Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-15-19, 08:41 PM
Junior Varsity

bobcat44 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan4life! View Post
I'd think those teams would win knowing the have way more numbers and resources than Central does. Heck, the middle school coaches at those programs probably get paid more than Sarenson. Kids that weren't his? He's been there 3 years, not 2. This is also high school not college, you work with what you have.
More resources and coaches pay lol are you serious? Central is a catholic school that started 5 kids who are not catholic and only played 6. Central took advantage of voucher program and rightfully so. Marion Local and St Henry are all homegrown kids and beat Central handily after they had a cakewalk to regionals. Let’s see what Sarenson does the next few years with kids he has had to develop
Old 03-15-19, 08:47 PM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So he's staying at SCC?
I would expect him to stay there for a bit.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 03-15-19, 08:59 PM
Junior Varsity

Fan4life! is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat44 View Post
More resources and coaches pay lol are you serious? Central is a catholic school that started 5 kids who are not catholic and only played 6. Central took advantage of voucher program and rightfully so. Marion Local and St Henry are all homegrown kids and beat Central handily after they had a cakewalk to regionals. Letís see what Sarenson does the next few years with kids he has had to develop
Last time I checked, all expect for 1 kid has been at Central since elementary. Yeah, he had some good players. However, they've always been outsized. Who knows if he stays or goes. There may be other local area jobs opening up that have better resources and better pay. I've heard Lancaster wants him. That's where he's from.
Old 03-15-19, 09:06 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Last time I checked, all expect for 1 kid has been at Central since elementary. Yeah, he had some good players. However, they've always been outsized. Who knows if he stays or goes. There may be other local area jobs opening up that have better resources and better pay. I've heard Lancaster wants him. That's where he's from.
Funny how one of your posts says you read an article where you first heard about Central but now you know the schools resources, coaches pay and how many wins they had year before coach got there on top of where coach is from ��
Old 03-15-19, 09:16 PM
Junior Varsity

Fan4life! is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Funny how one of your posts says you read an article where you first heard about Central but now you know the schools resources, coaches pay and how many wins they had year before coach got there on top of where coach is from ��
All you have to do is read the newspaper!
Old 03-15-19, 09:24 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
All you have to do is read the newspaper!
None of that is in the newspaper. All I am is saying is that Sarensan would be lucky to get an interview at St. X since he only has 3 years of head coaching experience, with little prior coaching experience. He lucked into some really good talent, but head coach at St. X is a stretch. Head coaching jobs are hard to come by, especially at St. X.
Old 03-26-19, 09:10 AM
All District

coachted is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youknow View Post
Not sure why Nozsca is considered such a great candidate? Out side of the years he had the Cumberlandís what exactly has he done. Neal would be a good fit also a a lot of good young talent at bacon but i could see him going for it.
He had some good years before the Cumberlands played. He had Quentin Rollins and Jordan Berlin two pretty good players and Zach McCormick for a season.
Old 03-27-19, 02:33 PM
All Yappi

Don Flamenco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Rambis View Post
I think it's Nozka or someone NOT ON the list...

Neal is overrated. Not sure he's well liked anywhere.
Cupps....He's better off at centerville in every way.
Kerr has too much baggage.
Fleming...I would love it, but he's not ready to get back in it yet.
Higgins...is very good...but would be his 4th school in 7 years?
Kerr would be a homerun IMO. Yes he has a little baggage but if you want to win and assemble a competitive roster at the highest level he would be a very good hire. He'd be near the top of my list, along with Bryan Wyant (Hughes) to take over at Elder in the next few years. (Of course neither will happen as we all know Elder only promotes from within).
Old 03-29-19, 09:28 AM
All Yappi

JElder is on a distinguished road
Supposedly interviewing 10 candidates next week and will have it down to 4 soon. I look for a hire before Easter.

Another candidate not mentioned yet is Dave Caldwell.
Old 03-29-19, 11:21 AM
All District

Kurt Rambis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Flamenco View Post
Kerr would be a homerun IMO. Yes he has a little baggage but if you want to win and assemble a competitive roster at the highest level he would be a very good hire. He'd be near the top of my list, along with Bryan Wyant (Hughes) to take over at Elder in the next few years. (Of course neither will happen as we all know Elder only promotes from within).
Wyant from Hughes a very interesting name.
Old 03-29-19, 12:14 PM
All Ohio

chlnewbie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JElder View Post
Supposedly interviewing 10 candidates next week and will have it down to 4 soon. I look for a hire before Easter.

Another candidate not mentioned yet is Dave Caldwell.
Caldwell????? Has X fallen this far into the crap hole. Let's don't mention this candidate.
Old 03-29-19, 01:04 PM
All World

Omar is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Elder won’t have a choice but to go external, if Austing can’t comeback. Kerr or Neal are obvious, but both way more “vocal” than JS. The guy from Lakota East would fit in really well, but there’s almost no way they can match that kind of $. Perhaps, someone like Tony Rack, who is a Moeller grad, but Asst Coach under Pat Kelsey at Winthrop would be interested? Long shot, but if Pat Kelsey gives him the stamp of approval, that would go a long way.
Old 03-29-19, 01:54 PM
All Yappi

Don Flamenco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Rambis View Post
Wyant from Hughes a very interesting name.
He's one of the best coaches hands down in Cincy IMO. He also has the ties you want. He would absolutely kill it at a GCL school within proximity to CPS. Someone has to make a bold and aggressive hire or Moeller is going to continue to walk all over everyone.

Last edited by Don Flamenco; 03-29-19 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-29-19, 02:05 PM
All Yappi

Don Flamenco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar View Post
Elder won’t have a choice but to go external, if Austing can’t comeback. Kerr or Neal are obvious, but both way more “vocal” than JS. The guy from Lakota East would fit in really well, but there’s almost no way they can match that kind of $. Perhaps, someone like Tony Rack, who is a Moeller grad, but Asst Coach under Pat Kelsey at Winthrop would be interested? Long shot, but if Pat Kelsey gives him the stamp of approval, that would go a long way.
I just have to see it to believe it when it comes to Elder going outside their bubble. Maybe they wont have a choice this time around though, which would be a good thing in my opinion.

I've known Adkins since college and he's a very good basketball mind and a really solid coach but I'd be shocked if he left East. I think Kerr and Neal would both be solid hires and I think being more "vocal" is something that is needed. A lot of you know Wyant would be my #1 choice hands down, but I'd say there is unfortunately no way Elder would ever pursue him.

Rack is a name I haven't thought about but it probably would be a total longshot.
Old 03-29-19, 02:30 PM
All Ohio

OldSchoolPanther is on a distinguished road
Wouldn't this be Austing's job to turn down (at Elder, not X, even though I think he could be great at X as well)? I think he would do a great job. I think people assume Austing would bring the same style Schoenfeld brings, but I don't think that would be the case. It would be a shame to lose him, but I have no clue if he even wants it.

I'd also be shocked if they didn't hire an Elder guy when it's time to make that decision. I actually think Paul Cluxton would be an interesting feeler to put out there.

Do head coaches have to work at the school or be a teacher?
Old 03-29-19, 02:40 PM
All Yappi

Don Flamenco
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolPanther View Post
Do head coaches have to work at the school or be a teacher?
I'm not 100% sure but I think they do, plus have a degree I believe.
Old 03-29-19, 02:42 PM
All World

Quote:
I just have to see it to believe it when it comes to Elder going outside their bubble. Maybe they wont have a choice this time around though, which would be a good thing in my opinion.

I've known Adkins since college and he's a very good basketball mind and a really solid coach but I'd be shocked if he left East. I think Kerr and Neal would both be solid hires and I think being more "vocal" is something that is needed. A lot of you know Wyant would be my #1 choice hands down, but I'd say there is unfortunately no way Elder would ever pursue him.

Rack is a name I haven't thought about but it probably would be a total longshot.
Austing isnít leaving on bad terms, itís just his teaching obligations at Fairfield make it hard to get to practices. It wouldnít shock me if he returned when JS retires. However, the other Assistants have full time, non teaching jobs. One is a Lawyer, and I know he loves Elder Basketball, but I canít imagine him giving up a Lawyerís salary to coach full time.
Old 03-29-19, 02:44 PM
All World

Quote:
I'm not 100% sure but I think they do, plus have a degree I believe.
Itís almost impossible to have a job outside of the school and be a full time coach.
Old 03-29-19, 02:44 PM
All Ohio

Wait, so he's already decided to leave? Well, that sucks. He's a very good coach.
Old 03-29-19, 02:47 PM
All World

I canít say that for certain, thatís just what Iíve heard.
Old 03-29-19, 06:06 PM
All District

Vinegar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
He's one of the best coaches hands down in Cincy IMO. He also has the ties you want. He would absolutely kill it at a GCL school within proximity to CPS. Someone has to make a bold and aggressive hire or Moeller is going to continue to walk all over everyone.
I agree with this. Wyant would be spectacular at Elder.
Old 03-30-19, 04:00 PM
All Yappi

Don Flamenco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegar View Post
I agree with this. Wyant would be spectacular at Elder.
Agreed. He would build a dominating program there. I just want to see Elder, one time, make a great outside hire like that.
Old 04-01-19, 08:33 AM
All World

Carl Rick is on a distinguished road
Elder coach is stepping down?
Old 04-01-19, 11:07 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Rick View Post
Elder coach is stepping down?
No, just speculation as to who may replace him one day when he decides to retire.

There is also some speculation that their lead assistant may move on, with most assuming/hoping he would be the head guy one day.
Old 04-01-19, 05:16 PM
All World

Carl Rick is on a distinguished road
Thanks
Old 04-03-19, 12:54 PM
Varsity

DonJuanDeMarco is on a distinguished road
There's an out of state candidate I've heard tossed around. Family is from Ohio.
Old 04-03-19, 12:57 PM
Varsity

DonJuanDeMarco is on a distinguished road
Quote:
More resources and coaches pay lol are you serious? Central is a catholic school that started 5 kids who are not catholic and only played 6. Central took advantage of voucher program and rightfully so. Marion Local and St Henry are all homegrown kids and beat Central handily after they had a cakewalk to regionals. Letís see what Sarenson does the next few years with kids he has had to develop
I would bet $100 that the head basketball coach at Springfield Catholic Central does not make $2,000.
Old 04-03-19, 01:37 PM
All Yappi

tom 48 will become famous soon enough
Is this thread back to being about X or is it still entertaining the Elder hijack?
Old 04-03-19, 01:50 PM
All American

yakyak is on a distinguished road
Hyatt could lead St.X to state championships in Basketball and Wrestling with the same kids. Consider him the #1 candidate.
Old 04-03-19, 03:43 PM
All American

SMARTY22 is on a distinguished road
X close to Hiring a new basketball coach yet?