Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > Elder Panthers

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-11-18, 05:24 PM
All American

trey2k is an unknown quantity at this point
How many on here think that enrollment will go up even with a new marketing strategy with costs approaching $14k? I just don't think it will matter if costs are that high. It's the first and last thing people look at.

Less and less are paying it. They don't think Elder is a bad school, they just don't see the value in all that it offers at $14k. They see the same school they went to 20 years ago. Same school...3-4x more expensive? Westsiders look for value.

Makes no difference what X, Moeller, LaSalle or Bacon charge. They have to feel that the Elder pricetag is worth the investment. More and more are saying it's not.

Will a new Admissions Director or marketing strategy change that? No.

Will a new Fitness Center? Maybe.

Will a cheaper price tag make people pay attention? Definitely.

Last edited by trey2k; 10-11-18 at 05:36 PM.
Old 10-11-18, 06:17 PM
All American

Omar is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by trey2k View Post
How many on here think that enrollment will go up even with a new marketing strategy with costs approaching $14k? I just don't think it will matter if costs are that high. It's the first and last thing people look at.

Less and less are paying it. They don't think Elder is a bad school, they just don't see the value in all that it offers at $14k. They see the same school they went to 20 years ago. Same school...3-4x more expensive? Westsiders look for value.

Makes no difference what X, Moeller, LaSalle or Bacon charge. They have to feel that the Elder pricetag is worth the investment. More and more are saying it's not.

Will a new Admissions Director or marketing strategy change that? No.

Will a new Fitness Center? Maybe.

Will a cheaper price tag make people pay attention? Definitely.
A new Ad Director COULD change that. It’s all about getting kids interested in the school but he has no control over the tuition and it makes the sell a lot more difficult.

The Fitness Center should help bring in more athletes, but that’s immaterial to the overall enrollment. Improved athletic success could help, but again, I doubt it really makes a dent on its own. Certainly, could help as a part of a cumulative effect.

Tuition is a legit issue. However, it’s a flawed argument to rail on the cost of tuition, then say the tuition of competing schools is irrelevant. That makes absolutely ZERO sense.
Old 10-11-18, 06:53 PM
All American

Because the kids that go to Elder are in a market that's more middle class. Moe is in more of an affluent area. Most families that send kids to X are middle-upper class. The market of a small, very conservative, very value-driven population doesn't lend itself well to paying $14k a year for high school. At $6-8k, now we're talking.

Maybe there is something to the idea of the inclusivity the girls feel at Seton. I'm guessing they're not too far off of Elder's tuition, and their enrollment is growing. Most girls seem to find their path at Seton - everything seems important there, whether it's the arts, athletics, clubs, etc, etc.

Walk across the street and talk to them as well. There just seems to be something missing where in the past what everyone called the "mystique" could just be felt, and it was the secret sauce that differentiated.
Old 10-11-18, 07:13 PM
All Yappi

PURPLE REIGN is on a distinguished road
Not sure if my numbers are right, but at $14K tuition and 180 actual school days, it costs $77.77 to attend Elder each day

Last edited by PURPLE REIGN; 10-11-18 at 07:30 PM.
Old 10-11-18, 07:33 PM
All American

polar panther is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PURPLE REIGN View Post
Not sure if my numbers are right, but at $14K tuition and 180 actual school days, it costs $77.77 to attend Elder each day
Wow, at $77.77 a day, my freshman tuition would only last for six and a half days
Old 10-11-18, 07:56 PM
All American

Quote:
Because the kids that go to Elder are in a market that's more middle class. Moe is in more of an affluent area. Most families that send kids to X are middle-upper class. The market of a small, very conservative, very value-driven population doesn't lend itself well to paying $14k a year for high school. At $6-8k, now we're talking.

Maybe there is something to the idea of the inclusivity the girls feel at Seton. I'm guessing they're not too far off of Elder's tuition, and their enrollment is growing. Most girls seem to find their path at Seton - everything seems important there, whether it's the arts, athletics, clubs, etc, etc.

Walk across the street and talk to them as well. There just seems to be something missing where in the past what everyone called the "mystique" could just be felt, and it was the secret sauce that differentiated.
If that’s the case, you can’t include Bacon or LS in that sample. You also cannot ignore the quality of the public schools in areas Moe and X draw from.

Last edited by Omar; 10-11-18 at 08:21 PM.
Old 10-11-18, 07:58 PM
All American

Quote:
There has to be something more going on. I’ll ask again, does Elder have sole discretion in setting tuition? I’m suspicious, as always, The Diocese is twisting their arm to raise it as high as possible without going overboard. Squeeze as much blood from the stone until there’s nothing left, then bust it.

Did Mercy have any kind of warning they were on the chopping block? People had suspicions they were in trouble, but maybe if they knew how close they were to the edge they would’ve done something. I don’t want to see the same thing happen to Elder.

Last edited by Omar; 10-11-18 at 08:24 PM.
Old 10-11-18, 08:42 PM
All American

Jerry Maguire is an unknown quantity at this point
When will they break ground on the new fitness center?
Old 10-11-18, 08:46 PM
All American

I thought the announcements said Sepember, but I guess not.
Old 10-11-18, 10:24 PM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoreaso View Post
I believe they were comparing to other schools.
Heard the same thing, but was told Elder gave out the same amount they typically do - but when being compared to X and LS who went well above what they're used to giving then yes it did seem like Elder didn't have as much to offer.
Old 10-11-18, 10:27 PM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Maybe they've decided to wait until after football season?
Old 10-11-18, 10:29 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
Heard the same thing, but was told Elder gave out the same amount they typically do - but when being compared to X and LS who went well above what they're used to giving then yes it did seem like Elder didn't have as much to offer.
Then the question is why? They don’t have as much $ as X, but they’ve got more than LS. This kind of thing gets me pissed bc there’s something very important going on we’re being left in the dark on. And the more shady a situation appears, the more I think the Diocese has its hand in it. Lying, cover ups, bullying it’s what the Diocese does best.

And I know ppl thought I should apologize for my comments on the Diocese in the past, but that’s never going to happen. They’re no different than the Mafia and the unfortunate reality is they own the school and can abuse their authority to Elder’s detriment, anyway they see fit.

Last edited by Omar; 10-11-18 at 10:42 PM.
Old 10-12-18, 06:03 AM
All Region

Fair&Balanced is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
I can see X doing that, but LaSalle continually gives away money they don't have. The debt they have is insurmountable, and it doesn't appear they have to be accountable. That ship will sink. Despite that, I agree that Elder is often a little too conservative with their money. Someone mentioned Seton earlier. They have a strong vibe based on making the girls feel special when they enter through their doors. Elder needs to do the same thing, but in the male version. Make the kids feel special and at the same time help the parents a little more financially, but not to the extent LaSalle did.
Old 10-12-18, 06:17 AM
All American

SMARTY22 is on a distinguished road
How does the Financial Aid work? Had someone post above that the household income was to high to receive FA. Whatís that #? Is there a Formula they use to establish how much FA a family gets? How about some type of FA or discount for the families that have sent kids to Catholic Schools grades 1-12 no matter of income once they enter high school?

This issue also involves Parents wants/needs, decisions. Does the house have to be 400 grand or 325 will work? Does the family need 3 50,000$ Vehicles? It all comes down to personal choices, sadly some rather have a really nice car or house than top notch education for the kids. Nothing any of us can do about that.
Old 10-12-18, 06:58 AM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Insane that it has doubled in the last ten years.
Old 10-12-18, 08:18 AM
Freshman

JusticeLeague3 is on a distinguished road
Or I would talk to the Mount Notre Dame marketing people who have seen an increase in their class sizes the past 2 years, including a whopping 226 freshman from ALL ACROSS THE CITY! Their yard signs are all over the westside and eastside, and they had incoming freshman from Visi, St. Jude, Ignatius and Antoninus the past 2 years. They are killing it; in fact a lot of schools are mimicking their social media posts, including McMercy, Ursuline and Seton. It speaks volumes that girls would leave traditional Seton feeder schools for a school 25 minutes away, but times they are a changing.....Catholic HS recruiting has to reach all over the city now. It's the reality of the situation....
Old 10-12-18, 08:39 AM
All American

The girls GCL schools do a great job of making every kid feel like they belong, whether they play volleyball, run track, play an instrument, entertain in plays, etc, etc. I think Elder does a very poor job at that. There's a lot of focus on a small pocket of sports and athletes, but outside of that, if you're not part of that, I can see how kids and parents get disenfranchised with being ignored.

Take the golf team as an example, or even the volleyball and wrestling success. Those are great stories that you really hear nothing about, and would cast a much wider net in terms of attracting more kids in other things outside of football.

Last edited by trey2k; 10-12-18 at 08:51 AM.
Old 10-12-18, 09:01 AM
All American

Quote:
The girls GCL schools do a great job of making every kid feel like they belong, whether they play volleyball, run track, play an instrument, entertain in plays, etc, etc. I think Elder does a very poor job at that. There's a lot of focus on a small pocket of sports and athletes, but outside of that, if you're not part of that, I can see how kids and parents get disenfranchised with being ignored.

Take the golf team as an example, or even the volleyball and wrestling success. Those are great stories that you really hear nothing about, and would cast a much wider net in terms of attracting more kids in other things outside of football.
You canít treat everyone as special bc then being special doesnít mean anything. Elderís supposed to sell the experience as unique and that it can transform a student into their best self, but all of this coddling makes me want to puke. Youíre not special just for existing.
Old 10-12-18, 09:04 AM
All American

I'm not saying coddle anyone, but where's the marketing/advertising/call outs for the golf team? Where do they market their outstanding wrestling program? Volleyball seems to be the best run program in the school...when are they ever given center stage?

It's just the point of holistically marketing to reach more people. Not everyone plays football (in fact, less and less and less of them are playing football) or is an AP student.

Last edited by trey2k; 10-12-18 at 09:40 AM.
Old 10-12-18, 09:42 AM
All American

Quote:
I'm not saying coddle anyone, but where's the marketing/advertising/call outs for the golf team? Where do they market their outstanding wrestling program? Volleyball seems to be the best run program in the school...when are they ever given center stage?

It's just the point of holistically marketing to reach more people. Not everyone plays football (in fact, less and less and less of them are playing football) or is an AP student.
Those sports and athletics in general aren’t a big enough factor to truly influence enrollment. Athletic success can certainly help, but it will take more than being good at sports to get enrollment back up.
Old 10-12-18, 09:57 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar View Post
Those sports and athletics in general aren’t a big enough factor to truly influence enrollment.
I completely disagree. A small percentage come to play football at Elder...the rest come to experience it. They're not there to simply cheer on the football team.

Maybe 20% of the student population plays football. That means 80% doesn't and does other things.

Yes, football should be marketed more because it brings in game revenue, but the other 80% brings in tuition revenue.
Old 10-12-18, 10:14 AM
All World

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Waiting for City permits. I believe at least one variance was needed for signage and there was some concern for fire/EMT access. I think it is close to being worked out.
Old 10-12-18, 10:16 AM
All American

Quote:
I completely disagree. A small percentage come to play football at Elder...the rest come to experience it. They're not there to simply cheer on the football team.

Maybe 20% of the student population plays football. That means 80% doesn't and does other things.

Yes, football should be marketed more because it brings in game revenue, but the other 80% brings in tuition revenue.
I disagree. Weíre talking about an even smaller # of kids who play those sports. I have a hard time believing, unless the kid is elite, anyone decides to go to a school strictly based on Golf.

Being a successful athletic program can have an impact, but it takes a lot more than that.
Old 10-12-18, 11:15 AM
All Yappi

TylerDurden is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You ever sent a kid to daycare? I've made this point before on here, the reason tuition is viewed as being "outrageous" is because the alternative is no cost at all.
Old 10-12-18, 12:52 PM
All American

Tuition is viewed as outrageous because it's outrageous.
Old 10-12-18, 01:00 PM
All American

Tuition has kept pace and surpassed inflation, wages have not. All of those Middle Mgmt, and blue collar factory jobs are gone. It’d be nearly impossible to have a big Catholic family (4+ kids) and send them to Catholic school.
Old 10-12-18, 02:35 PM
All Yappi

TylerDurden is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Tuition is viewed as outrageous because it's outrageous.
Based on what metric?
Old 10-12-18, 04:07 PM
All American

SMARTY22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar View Post
Tuition has kept pace and surpassed inflation, wages have not. All of those Middle Mgmt, and blue collar factory jobs are gone. Itíd be nearly impossible to have a big Catholic family (4+ kids) and send them to Catholic school.
Depends on said families needs/wants and priorities. Hard and involve some sacrifices sure, impossible I donít think so.
Old 10-12-18, 04:19 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMARTY22 View Post
Depends on said families needs/wants and priorities. Hard and involve some sacrifices sure, impossible I donít think so.
If youíre making 250K, then itís doable. However, the avg salary is what 45-50k?
Old 10-12-18, 04:24 PM
All American

polar panther is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
You ever sent a kid to daycare? I've made this point before on here, the reason tuition is viewed as being "outrageous" is because the alternative is no cost at all.
Yes I did, in the 90ís, and I was surprised how much it cost. At that time it was about just as much as it was to send a teen to St.X, which meant more than Elder. Since then the costs for everything has gone up, but the rate of increase for private high school tuition has far outpaced the rate for daycare