Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-10-19, 10:30 AM
All District

Kurt Rambis is on a distinguished road
New faces around Cincinnati

Any transfers around the city?

Word on the street is the All world 8th grader from Oyler found his way to Purcell. True?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-19, 10:40 AM
All Ohio

OldSchoolPanther is on a distinguished road
"Found his way" meaning he will likely got there, or just went to check it out?

Last edited by OldSchoolPanther; 05-10-19 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-10-19, 11:33 AM
All District

Kurt Rambis is on a distinguished road
It's my impression he is going there.
"found his way" is tongue in cheek of saying he got a nice deal from PM
Old 05-10-19, 10:05 PM
All Ohio

coltfan76 is on a distinguished road
I've heard Rayvon is starting at Oyler. I don't believe it but I've heard it. His AAU teammate Starks is heading to Cov Cath.
Old 05-11-19, 08:43 AM
All Ohio

How does an all-boys Catholic school in the middle of Northern KY get all of these stud basketball players? Serious question.

Is it truly just offering these kids the most aid, or do they treat it like college where these kids are eating, sleeping, and breathing basketball for 4 years? Do they have the best coaches, best training, etc?

I guess what I'm getting at is everyone says schools, especially private parochial ones, don't have the money to invest in coaches, facilities, programs, etc, etc. How are these programs financing such great programs if they are giving away free education? Help me understand how they can afford it, and excel doing it, and other schools in similar demographics and situations, say they have no money to invest?
Old 05-11-19, 11:05 AM
All Yappi

JElder is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolPanther View Post
How does an all-boys Catholic school in the middle of Northern KY get all of these stud basketball players? Serious question.

Is it truly just offering these kids the most aid, or do they treat it like college where these kids are eating, sleeping, and breathing basketball for 4 years? Do they have the best coaches, best training, etc?

I guess what I'm getting at is everyone says schools, especially private parochial ones, don't have the money to invest in coaches, facilities, programs, etc, etc. How are these programs financing such great programs if they are giving away free education? Help me understand how they can afford it, and excel doing it, and other schools in similar demographics and situations, say they have no money to invest?
Cov Cath is not offering free tuition to athletes but they are offering more than X or Moe is.
Old 05-11-19, 11:14 AM
All Ohio

OK, but what makes it so much more attractive than X or Elder from a basketball perspective? What are X and Moe doing that Elder and X aren't?

If it's not free education, then why wouldn't Elder and X be doing it (as that seems to be the main reason people use to say these programs are behind - because they don't pay for athletes).
Old 05-11-19, 11:28 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Rambis View Post
Any transfers around the city?

Word on the street is the All world 8th grader from Oyler found his way to Purcell. True?
Hes going to Oyler. Oyler just let go of Lannis Timmons and hired his AAU coach so he would stay
Old 05-11-19, 11:29 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
OK, but what makes it so much more attractive than X or Elder from a basketball perspective? What are X and Moe doing that Elder and X aren't?

If it's not free education, then why wouldn't Elder and X be doing it (as that seems to be the main reason people use to say these programs are behind - because they don't pay for athletes).
Cov Cath has a huge advantage in much like Moe they have built a program that has a legit chance to win a State Title every year.
Old 05-11-19, 11:56 AM
All Ohio

I mean, yeah, I get that.

Are there things they do differently that got them to that spot? Or did they simply start recruiting years ago before it became relatively standard, and now they don't have to as much anymore because they've built such a winning culture?

Or is it people, process, resources, money, marketing, coaches etc, that makes them stand out? If it simply revolves around them recruiting the best, then ok, I can see why other programs won't do that.

But if it's other stuff, why aren't the other programs doing it? It doesn't seem to be "they can't afford it", as all of these programs have relatively the same demographics and parent/alumni support. Outside of recruiting, it seems X and Elder simply aren't doing some of the things necessary to be successful. Would most agree with that?
Old 05-11-19, 12:18 PM
All American

cincyhoops is on a distinguished road
A lot of easier to win in northern Kentucky than is cincinnati. Less private schools to compete with for kids and I think the overall level of play in Kentucky is not as good as Ohio.
Old 05-11-19, 12:25 PM
All Ohio

The teams Cov Cath has had in the past 5 years would be either 1 or 2 in Cincinnati.
Old 05-11-19, 02:09 PM
All American

cincyhoops is on a distinguished road
Yes because they are getting all the best private school kids in NKY. And yes they are very well coached also.
Old 05-11-19, 09:08 PM
All American

Kballer is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Are there things they do differently that got them to that spot? Or did they simply start recruiting years ago before it became relatively standard, and now they don't have to as much anymore because they've built such a winning culture?

Or is it people, process, resources, money, marketing, coaches etc, that makes them stand out? If it simply revolves around them recruiting the best, then ok, I can see why other programs won't do that.

But if it's other stuff, why aren't the other programs doing it? It doesn't seem to be "they can't afford it", as all of these programs have relatively the same demographics and parent/alumni support. Outside of recruiting, it seems X and Elder simply aren't doing some of the things necessary to be successful. Would most agree with that?
There are D1 college programs that could learn how to run a team as well as Moeller does. The attention to detail in every aspect of the program is fantastic. They are funded well so are able to do the extras many canít- and no I am not talking about recruiting. They do not have to recruit- kids are thrown at them every day.
Old 05-12-19, 06:27 AM
All World

D4fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kballer View Post
There are D1 college programs that could learn how to run a team as well as Moeller does. The attention to detail in every aspect of the program is fantastic. They are funded well so are able to do the extras many canít- and no I am not talking about recruiting. They do not have to recruit- kids are thrown at them every day.
Said another way, "they do not have to recruit, because their program already does the recruiting". At some point in time decisions were made that gave Moe an advantage over X, Y or Z. That may not be an obvious physical form of recruiting, but is certainly recruiting in a broad form.
Old 05-12-19, 12:26 PM
All World

Omar is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyhoops View Post
Yes because they are getting all the best private school kids in NKY. And yes they are very well coached also.
Great coach, loose morals. The Walter kid shouldíve not only been kicked off the team, but kicked out of school. How do you let someone convicted of juvenile sexual assault graduate?
Old 05-12-19, 12:27 PM
All World

Omar is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
The teams Cov Cath has had in the past 5 years would be either 1 or 2 in Cincinnati.
They got one of the best 8th grade players in Cincy away from Moeller.
Old 05-12-19, 05:52 PM
All Ohio

coltfan76 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar View Post
They got one of the best 8th grade players in Cincy away from Moeller.
Another one besides Starks?
Old 05-12-19, 07:48 PM
All Ohio

HardCorps is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JElder View Post
Cov Cath has a huge advantage in much like Moe they have built a program that has a legit chance to win a State Title every year.
Maybe the the star athletes in northern Kentucky just have no desire to play anything in Ohio. Everything is Kentucky to some people.
Old 05-12-19, 10:17 PM
All Region

1 time is on a distinguished road
This recruiting stuff is BS. Been going on forever. High school sports was and is somewhat innocent, but it’s just become an extension of college sports. Not good. you wonder why people don’t go to the high school state tournaments around the country much anymore. Best recruiter wins !
Old 05-13-19, 08:21 AM
All American

BusinessEnd
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCorps View Post
Maybe the the star athletes in northern Kentucky just have no desire to play anything in Ohio. Everything is Kentucky to some people.
The OHSAA requires student-athletes to reside with a parent/guardian in the state of Ohio - the KHSAA does not. Cov Cath has been using Ohio players to fuel much of their success under Frederick/Ruthsatz. Moeller - or any other Ohio school - could not do the same.
Old 05-13-19, 08:37 AM
All Yappi

Quote:

Cov Cath has zero competition on the KY side of the river Catholic school wise. They have a few players in their program from Ohio it's not like they are all or mostly Ohio kids.
Old 05-13-19, 08:40 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCorps View Post
I have no idea what you are trying to say? What does it matter if star athletes in KY want to play in Ohio?
Old 05-13-19, 11:33 AM
All Ohio

HardCorps is on a distinguished road
I was just making a statement as to why a big time player would be compelled to stay in Ky rather than Ďmoveí to Ohio and play on a top tie GCL team. My reply was not personal.
Old 05-13-19, 12:14 PM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
From what I understand there's a lot more that you can legally do throughout the year with basketball coaching in Kentucky than in Ohio. I'd think Cov Cath would naturally draw some players across the border with the current state of their program.
Old 05-13-19, 01:23 PM
All World

CometCountry is on a distinguished road
Students can have a residence in Ohio and play at Covington Catholic without moving across the river--a student living in Northern KY would have to move his residence to Ohio in order to play in the GCL or a local public HS---KY does not have a rule to keep Ohio kids from playing in KY at Cov Cath.