Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > College Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-04-18, 04:30 PM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
Saban seems to be a little rattled that 'Bama students weren't overly enthusiastic about showing up for an 11am kickoff as a 49 point favorite.

Maybe there's a lesson in there about scheduling semi-respectable non-conference opponents.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-18, 04:32 PM
All World

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
What student wakes up before 10am on a Saturday to watch an FCS school?
Old 10-04-18, 04:37 PM
All Yappi

Frankly, I'm surprised they had as many students as they had in the few video clips I've seen. An 11am kickoff is really early for the average college kid, especially considering the opponent.

Old 10-04-18, 05:02 PM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
The SEC apologists I was listening to today on sport talk was blaming the NCAA for not making Conferences move to 9 game Conference schedules. They said the ACC was 1st to do the 8 game conference schedule along w/ scheduling FCS opponents and the SEC is only following along. That argument doesn't really hold muster as Duke, Wake, UVA, BC, etc... do this to get Bowl eligible and not as a pathway to the playoffs.

By the way, 'Bama is a 30+ point favorite on the road at Arkansas. While Rutgers gets beat up as the worst Power 5 team Arkansas is not far behind and the Scarlet Knights don't have have a quarter of the history that the Razorbacks have. What the heck happened to the Arkansas program?
Old 10-04-18, 05:13 PM
All Yappi

I think Arkansas is dealing with the "where do our players have to come from?" reality that a few others such as Nebraska are experiencing at the moment.

I think the bottom line is if Texas, A&M, TCU, etc. all have recruiting momentum or good programs, Arkansas is going to struggle. When you factor in Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and LSU, I don't really see room for Arkansas to be a recruiting power in Texas at the moment.

Old 10-04-18, 05:38 PM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Without looking it up, it always seems like Bama is one of the only top programs to not schedule home-and-homes with other top programs. They always go for the one-off neutral site games.
Old 10-04-18, 05:48 PM
All Yappi

Here are all of Alabama's OOC road games against P5 teams since Saban took over in 2007:

2011 @ Penn State
2010 @ Duke

Honestly, that's pathetic. Can't wait to see what their attendance is like in November when the mighty Citadel travels to Tuscaloosa to collect their check.
Old 10-04-18, 05:50 PM
All Yappi

The only home-and-home I can recall them having under Saban was with Penn State at the end of the Joe Pa days.

Old 10-04-18, 06:02 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
Here are all of Alabama's OOC road games against P5 teams since Saban took over in 2007:

2011 @ Penn State
2010 @ Duke

Honestly, that's pathetic. Can't wait to see what their attendance is like in November when the mighty Citadel travels to Tuscaloosa to collect their check.
Any non-SEC perennial power would be reamed endlessly in the media as being chicken chits if they scheduled this way.

Imagine if for their three non-league games every year, Ohio State played a "neutral" site kickoff game in Indy or Detroit, and then played a MAC team and Youngstown State.

Old 10-04-18, 06:15 PM
All Yappi

What's baffling is that they have no reason to be chicken chits. They've been the best program in college football for the last decade. I just don't get it.
Old 10-04-18, 06:36 PM
All World

There marquee game next year is in Atlanta against Duke lol

I dont see why they have any incentive to schedule anyone good when it is clear they can get to the playoffs with one loss and not even winning the conference. The Florida State game was the marquee game last year and it ended up not being a big win. This year U of L isnt any good and they could take a loss and still potentially get in.

Look at it from OSU's point of view. They may have gotten in the playoffs last year if they hadnt scheduled Oklahoma.

College football in its current format doesnt incentivize teams from scheduling tough OOC games. Maybe there needs to be more emphasis on wins from the committee.
Old 10-04-18, 06:43 PM
All Yappi

All of what you said is fine, but then don't b!tch and moan about fans not wanting to watch a 50 point drubbing against community colleges.

Idk man, obviously being an Alabama fan is pretty great, but I love OSU playing home-and-homes every year against top programs.
Old 10-05-18, 09:28 AM
All World

I think college football would be better if they incentivized playing good teams. Maybe an expansion of the playoffs or more emphasis on quality wins vs losses.
Old 10-05-18, 09:59 AM
All Yappi

cjb56 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
All of what you said is fine, but then don't b!tch and moan about fans not wanting to watch a 50 point drubbing against community colleges.

Idk man, obviously being an Alabama fan is pretty great, but I love OSU playing home-and-homes every year against top programs.
OSU has always done a good job with the non-league home and home series, but there is a gaping hole in the 2019 schedule, due to the TCU series going from home and home to one neutral. Expect OSU to get called out for a 2019 non-league schedule of Florida Atlantic, Cincinnati and Miami (OH). The only hope is Cincy having a huge 2018 and going into 2019 ranked.

2020 starts a home and home with Oregon.
Old 10-05-18, 10:03 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
I think college football would be better if they incentivized playing good teams. Maybe an expansion of the playoffs or more emphasis on quality wins vs losses.
The solution to that has always been auto-bids for each Power 5 champ, and three wild card spots go to the three best non-champs...or exceptional Group of 5 team...in an eight team playoff.

By doing that, you are not penalized for playing tough OOC games, as they can only help your SOS if you don't win your league and are looking for one of the at-large bids.
Old 10-05-18, 10:04 AM
All Yappi

Expansion is a must, IMO. 4 was a good start, but it needs to be 8 or 16. Personally I'd prefer 16 with all conference champs and 6 at-large bids.
Old 10-05-18, 10:07 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Expansion is a must, IMO. 4 was a good start, but it needs to be 8 or 16. Personally I'd prefer 16 with all conference champs and 6 at-large bids.
I don't think the P5's will ever go for 16 and sharing the pie with the "lesser" leagues, so eight is the best we will ever get. Quite frankly, I don't see why there isn't more of a push for eight from the P5's, as it hurts them to have four spots for five leagues and one P5 is always guaranteed to miss the playoffs.
Old 10-05-18, 10:27 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
The main reason we are at 4 is to keep the legacy bowls happy. Move to 8 and the Rose Bowl gets that much less important and they have paid out so much in $s over the years they will be lobbying really hard to keep top 10 teams in their game. Also there is an issue with the extra game. Right now teams in the title game will have played 15 games, add another round and that means 16 games. That is an NFL regular season. Compare it to hoops where the NCAA only plays half a NBA schedule. Remember according to the NCAA we are talking student athletes.
Old 10-05-18, 11:08 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb56 View Post
I don't think the P5's will ever go for 16 and sharing the pie with the "lesser" leagues, so eight is the best we will ever get. Quite frankly, I don't see why there isn't more of a push for eight from the P5's, as it hurts them to have four spots for five leagues and one P5 is always guaranteed to miss the playoffs.
I don't disagree, my idea is more of a perfect-world scenario. I like the idea of every conference being represented, not only because I think teams like App St., Troy, Boise etc. could surprise people, but also because as it stands the season is useless for 99% of G5 teams other than just trying to make one of the numerous bowl games that no one cares about. Could possibly bring a little more parity to college football as well since essentially every team would then have a chance at the playoffs.
Old 10-05-18, 11:10 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
The main reason we are at 4 is to keep the legacy bowls happy. Move to 8 and the Rose Bowl gets that much less important and they have paid out so much in $s over the years they will be lobbying really hard to keep top 10 teams in their game. Also there is an issue with the extra game. Right now teams in the title game will have played 15 games, add another round and that means 16 games. That is an NFL regular season. Compare it to hoops where the NCAA only plays half a NBA schedule. Remember according to the NCAA we are talking student athletes.
I don't see the issue with 16 games. Only 2 teams would playing that many anyway. High school kids can do 15 no problem.
Old 10-05-18, 09:09 PM
All Yappi

Louisville is God awful. Yikes. Georgia Tech's doing just about whatever they want against them.

Old 10-06-18, 07:04 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Utah St. - BYU: rivals both coached by alums. Would have hoped for a more competitive game but still interesting.

GTECH: Except for one Bobby Ross year, has always been more hope than reality. Got pitched out of the stadium and my ID confiscated, I'd not even been to my first class yet. I apparently asked the wrong old codger usher the wrong question, "can I sit in the endzone" (it was near empty). Next thing I'm seeing a Dean or some PhD who's asking me, am I a "lover or a fighter." wtf? Welcome to GT. Never got too attached to the school but it was a great time to be in Atlanta for b-ball. Sally and Price were at Tech and Wilkins and Webb were playing for the Hawks.

end of story.
Old 10-06-18, 12:13 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Hook ‘em
Old 10-06-18, 12:16 PM
All American

KingKong24 is on a distinguished road
Texas dominating since OU went down the field with ease on their first drive.
Old 10-06-18, 12:18 PM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Herman is in the zone with play calling right now. The last two drives have been a thing of beauty. The offensive line makes it all possible so they deserve a ton of credit
Old 10-06-18, 12:21 PM
All Yappi

Yeah their offense is a well-oiled machine right now.
Old 10-06-18, 12:34 PM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Perfect answering drive by Oklahoma, leaving Texas with no time to score again before half, where they can make some defensive adjustments
Old 10-06-18, 12:41 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
Herman is in the zone with play calling right now. The last two drives have been a thing of beauty. The offensive line makes it all possible so they deserve a ton of credit
Ironically, Herman's OC/QB coach is Tim Beck.
Old 10-06-18, 01:22 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Alabama 48-14 over Arkansas midway through the 3Q. Only about a month until Alabama gets any real test this season.
Old 10-06-18, 01:37 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Oklahoma’s defense is awful. Wow