Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 03-05-19, 01:49 PM
Youknow Youknow is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 10-06-15
Posts: 752
Youknow is on a distinguished road
Not sure why Nozsca is considered such a great candidate? Out side of the years he had the Cumberlandís what exactly has he done. Neal would be a good fit also a a lot of good young talent at bacon but i could see him going for it.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 03-05-19, 03:16 PM
chlnewbie chlnewbie is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 04-17-12
Posts: 946
chlnewbie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancermania View Post
I heard a rumor today that Fleming may be interested. One of his stated reasons for leaving La Salle was to have time to watch his daughter Lexi's games at Mercy-McAuley. She leads the league (GGCL) in FG% and steals. second in assists, and third in scoring. http://ggcl.gclsports.com/bkStatistics.aspx?sat=15. Her team plays Wednesday in a regional semi-final game.
From the looks of things Fleming already has a job Coaching Mercy McAuley from the front row!
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 03-05-19, 03:18 PM
Omar Omar is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 11-05-16
Posts: 2,738
Omar is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrepGuru View Post
New challenge. Much broader pool of potential talent. Tired of the mediocre talent at Oak Hills. Just to name a few reasons he might.
Price isnít going anywhere.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 03-05-19, 06:15 PM
BASESWIMPARENT BASESWIMPARENT is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 12-21-16
Posts: 430
BASESWIMPARENT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrepGuru View Post
I like your profile of what they should be looking for. Assuming he is retired from teaching, wouldn't Mike Price be a great candidate? He checks all of your boxes. Thoughts?
I thought Coach Price is happy and content where he is right now?

Last edited by BASESWIMPARENT; 03-06-19 at 02:21 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 03-05-19, 06:41 PM
Carl Rick Carl Rick is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 02-28-09
Posts: 2,819
Carl Rick is on a distinguished road
Coach Price won't be making a move to St. X
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 03-05-19, 07:03 PM
Fan4life! Fan4life! is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 12-09-18
Posts: 34
Fan4life! is on a distinguished road
There are some good young coaches in the Dayton area!
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 03-05-19, 07:18 PM
cincyhoops cincyhoops is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-23-06
Posts: 2,467
cincyhoops is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan4life! View Post
There are some good young coaches in the Dayton area!
Like who?
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 03-05-19, 07:31 PM
Fan4life! Fan4life! is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 12-09-18
Posts: 34
Fan4life! is on a distinguished road
There's the Franklin Monroe coach, Springfield Catholic Central, assistant from CJ if he doesn't get the job, one of the GWOC jobs should be open I'd assume.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 03-05-19, 07:33 PM
HardCorps HardCorps is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 02-22-17
Posts: 618
HardCorps is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyhoops View Post
Like who?
Ask the fans from Centerville and they will tell you who the best coach in SW Ohio is.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 03-05-19, 07:35 PM
SMARTY22 SMARTY22 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 04-23-09
Posts: 1,943
SMARTY22 is on a distinguished road
St. X JV Coach interested?
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 03-05-19, 07:37 PM
cincyhoops cincyhoops is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-23-06
Posts: 2,467
cincyhoops is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMARTY22 View Post
St. X JV Coach interested?
Doubt there is any chance of someone without head coaching experience getting the job.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 03-05-19, 07:40 PM
Fan4life! Fan4life! is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 12-09-18
Posts: 34
Fan4life! is on a distinguished road
Cupps was my first thought. However, would he leave to go to Cincinnati?
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 03-05-19, 07:43 PM
cincyhoops cincyhoops is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-23-06
Posts: 2,467
cincyhoops is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan4life! View Post
Cupps was my first thought. However, would he leave to go to Cincinnati?
No chance he leaves public school money and retirement when he has a great gig at Centerville.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 03-05-19, 07:44 PM
Fan4life! Fan4life! is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 12-09-18
Posts: 34
Fan4life! is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyhoops View Post
No chance he leaves public school money and retirement when he has a great gig at Centerville.
Agreed
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 03-06-19, 08:39 AM
cardinalsfan82 cardinalsfan82 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 11-17-06
Posts: 8
cardinalsfan82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyhoops View Post
Doubt there is any chance of someone without head coaching experience getting the job.
Not saying this for the St X job because it is one of the premier jobs, but why are people so hesitant to give coaches their first chance? So many schools do the revolving door like the NFL, give a younger assistant at a good school a chance!

Every great coach was given a chance by somebody
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 03-06-19, 08:13 PM
jwuerth jwuerth is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-02-04
Location: Columbus
Posts: 4,472
jwuerth is on a distinguished road
It will be an interesting hire. Let's just say the X administration now finally realizes what they're dealing with in regards to some of Moeller's tactics in recruiting.

They should hire Scott back but Im not sure he wants the headache of dealing with the entitled parents anymore. He is still one of the best coaches in the city. Not sure they would look at Neal again since he told them he wanted to bring his "recruiter" with him if he got the jib.

The new coach should have a couple young studs coming in next year as I think the top two CYO kids are headed to X, one of which is a Wolf (different last name as it's the sisters son).
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 03-06-19, 09:16 PM
Kballer Kballer is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 12-03-12
Posts: 2,273
Kballer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwuerth View Post
It will be an interesting hire. Let's just say the X administration now finally realizes what they're dealing with in regards to some of Moeller's tactics in recruiting.

They should hire Scott back but Im not sure he wants the headache of dealing with the entitled parents anymore. He is still one of the best coaches in the city. Not sure they would look at Neal again since he told them he wanted to bring his "recruiter" with him if he got the jib.

The new coach should have a couple young studs coming in next year as I think the top two CYO kids are headed to X, one of which is a Wolf (different last name as it's the sisters son).
Just. Stop.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 03-07-19, 01:04 PM
big_blue_fan big_blue_fan is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 06-25-03
Posts: 1,122
big_blue_fan
Hearing Brook Cupps of Centerville is a candidate as well. Has a son who will be a freshman that played with Bronny James for NCBC...could be a candidate for the Lakers too
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 03-07-19, 02:21 PM
GCLFan99 GCLFan99 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 06-02-14
Posts: 575
GCLFan99 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PURPLE REIGN View Post
St X should be a basketball power. They recruit the entire city and have 1600 boys in the school. With the endless amount of resources that school has, NO REASON they cant find 5+ stud basketball players in each grade.

Wasn't the current coach only there for one year? Why is he leaving already?
A large majority of the kids they "recruit" are smart, non athletic students. That actually describes a large % of the student population. If student population equated to athletic success then Oak Hills should be a power every year.

Now that we have put the school population argument aside (one the Elder posters in particular love to raise) why has St X struggled in basketball the past ten years.

It comes down to three potential reasons.

1. Talented basketball players are not drawn to St X
2. Talented basketball players attend St X but don't play basketball
3. Poor coaching

In the past ten years here is the breakdown of number of 1st and 2nd team GCL selections for each school

Moeller 24 20
LaSalle 19 18
Elder 12 16
St X 11 12

So St X has had the least number of first team and second team selections. So it appears they have less talent

Here is the breakdown of coach of the year selections

Moe 7
LaSalle 5
Elder 2
St X 0

There were 12 selections in ten years because in '15 and '16 there was a three way tie between Moe LaSalle and Elder

So it appears again St X is lacking versus its GCL peers

So less talent and not as good of coaching.

Lets hope they make a great hire and turn the ship around
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 03-07-19, 02:28 PM
Don Flamenco Don Flamenco is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-25-01
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 18,683
Don Flamenco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancermania View Post
I heard a rumor today that Fleming may be interested. One of his stated reasons for leaving La Salle was to have time to watch his daughter Lexi's games at Mercy-McAuley. She leads the league (GGCL) in FG% and steals. second in assists, and third in scoring. http://ggcl.gclsports.com/bkStatistics.aspx?sat=15. Her team plays Wednesday in a regional semi-final game.
This would be awful for the GCL South. Basketball is already virtually unwatchable in that league, this would make it even worse.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 03-07-19, 02:33 PM
Don Flamenco Don Flamenco is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-25-01
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 18,683
Don Flamenco
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCLFan99 View Post
A large majority of the kids they "recruit" are smart, non athletic students. That actually describes a large % of the student population. If student population equated to athletic success then Oak Hills should be a power every year.

Now that we have put the school population argument aside (one the Elder posters in particular love to raise) why has St X struggled in basketball the past ten years.

It comes down to three potential reasons.

1. Talented basketball players are not drawn to St X
2. Talented basketball players attend St X but don't play basketball
3. Poor coaching

In the past ten years here is the breakdown of number of 1st and 2nd team GCL selections for each school

Moeller 24 20
LaSalle 19 18
Elder 12 16
St X 11 12

So St X has had the least number of first team and second team selections. So it appears they have less talent

Here is the breakdown of coach of the year selections

Moe 7
LaSalle 5
Elder 2
St X 0

There were 12 selections in ten years because in '15 and '16 there was a three way tie between Moe LaSalle and Elder

So it appears again St X is lacking versus its GCL peers

So less talent and not as good of coaching.

Lets hope they make a great hire and turn the ship around
I don't know what the issue is at St X but every single year for about the last 5-7 years people on the GCYL threads seem to think they've been bringing in the best basketball talent in the league. I don't know if it's biased St X fans saying that and they are just flat out wrong, but it seems like they've had loaded rosters entering the school as freshman for a good while now.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 03-07-19, 03:14 PM
Rabbit Rabbit is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-23-03
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,997
Rabbit is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwuerth View Post
It will be an interesting hire. Let's just say the X administration now finally realizes what they're dealing with in regards to some of Moeller's tactics in recruiting.

They should hire Scott back but Im not sure he wants the headache of dealing with the entitled parents anymore. He is still one of the best coaches in the city. Not sure they would look at Neal again since he told them he wanted to bring his "recruiter" with him if he got the jib.

The new coach should have a couple young studs coming in next year as I think the top two CYO kids are headed to X, one of which is a Wolf (different last name as it's the sisters son).
Poor Bombers are limited and have a tough time putting together a competitive program from 1600 boys that jam the hallways every year. Gotta be Moeller's fault that their program is pitiful, and nothing to do with horrendous leadership and a poor basketball culture?
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 03-07-19, 04:30 PM
PURPLE REIGN PURPLE REIGN is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-17-01
Posts: 5,934
PURPLE REIGN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCLFan99 View Post
A large majority of the kids they "recruit" are smart, non athletic students. That actually describes a large % of the student population.
So St X is filled with "nerds", but you can find and attract 100+ boys to play football and another 100+ to swim (to say nothing about tennis, golf, baseball, water polo, soccer, lacrosse, cross country etc., etc. etc.) but you cant find 5 studs each year to play basketball?

Last edited by PURPLE REIGN; 03-07-19 at 04:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 03-07-19, 04:46 PM
adselder09 adselder09 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-11-07
Posts: 14,702
adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwuerth View Post
It will be an interesting hire. Let's just say the X administration now finally realizes what they're dealing with in regards to some of Moeller's tactics in recruiting.

They should hire Scott back but Im not sure he wants the headache of dealing with the entitled parents anymore. He is still one of the best coaches in the city. Not sure they would look at Neal again since he told them he wanted to bring his "recruiter" with him if he got the jib.

The new coach should have a couple young studs coming in next year as I think the top two CYO kids are headed to X, one of which is a Wolf (different last name as it's the sisters son).
No they're not. The one is going to Cov Cath.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 03-07-19, 04:49 PM
bluengoldblinders bluengoldblinders is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 01-17-13
Posts: 732
bluengoldblinders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwuerth View Post
It will be an interesting hire. Let's just say the X administration now finally realizes what they're dealing with in regards to some of Moeller's tactics in recruiting.

They should hire Scott back but Im not sure he wants the headache of dealing with the entitled parents anymore. He is still one of the best coaches in the city. Not sure they would look at Neal again since he told them he wanted to bring his "recruiter" with him if he got the jib.

The new coach should have a couple young studs coming in next year as I think the top two CYO kids are headed to X, one of which is a Wolf (different last name as it's the sisters son).
There he is...King D-Bag himself...and always on message.

How old are you now, Jeff? 55 and still walking around Central Ohio with an ax to grind with a HS you actually never competed against?

You're such a sad, pathetic person.

Let the topic be about St. Xavier basketball, Jeff. Oh...and grow up and act like an adult.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 03-07-19, 05:08 PM
GCLFan99 GCLFan99 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 06-02-14
Posts: 575
GCLFan99 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PURPLE REIGN View Post
So St X is filled with "nerds", but you can find and attract 100+ boys to play football and another 100+ to swim (to say nothing about tennis, golf, baseball, water polo, soccer, lacrosse, cross country etc., etc. etc.) but you cant find 5 studs each year to play basketball?
My comment was meant as a jab at the standard 1,600 boys comment that often is used by non St X supporters. Its as if having 1600 boys guarantees the school should excel at every single endeavor.

The fact is St X has not had a good basketball program for the past 10 years. The past ten years the basketball team is 109-120 including 20-56 in GCL play while going 0-6 during four straight seasons. Only once during those ten years did the team have a winning record in the GCL. Four times the team failed to reach double digit wins. Since 2013 the team is 3-33 in the GCL. (I am sure you are taking great delight in these stats)

During this same ten year period the team has had success in virtually every other sport and continues to crank out national merit semifinalists.

It certainly is a mystery as to how a school that excels in so many areas can have such a bad run in basketball.

Maybe instead of accepting 400 kids a class they can accept 405 kids a class and make sure the last 5 are basketball studs
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 03-07-19, 05:15 PM
GCLFan99 GCLFan99 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 06-02-14
Posts: 575
GCLFan99 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Flamenco View Post
I don't know what the issue is at St X but every single year for about the last 5-7 years people on the GCYL threads seem to think they've been bringing in the best basketball talent in the league. I don't know if it's biased St X fans saying that and they are just flat out wrong, but it seems like they've had loaded rosters entering the school as freshman for a good while now.
It is probably a safe bet that fans are lacking objectivity and hyping 8th graders as some of the best in the city.

I think one of the things about St X which differs from Moeller for sure and possibly LaSalle (maybe not as much with Elder) is that their best incoming basketball players are often football players first (or ultimately lean towards football) The most hyped players in the current senior class when coming in as freshmen were Chris Payne and Thomas Kiessling. Football became the main sport for both, so much so for Payne that he didnt even play is senior year. In past years guys like Sean Clifford and Chase Wolf were great basketball players, whose primary committment was to football.

At Moeller some of the best players (McBride, Jaxson hayes) quit football to focus on basketball.

I have the impression (although I certainly may be wrong) that some of Elder's best athletes remain 2 and even 3 sport players (a kid like Bittner). That seems to be much more rare at St X these days, or at least they don't approach their secondary sports with as much passion and commitment.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 03-07-19, 07:13 PM
BASESWIMPARENT BASESWIMPARENT is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 12-21-16
Posts: 430
BASESWIMPARENT is on a distinguished road
In all sports in the GCL, it is all about coaching and resources. X's football is one of the best in the state. Coach Specht is well respected and has run and outstanding program for years. He has produced many D1 candidates and future pros. The swimming team has some of the best swimming coaches in the city and attracts the best swimmers in southern Ohio because of this. Basketball has not had this situation other than Martin's early years when he wen to three State championships in like 5 years and won one.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 03-07-19, 07:59 PM
jwuerth jwuerth is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-02-04
Location: Columbus
Posts: 4,472
jwuerth is on a distinguished road
I see the Moe fans are still in denial. Can you be that dumb. Amazing. Truly laughable.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 03-07-19, 11:03 PM
BASESWIMPARENT BASESWIMPARENT is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 12-21-16
Posts: 430
BASESWIMPARENT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCLFan99 View Post
It is probably a safe bet that fans are lacking objectivity and hyping 8th graders as some of the best in the city.

I think one of the things about St X which differs from Moeller for sure and possibly LaSalle (maybe not as much with Elder) is that their best incoming basketball players are often football players first (or ultimately lean towards football) The most hyped players in the current senior class when coming in as freshmen were Chris Payne and Thomas Kiessling. Football became the main sport for both, so much so for Payne that he didnt even play is senior year. In past years guys like Sean Clifford and Chase Wolf were great basketball players, whose primary committment was to football.

At Moeller some of the best players (McBride, Jaxson hayes) quit football to focus on basketball.

I have the impression (although I certainly may be wrong) that some of Elder's best athletes remain 2 and even 3 sport players (a kid like Bittner). That seems to be much more rare at St X these days, or at least they don't approach their secondary sports with as much passion and commitment.
You are correct about Elder's athletes. The ones that I know are all two and three sport players. The problem at X is that in some sports, the resources and the coaching is not where it should be for a school that has that high a tuition. I have said it once and I will say it again to my favorite X administrators: being a strong academic institution and having a strong athletic department is not mutually exclusive.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Teaching position open at East Clinton MS ECW2009 Wrestling 0 12-19-18 12:09 AM
Oak Hills Asking for More Money/Raising Your Taxes EHS 2001 Elder Panthers 76 08-08-18 05:01 PM
Oregon Clay HS has Integrated Math position open jarhead2 Wrestling 0 06-26-18 09:02 AM
2018 Unknown/Open Weeks - Updated 2/2 EagleFan Football 109 02-27-18 06:10 PM
History teaching position open - Blanchester BlanchesterAD Wrestling 0 07-10-17 07:05 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:14 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz