Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-16-19, 06:37 PM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
The charges were upgraded today after a medical exam revealing the extent of the referee's injuries. Here's the story:

https://www.abc12.com/content/news/C...508655381.html
Old 04-16-19, 06:46 PM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monclova Steve View Post
The charges were upgraded today after a medical exam revealing the extent of the referee's injuries. Here's the story:

https://www.abc12.com/content/news/C...508655381.html
Looks like the AAU needs to start doing background checks.

:>---

SALT
Old 04-16-19, 07:23 PM
All American

dig it is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
Not sure where you got "I know more than others" out of my post, as all I did was share a fact.... The same fact that zebra shared....... which mirrored the reaction of the "experts" calling the game on TV...(not a word mentioned when it happened live... and not mentioned until after the time out and Gene was Consulted)

If that offended you, then so be it.
I'm not offended, but thanks for asking. I guess what you said then is your friends who are not refs don't have a clue. That's okay, we all have friends in low places.
You spend a lot of time and energy in your posts defending your position and telling the likes of me that I'm offended, when I'm not. I just have an opinion that doesn't agree with yours. We both know this discussion has nothing to do with your friends or mine, or the final 4. I don't hate refs, just not in love with the ones who tend to think if you haven't taken the class, then you might not be worthy of an opinion. I know where you stand and you know where I stand. It's all good, life goes on. Time for me to give the thread back. Sorry.
Old 04-16-19, 08:33 PM
All World

AllSports12 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by dig it View Post
I'm not offended, but thanks for asking. I guess what you said then is your friends who are not refs don't have a clue. That's okay, we all have friends in low places.
You spend a lot of time and energy in your posts defending your position and telling the likes of me that I'm offended, when I'm not. I just have an opinion that doesn't agree with yours. We both know this discussion has nothing to do with your friends or mine, or the final 4. I don't hate refs, just not in love with the ones who tend to think if you haven't taken the class, then you might not be worthy of an opinion. I know where you stand and you know where I stand. It's all good, life goes on. Time for me to give the thread back. Sorry.
Um.... OK I guess.....

(is it just me or did this guy initiate this by first quoting and responding to a post I made and not the other way around?..... apparently my alleged insults about my friends in low places did offend him)
Old 04-16-19, 09:55 PM
All Yappi

irish_buffalo will become famous soon enough
Not just you. He's definitely offended.
Old 04-16-19, 10:44 PM
All World

serpico will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
When the double dribble happened, followed by the foul, my phone immediately lit up....

My officiating friends knew the double dribble was missed and knew the foul call was right on the money....

My non officiating friends who were fans of Virginia knew the foul call was right and the fans of Tech were screaming bloody murder about the foul....

None knew anything about the double dribble when it happened.
Did anyone mention the foul that wasn’t called before the double dribble?
Old 04-17-19, 04:29 AM
All World

my2sense is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by dig it View Post
The arrogance drips from this statement. Everyone at the table I was sitting at while watching the game immediately knew it was a double dribble. The instant debate at the time was whether or not a foul occurred before the double dribble, all before it was mentioned on tv. Crazy as it may sound, not one of us is an official. Many people know the game. Just because you own a striped shirt, it doesn't mean you automatically know more than someone who doesn't. This is exactly why people can get a sour taste in their mouth when it comes to refs.
Spot on.
Old 04-17-19, 08:06 AM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico View Post
I am really hating all of this video replay/analysis that is going on. Over a course of a game there are MANY, MANY, MANY missed calls according to the letter of the rules.

Then we get into arguments of 'do you call that foul in that situation' etc etc etc.

It is taking away something from the game.
Old 04-17-19, 08:15 AM
All Region

zebrastripes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico View Post
The opinion amongst officials I've talked with has been split.

Many feel that the still shot that floated around was misleading and that it really wasn't a jersey "grab"-just incidental contact. "You need more than that even in a take foul situation."

Others I've talked to have said that it was a foul. "You need to be aware that Auburn has a foul to give and whistle anything close to a foul."

This is one of the many philosophical disagreements among officials.
Old 04-23-19, 10:22 PM
All Yappi

jtk has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Just saw on news that assaulting a ref/ump could be a felony in ohio. going to house and senate for approval.

jtk
()
Old 04-24-19, 08:23 AM
All Region

zebrastripes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtk View Post
Just saw on news that assaulting a ref/ump could be a felony in ohio. going to house and senate for approval.

jtk
()
https://www.cleveland.com/politics/2...-a-felony.html

As it should be.

If we're going to preach about how high school sports are an extension of the classroom, there's no reason why officials shouldn't be afforded the same protection that teachers, coaches, and administrators are.

Oh wait, I forgot, refs aren't worthy of the same level of respect as those individuals (according to our resident ref troll).
Old 04-24-19, 09:07 AM
All American

oxat622
Is assaulting anybody not already a felony in Ohio?
Old 04-24-19, 09:48 AM
Varsity

D1nwobb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxat622 View Post
Is assaulting anybody not already a felony in Ohio?
Pretty certain that basic assault and negligent assault are misdemeanors in Ohio. Felonious assault and aggravated assault are felonies.