Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-07-19, 08:06 PM
Controller

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Who are the decision makers on the Ignatius hire? Fr Guiao, Mr Bradesca, and Mr Fitzpatrick?
Old 05-07-19, 11:50 PM
All Region

1 time is on a distinguished road
It amazing me that this great program is going through this ! I guess it’s the sign of the times ?
Old 05-08-19, 07:52 AM
All World

eaglepride is on a distinguished road
It's a shame that CatAlum and some of the older posters that were quite vocal with the ongoings at Ignatius High, are no longer on this website....
Old 05-10-19, 04:00 PM
All American

C'Town216 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglepride View Post
It's a shame that CatAlum and some of the older posters that were quite vocal with the ongoings at Ignatius High, are no longer on this website....

I was wondering where CatAlum was at. He usually chimes in on the VASJ threads here and there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-10-19, 07:10 PM
Varsity

foul ball is on a distinguished road
Anyone who would leave a public school, unless it was a horrible situation, to take a job in a Catholic school needs to have his/her head examined. It may look good when a person is in his or her 30's but when you look at the salary differences, benefits and retirement system, it's a no-brainer. Of course try to explain that to the Catholic school followers.
Old 05-10-19, 07:51 PM
Freshman

Smokey95
Quote:
Originally Posted by foul ball View Post
Anyone who would leave a public school, unless it was a horrible situation, to take a job in a Catholic school needs to have his/her head examined. It may look good when a person is in his or her 30's but when you look at the salary differences, benefits and retirement system, it's a no-brainer. Of course try to explain that to the Catholic school followers.
If you have aspirations to coach beyond the high school level, it can potentially make a lot of sense.
Old 05-11-19, 06:02 PM
All American

bluengold
Quote:
Originally Posted by StowInTheKnow View Post
Chet isnt involved there at all. Iggy is making a mess of this entire process. Near 20 applicants. Skype interviews. Second round interviews instead of just hiring the best guy. Power struggle between decision makers is this a disaster. Everyone knows who they should hire and give him whatever he wants. That would then lead to the Solon job opening
Over 100 applicants, alumni and non-alumni, public and private school backgrounds
9 interviews
Now at 3 finalists
Should know within a week or so
Old 05-17-19, 12:28 PM
Varsity

catholic98 is on a distinguished road
Ignatius coach

Disappointing, but not surprising, that Ignatius leadership cannot get it together to hire an experienced coach that is a good fit for the school. Too many cooks in the kitchen. Blame the president and principal - neither whom should be involved other than to sign off on qualified candidates.
The AD is not running this show - you can be sure of that.
Word on the street is that the guy they wanted from Solon - successful, experienced and an alum - walked because of the inability of the school to make a decision. Amateur hour over at West 30th.
Old 05-17-19, 06:37 PM
All Ohio

bbfan29 is on a distinguished road
If I were in the position of hiring a top notch Hs Coach, I would go after him very aggressively. A top notch Coach is not going to apply for a job he may not get, putting himself in jeaprody with his current position. If I were in a similar position looking for a good coach, I would go for a guy like the Mentor coach or someone that fits their program philosophy & future objectives. Successful coaches generally do not look for other jobs unless they are very unhappy in their current position.
Old 05-21-19, 11:37 AM
All Ohio

Wildcats1886
Very unfortunate if true. Surprised it has taken this long to find a replacement, but there was a long delay between O’Toole’s resignation and the announcement of Becker’s return. Hopefully the issue here is one of too many good candidates.
Old 05-21-19, 06:46 PM
All American

bluengold
Heard the announcement is coming very, very soon.
A name that probably hardly anyone is expecting. Out of the box, for Ignatius
Old 05-21-19, 06:57 PM
All Yappi

tom 48 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold View Post
Heard the announcement is coming very, very soon.
A name that probably hardly anyone is expecting. Out of the box, for Ignatius
Ty Lue?
Old 05-21-19, 08:34 PM
Varsity

“Out if the box”.. that is one way to describe it.
Old 05-21-19, 09:22 PM
All American

bluengold
Quote:
Originally Posted by catholic98 View Post
“Out if the box”.. that is one way to describe it.
My understanding is that the principal and president signed off at the very end - as you had preferred. The committee did the leg work. The role is more than just a basketball coach. Interesting choice though
Old 05-21-19, 09:31 PM
Varsity

Committee did not make decision.. ad did not make decision.. decision is interesting in the way a 10 car pile up on the freeway is interesting...
Old 05-21-19, 09:43 PM
Junior Varsity

Gatos3 is on a distinguished road
Hearing that all signs are pointing to the start of the Cameron Joyce era of Wildcat hoops.

Certainly not the hire I expected at the outset of this search, but one that will result in an infusion of energy in a sleepy program.

Sure, the Wildcat faithful might fret about the reins being passed on to an outsider who may well be taking over his father's program in a few years, but a banner outside Sullivan and some victories against Flan's flock should assuage any concerns.
Old 05-22-19, 05:03 AM
Varsity

Hiting an outsider, against the wishes if the majority of the committee and ad.. when there were more qualified candidates is shocking.

Mr joyce has no head coaching experience and ver little coaching ecperience period. Is not even a degreed teacher.

This choice for one of the top sthletic programs in the state.Will domeone take the car keys away from this principal and president and let the adults take over??

Besides the new coach the happiest people today are the folks on the corner of detroit and nicjolson.
Old 05-22-19, 07:40 AM
Junior Varsity

Larry Hester is an unknown quantity at this point
So dad and son will be in some great recruiting battles over the next few years.
Old 05-22-19, 08:15 AM
All Region

brusharc1986 is on a distinguished road
I'd like an apology from all the elitist St. Ignatius folks that chastised me for suggesting that Coach Mason was approached about the job and seemingly offered it as well. If they have settled on this new coach as some have suggested, it is a significant drop from where they started their search with Coach Mason.
Old 05-22-19, 08:57 AM
All District

farnsworth420 is on a distinguished road
Interesting hire for sure. Wish Cam the best of luck in this adventure. I am sure it will be an adventure seeing as how this all went down.
Old 05-22-19, 09:25 AM
All Yappi

tom 48 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by brusharc1986 View Post
I'd like an apology from all the elitist St. Ignatius folks that chastised me for suggesting that Coach Mason was approached about the job and seemingly offered it as well. If they have settled on this new coach as some have suggested, it is a significant drop from where they started their search with Coach Mason.
You might get an apology from the "elitist" Ignatius folks if any of us had actually said anything about Coach Mason. Look at the posts and you will see that none of the anti-Mason ones came from Ignatius fans. More than likely people from your league who do not like your coach. So, maybe it is you who should apologize to the "elitist" Ignatius fans.
Old 05-22-19, 09:45 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom 48 View Post
You might get an apology from the "elitist" Ignatius folks if any of us had actually said anything about Coach Mason. Look at the posts and you will see that none of the anti-Mason ones came from Ignatius fans. More than likely people from your league who do not like your coach. So, maybe it is you who should apologize to the "elitist" Ignatius fans.
Look, we all know what happened here. Coach Mason was the clear front-runner for the job and then some of those donors started nibbling at the ankles of the AD and a few other decision makers and it became too much to take. When they realized they couldn't get someone with the same qualifications they had to circle back on the young Joyce kid.
Old 05-22-19, 09:58 AM
Junior Varsity

Larry Hester is an unknown quantity at this point
I do not think anyone is concerned about Brush and their sectional championship banners!
Old 05-22-19, 10:40 AM
All Ohio

Look Ma No Hands is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brusharc1986 View Post
Oh my. I think you should be embarrassed that your great one did not get offered the job as you inferred a dozen times, and instead they gave the job to someone with no head coaching experience (and minimal coaching experience at all) instead. AND THEY DID NOT start their search with Coach Mason. You (and maybe Coach Mason) are the ONLY people on the planet that have said that. Why do you just keep saying stuff that you think is true without having any knowledge of the facts.

Last edited by Look Ma No Hands; 05-22-19 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-22-19, 12:40 PM
All District

what does this type of coach only (maybe something else educational - someone said he is not a degreed teacher) pay at St Iggy? I assume they can do what they want regarding pay, but just curious.
Old 05-22-19, 12:53 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by farnsworth420 View Post
what does this type of coach only (maybe something else educational - someone said he is not a degreed teacher) pay at St Iggy? I assume they can do what they want regarding pay, but just curious.
I can tell you that at least one area coach was offered just south of 90k to be the head basketball coach and do some administrative duties in the school throughout the school day. When that wasn't enough they went back and tried to sweeten the pot a bit by having him coach golf for some gravy money. It still didn't work out so here we are.
Old 05-22-19, 12:58 PM
All District

that is crazy. most D1 high school head coaches make about $6000 and if they teach another $60k, work part time at the golf course in the summer for $10 an hour just to make a "good" living.