Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #151  
Old 11-05-17, 01:47 PM
SolonComets00 SolonComets00 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 10-22-17
Posts: 8
SolonComets00 is on a distinguished road
The REAL McQuaide

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmss17 View Post

It just boggles my mind that people can come on this forum and say that people truly believe that McQuaide is not a good role model (all around great guy, and the guys I know that have played for him respect him and the staff) or that he doesn't play the best players consistently (I get that his son playing QB as a freshman is curious, but I can guarantee that he will be right up there with Mooney and Bubonics when it's all said and done, plus that stigma has been around for more than a few years). Bottom line is, when you have the toxic/cancerous environment that you have in the stands, you don't stand a chance in the locker room. When you have parents of current players who are openly rooting for opposing teams because they don't like personnel decisions, your season is doomed no matter what type of players you have. It's outrageous that none of the parents in the stands have D1 coaching offers, because they sure as hell act like they know that much about the game. When parents are a cancer, it spreads to their kids, and eventually to the team...that, plus a team that had talent, but was not nearly as deep as years past, is what led to the season that Solon had this year.
A good role model? McQuaide? The coach who for years has belittled, humiliated, embarrassed, harassed, bullied, interrogated, and threatened players? One on one or in small groups - especially present this year when he would learn about comments made regarding his freshman son playing the varsity QB position. God forbid ANYONE speak of his son's name! Players were told to keep their mouths shut or your playing time will end at SHS. Players were abused and threatened during their school day - and then forced to return to their academics - with a clouded mind - pure emotional hell.
Not only does this man bully players but he does the same to his coaching staff. Other coaches tell their players that they get screamed at if their players do something wrong - therefore many coaches take out their frustrations on the players.
Why doesn't the administration see this we do not know but we do know of documented cases when parents and/or students have reported this form of bullying/abuse to the HS admin and superintendent and the player is benched, regardless of playing ability - he was benched. Parents have learned to shut up over the years. This year, it is just worse. McQuaide is out of control. Players know that McQuaide threw away the season when he start playing his son at QB, that was the beginning of the END of this year's season - look at the record. After he started to play #7, the team played the worst game of FB ever. Moral went down, players were angry and scared of abusive treatment and naturally the team and coaches fell apart. If we could redo the season without McQuaide implementing his long term plan to give his son unearned playing time I am certain we would have been in the playoffs. His stubbornness to bring back the original starting QB lost our season. Was #5 the guy? Who knows, but he could have helped, especially when the decision was to play the injured #4 who threw no less than 3-4 interceptions per game - something #5 never did.
Parents have an upper hand this year with documented evidence. We will see where McQuaide ends up. At any rate, someone's job is on the line. In today's society in the workplace, at school or at home, abuse and bullying are just not tolerated anymore.
Good guy, good role model - not at all. With what has happened in the past few years, this could make a national news story: #1 school in the nation ignored bullying and abuse to students for years!
Reply With Quote
  #152  
Old 11-05-17, 05:41 PM
SolonComets00 SolonComets00 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 10-22-17
Posts: 8
SolonComets00 is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=NEOFBSC12;6894440]

You're right, it doesn't kill the morale of the players at all to watch the head coach's freshman son come in to the varsity practice wearing the #7 after the season started because it was held out of availability for him despite multiple junior and senior varsity players asking for that number. Some of those who weren't given an opportunity to play as freshman, ON THE FRESHMAN TEAM. Sure, he'll be as great as Mooney and Bubonics by his 4th year on the varsity team. He'll surely have been given enough opportunity. . . These players had to hear from the coach's son himself that HE would be taking the QB position this year because his Dad is the coach and then watch their senior brother effectively sabotaged and benched in an attempt to actually make that happen, while other highly talented senior playmakers were held off the field in favor of underclassmen in other positions through out the course of the season. "Curious"?? That's awful generous of you. It was flat out wrong. Period. For players to be called out of class during the school day by the head coach and threatened with their "Solon Careers" because they're upset about the situation and may have said something to one of the other coaches they confided in about it? Unacceptable. This season was lost from the beginning by way of the head coach's personal agenda and if you think the players don't see it that way (on their own), you're kidding yourself. But yeah, you're right again, the parents in the stands are the problem. . . The parents are why the season tanked. Unbelievable. Typical to pass the blame off to the parents for not "buying in" to his almighty plan.

Yes ask any player who was there getting jerseys that day - pretty sly for McQuaide to hold out #7 after multiple players, UPPERCLASSMEN, asked for that jersey. His plan so premeditated, his son was telling players last year WHEN HE WAS A BALL BOY, that he was going to be their QB in '17 as a freshman. Even harassed the current QBs telling them he was stealing their spot - his dad told him so. Complete nepotism and this plan ruined SC FB season 2017.
Not sure who could support this man.
Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old 11-13-17, 10:16 AM
Metacomet's Avatar
Metacomet Metacomet is online now
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-10-04
Location: kent
Posts: 8,050
Metacomet is on a distinguished road
I've got some news to share about recent Solon grad Chris Glaser, now a freshman offensive lineman at the University of Virginia. Chris is no longer redshirting. Glaser saw his first varsity action in UVa's recent victory over Georgia Tech. Chris played on 57 of Virginia's 73 offensive snaps. He recorded four knockdown blocks and didn't allow a sack. Chris' dad told me that the Cavalier coaching staff contacted the family and let them know beforehand that Chris' redshirt would be lifted.

Chris was among the best linemen that Solon has produced in recent years. It's great to see that he's already made a positive impression at Virginia.
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old 11-13-17, 11:30 AM
Metacomet's Avatar
Metacomet Metacomet is online now
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-10-04
Location: kent
Posts: 8,050
Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Junior defensive end Nate Leskovec was named to the AP Division 1 Northeast Lakes all-district first team. Nate was the only Comet named to the first team. RB Thomas Wilks earned second team honors. J.T. Caver, Da'Veon Parker and Sammy Bubonics made honorable mention.
Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old 11-13-17, 06:59 PM
CometInTheSky CometInTheSky is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 11-06-17
Posts: 8
CometInTheSky is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metacomet View Post
I've got some news to share about recent Solon grad Chris Glaser, now a freshman offensive lineman at the University of Virginia. Chris is no longer redshirting. Glaser saw his first varsity action in UVa's recent victory over Georgia Tech. Chris played on 57 of Virginia's 73 offensive snaps. He recorded four knockdown blocks and didn't allow a sack. Chris' dad told me that the Cavalier coaching staff contacted the family and let them know beforehand that Chris' redshirt would be lifted.

Chris was among the best linemen that Solon has produced in recent years. It's great to see that he's already made a positive impression at Virginia.
Good to hear about Chris. He was a real favorite of mine. I remember even seeing him working at Chipotle.
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old 11-28-17, 04:52 PM
Metacomet's Avatar
Metacomet Metacomet is online now
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-10-04
Location: kent
Posts: 8,050
Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Leskovec, Parker, Bubonics and Caver made first team all-GCC. Wilks and Zyon Mowry made honorable mention. I'm happy for all the kids who made all-league, especially for Mowry. Zyon is a senior who hardly ever saw the field as a sophomore or junior. He won a starting LB spot as a senior and made the most of it. He's a guy who is undersized, with decent quickness. But he's smart and tough and he was seemingly in on just about every tackle in 2017. Mowry had a heckuva season and it was a pleasure to watch him play.
Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old 12-04-17, 11:24 AM
Metacomet's Avatar
Metacomet Metacomet is online now
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-10-04
Location: kent
Posts: 8,050
Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Congratulations to junior DE Nate Leskovec on being named D1 first-team all-Ohio by the Associated Press. He had a fabulous season and deserved to be all state. According to the school website, Nate is the first Solon junior to make first-team all-Ohio since Brandon Shimits back in 2004.
Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old 12-16-17, 07:12 AM
CometInTheSky CometInTheSky is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 11-06-17
Posts: 8
CometInTheSky is on a distinguished road
Oh boy

I guess we canít move on with the angry parents getting their story in the local paper....
Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old 12-16-17, 05:13 PM
BoomBoom BoomBoom is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 11-28-17
Posts: 156
BoomBoom is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOFBSC12 View Post
Blame the depth of a 26 man senior class that's done nothing but win since the time they were 9 and 10 years old, and a also very talented support class of juniors, for possibly one of the worst collapses and losing streaks in Solon since 1968?? You're actually kidding right? Most of the juniors and seniors individually have a combined regular season loss total in the single digits or low teens dating back to their Saturns days. That's 9 and 10 seasons of football. Well, not any more. How would you even know if they had depth or not when more than 1/2 of them never saw the field the entire season? You must have been there for all the JV games and practices over the last several years or something. . .

You're right, it doesn't kill the morale of the players at all to watch the head coach's freshman son come in to the varsity practice wearing the #7 after the season started because it was held out of availability for him despite multiple junior and senior varsity players asking for that number. Some of those who weren't given an opportunity to play as freshman, ON THE FRESHMAN TEAM. Sure, he'll be as great as Mooney and Bubonics by his 4th year on the varsity team. He'll surely have been given enough opportunity. . . These players had to hear from the coach's son himself that HE would be taking the QB position this year because his Dad is the coach and then watch their senior brother effectively sabotaged and benched in an attempt to actually make that happen, while other highly talented senior playmakers were held off the field in favor of underclassmen in other positions through out the course of the season. "Curious"?? That's awful generous of you. It was flat out wrong. Period. For players to be called out of class during the school day by the head coach and threatened with their "Solon Careers" because they're upset about the situation and may have said something to one of the other coaches they confided in about it? Unacceptable. This season was lost from the beginning by way of the head coach's personal agenda and if you think the players don't see it that way (on their own), you're kidding yourself. But yeah, you're right again, the parents in the stands are the problem. . . The parents are why the season tanked. Unbelievable. Typical to pass the blame off to the parents for not "buying in" to his almighty plan.

It's pretty clear you're either oblivious to what's going on, a coach, or related to a coach. Understand that the entire community is collectively had enough of his regime. Not one small group of disgruntled parents. Not a few passionate fans on a public forum. Everyone. From 7,8,9 years past through upcoming parents with young boys that have concern, and even average citizens with no kids in the program. Except, apparently, you. You're literally the first person in the last 7 years I've heard say he's an all around great guy. Seems like the admins and other coaches protecting him are the only ones stuck on this "ra-ra" 200 wins, most playoff appearances in D1, stuff. Not sure where you're from, but guess what? That's EXPECTED here. So is getting out of the second round of the playoffs on occasion, which he has been unsuccessful in 15 tries at Solon, and even more in his previous stints with other schools who have all moved on to become perennial powerhouses in the state following his departure. The points you make about declining enrollment, no feeder programs, etc even further reinforces the argument that he's already blown the best opportunities Solon has had in a long time in terms of Class talent.

As far as his replacement? Post an opening for a "college keyboarding" teacher position at the number one school district in America, with the benefit of being the head football coach, and you'll have enough resumes to consider from across the entire country that I'm sure it will present options that result in something far more positive for the future of the program. You'll probably be able to save some money over the current 6 figure salary too, so that's even a positive for the budget! I'd even suggest moving Bubonics to head coach (if he'd even want it), move Voigt to OC (He did a fantastic job with the JV offense) and find some younger talent to fill in the other roles. This would keep the majority of the remaining positives of the tradition intact and not blow up the entire program. The players respect those guys. They play hard for them. The play in spite of the current head coach. That is facts. Besides, it's not like the lunch ladies couldn't do as good of a job developing talent as the current freshman coaches. . . (No offense lunch ladies, I'm being completely serious.)
Call Nate Moore at Massillon and offer him a package deal (him and his wife) for $250K / year.

He'll drop any team for money in a New York Second.
Reply With Quote
  #160  
Old 12-22-17, 10:07 AM
Thunderstruck2652 Thunderstruck2652 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 09-19-08
Posts: 175
Thunderstruck2652 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CometInTheSky View Post
I guess we can’t move on with the angry parents getting their story in the local paper....
Here's a video link to what you're referencing:

https://setv.viebit.com/player.php?hash=RaT2tfAv25Fg

To summarize, a congregation of parents came to the most recent board of education meeting to level accusations toward McQuide and what they call a culture of abuse, intimidation, bullying and retaliation.

Two of the parents specifically cited instances in which the head coach pulled their sons out of class and threatened / intimidated them one-on-one during the school day.

Speaking only about examples that I've heard about in the past surrounding McQuaide's behavior, the abuses that I was told about were abuses of power (not abuse of another person) and a lot of instances in which the coach retaliated against players and their parents over even the most trivial instances of dissension (multiple instances in which he refused to write letters of recommendation for graduating seniors, multiple instances in which the AD Mark McGuire would expose the identity of anonymous concerns raised by parents to McQuaide who would promptly retaliate against the kids by benching them, other ticky tack things.) I agree 100% with the mother of one of the players who said it's ridiculous that McQuaide was given the title of Assistant AD in addition to Head Football Coach - the AD and McQuaide are already way too cozy with each other to function effectively in their positions as is.

I have to say that the school board has a real problem on its hands - the optics of this look really bad. I have no reason not to believe the parents. In the video, the BOE said they're going to investigate however based on the defensive tone struck by Regano it sounds like the strategy will be to wait things out until the anger blows over and no substantive action has to be taken, which will make them complicit in the "culture of abuse" if further evidence is brought to light.

Last edited by Thunderstruck2652; 12-22-17 at 10:49 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #161  
Old 12-22-17, 07:57 PM
Comets111 Comets111 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 11-02-16
Posts: 135
Comets111 is on a distinguished road
McQuide is a piece of crap, always has and always will be and everything that is coming out is true he does abuse his power just like letting his son play QB and his son was terrible, giving him number 7. Anyone that defends him needs to get a good look at themselves. Of course they are going to try and look past it due to the love they have for McQuide but now might not be so respected.
Reply With Quote
  #162  
Old 12-23-17, 11:42 AM
bmss17 bmss17 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 08-25-10
Posts: 179
bmss17 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstruck2652 View Post
Here's a video link to what you're referencing:

https://setv.viebit.com/player.php?hash=RaT2tfAv25Fg

To summarize, a congregation of parents came to the most recent board of education meeting to level accusations toward McQuide and what they call a culture of abuse, intimidation, bullying and retaliation.

Two of the parents specifically cited instances in which the head coach pulled their sons out of class and threatened / intimidated them one-on-one during the school day.

Speaking only about examples that I've heard about in the past surrounding McQuaide's behavior, the abuses that I was told about were abuses of power (not abuse of another person) and a lot of instances in which the coach retaliated against players and their parents over even the most trivial instances of dissension (multiple instances in which he refused to write letters of recommendation for graduating seniors, multiple instances in which the AD Mark McGuire would expose the identity of anonymous concerns raised by parents to McQuaide who would promptly retaliate against the kids by benching them, other ticky tack things.) I agree 100% with the mother of one of the players who said it's ridiculous that McQuaide was given the title of Assistant AD in addition to Head Football Coach - the AD and McQuaide are already way too cozy with each other to function effectively in their positions as is.

I have to say that the school board has a real problem on its hands - the optics of this look really bad. I have no reason not to believe the parents. In the video, the BOE said they're going to investigate however based on the defensive tone struck by Regano it sounds like the strategy will be to wait things out until the anger blows over and no substantive action has to be taken, which will make them complicit in the "culture of abuse" if further evidence is brought to light.
Did anyone else actually watch this video, and what is actually being "alleged" here? So basically, here's what I'm hearing: certain kids are talking negatively about the program and coaches, and the head coach is calling them out on it. If it were to happen after practice, people would be up in arms about that. That's pretty much it. We have zero actual knowledge of conversations that actually took place (dates, periods of the day, teachers/classes it occurred), these are so general. People are upset because players and parents were talking about the coach, and the coach went talk to them. Yet it's the coach who's wrong for calling people out?! Don't talk about people, talk to them...it's a basic principle more people should try to live by.

In regards to Cartellone saying that things are so bad (and I only call him out by name since it's public record on the BOE records), why didn't he just have his son attend Aurora? He said in the video that kids can't simply change schools like adults can change jobs, but he resides in Aurora, so he could have transferred to Aurora if things were as toxic as they appeared?

Next, he's literally being accused of telling people that players were second string or backups?!?! I mean come on, seriously. This has been happening for years supposedly, yet in 15 years there have been four parents who have actually approached the board about this. Some others "couldn't make it" even though board meetings are scheduled for a year in advance. And then certain kids were going to come, didn't want to fear "retaliation", yet their parents can come on PUBLIC RECORD and that's somehow different?

One of the kids who was supposedly "pulled from a classroom" participated on the baseball team last year and just decided to miss a district final game last year to attend a concert because he wasn't enjoying his playing time, which I'm sure was approved by his father who was speaking of the "negative" culture of the program.

I'm not really sure where Regano gets defensive about anything...it seems he's pretty frustrated that people have skipped over the BOE and him and send anonymous reports to the OHSAA for "bullying", although no one can actually give any concrete examples of "bullying". And then the person who called the OHSAA got a call from Short soon after with a voicemail but then failed to fill out the form that Regano requested twice. Regano is the best superintendent in the state of Ohio, and simply wanted proper follow through from people.

I will ask this to Metacomet, since he's been to more football games than anyone else combined: aside from Cartellone (whose dad is the first one to speak), can you recall one instance where a kid has not played during a game and you've said to yourself, "Where is (so and so), it's a surprise that he's not playing". Because with the exception of the backup QB this year, I can't recall an instance. I mean it was brought up about kids quitting their senior year because they can't "take it anymore", but could it be simply because they weren't going to get playing time?! The only impact players I can think of that weren't going to play (and I say impact player because if they are quitting, clearly it's not about playing time, it's about culture) were Ryan McCurry and Casey Maniglia, who both decided not to play because they were baseball commits at major DI schools. McCurry came back eventually, and Maniglia did not because he was playing in top level fall baseball tournaments with the hope of getting drafted this coming spring.

If things are really this bad, and they want an independent investigation citing abuse of power and bullying, they can simply hire someone to do so, and get subpoenas of records of emails, etc. Because when you allege stuff like this, it's borderline slander and libel how much people are throwing his name in the mud. And then to say that his assistants are "minions" and simply turn a blind eye is absolutely crazy. What concrete evidence of bullying has occurred, other than two kids getting pulled out of class to have meetings supposedly?!

Then we're going to talk about a conflict of interest with McQuaide being the assistant AD, however I don't recall hearing anything when our last head coach was the AD...no conflict of interest there?

Look, if you want to talk about the performance of the football team, and on field decisions, that's fine...I get it. That's what forums are for, whether it's Solon, OSU, or the Browns. But to drag a man's name through the name like that is just a damn shame with zero concrete examples of a "culture of abuse" and "bullying".
Reply With Quote
  #163  
Old 01-02-18, 09:49 AM
Thunderstruck2652 Thunderstruck2652 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 09-19-08
Posts: 175
Thunderstruck2652 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmss17 View Post
Did anyone else actually watch this video, and what is actually being "alleged" here? So basically, here's what I'm hearing: certain kids are talking negatively about the program and coaches, and the head coach is calling them out on it. If it were to happen after practice, people would be up in arms about that. That's pretty much it. We have zero actual knowledge of conversations that actually took place (dates, periods of the day, teachers/classes it occurred), these are so general. People are upset because players and parents were talking about the coach, and the coach went talk to them. Yet it's the coach who's wrong for calling people out?! Don't talk about people, talk to them...it's a basic principle more people should try to live by.

In regards to Cartellone saying that things are so bad (and I only call him out by name since it's public record on the BOE records), why didn't he just have his son attend Aurora? He said in the video that kids can't simply change schools like adults can change jobs, but he resides in Aurora, so he could have transferred to Aurora if things were as toxic as they appeared?

Next, he's literally being accused of telling people that players were second string or backups?!?! I mean come on, seriously. This has been happening for years supposedly, yet in 15 years there have been four parents who have actually approached the board about this. Some others "couldn't make it" even though board meetings are scheduled for a year in advance. And then certain kids were going to come, didn't want to fear "retaliation", yet their parents can come on PUBLIC RECORD and that's somehow different?

One of the kids who was supposedly "pulled from a classroom" participated on the baseball team last year and just decided to miss a district final game last year to attend a concert because he wasn't enjoying his playing time, which I'm sure was approved by his father who was speaking of the "negative" culture of the program.

I'm not really sure where Regano gets defensive about anything...it seems he's pretty frustrated that people have skipped over the BOE and him and send anonymous reports to the OHSAA for "bullying", although no one can actually give any concrete examples of "bullying". And then the person who called the OHSAA got a call from Short soon after with a voicemail but then failed to fill out the form that Regano requested twice. Regano is the best superintendent in the state of Ohio, and simply wanted proper follow through from people.

I will ask this to Metacomet, since he's been to more football games than anyone else combined: aside from Cartellone (whose dad is the first one to speak), can you recall one instance where a kid has not played during a game and you've said to yourself, "Where is (so and so), it's a surprise that he's not playing". Because with the exception of the backup QB this year, I can't recall an instance. I mean it was brought up about kids quitting their senior year because they can't "take it anymore", but could it be simply because they weren't going to get playing time?! The only impact players I can think of that weren't going to play (and I say impact player because if they are quitting, clearly it's not about playing time, it's about culture) were Ryan McCurry and Casey Maniglia, who both decided not to play because they were baseball commits at major DI schools. McCurry came back eventually, and Maniglia did not because he was playing in top level fall baseball tournaments with the hope of getting drafted this coming spring.

If things are really this bad, and they want an independent investigation citing abuse of power and bullying, they can simply hire someone to do so, and get subpoenas of records of emails, etc. Because when you allege stuff like this, it's borderline slander and libel how much people are throwing his name in the mud. And then to say that his assistants are "minions" and simply turn a blind eye is absolutely crazy. What concrete evidence of bullying has occurred, other than two kids getting pulled out of class to have meetings supposedly?!

Then we're going to talk about a conflict of interest with McQuaide being the assistant AD, however I don't recall hearing anything when our last head coach was the AD...no conflict of interest there?

Look, if you want to talk about the performance of the football team, and on field decisions, that's fine...I get it. That's what forums are for, whether it's Solon, OSU, or the Browns. But to drag a man's name through the name like that is just a damn shame with zero concrete examples of a "culture of abuse" and "bullying".
I'm not going to even bother to respond to your post, which I think speaks for itself - you're clearly going to defend McQuaide breathlessly regardless of a growing mountain of evidence that the program has peaked under him and that the status quo moving forward on a good year is probably about 8-2 with a second-round exit from the playoffs. And you're right, I do think that the program deserves better than a guy who seems better equipped for a career in politics than he does as a high school football coach - but that's not the reason why I'm wasting my time responding to you.

The reason why I'm responding is that it kills me that you are blaming the parents (tax-paying citizens, mind you) for defending their kids against what they've uniformly described as a "culture of abuse". The way you describe it, there's some grand conspiracy being plotted by a bunch of entitled parents to want the coach out because the coach didn't cater to their feelings enough. Well, I have a family member who was a team captain under McQuaide who would validate that every claim that those parents made has been going on for most of the last ten years. You need to take a hard look in the mirror, my friend - pulling kids out of classes to berate them is not appropriate behavior on the part of a high school football coach - the abuses of power and of people that were going on throughout past generations in our school systems and elsewhere in society are no longer going to be tolerated on any level whatsoever. Unless you want your bias called into question, you should not be summarily dismissing the claims raised by the parents. A full investigation of the allegations and a public response from the school board should be expected; with respect, your response stands in the way of accountability and transparency on the part of the school board and the head coach.

Last edited by Thunderstruck2652; 01-02-18 at 10:17 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #164  
Old 01-02-18, 05:17 PM
olderbwalum olderbwalum is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 08-11-17
Posts: 10
olderbwalum is on a distinguished road
Time to move on!

Word is the parents moaning and groaning had (and have) issues with all sorts of teachers and authority figures within the district. It's not just the football coach.

A few awful apples with agenda's in this senior class will not ruin a career that has been built for years.

The on-the-field is one thing.Yes, it has to improve. But, to come at McQuaide with talk of "bullying" is asinine. Anyone that actually knows him laughs at the notion of him being a bully. I laughed as well.

Literally scores of former and current players and coaches have come to his defense.

Can't wait for spring and for these families to be done.

Go Comets and Happy New Year to all!
Reply With Quote
  #165  
Old 01-02-18, 07:45 PM
Comets111 Comets111 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 11-02-16
Posts: 135
Comets111 is on a distinguished road
of course there will be players that back him up and those were guys that always played and played in college it looks so dumb that those are the guys they are going to knowing they are going to back him. I do remember when some players wanted to come back and play football and he didnt let them due to two-a-days had already started and im pretty sure he let someone come back this year (Mccurry). Also if you are not playing football in college he will not look your way and to all the lovers of Mcpoop have fun having a losing record the next couple years with his turnover son at QB
Reply With Quote
  #166  
Old 01-02-18, 07:50 PM
Comets111 Comets111 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 11-02-16
Posts: 135
Comets111 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by olderbwalum View Post
Word is the parents moaning and groaning had (and have) issues with all sorts of teachers and authority figures within the district. It's not just the football coach.

A few awful apples with agenda's in this senior class will not ruin a career that has been built for years.

The on-the-field is one thing.Yes, it has to improve. But, to come at McQuaide with talk of "bullying" is asinine. Anyone that actually knows him laughs at the notion of him being a bully. I laughed as well.

Literally scores of former and current players and coaches have come to his defense.

Can't wait for spring and for these families to be done.

Go Comets and Happy New Year to all!
Ya you are right it is time to move on from this coach, he has done nothing but beat the bad teams yet this year he couldn't even do that and will never make it anywhere in the playoffs, tell him those 1 yard screen passes will get you far and that terrible defensive game plans will help the .500 record. Also why do you think players are not coming to Solon and going to eds or iggy when they can come to Solon and why the numbers are so slow at Solon, its simple they don't wanna play for him and they actually want to win!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #167  
Old 01-03-18, 06:54 AM
CometInTheSky CometInTheSky is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 11-06-17
Posts: 8
CometInTheSky is on a distinguished road
hmm

Word on the street is that the senior QB's (that was benched) dad decided to sit on the visitor's side of the field dressed in their colors. Maybe his son just was not good enough to play with the first string...
Reply With Quote
  #168  
Old 01-03-18, 11:05 AM
Comets111 Comets111 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 11-02-16
Posts: 135
Comets111 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CometInTheSky View Post
Word on the street is that the senior QB's (that was benched) dad decided to sit on the visitor's side of the field dressed in their colors. Maybe his son just was not good enough to play with the first string...
lol you are a joke, he was better than his son and that's not even a question and maybe he wanted the #7 of wait Mcpoop held the jersey for his son who had more turnovers the completions lol now that's not good enough to play. have fun loosing to aurora, stow, mentor, Euclid, and maybe Brunswick or strongsville and this will mean no playoffs again
Reply With Quote
  #169  
Old 01-03-18, 12:58 PM
olderbwalum olderbwalum is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 08-11-17
Posts: 10
olderbwalum is on a distinguished road
The beauty of sports

Is that we can all agree to disagree.

God bless the kids that play and compete. High-school sports and specifically through my experience playing - a football team and locker room is outstanding to be a part of.

With that, the QB situation last season was not good. Anyone in the program knew going into the season that that was the case and it was proven on the field early.

The senior in question just didn't have it. It's a shame what has gone down as a result of it.

Go Comets!
Reply With Quote
  #170  
Old 01-05-18, 02:51 PM
fbrox fbrox is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 08-23-10
Posts: 636
fbrox is on a distinguished road
Id send my kid anywhere but Solon at this point. The parents are out of control. McQuaide is a man I've known for 25 years. He's always put kids first. Anyone who disagrees either doesn't know him or is unhappy that their kid isn't a starter. If this board gives into these parents, they will give away control of decision making.
Reply With Quote
  #171  
Old 01-08-18, 10:05 AM
Thunderstruck2652 Thunderstruck2652 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 09-19-08
Posts: 175
Thunderstruck2652 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrox View Post
Id send my kid anywhere but Solon at this point. The parents are out of control. McQuaide is a man I've known for 25 years. He's always put kids first. Anyone who disagrees either doesn't know him or is unhappy that their kid isn't a starter. If this board gives into these parents, they will give away control of decision making.
All that you're doing is proving my point; the school board has been consistently refusing to seriously investigate parent concerns related to the football program for many years now. Every time, they attempt to discredit the kids and their parents rather than engage in an honest discussion.

All that I'm saying is that it makes you and every other person in that school look really bad when all you can do is circle the wagon and not answer to the people who make the community what it is. The community pays the taxes that keep the facilities operational, pay the teachers salaries and supply the kids. All that I'm saying is that with all of the things that the community provides, it is not asking too much for the school administration to provide a statement that "After investigating the points raised by the parents at the BOE meeting on mm/dd/yy, we've determined the following....."

If such a response from the school cannot be provided then they deserve the negative press and they deserve to be turned down on future school levies. Never forget that the school system isn't a private enterprise, they are answerable to the community.
Reply With Quote
  #172  
Old 01-08-18, 01:45 PM
bagobones bagobones is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 01-30-17
Posts: 132
bagobones is on a distinguished road
The administration is not going to get rid of McQuaide. He will be the Solon HC for 2018.
Reply With Quote
  #173  
Old 01-08-18, 06:05 PM
Comets111 Comets111 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 11-02-16
Posts: 135
Comets111 is on a distinguished road
Aurora=loss
Twinsburg=50/50
stow=loss
Elyria=win
Strongsville=50/50
Brunswick=50/50
Euclid=loss
Mentor=loss
Shaker=Should win but never know
Medina=should win but never know

1 win and a couple should be wins but with this coaching staff I can see a 2-8 3-7 record this year, but for sure another season sitting at home for the playoffs
Reply With Quote
  #174  
Old 01-09-18, 03:53 PM
Thunderstruck2652 Thunderstruck2652 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 09-19-08
Posts: 175
Thunderstruck2652 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagobones View Post
The administration is not going to get rid of McQuaide. He will be the Solon HC for 2018.
McQuaide is a terrible choice as a football coach entrusted to lead teenage young men; during the time that I've had the displeasure of dealing with him he has consistently played politics at the expense of his kids to save himself from criticism - most of the time with direct help from the Athletic Director Mark McGuire who on his face is one of the most arrogant people that I think most people will ever meet. I can't name a time that's ever occurred in which when something went wrong it wasn't the fault of someone else other than McQuaide. Team underachieved? Blame the kids. Someone on the team spoke out of turn (or asked for a basic explanation of something)? You're benched for the rest of the year. Disagreement between the coach and the parents of one of the players? Sorry Johnny, I can't help you with that letter of recommendation for college despite your four years of dedication to the Solon Football Program.

If I had to describe McQuaide in one way it would be two-faced; he can act like the nicest guy in the world to your face but don't be fooled because he's thrown countless former players of his under the bus and will continue to do so in the future if it means he doesn't have to face an honest review of his job performance. That's probably why there are dramatically varying accounts of how people feel about him - not everybody has seen the disingenuous side of the man but those who have seen it are generally struck pretty hard by how stark it is in contrast to the public image that's being promoted.

The way that the school board has prioritized protecting those two individuals specifically (McQuaide and McGuire) and the brand image of the school over the well-being of the kids is disgusting and is the number one reason why the trust that the community's trust in the BOE is at an all-time low at least in the last 30 years which I've lived in the community. The people in charge at this point are painfully incapable of providing direct and honest answers to simple questions being asked by concerned parents and community members, which in turn feeds the narrative that these people care more about themselves than their students. School report cards aside, the morality at the school has gone down the toilet completely, so much so that I do not believe that if the school had to pass a levy today in order to fund its budgeted needs that they'd be able to find the support from the community at this point.

Last edited by Thunderstruck2652; 01-10-18 at 09:02 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #175  
Old 01-10-18, 02:21 PM
Comets111 Comets111 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 11-02-16
Posts: 135
Comets111 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagobones View Post
The administration is not going to get rid of McQuaide. He will be the Solon HC for 2018.
and with that I really hope it is his last, if he again does not make the playoffs are AD will look like a a bigger idiot than he already is for keeping Mcpoop around.
Reply With Quote
  #176  
Old 01-10-18, 02:22 PM
olderbwalum olderbwalum is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 08-11-17
Posts: 10
olderbwalum is on a distinguished road
Set your personal vendetta aside!

McQuaide will be the coach next season - and he should be. We the people of Solon have spoken!!

Jeez, a couple of sets of parents that are pissy that their Tom Brady clones got benched (rightfully so) will not take down a school levy and an entire district.

But, keep writing and spewing - it's pretty comical for everyone to read.

Or, maybe it's time to move on from Solon??

And with that, I'm done responding to this thread.

GO COMETS!
Reply With Quote
  #177  
Old 01-10-18, 04:59 PM
bmss17 bmss17 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 08-25-10
Posts: 179
bmss17 is on a distinguished road
http://www.cleveland.com/solon/index...rt_river_index

Solid article that describes further "backlash" for McQuaide. As I have said before, if you want to argue Xs & Os that's fine, I get it...but it's ridiculous the mud slinging that's taking place. Bottom line, Regano said that the investigation had been conducted and will be reported at the next meeting. I guess we can all wait until then; if I'm wrong about McQuaide being a stand up guy based on the report, then I will admit that. If the report comes back clean, then all of you will just yell cover-up, so really what's the point?

Bottom line, no way you can tell me that this has sparked such controversy that the district is in shambles; it's actually quite the opposite, the district is as healthy as ever. It's so far ahead academically...if anyone on the board or in the district was worried about the reputation of the district, no way they would have put up the monster levy that they did last night.
Reply With Quote
  #178  
Old 01-10-18, 10:09 PM
Comets111 Comets111 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 11-02-16
Posts: 135
Comets111 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmss17 View Post
http://www.cleveland.com/solon/index...rt_river_index

Solid article that describes further "backlash" for McQuaide. As I have said before, if you want to argue Xs & Os that's fine, I get it...but it's ridiculous the mud slinging that's taking place. Bottom line, Regano said that the investigation had been conducted and will be reported at the next meeting. I guess we can all wait until then; if I'm wrong about McQuaide being a stand up guy based on the report, then I will admit that. If the report comes back clean, then all of you will just yell cover-up, so really what's the point?

Bottom line, no way you can tell me that this has sparked such controversy that the district is in shambles; it's actually quite the opposite, the district is as healthy as ever. It's so far ahead academically...if anyone on the board or in the district was worried about the reputation of the district, no way they would have put up the monster levy that they did last night.
I think it is funny that they brought in a guy who was a top player in Solon history which of course is going to back the coach, why not bring in players that didn't get a chance due to the coaches playing favorites and or their sons? Also of course the coaches are going to back him so that they don't get fired, this was so scripted, what a joke and what are they going to say next year when he again fails to reach the postseason blame it on the talent? If he is such a great guy and coach then he should get the best out of what he has and he continues to never do that. All I have to say to the players is get on the coaches good side or ask to be adopted by one of the coaches and you will never sit the bench. Solon is no longer a football school, thankfully we have boys and girls basketball
Reply With Quote
  #179  
Old 01-10-18, 10:59 PM
bmss17 bmss17 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 08-25-10
Posts: 179
bmss17 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comets111 View Post
I think it is funny that they brought in a guy who was a top player in Solon history which of course is going to back the coach, why not bring in players that didn't get a chance due to the coaches playing favorites and or their sons? Also of course the coaches are going to back him so that they don't get fired, this was so scripted, what a joke and what are they going to say next year when he again fails to reach the postseason blame it on the talent? If he is such a great guy and coach then he should get the best out of what he has and he continues to never do that. All I have to say to the players is get on the coaches good side or ask to be adopted by one of the coaches and you will never sit the bench. Solon is no longer a football school, thankfully we have boys and girls basketball
1. Who sat the bench all year this year that should have gotten playing time? Please cite actual players, not just generalizations.

2. No coach was getting fired if they refused to go before the board; they all went on their own volition. Fact.

3. The one player that came was more than the zero players who have spoke publicly about the "culture of abuse". There have also been a ton more emails from former players in support of McQuaide and the staff.

4. No program is NEO has been to the playoffs more than Solon since McQuaide took over. People always go back to their "easier schedule" even though they've played in the best conference in NEO the past ten years. They've made it to the Sweet 16 more than 50% of the time. I don't hear anyone talking about Solon's schedule pre-McQuaide, where they primarily played in an average WRC North and an average (at best) CVC.
Reply With Quote
  #180  
Old 01-11-18, 05:05 PM
Comets111 Comets111 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 11-02-16
Posts: 135
Comets111 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmss17 View Post
1. Who sat the bench all year this year that should have gotten playing time? Please cite actual players, not just generalizations.

2. No coach was getting fired if they refused to go before the board; they all went on their own volition. Fact.

3. The one player that came was more than the zero players who have spoke publicly about the "culture of abuse". There have also been a ton more emails from former players in support of McQuaide and the staff.

4. No program is NEO has been to the playoffs more than Solon since McQuaide took over. People always go back to their "easier schedule" even though they've played in the best conference in NEO the past ten years. They've made it to the Sweet 16 more than 50% of the time. I don't hear anyone talking about Solon's schedule pre-McQuaide, where they primarily played in an average WRC North and an average (at best) CVC.
So you will be okay with not making the playoffs again next season? Are you okay that ya they make the playoffs but never go anywhere? I played from 09-11 we had good teams due to the players not because of him, and those years we had good coaches but he let them go, surdy, the o-line coach,. Are you okay with the terrible play calling that has and will continue? Are you okay with the bad defensive calls so that we give up big points against good teams? 0-3 vs stow? losing to shaker and medina? Yes he has many wins at Solon but really how many were against mentor,iggy,eds,glenville,stow. A good coach would win at least 1 or 2 of them. Most coaches would beat twinsburg and brunswick and strongsville and shaker and medina. So i am still trying ti figure out why he is such a great coach?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2017 Division I Schedules EagleFan Archives 66 10-25-17 11:29 AM
Greater Cleveland Conference 2017 cardzfan1234 Football 37 09-09-17 08:41 AM
2017 CW Columbus Thursday Night Lights Schedule Monarch_Pride Football 1 07-03-17 11:43 AM
2017 MHSBCA (Michigan!) Awards - 06/20/17 seclmw Baseball 0 06-20-17 06:57 AM
100 Days left before the beginning of the 2017 Ohio High School Football Season IUDOGS Football 0 05-15-17 07:42 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:27 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz