Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #601  
Old 03-01-19, 08:16 AM
AllSports12 AllSports12 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-31-07
Posts: 3,772
AllSports12 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly_Cat View Post
Isnt there a rule on what you can wear under your uniform? I thought it had to match the main color of the uniform, but I've noticed that lot the case a lot this year. Tonight I saw a Fairfield player with black under his red uniform. I've seen white under dark colors as well.
There are specific rules with regards to uniforms. Unfortunately, many officials don't "Like" the rule and refuse to enforce them. Couple that approach with the fact that the OHSAA won't take a stand one way or another on the issue and you have a hodge podge of enforcement. In my opinion, ( which means absolutely nothing )either enforce the rule as written by the NFHS just as states like North Carolina does (with full compliance) or issue an edict to each official advising them to ignore the NFHS rule and allow the teams and player to do as they wish. (watch what happens)

Anyway, here's the rule in the book....

- "Undershirts shall be a single solid color similar to the torso of the jersey and shall be hemmed and not have frayed or ragged edges. If the undershirt has sleeves, they shall be the same length"

- "Compression shorts were added the rule that covers sleeves, and tights. This addition will require the compression shorts to meet the color requirement outlined for all the items in that rule."

- "Arm sleeves, knee sleeves, lower-leg sleeves, tights and compression shorts are permissible. The sleeves/tights and compression shorts shall be black, white, beige or the predominant color of the jersey and the same color sleeves/ tights worn by teammates. All sleeves/tights and compression shorts shall be the same solid color and must be the same color as any headband or wristband worn."

The penalty for the uniform violations is removal of a participating player or refusing entry to an entering player (substitute). The players may return once they are in compliance with the rule.
Reply With Quote
  #602  
Old 03-01-19, 12:35 PM
Philly_Cat Philly_Cat is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-11-13
Posts: 3,837
Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
There are specific rules with regards to uniforms. Unfortunately, many officials don't "Like" the rule and refuse to enforce them. Couple that approach with the fact that the OHSAA won't take a stand one way or another on the issue and you have a hodge podge of enforcement. In my opinion, ( which means absolutely nothing )either enforce the rule as written by the NFHS just as states like North Carolina does (with full compliance) or issue an edict to each official advising them to ignore the NFHS rule and allow the teams and player to do as they wish. (watch what happens)

Anyway, here's the rule in the book....

- "Undershirts shall be a single solid color similar to the torso of the jersey and shall be hemmed and not have frayed or ragged edges. If the undershirt has sleeves, they shall be the same length"

- "Compression shorts were added the rule that covers sleeves, and tights. This addition will require the compression shorts to meet the color requirement outlined for all the items in that rule."

- "Arm sleeves, knee sleeves, lower-leg sleeves, tights and compression shorts are permissible. The sleeves/tights and compression shorts shall be black, white, beige or the predominant color of the jersey and the same color sleeves/ tights worn by teammates. All sleeves/tights and compression shorts shall be the same solid color and must be the same color as any headband or wristband worn."

The penalty for the uniform violations is removal of a participating player or refusing entry to an entering player (substitute). The players may return once they are in compliance with the rule.
Seems like I've seen players get away from this rule a lot more this year than in the past. Wasn't sure if something had changed.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #603  
Old 03-01-19, 02:20 PM
Zunardo Zunardo is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-03-10
Posts: 2,227
Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Thought this was an interesting situation.

A team with a deaf player hires a sign-language interpreter for games, and throughout the season the interpreter would walk beside the coach during game, so they can sign the coach's verbal commands to the deaf player.

At this particular game, there was a complaint and some initial discussion. One of the officials rules the interpreter could stand, but had to remain at the other end of the bench and sign from there. Apparently one of the assistant coaches in the game had already received a technical foul for not staying seated. Some folks from deaf-advocacy groups say this is discriminatory, and having a mobile interpreter should be a reasonable accommodation for the player.

Has anyone here had to deal with this, and what rules are in play? Thanks.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/pare...152601303.html
Reply With Quote
  #604  
Old 03-01-19, 04:10 PM
AllSports12 AllSports12 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-31-07
Posts: 3,772
AllSports12 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly_Cat View Post
Seems like I've seen players get away from this rule a lot more this year than in the past. Wasn't sure if something had changed.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
You aren't seeing things.... too many officials are worried enforcement will cause an Coach or AD to either rate them low or not vote for them.

Makes it difficult for the ones who do enforce the rule.
Reply With Quote
  #605  
Old 03-01-19, 04:25 PM
AllSports12 AllSports12 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-31-07
Posts: 3,772
AllSports12 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
Thought this was an interesting situation.

A team with a deaf player hires a sign-language interpreter for games, and throughout the season the interpreter would walk beside the coach during game, so they can sign the coach's verbal commands to the deaf player.

At this particular game, there was a complaint and some initial discussion. One of the officials rules the interpreter could stand, but had to remain at the other end of the bench and sign from there. Apparently one of the assistant coaches in the game had already received a technical foul for not staying seated. Some folks from deaf-advocacy groups say this is discriminatory, and having a mobile interpreter should be a reasonable accommodation for the player.

Has anyone here had to deal with this, and what rules are in play? Thanks.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/pare...152601303.html
First, as in many of these situations the whole story hasn't been told.... (but that's another debate)

As far as the written rule...... There isn't any hard and fast rule that pertains to this, however, in 1998 the NFHS included this situation in their annual published Rule Interpretations. Rule Interpretations are valid until another Interpretation or specific Rule Change addresses it.... In 1998 the Official NFHS Interpretation read...

SITUATION 15: Team A has a player who is deaf. The coach requests that both a signer and head coach be allowed to occupy the optional coaching box in order to relay instructions to the affected player.

RULING: The school principal shall make a written request to the state high school association which shall include written verification from a physician confirming the condition. The state association, if it approves, will return a letter of approval and this letter shall be presented to the game officials prior to each contest.

If that's me on the game, I'm going to ask for the written documentation. If none can be presented, I'm going to allow the Interpreter to stay right next to the coach. After the game, I am sending a game report to both the State Association and the League outlining what happened so it's addressed up front for future contests.

Why this is an issue this late in the season is beyond me.
Reply With Quote
  #606  
Old 03-14-19, 08:56 AM
Vox Crusada Vox Crusada is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-19-02
Location: Not Stark county-it sucks
Posts: 3,260
Vox Crusada is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
There are specific rules with regards to uniforms. Unfortunately, many officials don't "Like" the rule and refuse to enforce them. Couple that approach with the fact that the OHSAA won't take a stand one way or another on the issue and you have a hodge podge of enforcement.
Actually, the OHSAA is quite clear on this issue.
From OHSAA.org website, Uniform Regulations - Basketball, at the bottom of the page:
"Please refer to NFHS Basketball Rules 3-5, 3-6 and 3-7 for information on Player Equipment and additional apparel such as headbands, wristbands, undershirts and compression shorts."
The NFHS rules are to be enforced.
Reply With Quote
  #607  
Old 03-14-19, 09:09 AM
AllSports12 AllSports12 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-31-07
Posts: 3,772
AllSports12 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox Crusada View Post
Actually, the OHSAA is quite clear on this issue.
From OHSAA.org website, Uniform Regulations - Basketball, at the bottom of the page:
"Please refer to NFHS Basketball Rules 3-5, 3-6 and 3-7 for information on Player Equipment and additional apparel such as headbands, wristbands, undershirts and compression shorts."
The NFHS rules are to be enforced.
What's in print and what is enforced or what officials are told (or will) to enforce (or ignore) are two very different things.
Reply With Quote
  #608  
Old 04-09-19, 09:09 AM
sig4969 sig4969 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 05-26-10
Posts: 852
sig4969 is on a distinguished road
Would you have call a flagrant foul against Virginia in the last 6 second of the game,.

The play was Texas Tech player going down the floor one Virginia player hit the ball away from Texas Tech player and the Virginia Player behind Texas Tech player grab Texas Tech player for one or two second ,

The play was review to see who the ball was last touch by before going out of play.....







In different sports , by not calling the foul I would give the ball to team being foul. I understand that is not by the book , but that is how the game is played.
Reply With Quote
  #609  
Old 04-09-19, 10:15 AM
AllSports12 AllSports12 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-31-07
Posts: 3,772
AllSports12 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sig4969 View Post
Would you have call a flagrant foul against Virginia in the last 6 second of the game,.

The play was Texas Tech player going down the floor one Virginia player hit the ball away from Texas Tech player and the Virginia Player behind Texas Tech player grab Texas Tech player for one or two second ,

The play was review to see who the ball was last touch by before going out of play.....







In different sports , by not calling the foul I would give the ball to team being foul. I understand that is not by the book , but that is how the game is played.
No.

Nothing occurred in this play that met the definition of a Flagrant 1 personal foul.
Reply With Quote
  #610  
Old 04-09-19, 03:31 PM
sig4969 sig4969 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 05-26-10
Posts: 852
sig4969 is on a distinguished road
How about Foul ?
Reply With Quote
  #611  
Old 04-09-19, 09:24 PM
AllSports12 AllSports12 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-31-07
Posts: 3,772
AllSports12 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sig4969 View Post
How about Foul ?

Not going to use this forum to judge calls or non calls. It's pointless.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:37 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz