Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-24-19, 07:21 AM
All Ohio

tribefan23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brusharc1986 View Post
They have new jerseys and they are respectable, not sewn on patches or anything. He even started the Chet Mason Invitational. Now how many other coaches have an Invitational in their own namesake in such a short time?
Call the Naismith Hall of Fame right now and put Chet in.

Are they Nike jerseys? You know that's what the kids wear these days right? Nike or GTFO. Chet is DEFINITELY better than every coach in Ohio, possibly the country, for getting jerseys for Brush. How many other coaches can say they got their teams new jerseys? Coach K at Duke? NOPE. Coach Williams at UNC? NOPE. Their teams typically play naked. Brush? Nope, only the finest jerseys that Nike has ever produced for the district finalist Brush Arcs outta Lyndhurst, Ohio.

Come one, come all, to the prestigious Chet Mason invitational to see Nationally ranked powers like Maple Heights, Beachwood, East Tech, and Canada's finest basketball teams.

How much of an egomaniac do you have to be to host a day of basketball with your name on it? Chet is no better than 90% of HS kids these days. It's all about me me me. Wonder how much money he's making off the school for this.

Last edited by tribefan23; 01-24-19 at 07:49 AM.
Old 01-24-19, 10:04 AM
All Region

brusharc1986 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribefan23 View Post

Are they Nike jerseys? You know that's what the kids wear these days right? Nike or GTFO. Chet is DEFINITELY better than every coach in Ohio, possibly the country, for getting jerseys for Brush. How many other coaches can say they got their teams new jerseys? Coach K at Duke? NOPE. Coach Williams at UNC? NOPE. Their teams typically play naked. Brush? Nope, only the finest jerseys that Nike has ever produced for the district finalist Brush Arcs outta Lyndhurst, Ohio.

Come one, come all, to the prestigious Chet Mason invitational to see Nationally ranked powers like Maple Heights, Beachwood, East Tech, and Canada's finest basketball teams.

How much of an egomaniac do you have to be to host a day of basketball with your name on it? Chet is no better than 90% of HS kids these days. It's all about me me me. Wonder how much money he's making off the school for this.
I'm not sure why you have to hate on Coach Mason. He is doing great things in our community and the basketball program is now a beacon of light for so many youth. It is really refreshing. You call Coach Mason an egomaniac but he is remarkably humble. People have begged him to go on twitter and tweet at all the famous people he knows looking for some kind of pathetic shout out, but yet he has refrained. Other people have asked him to go on their podcasts and tell fabricated stories of his past to make himself sound great, but he has remained steadfast and kept his work low key.

That is a pretty lofty accusation you make of him taking $ from this event. It's not like this is some kind of fundraiser where you expect donations and then no money shows up from it. This is a basketball event put on for the community.
Old 01-24-19, 10:21 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
I'm not sure why you have to hate on Coach Mason. He is doing great things in our community and the basketball program is now a beacon of light for so many youth. It is really refreshing. You call Coach Mason an egomaniac but he is remarkably humble. People have begged him to go on twitter and tweet at all the famous people he knows looking for some kind of pathetic shout out, but yet he has refrained. Other people have asked him to go on their podcasts and tell fabricated stories of his past to make himself sound great, but he has remained steadfast and kept his work low key.

That is a pretty lofty accusation you make of him taking $ from this event. It's not like this is some kind of fundraiser where you expect donations and then no money shows up from it. This is a basketball event put on for the community.

I'm curious as to when you'll be writing the biography for this guy? You seem to know his entire life story and have a play-by-play on his daily activities. This must be Chet's burner account.
Old 01-24-19, 10:24 AM
All World

Bball216 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

I dont mean to rain on your awesome post but there was one inaccuracy. Brush was semi finalists - not finalists.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Sport Forums smart
Old 01-24-19, 10:25 AM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
I am eagerly awaiting the STVM-Brush game. After having Wayne and Beavercreek games cancelled, it is good to see the Irish add a quality opponent. Should be an interesting game, but I disagree that it is some sort of "make or break" game for either team. It's likely a more important game for Brush than the Irish. But having beaten Ed's already, Brush should be confident going into the playoffs regardless of a win or a loss against STVM. As far as Coach Mason goes, I would tap the brakes a bit on placing him on the list of "best coaches in the area". As an outsider, he certainly seems like an up and comer, but to be considered one of the best, you have to be successful over time. Only time will tell if Mason has built a great program or if he has a great class of kids. Not many would have made the argument that Coach Dru was an excellent coach because he won titles with LeBron and company. Heck, I likely could have coached that team to a state title! But the Irish have sustained that success over an extended period of time; as has Ed's, as has Benedictine. I am hoping Mason has built a program that will continue to have sustained success (and that does mean more than just winning games and titles), but we don't know that yet. Only time will tell. In the meantime, Brush will certainly get a "heat check" in its match up with the Irish. Good luck to the Arcs and Go Irish!
Old 01-24-19, 12:17 PM
All World

Just step back and think how you would react if a particular coach who you dislike and have an axe to grind with had a tournament named after himself. Your head would blow off your shoulders. You would melt your computer posting about it. If he is so humble and deflects attention why not call it the Brush Invitational ? Dont waste our time saying he has no ego. There are many tournaments during basketball season and I dont know of many (if any) that are named after a person who is still living. There are memorial tournaments but not many self promoting ones.

Old 01-24-19, 12:45 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bball216 View Post
Just step back and think how you would react if a particular coach who you dislike and have an axe to grind with had a tournament named after himself. Your head would blow off your shoulders. You would melt your computer posting about it. If he is so humble and deflects attention why not call it the Brush Invitational ? Dont waste our time saying he has no ego. There are many tournaments during basketball season and I dont know of many (if any) that are named after a person who is still living. There are memorial tournaments but not many self promoting ones.

I'm not sure what you are referring to, but I can tell you that very few coaches in the NE Ohio Area have the respect of their peers that Coach Mason does. His circle of support is widespread and far reaching. Some coaches in the area don't have the same kind of support that Coach Mason does from their peers so they feel the need to sway public sentiment by fabricating facts, stories, and tweets. That just isn't the way Coach Mason operates.
Old 01-24-19, 01:09 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
I'm not sure what you are referring to, but I can tell you that very few coaches in the NE Ohio Area have the respect of their peers that Coach Mason does. His circle of support is widespread and far reaching. Some coaches in the area don't have the same kind of support that Coach Mason does from their peers so they feel the need to sway public sentiment by fabricating facts, stories, and tweets. That just isn't the way Coach Mason operates.
Mason has the respect of players and coaches in the area because of his PLAYING career, NOT his coaching career. There's the difference. He was an accomplished player in HS, college and during his professional career. No one is taking that away from him. He has yet to win consistently as a coach and advance past districts. Not saying he will never do it, just saying he has to do it as a coach first.

If Sonny Johnson over at Garfield Heights (probably the biggest egomaniac in NEO) can have a holiday tournament way bigger than Brush's tournament and not name it after himself, then Chet can do the same thing at Brush. Name it the Arc Invitational, or something Brush related. Naming it after himself shows how full of himself he actually is........
Old 01-24-19, 01:36 PM
All World

Quote:

Way to keep avoiding any questions asked about Mr. Mason. I heard a podcast interview he did the day before the Spire game and it was a lot of me me me in it. He was talking about how much money he has from his playing days and even investing talk. He seemed a bit lost on that topic. You will have a hard time telling me or other sensible people he is not an egomaniac.

Old 01-24-19, 02:48 PM
All District

Unlimited Potential is on a distinguished road
Quote:
People have begged him to go on twitter and tweet at all the famous people he knows looking for some kind of pathetic shout out, but yet he has refrained. Other people have asked him to go on their podcasts and tell fabricated stories of his past to make himself sound great, but he has remained steadfast and kept his work low key.

great stuff here. He threw you a fastball right down the middle, ha! I also heard a rumor just this week that people asked Coach to post on social media about being quoted in a book, but again refrained. Staggering humility.
Old 01-27-19, 01:42 PM
All Region

Should be a great day of hoops at the Chet Mason Invitational. Plenty of great teams and a great atmosphere. No coach does more for his community than Coach Mason and I’ll be there to support it.
Old 01-27-19, 01:46 PM
All District

vikings4life is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Should be a great day of hoops at the Chet Mason Invitational. Plenty of great teams and a great atmosphere. No coach does more for his community than Coach Mason and Iíll be there to support it.
The only thing that you can support is a case of hemorrhoids.
Old 01-27-19, 05:23 PM
All Ohio

James x2 is on a distinguished road
New Title sponsor

The Preparation H Invitational
Old 01-27-19, 08:04 PM
All District

Kennedy Catholic 70
Brush 65

McDonald's American Oscar Tshiebwe with 30.
He is a man among boys.

For prospective, I believe Ed's split 2 games vs Kennedy this year.
Old 01-27-19, 08:43 PM
All American

cvctrackfan is on a distinguished road
Kennedy is no joke, They are a veteran team with four D-1 commits. They also are very long and athletic. But they are a little too free wheeling for me.
Old 01-28-19, 07:07 AM
All Ohio

Kennedy won wire to wire to wire in this one. Brush made it close at the end but it was too little too late.

Kennedy did lose to St. Ed's earlier this year (they split their series 1-1), proving how much parity there actually is with a lot of these teams. Eds > Kennedy, Kennedy > Brush, Brush > Ed's. No point in debating who's better than who anymore, because any of these teams can win or lose on any given night. I can't wait to see what happens come tourney time.

Last edited by tribefan23; 01-28-19 at 07:25 AM.
Old 01-28-19, 11:07 AM
All Region

Congratulations to Coach Mason as I thought the first ever Chet Mason Invitational was a resounding success. What a tribute to our community. The quality of basketball was absolutely top notch. Clearly, I'm disappointed that the Arcs were unable to win on their home floor against that juggernaut at Kennedy Catholic but I came away impressed with Coach Mason's ability to lead that group of youngsters. He is doing great things.

Also, really impressed with all the performances that took place during the Chet Mason Invitational. The talents of the community were on full display.
Old 01-28-19, 01:39 PM
All Ohio

James x2 is on a distinguished road
Question about this tournament

Was one game played by Huntington Prep and their opponent played at Andrews School instead of at Brush? If this happened why was it played there?

Last edited by James x2; 01-28-19 at 01:40 PM. Reason: add
Old 01-28-19, 03:05 PM
All District

Arc

Quote:
Congratulations to Coach Mason as I thought the first ever Chet Mason Invitational was a resounding success. What a tribute to our community. The quality of basketball was absolutely top notch. Clearly, I'm disappointed that the Arcs were unable to win on their home floor against that juggernaut at Kennedy Catholic but I came away impressed with Coach Mason's ability to lead that group of youngsters. He is doing great things.

Also, really impressed with all the performances that took place during the Chet Mason Invitational. The talents of the community were on full display.
When Brush wins something get back to us. Thanks.
Old 01-28-19, 03:19 PM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Kennedy won wire to wire to wire in this one. Brush made it close at the end but it was too little too late.

Kennedy did lose to St. Ed's earlier this year (they split their series 1-1), proving how much parity there actually is with a lot of these teams. Eds > Kennedy, Kennedy > Brush, Brush > Ed's. No point in debating who's better than who anymore, because any of these teams can win or lose on any given night. I can't wait to see what happens come tourney time.
STVM gets their shot at Kennedy Catholic on Saturday. The Irish host Brush on Wednesday, then travel to Kennedy Catholic on Groundhog Day!
Old 01-28-19, 07:19 PM
All World

I actually applaud Brush. It's easy to schedule a cup cake when you throw an event just to look good in front of the home crowd - but they didn't. They actually looked better by losing a close game to Kennedy then they would have if they just pummeled a weak opponent.

If Brush wants to get past the district semi finals they need to challenge themselves. There is nothing wrong with a slice of humble pie once in awhile. It keeps a team grounded and makes them realize that if they bring anything less then their A game - they can lose. These must be teachable moments.

The SVSM game will give Brush a much better barometer of where they are heading into the post season. The win over Ed's was solid - but not as impressive as it was when it happened. Ed's is good - not elite by D1 standards. That can change prior to the post season - Ed's has flicked the switch before.

Brush has a tough route to go if they want to advance to regionals. Regardless of rankings or seeds many feel Brush is not the favorite anymore - based on similar opponents that honor belongs to Mentor. Beating South by 7 is not the result you expect from a regional qualifier. Brush may have to face the Rebels for a third time this season as well if things shake out at Euclid.

The next few weeks will tell us a lot about Brush.

Old 01-28-19, 07:34 PM
All District

The improved schedule is critical. 2 season ago their conference was weak. They scheduled decent OOC with East Tech, Holy Name and Warrensville.
Upset by Glenville in tourney.

Last year scheduled better and advanced to district semi. Lost to Mentor (teams were about even?)

As of this moment, looks like Mentor and Brush close to even again.
Should make for a good potential district final and a very active yappi board.

Solon District looks pretty bad. Shaker top seed and maybe Twinsburg next. Euclid in there somewhere. Might be missing someone, but can't imagine harding or garfield getting a top 4 seed.
Old 01-29-19, 07:03 AM
All Ohio

Will Brush and St V play tomorrow with the wind chill advisory in effect? No doubt schools will be cancelled tomorrow and probably Thursday as well. I'm guessing it will be either moved or cancelled all together
Old 01-29-19, 08:03 AM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Will Brush and St V play tomorrow with the wind chill advisory in effect? No doubt schools will be cancelled tomorrow and probably Thursday as well. I'm guessing it will be either moved or cancelled all together
It already got rescheduled for later in February.
Old 01-29-19, 08:42 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardzfan1234 View Post
It already got rescheduled for later in February.
Thanks for the heads up.

Just checked out Brush's twitter account and looks like it got moved to February 17th at 7 (Sunday night game, no school on Monday for President's day). Might try to make it out to that one.
Old 01-29-19, 10:55 AM
All World

I will have to travel down for that one. Maybe me and Arc can car pool.

Old 01-29-19, 02:06 PM
All District

Quote:

I'll pay for the uber. And forget the live stream of the game, I want a live stream of that car ride !
Old 01-29-19, 03:25 PM
All District

Quote:

Peace is possible between BB and Arc but not between Israelis and Palestinians.
Old 01-30-19, 05:25 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikings4life View Post
Peace is possible between BB and Arc but not between Israelis and Palestinians.
Hey kid, Iím all for having a good time but this is not something to joke about.

There is no way the Arc would commiserate with Bball216. The conflict goes way back and if he wants peace with me heís going to have to admit to a few things. First, he has had his posting material supplied by MugnMaul and that Mug still emails him with ideas on what to post. Next, he must admit that he reads Coach Babeís social media posts and shyly giggles with shame. Finally, he must admit that he jogs on the treadmill while watching the VASJ introduction video on loop. Only then will there be an opportunity for peace.
Old 01-30-19, 05:41 PM
All District

Quote:
Hey kid, Iím all for having a good time but this is not something to joke about.

There is no way the Arc would commiserate with Bball216. The conflict goes way back and if he wants peace with me heís going to have to admit to a few things. First, he has had his posting material supplied by MugnMaul and that Mug still emails him with ideas on what to post. Next, he must admit that he reads Coach Babeís social media posts and shyly giggles with shame. Finally, he must admit that he jogs on the treadmill while watching the VASJ introduction video on loop. Only then will there be an opportunity for peace.
Thanks for the kid reference. Wow, and I thought the Palestinians were pist when in 1948 they lost part of their land to the Israeli state. That is a tall order. If I can help to mediate the crisis then let me know. We all could use a little warmth at this time of year.