Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-08-19, 05:38 AM
All World

AllSports12 will become famous soon enough
Why is there an officiating shortage you ask ??

https://www.nationofblue.com/michiga...r-old-referee/

The first person who tries to rationalize this in any way automatically joins the attacker in earning the "Idiot of the Week" award.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-19, 09:27 AM
All Ohio

coltfan76 is on a distinguished road
And the idiot tried to play the race card on top of it.
Old 04-08-19, 09:45 AM
Junior Varsity

chwestbroo is on a distinguished road
Refs nowadays gets treated like dirt.
Old 04-08-19, 01:34 PM
All District

Kurt Rambis is on a distinguished road
"I admit punching him but didnt mean to hurt him"
Old 04-09-19, 04:58 AM
All World

D4fan is on a distinguished road
And some people wonder why many people now conceal carry at these AAU events.
Old 04-09-19, 01:17 PM
All Region

scbuckeye99 is on a distinguished road
As soon as I saw the acronym AAU and the words Flint, Michigan I knew it was going to be golden.
Old 04-09-19, 01:41 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbuckeye99 View Post
As soon as I saw the acronym AAU and the words Flint, Michigan I knew it was going to be golden.
I have zero use for The Amateur Athletic Union, none.... (one of the most corrupt organizations out there)

But to be fair, this was not an AAU sanctioned event.
Old 04-10-19, 09:48 AM
All American

oxat622
Do not mistake this for rationalizing the coach's actions, because in no way do I condone them, but if what the coach said in his Facebook is true, and the referee said what is being implied, I understand, and that referee acted unprofessionally as well.
Old 04-10-19, 10:03 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxat622 View Post
and the referee said what is being implied, I understand,
You are condoning the assault. There's a right way and a wrong way to handle this if the allegation that was made is true.

Assault is not the right way.
Old 04-10-19, 12:16 PM
All American

oxat622
No I'm not. I understand why sometimes batters get beaned in baseball. I understand why some teenagers shoot up their schools. That doesn't mean I condone those things.
Old 04-10-19, 01:39 PM
All World

Quote:
No I'm not. I understand why sometimes batters get beaned in baseball. I understand why some teenagers shoot up their schools. That doesn't mean I condone those things.
I don't condone it... "but" I understand it..... That "but' invalidates anything you stated prior to the "but".

It's all irrelevant in the end... The assailant admitted assaulting the official and admitted that it was wrong to assault the official.

Unfortunately, what he did is only a misdemeanor in Kentucky....
Old 04-10-19, 02:15 PM
All World

Bball216 is an unknown quantity at this point
My daughter is 14 and plays AAU and we have parents on our own team that my family wont sit by. Its pathetic the way officials are treated. I enjoy watching high level high school boys as well and the refs nowadays are getting abused. I will say bad call or ooh and ahhh over a call - but many are crossing the line. Refs know they will get some grief - it comes with the job. What they did not sign up for is personal attacks and having to worry about their safety post game. You could not pay me enough to ref.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Sport Forums smart
Old 04-10-19, 02:28 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Do not mistake this for rationalizing the coach's actions, because in no way do I condone them, but if what the coach said in his Facebook is true, and the referee said what is being implied, I understand, and that referee acted unprofessionally as well.
I have to disagree with you here. Probably every official has heard negative personal insults directed their way from fans, players, and coaches. I've never seen an official punch someone after these numerous insults. We expect better behavior from the officials than to attack anyone at anytime.

Why should we have lower expectations for a coach? His anger was about the direction of the game, not some alleged personal insult.

What if it were one of his players that made the alleged insult? Would you understand the coach assaulting his player? Scorekeeper? One of his coaches? A fan in the stands?

Mean things are said at sporting events all the time. Maybe they cross the line from time to time. That is why we have security there. At no point should someone ever take a verbal insult and resort to physical violence. The "coach" should be in prison. There is no justification for what he did.
Old 04-10-19, 03:34 PM
All American

oxat622
Again, you two are conflating "condone" with "understand". Let me again make it clear that the coach was wrong and should be in jail, but the referee could have done something wrong as well.

It's like when Dietrich stared at his homerun against the Pirates. I said to myself "I bet he gets beaned next time he's up to bat". Doesn't mean I think it's the right thing to do.

X happened because of Y. I don't need to condone X in order to understand the chain of events.
Old 04-11-19, 04:58 AM
All World

my2sense is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Again, you two are conflating "condone" with "understand". Let me again make it clear that the coach was wrong and should be in jail, but the referee could have done something wrong as well.

X happened because of Y. I don't need to condone X in order to understand the chain of events.
You've been clear on what you're saying. The problem is no one is allowed to have a different opinion than the OP on any topic or you're wrong.

It's true on this topic there is a clear right and wrong. But when officiating a game that is not always the case. Yet the same attitude exists with many officials - "What I say is right and anyone who disagrees is the idiot of the week." And that's the attitude that draws the ire of players, coaches and fans who see their flaws.
Old 04-11-19, 05:28 AM
All Region

madworld is on a distinguished road
No doubt it’s a tough job and fans don’t make it easy. In fact I’ll agree they are the main reason officials numbers are down. I continue, however, to believe that this is also partly due to the perceived lack of accountability for officials. Th good officials I know take every game seriously, but the average or below average can be heard saying things like “thank goodness it’s a girls game so I don’t have to go hard.” Or “lets make tonight quick”
horrible behavior by fans is no doubt the number 1 reason but there are other reasons they are Dropping in numbers
Old 04-11-19, 07:16 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
I have to disagree with you here. Probably every official has heard negative personal insults directed their way from fans, players, and coaches. I've never seen an official punch someone after these numerous insults. We expect better behavior from the officials than to attack anyone at anytime.

Why should we have lower expectations for a coach? His anger was about the direction of the game, not some alleged personal insult.

What if it were one of his players that made the alleged insult? Would you understand the coach assaulting his player? Scorekeeper? One of his coaches? A fan in the stands?

Mean things are said at sporting events all the time. Maybe they cross the line from time to time. That is why we have security there. At no point should someone ever take a verbal insult and resort to physical violence. The "coach" should be in prison. There is no justification for what he did.
Precisely !

If this were an official that assaulted a coach .....

1) The posters "understanding" the the official's actions, even if the coach "did something wrong" would be non-existent.... (and rightfully so)

2) I'd make the same statement for anyone rationalizing the actions of the official

The fact that this is a coach/official or an official/coach matter changes the dynamics.... Regardless if the official "did something wrong" or was just an awful official.

There are avenues to handle matters such as these. Assaulting someone from behind (the official is still in the hospital) isn't the way to do things.
Old 04-11-19, 09:13 PM
All World

This particular incident does not prove that officials are unfairly criticized. This event is not the norm and should not be perceived as typical.

Fans voicing their disapproval over the increase in sub par officiating should not be conflated with assault. Apples and oranges.

To hold this up as the reason for a lack of quality officials is silly if your IQ is over 75.
Old 04-12-19, 07:30 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
This particular incident does not prove that officials are unfairly criticized. This event is not the norm and should not be perceived as typical.

Fans voicing their disapproval over the increase in sub par officiating should not be conflated with assault. Apples and oranges.

To hold this up as the reason for a lack of quality officials is silly if your IQ is over 75.
And even those under 75 would know that this event wasn't someone voicing their disapproval over sub par officiating. This is a criminal assault. (and even if the officiating was sub par, this is not remotely understandable or acceptable)

https://www.naso.org/survey/portfolio/data-highlights/

Last edited by AllSports12; 04-12-19 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04-12-19, 07:36 AM
All World

Quote:
I understand why some teenagers shoot up their schools. That doesn't mean I condone those things.
Simply amazing
Old 04-12-19, 05:44 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
And even those under 75 would know that this event wasn't someone voicing their disapproval over sub par officiating.
The title of the thread clearly links the lack of officials and this assault. Its logically fallacious.
Old 04-12-19, 06:30 PM
All World

Quote:
The title of the thread clearly links the lack of officials and this assault. Its logically fallacious.
Apparently to you..... this assault does not constitute abuse of officials.

Gotcha.....

(add one more to the ignore list)
Old 04-12-19, 08:28 PM
All American

hsfan60 is on a distinguished road
Wow???

Quote:
I bet you never were in his situation either, pathetic
Old 04-12-19, 08:32 PM
All American

hsfan60 is on a distinguished road
In this case his 2 cents

Quote:

Gotcha.....

is worth zip!
Old 04-14-19, 06:29 AM
All World

Quote:
Apparently to you..... this assault does not constitute abuse of officials.(add one more to the ignore list)
Are you really this dense or this is your mode when you've been corrected? Your original premise as stated in the thread title is flawed by linking this particular event in a linear cause to the shortage of officials.

Also, me pointing out your error results in you blocking me, pretty much proving my point in post 15.

BTW you claimed to have put me on the ignore list quite awhile ago LOL
Old 04-14-19, 09:07 AM
All World

Quote:

BTW you claimed to have put me on the ignore list quite awhile ago LOL
I do ignore your posts.... I mistakenly assumed your posts in this thread were from the poster who "understands" why kids shoot up schools.... I'll do a better job from here on out looking at names if that makes you feel better.

Back to ignoring you....

Last edited by AllSports12; 04-14-19 at 10:08 AM.
Old 04-14-19, 10:51 AM
All World

Quote:
I mistakenly assumed your posts in this thread were from the poster who "understands" why kids shoot up schools.
Three times you made that mistake? OK

Guess it just proves that officials make mistakes after all.
Old 04-14-19, 07:03 PM
All American

oxat622
Quote:

Gotcha.....

I know this is meant for me, so please point to where I said that.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 04-14-19, 07:54 PM
All Yappi

irish_buffalo will become famous soon enough
I've coached for over 20 years and never believed in harping on officials, refs, or umpires. It is counter-productive and we are all human and make mistakes.

With that said my oldest boy got into officiating while still in HS and at the age of 23 is a varsity basketball official. Being in law school he hustles every weekend working those cesspool all day tournaments (gets in 8 games at $25 a game on a Saturday). A couple weekends ago at a large tournament for 4th, 5th, & 6th grade boys and girls basketball half of the officials walked off the court and left. Why? Because the fans were absolutely brutal.

I firmly believe the treatment of officials is directly correlated to the ever increasing false belief that everyone's child is very special and going to go play multiple pro sports some day. It is like being a cop now-a-days. The pay does not justify the scrutiny.
Old 04-14-19, 08:17 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
It is like being a cop now-a-days. The pay does not justify the scrutiny.
Not really. Policemen and women put their lives out there everyday. Some refs want a similar level of respect as police, military and first responders but their level of sacrifice is not even close.