - -

Paul Brown vs: McKinley 1937 ~ 1941

R=Reg.Sea. / T=Tourn.

Year : Tigers ~ Bulldogs

(McK Coach: James 'Jimmy' Aiken)
1934 : .R. 18 - 36
1934 : .R. 23 - 19

(McK Coach: Paul Bixler)
1935 : .R. 22 - 29
1935 : .R. 19 - 30

1936 : .R. 18 - 44
1936 : .R. 31 - 29

(McK Coach: John Reed)
1937 : .R. 29 - 39
1937 : .R. 44 - 33
1937 : .T. 33 - 28 ~ State Semi-Final

1938 : .R. 30 - 37
1938 : .R. 27 - 40

(McK Coach: Herman 'Bup' Rearick)
1939 : .R. 26 - 17
1939 : .R. 36 - 31

1940 : .R. 20 - 30
1940 : .R. 38 - 40 1-OT
1940 : .T. 14 - 46 ~ State Semi-Final

1941 : .R. 23 - 24
1941 : .R. 28 - 41

P.B. vs: McK Coaches
Brown 1 / 1 Aiken
Brown 1 / 3 Bixler
Brown 2 / 3 Reed
Brown 2 / 5 Rearick

18 games
Reg.Sea. Tiger wins 5 / 11 Bulldog wins
Tourn. Tiger wins 1 / 1 Bulldog wins
Over-all Tigers 6 / 12 Bulldogs

:>---

SF

Last edited by ohiopup; 04-25-19 at 08:10 AM. Reason: updated w/all corrections (hopefully)
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 04-23-19, 02:02 PM
ohiopup ohiopup is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-07-01
Location: Grove City
Posts: 8,598
ohiopup is on a distinguished road
Interesting stories on the 1940 Massillon vs: McKinley tournament game.
I'll post them later.

:>---

EGA
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-23-19, 03:23 PM
Maxie Maxie is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-25-03
Location: Ohioís #1 Winneró-#885
Posts: 6,911
Maxie can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiopup View Post
This question was asked on the Football Board...





Paul Brown & Massillon Basketball

Paul Brown's first year as varsity basketball coach at Massillon Washington was 1934
How bare was the cupboard? Well in 1933 coch Hal Smith got the Tigers to the State
Semi-finals before they lost to eventual Champion Dover; the coach of the Tornados,
Herman 'Bup' Rearick, yeah that one, he would be at McKinley in 1939.

Brown coached the 1940 Tiger football team to an undefeated season but did not coach
the 1941 Tiger basketball team (Brown had been lured away to Ohio State). The round ball
job fell to Bud Houghton; Brown handed down a good core, Houghton led them to a Final-4
berth in the OHSAA tournament.

(Information contained here-in was garned from Massillon year books (via classmates.com),
cantonmckinley.com, The Massillon Independent, Columbus Dispatch, Columbus Citizen Journal,
OHSAA.com, and The Canton Repository. All content thru printed copies, scanned, or microfilm; -
Special thanks to Charles Bowersox (RIP), Dave Stevenson, Scott Caster, Michael T. George and
Yappi member 'Mr. Slippery' who secured data from The Massillon Independent.)


The Paul Brown Basketball Years

===

1934 Reg-Sea 10-7
- - Tournament 1-1
~ Final record 11-8

===

1935 Reg-Sea 8-9
- - Tournament 1-1
~ Final record 9-10

===

1936 Reg-Sea 14-2
- - Tournament 1-1
~ Final record 15-3

notes:
- - N.E.O. Big Six League Champions
- - members: (Massillon, Barberton, Alliance, Salem, Struthers, Niles)

===

1937 Reg-Sea 14-1
- - Tournament 7-1
- - Made it to Sweet-16 ~ State Tournament (thru Akron NEO)
- - Made it to Elite-8 ~
- - Made it to Final-4
- - Defeated Can.McKinley 33-28 in State Semi-Final game
- - - - McKinley to Sweet-16 (thru Youngstown NEO)
- - Lost 32-37 to Hamilton in State Championship game
- - OHSAA State Runner-up
~ Final record 21-2

notes:
- - N.E.O. Big Six League Champions
- - Tigers tournament scores in Columbus
- - - Massillon 42 / 22 Newark
- - - Massillon 30 / 23 Ashland
- - - Massillon 33 / 28 McKinley
- - - Massillon 32 / 37 Hamilton
- - All-Tournament team (Mass) Jack Buttermore, Ernie Edwards, Bob Herman

===

1938 Reg-Sea 12-3
- - Tournament 0-1 (lost to Ak.East)
Final record 12-4

note: Massillon had defeated Ak.East in the regular season 35-26

notes:
~ Defeated Newark (43 - 30)
~ split 2 game series with New Philadelphia (34 - 26 / 30 - 36 )
~ (Newark defeated New Philadelphia 28-27 for OHSAA State Championship)
Both Newark and New Philadelphia each had only 1 loss entering the tournament; to Massillon

===

1939 Reg-Sea 12-5
- - Tournament 5-1
- - Made it to Sweet-16 ~ State Tournament (thru Akron NEO)
- - Made it to Elite-8 ~ Lost 34-37 to Bellefontaine
- - - (today this would be the Regional-Title game)
- - - All-Tournament Team: (Mass) Paul Herman
~ Final record 17-6

===

1940 Reg-Sea 10-5
- Tournament 5-1
- - Made it to Sweet-16 ~ State Tournament (thru Akron NEO)
- - Made it to Elite-8
- - Made it to Final-4
- - Lost 14-46 to Can.McKinley in State Semi-Final
- - All-Tournament Team: (Mass) Horace Gillom

~ Final record 15-6

* McKinley to Sweet-16 (thru Youngstown NEO)

===

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Paul Brown (7 years as Massillon basketball coach)
- Sweet-16 ~ 3 times (1937 / 1939 / 1940 )
- Elite-8 ~ 3 times (1937 / 1939 / 1940 )
- Final-4 ~ 2 times (1937 / 1940 )
- State Runnerup 1 ( 1937 )

-- YEAR -- REG / TUR / TOT
'34 record 10-7 / 1-1 / 11- 8
'35 record _8-9 / 1-1 / _9-10
'36 record 14-2 / 1-1 / 15- 3
'37 record 14-1 / 7-1 / 21- 2
'38 record 12-3 / 0-1 / 12- 4
'39 record 12-5 / 5-1 / 17- 6
'40 record 10-5 / 5-1 / 15- 6
-------------------------------
7 seasons 80-32 / 20-7 / 100-39
Over-all record 100-39 .719

- - - - -

Paul Brown vs: McKinley 1937 ~ 1940

R=Reg.Sea. / T=Tourn.

Year : Tigers ~ Bulldogs

(McK Coach: James 'Jimmy' Aiken)
1934 : .R. 18 - 36
1934 : .R. 23 - 19

(McK Coach: Paul Bixler)
1935 : .R. 22 - 29
1935 : .R. 19 - 30

1936 : .R. 18 - 44
1936 : .R. 31 - 29

(McK Coach: John Reed)
1937 : .R. 29 - 39
1937 : .R. 44 - 33
1937 : .T. 33 - 28 ~ State Semi-Final

1938 : .R. 30 - 37
1938 : .R. 27 - 40

(McK Coach: Herman 'Bup' Rearick)
1939 : .R. 26 - 17
1939 : .R. 36 - 31

1940 : .R. 20 - 30
1940 : .R. 38 - 40 1-OT
1940 : .T. 14 - 46 ~ State Semi-Final

P.B. vs: McK Coaches
Brown 1 / 1 Aiken
Brown 1 / 3 Bixler
Brown 2 / 3 Reed
Brown 2 / 3 Rearick

18 games
Reg.Sea. Tiger wins 5 / 11 Bulldog wins
Tourn. Tiger wins 1 / 1 Bulldog wins
Over-all Tigers 6 / 12 Bulldogs

:>---

SF

Paul Brown coached basketball at WHS for SIX years:
1933-34 11-8
1934-35 9-10
1935-36 15-3
1936-37 22-2
1937-38 12-4
1938-39 17-6

TOTAL 86-33

FYI: Hugh McGranahan coached the Tigers for the 1939-40 season, going 17-6 and for the 1940-41 season going 17-5.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-23-19, 05:10 PM
ohiopup ohiopup is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-07-01
Location: Grove City
Posts: 8,598
ohiopup is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie View Post
Paul Brown coached basketball at WHS for SIX years:
1933-34 11-8
1934-35 9-10
1935-36 15-3
1936-37 22-2
1937-38 12-4
1938-39 17-6

TOTAL 86-33

FYI: Hugh McGranahan coached the Tigers for the 1939-40 season, going 17-6 and for the 1940-41 season going 17-5.
https://www.ohsaa.org/Portals/0/Spor...sults/1940.pdf

https://www.ohsaa.org/Portals/0/Spor...sults/1941.pdf

:>---

ega
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-23-19, 07:27 PM
Maxie Maxie is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-25-03
Location: Ohioís #1 Winneró-#885
Posts: 6,911
Maxie can only hope to improve


VERY INTERESTING! Our records donít indicate that information. I will check into it. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-23-19, 10:57 PM
Mr. Slippery's Avatar
Mr. Slippery Mr. Slippery is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 02-05-07
Location: Slippery Rock
Posts: 19,155
Mr. Slippery will become famous soon enough
A little digging in the local fishwrap archives indicate some fine-tuning of Brown's history as Massillon basketball coach is needed for both accounts listed above.

According to the Independent archives: A write-up in the Inde on Feb. 6, 1941 the day before Brown's final basketball game against McKinley listed him as: 6-11 against the Bulldogs in basketball (the result of the final meeting left him 6-12 overall in hoops which is what Ohiopup has), 6-3 in football, and 1-0 in track and field.

Ohiopup, you have him as 6-12 overall, but when you add up his record vs. each McKinley coach, I only see a 6-10 record. It appears you don't have the results from the '40-'41 season listed.

Maxie, McGranahan coached the reserve basketball team in '39-'40 and '40-'41 and then departured for OSU as part of Brown's coaching staff. Brown coached the varsity and was assisted by Carroll Widdoes and Bill Rohr in '39-'40. Brown prepared the team for the '40-'41 season and coached all the games until Houghton was handed the reins in February, but much of the day-to-day duties were delegated to Widdoes and Rohr while Brown was busy preparing to take over at OSU (his official 1st day at OSU was March 1, 1941). Bud Houghton took over the basketball team in February for the last 3.5 games of the regular season (2nd half at Akron East, at Alliance, Mansfield, and at Warren Harding) plus the tournament. Houghton, Knowlton, and Rohr were named to the varsity staff with Elwood Kammer as the reserve coach for the '41-'42 season. I have not looked beyond the end of the '40-'41 season to see if any of them were drafted into the military before the '41-'42 season began. The newspaper made note of that possibility when the men were named to the staff for the '41-'42 season.


In addition to Brown's 1-0 coaching record against McKinley in track and field, Brown placed in the pole vault as a schoolboy at the 1926 state track meet.
https://www.ohsaa.org/Portals/0/Spor...ys/TF_1926.pdf

Last edited by Mr. Slippery; 04-24-19 at 06:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-23-19, 10:58 PM
shoprat2 shoprat2 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 08-25-10
Posts: 311
shoprat2 is on a distinguished road
Interesting. Stuff like this is a reason to follow yappi. Good job
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-24-19, 05:25 AM
ohiopup ohiopup is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-07-01
Location: Grove City
Posts: 8,598
ohiopup is on a distinguished road
As usual; a little (BIG) tweaking and corrections need to be made.

Back later...I got to get some AM eats and then off to check some avionics.

:>---

EGA
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-24-19, 09:11 AM
Maxie Maxie is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-25-03
Location: Ohioís #1 Winneró-#885
Posts: 6,911
Maxie can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
A little digging in the local fishwrap archives indicate some fine-tuning of Brown's history as Massillon basketball coach is needed for both accounts listed above.

According to the Independent archives: A write-up in the Inde on Feb. 6, 1941 the day before Brown's final basketball game against McKinley listed him as: 6-11 against the Bulldogs in basketball (the result of the final meeting left him 6-12 overall in hoops which is what Ohiopup has), 6-3 in football, and 1-0 in track and field.

Ohipup, you have him as 6-12 overall, but when you add up his record vs. each McKinley coach, I only see a 6-10 record. It appears you don't have the results from the '40-'41 season listed.

Maxie, McGranahan coached the reserve basketball team in '39-'40 and '40-'41 and then departured for OSU as part of Brown's coaching staff. Brown coached the varsity and was assisted by Carroll Widdoes and Bill Rohr in '39-'40. Brown prepared the team for the '40-'41 season and coached all the games, but much of the day-to-day duties were delegated to Widdoes and Rohr while Brown was busy preparing to take over at OSU (his official 1st day at OSU was March 1, 1941). Bud Houghton took over the basketball team in February for the last 3.5 games of the regular season (2nd half at Akron East, at Alliance, Mansfield, and at Warren Harding) plus the tournament. Houghton, Knowlton, and Rohr were named to the varsity staff with Elwood Kammer as the reserve coach for the '41-'42 season. I have not looked beyond the end of the '40-'41 season to see if any of them were drafted into the military before the '41-'42 season began. The newspaper made note of that possibility when the men were named to the staff for the '41-'42 season.


In addition to Brown's 1-0 coaching record against McKinley in track and field, Brown placed in the pole vault as a schoolboy at the 1926 state track meet.
https://www.ohsaa.org/Portals/0/Spor...ys/TF_1926.pdf

A couple of Tiger Boosters have spent several months updating the basketball team's records. This includes: total wins/losses/tie (yes, one tie). Also, every years' schedules with the scores from 1909-2019. We used newspapers, WHS yearbooks, and old press guides and souvenir programs. That is where, McGranahan was listed as the head coach in 1939-40 and 1940-41. We certainly appreciate you and Ohiopup's research. In addition, we have a page that we list the W-L records for all the head coaches. What do you suggest how we list the head coaches during the 1940-41 season? Should we credit the 17-6 record during the 40-41 season to Paul Brown? Or, use an asterisk for the games Bud Houghton was the "head coach?" Also, we have Elwood Kammer as head coach in 1941-42?? Wrong??
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-24-19, 11:21 AM
ohiopup ohiopup is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-07-01
Location: Grove City
Posts: 8,598
ohiopup is on a distinguished road
---lunch break---

On Elwood... if you check the 42 yearbook they have a photo of the JV team under the
JV record (scores). Elwood is named as coach, but the names of the players in the photo
are not the names of the Varsity players shown on the previous couple of pages.

(just my take on it)


---

Here is how DaveDawg handled a split year
https://www.cantonmckinley.com/just-...tory-1901-2019

1917 Harold E. Dunlap & M. C. Wagner (just shows the W-L records)

https://www.cantonmckinley.com/just-...1-2019?start=1
(Did not indicate which coach for which game / from C.Bowersox'x records)

What I found...

Based on the yearbook and the research of Mr.Slippery

https://www.classmates.com/siteui/ye...136320?page=65


1941 Massillon Basketball
(B)= Brown / (H)= Houghton
Coach score Opponent
(B) 37 - 28 Campbell Memorial
(B) 47 - 31 Ak.Central
(B) 47 - 29 Ytn.South
(B) 40 - 30 Weirton WV
(B) 37 - 28 New Philadelphia
(B) 44 - 34 Ak.North
(B) 23 - 24 McKinley
(B) 52 - 35 East Liverpool
(B) 37 - 26 Ak.St.Vincent
(B) 42 - 45 Ak.South
(B) 44 - 28 Newark
(B) 28 - 41 McKinley
(B) 54 - 39 Ak.East
(H) 46 - 32 Alliance
(H) 49 - 39 Mansfield
(H) 39 - 41 Warren
--- District Tournament ---
(H) 43 - 30 Ak.East
(H) 44 - 25 Ak.North
(H) 26 - 24 Timken
--- State Tournament ---
(H) 44 - 38 Bryan
(H) 38 - 34 Cin.Hughes
--- Final-Four ---
(H) 31 - 34 Lakewood

Note -corrected data.
:>---

SF

Last edited by ohiopup; 04-25-19 at 05:41 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-24-19, 12:50 PM
Mackinbiner Mackinbiner is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-26-03
Posts: 6,762
Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie View Post
VERY INTERESTING! Our records donít indicate that information. I will check into it. Thanks.
This scares me. Something tells me some more Massillon "titles" may be "found" if TOO much research is done.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-24-19, 02:34 PM
conspiritor conspiritor is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 03-18-18
Posts: 19
conspiritor is on a distinguished road
What you are writing is that once again Massillon did not win a championship. That is old news.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-24-19, 02:46 PM
Maxie Maxie is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-25-03
Location: Ohioís #1 Winneró-#885
Posts: 6,911
Maxie can only hope to improve
Ohiopup

For your records.

Our research indicates these corrections:
1936-37 Total record is 22-2 not 21-2. Found another REGULAR SEASON game. Akron St. Vincent (SVSM) was game #9. The Tigers won 35-34.

1939-40 Total record is 17-6. Found another REGULAR SEASON game. Akron North was game #5. The Tigers won 39-33. However, #4 game, New Philadelphia was a loss, 32-33.
Total breakdown: Regular Season 12-5 Tournament 5-1 Totals 17-6.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-24-19, 05:19 PM
Mr. Slippery's Avatar
Mr. Slippery Mr. Slippery is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 02-05-07
Location: Slippery Rock
Posts: 19,155
Mr. Slippery will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie View Post
A couple of Tiger Boosters have spent several months updating the basketball team's records. This includes: total wins/losses/tie (yes, one tie). Also, every years' schedules with the scores from 1909-2019. We used newspapers, WHS yearbooks, and old press guides and souvenir programs. That is where, McGranahan was listed as the head coach in 1939-40 and 1940-41. We certainly appreciate you and Ohiopup's research. In addition, we have a page that we list the W-L records for all the head coaches. What do you suggest how we list the head coaches during the 1940-41 season? Should we credit the 17-6 record during the 40-41 season to Paul Brown? Or, use an asterisk for the games Bud Houghton was the "head coach?" Also, we have Elwood Kammer as head coach in 1941-42?? Wrong??
Those are always difficult situations to handle in a way that leaves everyone feeling good. Details matter. Given that Brown did not officially finish the season, I would credit him with the results of the games he started as head coach and then close the book on him (give him the win for the Akron East game where he reportedly coached the 1st half and Houghton the 2nd half). The Akron East game was played on February 12, 1941. Credit Houghton for the results of the games he started as head coach. The only reason to provide an asterisk would be to explain to readers why the change in head coaches occurred.

2 situations in CCHS history: 1) Lowell Klinefelter missed 2 football games in '94 due to cancer treatment, Jeff Lindesmith coached both games and won both, however Klinefelter returned, so he was always credited by the school historian of the time with those 2 wins. Also, one of the coaches back in the '60s missed a game due to an appendectomy, but he has always been credited with the result of that game (a loss). 2) Greg Thurman was hired as basketball coach before the '08-'09 season. The team had a 6-4 record at the moment of Thurman's untimely passing. Jim Sicker guided the team through the remainder of that season and finished 9-12 overall. As such, I credit Greg Thurman with a 6-4 record and Jim Sicker with a 3-8 record.

I will look into the '41-'42 season and report back on whether or not an unusual situation caused the deck chairs to be reshuffled. Incidentally, Canton St. John basketball coach and fellow HS and college classmate of Paul Brown Del Halpin departed for the military with 4 games left in the '42-'43 season, so Jerry O'Hara is credited with the results of the team's final 2 regular season games and 2 postseason games. Halpin would return from military service to start the '45-'46 season as HC and proceeded to pick up a technical foul to start his 1st game with a technical foul for failing to his entire roster in the scorebook.

Incidentally, prior to replacing Brown at the high school level, Houghton was the basketball coach at Longfellow JH. Mel Knowlton and Elwood Kammer coached at Jones and Lorin Andrews at the time. Houghton was replaced at Longfellow by a Mr. Thomas Evans.

Last edited by Mr. Slippery; 04-24-19 at 06:45 PM. Reason: more factoids to add all the time
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-24-19, 06:02 PM
Mr. Slippery's Avatar
Mr. Slippery Mr. Slippery is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 02-05-07
Location: Slippery Rock
Posts: 19,155
Mr. Slippery will become famous soon enough
Houghton completed the entire '41-'42 basketball season. They finished the regular season at 10-6, beat Akron East and Akron Springfield in the tournament before falling to Cuyahoga Falls for a final '41-'42 season record of 12-7.

Brief timeline of events:
Dec. 2, 1941 - William G. "Bud" Houghton is still the head basketball coach. Inde article states that 90 boys were out for the team. The 10 on varsity were pre-selected based on last year's performances which left 80 boys trying out for 12 spots on the reserve team. Those were the days, eh?

Jan. 19, 1942 - Inde reported that Houghton had applied for enlistment in the physical education dept. of the Naval Air Corps. training division. The Tigers were 6-1 at the time of this story. Kammer and Bob Shertzer had dependents, Augie Morningstar's physical revealed a heart murmur and flat feet to place him as 4F, and Bill Rohr's revealed asthma and hay fever to place him in 1B.

March 16, 1942 - The basketball season ends with a 35-34 tournament loss to Cuyahoga Falls.

April 2, 1942 - Houghton had been drafted into the Army by this time but had taken a deferment because he was still awaiting appointment to the Naval Air Corps training division. Houghton's appointment to the Naval Air Corps training division finally came through.

Kammer was named head football coach for the '42-'43 football season in March of 1942, but there were worries that the season might not happen. Massillon voters had rejected a levy for additional school funding. Unless extra funding could be approved before the school year, the school district had 2 options: 1) either start the term at the normal time and end it early, or 2) start the term late and end at the normal time. If the latter, the football season would not occur because state rule was that all players' scholastic standing had to be established before they stepped on the field of competition.

Last edited by Mr. Slippery; 04-24-19 at 08:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-24-19, 07:50 PM
Maxie Maxie is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-25-03
Location: Ohioís #1 Winneró-#885
Posts: 6,911
Maxie can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
Those are always difficult situations to handle in a way that leaves everyone feeling good. Details matter. Given that Brown did not officially finish the season, I would credit him with the results of the games he started as head coach and then close the book on him (give him the win for the Akron East game where he reportedly coached the 1st half and Houghton the 2nd half). The Akron East game was played on February 12, 1941. Credit Houghton for the results of the games he started as head coach. The only reason to provide an asterisk would be to explain to readers why the change in head coaches occurred.

2 situations in CCHS history: 1) Lowell Klinefelter missed 2 football games in '94 due to cancer treatment, Jeff Lindesmith coached both games and won both, however Klinefelter returned, so he was always credited by the school historian of the time with those 2 wins. Also, one of the coaches back in the '60s missed a game due to an appendectomy, but he has always been credited with the result of that game (a loss). 2) Greg Thurman was hired as basketball coach before the '08-'09 season. The team had a 6-4 record at the moment of Thurman's untimely passing. Jim Sicker guided the team through the remainder of that season and finished 9-12 overall. As such, I credit Greg Thurman with a 6-4 record and Jim Sicker with a 3-8 record.

I will look into the '41-'42 season and report back on whether or not an unusual situation caused the deck chairs to be reshuffled. Incidentally, Canton St. John basketball coach and fellow HS and college classmate of Paul Brown Del Halpin departed for the military with 4 games left in the '42-'43 season, so Jerry O'Hara is credited with the results of the team's final 2 regular season games and 2 postseason games. Halpin would return from military service to start the '45-'46 season as HC and proceeded to pick up a technical foul to start his 1st game with a technical foul for failing to his entire roster in the scorebook.

Incidentally, prior to replacing Brown at the high school level, Houghton was the basketball coach at Longfellow JH. Mel Knowlton and Elwood Kammer coached at Jones and Lorin Andrews at the time. Houghton was replaced at Longfellow by a Mr. Thomas Evans.

Again thank you for your in-depth research.
I will take your suggestion concerning the 1940-41 basketball season. I will divide the games between Brown and Houghton at the Akron East game, giving PB the victory.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-24-19, 08:10 PM
ohiopup ohiopup is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-07-01
Location: Grove City
Posts: 8,598
ohiopup is on a distinguished road
Ditto

:>---

SF
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-24-19, 08:47 PM
Maxie Maxie is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-25-03
Location: Ohioís #1 Winneró-#885
Posts: 6,911
Maxie can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
Houghton completed the entire '41-'42 basketball season. They finished the regular season at 10-6, beat Akron East and Akron Springfield in the tournament before falling to Cuyahoga Falls for a final '41-'42 season record of 12-7.

Brief timeline of events:
Dec. 2, 1941 - William G. "Bud" Houghton is still the head basketball coach. Inde article states that 90 boys were out for the team. The 10 on varsity were pre-selected based on last year's performances which left 80 boys trying out for 12 spots on the reserve team. Those were the days, eh?

Jan. 19, 1942 - Inde reported that Houghton had applied for enlistment in the physical education dept. of the Naval Air Corps. training division. The Tigers were 6-1 at the time of this story. Kammer and Bob Shertzer had dependents, Augie Morningstar's physical revealed a heart murmur and flat feet to place him as 4F, and Bill Rohr's revealed asthma and hay fever to place him in 1B.

March 16, 1942 - The basketball season ends with a 35-34 tournament loss to Cuyahoga Falls.

April 2, 1942 - Houghton had been drafted into the Army by this time but had taken a deferment because he was still awaiting appointment to the Naval Air Corps training division. Houghton's appointment to the Naval Air Corps training division finally came through.

Kammer was named head football coach for the '42-'43 football season in March of 1942, but there were worries that the season might not happen. Massillon voters had rejected a levy for additional school funding. Unless extra funding could be approved before the school year, the school district had 2 options: 1) either start the term at the normal time and end it early, or 2) start the term late and end at the normal time. If the latter, the football season would not occur because state rule was that all players' scholastic standing had to be established before they stepped on the field of competition.

Evidently your research shows that Bud Houghton was the Head Coach for the basketball team during the 1941-42 season. Am I reading you correctly? If that is correct, we will credit him for this season. Elwood Kammer was the assistant, correct? The reserve team photo in the WHS yearbook for 1942 shows Kammer
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-24-19, 08:54 PM
Maxie Maxie is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-25-03
Location: Ohioís #1 Winneró-#885
Posts: 6,911
Maxie can only hope to improve
Ohiopup and Mr. Slippery,

Again, thanks for your assistance. When we put the final touches on our research and information we certainly would be happy to send you both copies. Just send me a private message.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-24-19, 11:26 PM
Mr. Slippery's Avatar
Mr. Slippery Mr. Slippery is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 02-05-07
Location: Slippery Rock
Posts: 19,155
Mr. Slippery will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie View Post
Evidently your research shows that Bud Houghton was the Head Coach for the basketball team during the 1941-42 season. Am I reading you correctly? If that is correct, we will credit him for this season. Elwood Kammer was the assistant, correct? The reserve team photo in the WHS yearbook for 1942 shows Kammer
Yes, that is correct. Houghton coached the varsity basketball team for the entire '41-'42 season before his enlistment application to the Naval Air Corps training division's phys. ed. dept. was accepted. Bill Rohr was the top varsity basketball assistant. Kammer coached the reserve team. Scouting duties were delegated to the JH coaches in those days. Even though it was known that he was going to the military one way or another, Houghton did not even get news of the acceptance of his enlistment request until after the team was eliminated from the '42 tournament. If that was rejected, he had already been drafted by the Army.

Kammer was named head football coach for the '42-'43 season at a board meeting on March 13, 1942. At that same board meeting, the board opted to forgo spring break and end the school year a week earlier, so that kids could enroll in summer classes offered by colleges or take jobs a week earlier. Could you imagine a school district today making such a drastic change to the current year's school calendar on such relatively short notice?

Last edited by Mr. Slippery; 04-24-19 at 11:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-24-19, 11:31 PM
Mr. Slippery's Avatar
Mr. Slippery Mr. Slippery is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 02-05-07
Location: Slippery Rock
Posts: 19,155
Mr. Slippery will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie View Post
Ohiopup and Mr. Slippery,

Again, thanks for your assistance. When we put the final touches on our research and information we certainly would be happy to send you both copies. Just send me a private message.
Incidentally, if you have a Massillon Public Library card, the Evening Independent's archives (pre-1977) are available online through the library's collection of online databases, namely NewspaperArchive in this case. There may be a few years or some random dates missing, but most of the issues are there and can be accessed from the comfort of home. Features like advanced searching make it even easier to find what you're looking for as opposed to aimlessly wading through day after day of microfilm.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-25-19, 08:52 AM
ohiopup ohiopup is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-07-01
Location: Grove City
Posts: 8,598
ohiopup is on a distinguished road
Post #1 ...all corrections applied.

:>---

SF
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Northeast Inland All-District basketball Yappi Boys Basketball 0 03-07-19 04:41 PM
Federal League Expansion MATCAT67 Football 830 06-23-18 05:58 PM
A Football Life - Paul Brown DB135 Massillon Tigers 0 05-02-18 08:51 PM
OHSAA to Honor 6 Former Greats in Circle of Champions at Boys State Basketball Tourny Yappi Boys Basketball 0 03-20-18 11:08 AM
Massillon LL Director Stole Funds DB135 Massillon Tigers 0 02-08-18 08:05 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:18 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz