Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-07-18, 09:07 PM
All Ohio

Webster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit 29 View Post
Just found out the board will aprove Barak Faulk on Monday. This is definitely a step in the right direction. My biggest question is if he is going to be in the school? For this rebuild to gain some serious traction that is needed in my opinion.

He ran the 3-3 stack when he was at Mason, assuming Faulk sticks with that. I wonder what offense he will run?

He ran the 3-3-5 at Monroe years back. Ran a 4-2-5 at Mason.. Iím assuming he will bring his son. I think he lettered as a sophomore at Mason. Should be an impact player for Monroe, will he have to sit out 5 games?
Old 01-07-18, 09:44 PM
All Ohio

Exit 29 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster View Post
He ran the 3-3-5 at Monroe years back. Ran a 4-2-5 at Mason.. Iím assuming he will bring his son. I think he lettered as a sophomore at Mason. Should be an impact player for Monroe, will he have to sit out 5 games?
I think Faulk lives in Monroe so that could be interesting. His son open enrolled at Mason so I am not sure how that situation plays out. Kid could be a difference maker on a team lacking in many areas. With his son being brought back, it should increase participation considering he knows the kids and the parents.

Hopefully he can be in the school, Leach was a bad coach but not being in the school hurt big time. Do you know if Faulk will be in the school? Also, I think a big thing that needs to be done is ridding the program of the Princeton influence. Hopefully he is able to bring in his own guys. I think Braden Mcmonigle was at Mason, maybe he comes back to Monroe? I would assume Jason Osterman stays on staff, will Faulk let him do his thing or will he want his handprint on offense as well?

Iím optimistic this is the answer. Personally I think he should have been the hire 5 years ago.
Old 01-07-18, 10:28 PM
Varsity

Monroe17 is on a distinguished road
Agreed he should have been hired back then. We all knew then Bauer had his eyes on one man only his best buddy Leach. Granted you have to have the talent but if you don't have quality coaches pushing the kids to reach their full potential there's not much to be done. I think Osterman should be kept he's a fine quality coach and well liked with the kids. Faulk was the only coach good coach Stubb's had back then. Faulk graduated from Monroe am I correct? Maybe Mcmonigle could coach WRs? There is 2 intervention positions open at Monroe currently so you can pretty much say Faulk will be in the school. You can bet we will run a 4-2-5 defense pending what personnel Faulk has to work with. Anyone know what offense Mason runs? Whatever offense Faulk and his guys decide to run I hope we can establish a power run game. Other than Vires a few years back we ain't been able to run the football worth a crap. Osterman can pass the ball good we just need our receivers to learn to catch. Tejean Rice is pretty decent and has good skill set. I'm pretty hopefull for the future and optimistic Faulk can crack the whip and light a fire under the kids. I don't expect much this fall but I think next year we'll start to see some real improvement and culture change. We don't have really any elite talent right now but we've got some good kids with potential and just need to develop the talent we got so kids can see if they put their minds to it good things can happen in the end something Leach and his crew failed miserably at.
Old 01-07-18, 11:16 PM
All Ohio

Faulk did graduate from Monroe, early 90’s I believe. Mason ran a shotgun wing t I believe the past 2 years but before then it was more of a traditional wing t. You will see a attitude. change which will bring some physicality and toughness back to Monroe football. I expect there to be some excitement and a new feel to the program this fall, but I think 1-5 wins is what we should expect. Anything more than 5 wins would be gravy and definitely a incredible sign of things to come. I have a feeling it will be a tough year but by year 2 I think Monroe will contend for a winning season.
Old 01-08-18, 08:48 AM
Varsity

Probably guess we'll be running the shotgun wing t if not might be more spread attack. Don't really have a good offensive line that can block to run the Wing-T. If Monroe does run more of the same spread offense at least Osterman(assuming he is kept) can mix things up and actually able to tell when things are and aren't working unlike Mr Milty. Monroe has been a spread team for who knows how long other than the I'll fated Meibers era.
Old 01-08-18, 09:44 AM
All Yappi

Emullet1 is on a distinguished road
The wing-t doesn't require huge linemen. Quick and smart works better. Big and slow is a detriment. I wish Snively had got the job. Would love to see Monroe mired in mediocrety for 15 or 20 years.
Old 01-08-18, 07:03 PM
Freshman

Hornets08 is on a distinguished road
I’ve heard Faulk was a coach at Monroe when the spread was ran so maybe he sticks with it
Old 01-08-18, 07:24 PM
All World

cheaptilt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emullet1 View Post
The wing-t doesn't require huge linemen. Quick and smart works better. Big and slow is a detriment. I wish Snively had got the job. Would love to see Monroe mired in mediocrety for 15 or 20 years.
emullet man i love and miss ya lol
Old 01-10-18, 01:11 PM
All Region

NewOldBlood is on a distinguished road
This is a good hire for Monroe. My son is coming up through pee-wee and I will be thrilled for him to play for Faulk. Good man, good coach, and good teacher. I believe if his son comes back to Monroe, he does not have to sit five games since he is returning to his home district. I'm not 100%, but I'm pretty sure that's the way the transfer rule works for open enrollment students. He will have an immediate impact in the SWBL.
Old 01-10-18, 01:47 PM
All Ohio

After reading the OHSAA bylaws I believe his son would be available to play right away. Kid was 6'2 210 as a sophmore so with a good offseason he could definitely be a force in the SWBL. Faulk will definitely light a fire in the kids, the weak ones may quit. My biggest question is if he is going to have a position in the school. That is something that needs to be done.
Old 01-10-18, 02:44 PM
All American

marvinlewis08 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
After reading the OHSAA bylaws I believe his son would be available to play right away. Kid was 6'2 210 as a sophmore so with a good offseason he could definitely be a force in the SWBL. Faulk will definitely light a fire in the kids, the weak ones may quit. My biggest question is if he is going to have a position in the school. That is something that needs to be done.
You would think this was a priority, however the discrepancy in pay between Mason and Monroe is pretty substantial. Dont know Faulks situation but would likely be hard to bridge the gap unless he comes in some type of administration role (or Dean of Students, etc)
Old 01-10-18, 03:23 PM
All American

SouthwestOhioGuy17 is on a distinguished road
Monroe's Barak Faulk

New Monroe coach believes 'this is the place to be'

http://www.journal-news.com/sports/p...IParYqvRiNEAN/
Old 01-10-18, 04:07 PM
All Ohio

From the article, this is going to be a big change in Monroe. It seems to me like a complete 180, and that is what the program needed. I like the switch to the wing-t and I like the emphasis on defense and special teams. I don't expect a whole lot this year but I believe there will be a new feel to this program and "maybe" they surprise some people.
Old 01-11-18, 01:38 PM
Varsity

Anybody have ideas of who Faulk may hire as OC and DC? It would be nice to get someone with experience running the wing t not saying you have to but it would be a nice get. Will be fun to see Monroe switch to a 4-2-5 defense instead of the old 3-3, 3-4, 4-3 whatever they ran for the last 8 years.
Old 01-11-18, 01:58 PM
Varsity

wing-tcoach is on a distinguished road
Isn't there a coach with Mason Wing-T experience in the district? Could be mistaken.
Old 01-11-18, 02:24 PM
All Ohio

cincifbfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monroe17 View Post
Anybody have ideas of who Faulk may hire as OC and DC? It would be nice to get someone with experience running the wing t not saying you have to but it would be a nice get. Will be fun to see Monroe switch to a 4-2-5 defense instead of the old 3-3, 3-4, 4-3 whatever they ran for the last 8 years.
Why does everyone have an obsession with 4-2-5? I know it's the new sexy defense and all, but it can be quite susceptible to power run teams and play action pass. I could be wrong, but don't most people in Monroe's conference play that type of football?
Seems like the 4-2-5 would not be what you would want. Just asking, not too familiar with everyone in the conference.
Old 01-11-18, 03:34 PM
All Ohio

Pull-to-Trap is on a distinguished road
Its the preferred defense to stop the spread, which the majority are running currently.
Old 01-11-18, 05:17 PM
All World

The Myth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincifbfan View Post
Why does everyone have an obsession with 4-2-5? I know it's the new sexy defense and all, but it can be quite susceptible to power run teams and play action pass. I could be wrong, but don't most people in Monroe's conference play that type of football?
Seems like the 4-2-5 would not be what you would want. Just asking, not too familiar with everyone in the conference.
I can say after watching Faulk's defense at Mason the last two years, it isn't about being sexy. Its a super disciplined approach. He will probably bring his front 6 on almost every play. Then the corners are usually pressing and the force players. So hopefully you have some pretty good corners. Then your 3 safeties are all pretty lax. If you play a team that runs the ball a lot it actually be pretty successful due to the ability to bring pressure. Mason had 6 shutouts last year with two of them being playoff teams.

I don't know if Faulk ever coached anything offensively at Mason. He was always the LB coach and special teams coordinator. That last part is probably the most exciting part. He does some interesting things on special teams. You will not lose because of special teams but you may win a game because of it. People always mock Mason for running the corny swinging gate PAT play. But it works multiple times a year when teams don't practice against it.

Mason is going to miss Faulk for sure.
Old 01-11-18, 06:57 PM
All Ohio

cincifbfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Myth View Post
I can say after watching Faulk's defense at Mason the last two years, it isn't about being sexy. Its a super disciplined approach. He will probably bring his front 6 on almost every play. Then the corners are usually pressing and the force players. So hopefully you have some pretty good corners. Then your 3 safeties are all pretty lax. If you play a team that runs the ball a lot it actually be pretty successful due to the ability to bring pressure. Mason had 6 shutouts last year with two of them being playoff teams.

I don't know if Faulk ever coached anything offensively at Mason. He was always the LB coach and special teams coordinator. That last part is probably the most exciting part. He does some interesting things on special teams. You will not lose because of special teams but you may win a game because of it. People always mock Mason for running the corny swinging gate PAT play. But it works multiple times a year when teams don't practice against it.

Mason is going to miss Faulk for sure.
I agree that Masons defense has been stout as ever past few years. Was he the coordinator of that defense?
Old 01-11-18, 07:32 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincifbfan View Post
I agree that Masons defense has been stout as ever past few years. Was he the coordinator of that defense?
He was the DC the last two years and I think he ran special teams for awhile.
Old 01-12-18, 01:41 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monroe17 View Post
Personally, I would be surprised if anyone but Faulk ran the defense. Although him and Chris Wells are close and Wells ran the same style of defense at Madison and Middletown. I think Wells is happy coaching at MC but is that a paid position?

Offensively I have no idea who would coordinate that, maybe he brings someone from Mason or looks at bringing someone in from a school that runs the wing-t.
Old 01-12-18, 06:14 PM
All World

Quote:
Personally, I would be surprised if anyone but Faulk ran the defense. Although him and Chris Wells are close and Wells ran the same style of defense at Madison and Middletown. I think Wells is happy coaching at MC but is that a paid position?

Offensively I have no idea who would coordinate that, maybe he brings someone from Mason or looks at bringing someone in from a school that runs the wing-t.
All the Wing T people at Mason left before 2017. They were all from Glen Este and went back to coach at West Clermont when it opened. Mason ran a heavy run first form of spread.

You can youtube a couple of Mason's games. I am pretty sure there are like 4 or 5 full games on there.
Old 01-20-18, 10:04 PM
All District

WHATS_the_MML? is on a distinguished road
How’s the atmosphere in the weight room? Numbers? Is Faulk keeping the current staff or any ideas on who he is bringing with him? I’m excited to see (or hopefully) a culture change at Monroe. Iffy on the Wing T but maybe this could build some much needed toughness throughout the program.
Old 01-21-18, 02:06 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHATS_the_MML? View Post
Howís the atmosphere in the weight room? Numbers? Is Faulk keeping the current staff or any ideas on who he is bringing with him? Iím excited to see (or hopefully) a culture change at Monroe. Iffy on the Wing T but maybe this could build some much needed toughness throughout the program.
Probably too early to know at the moment. I do think the switch to the wing t will be tough at first but I it will establish some toughness to the program. I think this year could be a long year but I do think they will improve as a product. I just donít expect anything more than 2-4 wins. This program has a long way to go but you really never know.
Old 02-04-18, 07:57 PM
Freshman

Hornets08 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHATS_the_MML? View Post
Howís the atmosphere in the weight room? Numbers? Is Faulk keeping the current staff or any ideas on who he is bringing with him? Iím excited to see (or hopefully) a culture change at Monroe. Iffy on the Wing T but maybe this could build some much needed toughness throughout the program.
Iíve heard there has been 20-25 kids showing up every day. Thatís a good number to start out with but hopefully more will show.
Old 02-08-18, 12:55 PM
All Region

BaBa au Rum is on a distinguished road
Great hire! Known this young man for quite some time. The Hornets are in good hands!
Old 02-21-18, 03:21 PM
All Ohio

CitrusCrunch is on a distinguished road
hope we can focus on some football now and not coaching issues but we all know it dont take long for some folk to get antsy. agreed give him a year or two to set his feet but things are lookin pretty good about now. go hornets