Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Closed Thread

Old 12-31-17, 11:31 AM
Varsity

sporty2015 is an unknown quantity at this point
So would you think if there were 8th grade football players working out at Hobans state of the art facility with top end strength coaches would be ok? Or would that be influence?......You STV ers would go ape crazy if you saw a video of that and well the entire state of Ohio would go crazy too.
Old 12-31-17, 12:19 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish82 View Post
Now I want to say thyme beads, but I'm not going to.

Parsley beads for this guy
Old 12-31-17, 12:36 PM
All Ohio

Cougarfan22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Football Fan 1 View Post
Keep reaching Sporty....the guy is allowed to make a living.

Since you continue to quote the bylaw...the key word is “influence”. I hear no reference to St V in the video.....I don’t hear him imploring these two individuals to come to St V....and there are no football coaches present. Where is the influence? There isn’t any and thats why 90% of the posters here disagree with your opinion.....including Cougar who is pretty well versed in the current state of high school football...and I mean that as a compliment.
In reference to my previous post that was sarcasm. The video as I see it is troubling and should be reviewed by appropriate officials. I have sat an watched Hoban excoriated for the past 3 years for something far less than what this appears to be. Actual incoming freshman from non feeder schools working out at ST V facility and referencing the St V strength coach. Appears to me that the St V people are trying to sweep under the rug as I would expect.
Old 12-31-17, 12:48 PM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
What you hear from STVM supporters: Investigate the situation and if there is a violation, punish the program accordingly. What you do NOT hear from STVM fans: (1) every one is doing it; (2) you are all just jealous haters; (3) this is a witch hunt; (3) we are a perfect program free of flaws. Who knows, maybe we should contact the parents of the players involved and tell them not to cooperate with any OHSAA investigation, if there is one.
Old 12-31-17, 12:58 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish60 View Post
What you hear from STVM supporters: Investigate the situation and if there is a violation, punish the program accordingly. What you do NOT hear from STVM fans: (1) every one is doing it; (2) you are all just jealous haters; (3) this is a witch hunt; (3) we are a perfect program free of flaws. Who knows, maybe we should contact the parents of the players involved and tell them not to cooperate with any OHSAA investigation, if there is one.
Pure as the wind driven snow.
Old 12-31-17, 01:21 PM
All District

THE OWNER is on a distinguished road
Funny story.. The year I believe 1986, Two Timken football players were shown the Massillon weight room after a basketball game. Massillon got 2 year playoff ban 3 years of probation.
Old 12-31-17, 01:33 PM
Varsity

Publican is on a distinguished road
Happy New Year
Old 12-31-17, 03:18 PM
All Region

Bobby77 is on a distinguished road
I am not sure the tone of this thread was to let the OHSAA do what they will and we will live with the consequences as Irish has suggested. I read more of nothing to see here along with it is probably legal, followed by these kids don’t count because they have family that went to St V. Don’t forget that publics don’t own these kids. Oh, I almost forgot about this guy has to make a living. To top it off we throw in the we are not the bad guy here, remember everyone hates Hoban.

Only honorable thing to do now would be for St V to contact the OHSAA and kindly explain the situation and report themselves. Anything less would look like they are hiding something. I am sure the OHSAA will understand since there is nothing to see here.

Last edited by Bobby77; 12-31-17 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-31-17, 04:29 PM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
While I don't disagree that STVM should explain this, it's funny to me to hear a Hoban fan talking about the "honorable thing to do"! Short memories!
Old 12-31-17, 04:39 PM
All Region

Memory is not short. Hoban never denied going into the school. Their coach thought he was allowed in St Hillary. He recently coached a Catholic school in Florida and it was allowed there. When he told the AD where he was the AD then notified him that he was not allowed. The call came from OHSAA not long after. They did not deny the accusation and paid the price. Just like you said St V would in the same situation. Nice use of the “look at Hoban” defense.
Old 12-31-17, 05:19 PM
Venerated Poster

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
OHSAA Bylaw R(2)(D)(ii):

The Association, on behalf of its members, shall steadfastly prosecute any member school in violation of the rules and bylaws set forth herein, under the following circumstances:
* The violation is admitted and uncontested by the violating school;
* The violating school has no lawyers that scare the association;
* The prosecution will require little money or fortitude to prosecute; and
* No emails or other embarrassing communications by Association employees are discovered.
Yappi Rule C(3)(P)(o):
Don't make up rules.
Old 12-31-17, 05:32 PM
All Region

EagleFan wins.

Is there anything about violating school’s most famous Alumni being the greatest sports hero in the history of Ohio and any exemptions thereof. If so, I take my entire argument back and owe Irish an apology.
Old 12-31-17, 06:52 PM
All Ohio

Crimson and Black is on a distinguished road
Pegging that as a recruiting video or violation is nothing but sour grapes from someone whose team has been crushed by ASVSM or lost a few kids to them or otherschools
Old 12-31-17, 07:12 PM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sporty2015 View Post
Q3. Bylaw 4-9-2 defines recruiting as the use of influence by an individual, either connected or not connected to a school, to secure the enrollment of a prospective student-athlete.

The following would not be permissible during a school visitation:
a) Meeting with a coach to discuss prospects for next year

b)**** Having a personal session in the weight room for training with a coach or strength staff

c) Having an after-school workout with a specific sports team that might be in season.

I can keep posting this for you guys who are wondering. These are the bylaws . They broke the obvious rules .Feel free to google the OHSAA bylaws . They are in trouble and I would expect some MAJOR trouble for the Irish.
Were these kids there for a school visitation? Doesn't seem like it to me. If so, that is a bizarre school visitation.

Wishful thinking on your part it seems.
Old 12-31-17, 10:43 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE OWNER View Post
Funny story.. The year I believe 1986, Two Timken football players were shown the Massillon weight room after a basketball game. Massillon got 2 year playoff ban 3 years of probation.
Yeah this is what I'm thinking they will get dealt in the end. Its unfortunate for the kids that are currently in the program and I'm sure its really going to sour the incoming class for next year. Im guessing a really down class this year for STV because of the unknown of the extent of the punishment.
Old 12-31-17, 10:45 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
Were these kids there for a school visitation? Doesn't seem like it to me. If so, that is a bizarre school visitation.

Wishful thinking on your part it seems.
If you are a public school student in 8th grade and you are at a catholic school then you are visiting. Its pretty simple.
Old 12-31-17, 11:31 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
If you are a public school student in 8th grade and you are at a catholic school then you are visiting. Its pretty simple.
Yea, you're still wishing. They are talking about when a prospective student comes in to learn more about the school, maybe do an admissions interview, etc. they can't have a coach meet we them to talk about where they fit in the roster or take them to the weight room to see what they can bench, etc.

What's interesting in the bylaws you quoted is the third point....a prospective student athlete cannot attend an after school workout with a specific sports team that might be in season. But if it's out of season the prospective student athletes are free to attend open gyms, open mats, open fields, etc. Which happens all the time. Every year. All over the state.

We took our own kids to another school district to work on training for basketball where the head coach gave instruction and training in the school's HS gym. He charged money for this training and he paid the school a small sum for use of the facilities.

So keep on wishing. All you have is video of two kids working out in a weight with a trainer. You don't know if they paid for this service. You don't know if the trainer pays for use of the weight room. Unless you have some real evidence of recruitment then all you have are two kids pushing around some exercise equipment.

It's rough being so bitter isn't it?
Old 12-31-17, 11:31 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Yeah this is what I'm thinking they will get dealt in the end. Its unfortunate for the kids that are currently in the program and I'm sure its really going to sour the incoming class for next year. Im guessing a really down class this year for STV because of the unknown of the extent of the punishment.
Bet they don't get a thing.
Old 12-31-17, 11:55 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Bet they don't get a thing.
Maybe you should stick to the wrestling forums. Im sure there are some cutting edge singlets coming out.
Old 01-01-18, 12:07 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Maybe you should stick to the wrestling forums. Im sure there are some cutting edge singlets coming out.
Lame.
Old 01-01-18, 12:47 AM
All District

Football Fan 1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Lame.
Ignore him Windy. He loves to cut people down and make below the belt comments anytime anyone takes a contrarian view to his.
Old 01-01-18, 07:48 AM
Varsity

Information is on a distinguished road
https://www.facebook.com/isaiah.dixo...5329784246821/

What about when Dale Thomas wined-and-dined Ravenna 8th graders to recruit them at Hoban?

Last edited by Information; 01-01-18 at 08:06 AM.
Old 01-01-18, 08:34 AM
All American

Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmChairCoach View Post
It's easy when you have the Almighty on your side.
The Almighty dollar. I am Catholic and it is shameful that some Catholic schools appear to do whatever it takes or stretch the rules for the sake of winning. I am sure their are public schools who do the same but I hold Catholic schools and the Christian values that they are suppose to represent to a higher standard. But the only standard some Catholic schools seem to care about are how many state titles they can accumulate and the donations that follow. The latter unfortunately is probably why the Arch Diocese seems to have a " blind eye" attitude toward the Catholic schools that break or bend the rules.
Old 01-01-18, 08:37 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Information View Post
https://www.facebook.com/isaiah.dixo...5329784246821/

What about when Dale Thomas wined-and-dined Ravenna 8th graders to recruit them at Hoban?
Trying to figure out how this video makes a point? Wined and dined? Ravenna, Kent, Stow and all of the other schools filed a baseless complaint that was investigated thoroughly and no violations were found including the above mentioned. Next video please
Old 01-01-18, 09:35 AM
Freshman

BenSlick2001 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws31 View Post
All this video shows is two kids training(poorly I might add) with simeone at St Vs facility. Many strength guys supplement their income by training athletes on the side. I don't even know if this guy is affiliated with St Vs or not but he has access to their weight room. As another poster said it is no different than a wrestling club or travel bball club training at a local high school. Quit reaching.

The trainer is the strength and conditioning coach at St V he offers paid training sessions and has access to the facility. He is definitely a staff member don't know if that means anything. I personally hate the rules surrounding high school football in Ohio

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-01-18, 09:47 AM
All Region

Sorry Information but your information is worthless. If you knew what you were talking about you would know the eighth graders from Ravenna were out with their best friends dad who was their football coach at Ravenna. Dale Thomas had no affiliation with Hoban at this time. He started when these kids were in 9th grade. Even the OHSAA has no jurisdiction over a father taking his son and his buddies out to eat. FYI- this happens all the time all over America, it’s called parenting. Once again the “look at Hoban defense”
Old 01-01-18, 09:51 AM
Freshman

BenSlick2001 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yea, you're still wishing. They are talking about when a prospective student comes in to learn more about the school, maybe do an admissions interview, etc. they can't have a coach meet we them to talk about where they fit in the roster or take them to the weight room to see what they can bench, etc.

What's interesting in the bylaws you quoted is the third point....a prospective student athlete cannot attend an after school workout with a specific sports team that might be in season. But if it's out of season the prospective student athletes are free to attend open gyms, open mats, open fields, etc. Which happens all the time. Every year. All over the state.

We took our own kids to another school district to work on training for basketball where the head coach gave instruction and training in the school's HS gym. He charged money for this training and he paid the school a small sum for use of the facilities.

So keep on wishing. All you have is video of two kids working out in a weight with a trainer. You don't know if they paid for this service. You don't know if the trainer pays for use of the weight room. Unless you have some real evidence of recruitment then all you have are two kids pushing around some exercise equipment.

It's rough being so bitter isn't it?

It's my understanding that 8th graders aren't allowed to use facilities until they receive acceptance letters in February/March. Having a kid workout side by side with current football players being coached by a current staff member seems a bit fishy after reading the bylaw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-01-18, 10:07 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
I think the most troubling aspect of this thread is that grown men are monitoring the social media accounts of teenage boys. Don't forget about your annual registration with the Sheriff's Office fellas.
Old 01-01-18, 10:10 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
I think the most troubling aspect of this thread is that grown men are monitoring the social media accounts of teenage boys. Don't forget about your annual registration with the Sheriff's Office fellas.
putdown as deflection ? Sweet moves there, sparky
Old 01-01-18, 10:21 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
putdown as deflection ? Sweet moves there, sparky
Naaaah, if it's a rule violation, they deserve what they get regardless of the school involved.
Closed Thread