Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-14-19, 10:11 AM
All Yappi

fish82 will become famous soon enoughfish82 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by queencitybuckeye View Post
On a side note, with all respect to Wayne (having friends whose kids played there), shouldn't they win an Ohio title if not multiple before their fans declare them a national brand?
They've appeared in the national rankings a few times, so I can see where one would latch onto the "national brand" thing.

That said, Wayne is no longer discussed on the national level.
Old 05-14-19, 11:09 AM
All American

OUcats82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish82 View Post
They've appeared in the national rankings a few times, so I can see where one would latch onto the "national brand" thing.

That said, Wayne is no longer discussed on the national level.
But I would say they could get back there quickly with the next Braxton Miller caliber to come through as they usually have the supporting cast to compliment a 4-5 star skill player.

They would fall onto most top 10 D1 programs list for Ohio based on past performance/reputation.
Old 05-14-19, 12:21 PM
All American

yakyak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
On a side note, with all respect to Wayne (having friends whose kids played there), shouldn't they win an Ohio title if not multiple before their fans declare them a national brand?
You get a game televised on ESPN (they have), I am ok with the national statement.
Old 05-14-19, 01:19 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakyak View Post
You get a game televised on ESPN (they have), I am ok with the national statement.
One only has to look at the list of nobodies who have played on ESPN over the years to see that's a pretty silly criteria.
Old 05-14-19, 02:51 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUcats82 View Post
But I would say they could get back there quickly with the next Braxton Miller caliber to come through as they usually have the supporting cast to compliment a 4-5 star skill player.

They would fall onto most top 10 D1 programs list for Ohio based on past performance/reputation.
Wayne has very strong back to back classes coming up and they should be back in contention for state in a few years.... that is if everyone sticks around.
Old 05-14-19, 03:56 PM
All Ohio

Ballboy000 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Joe View Post
I find it funny that you are using winning percentages to prove Mike is a good a coach as Minton. Minton played much tougher schools outside of the Dayton area. The Wayne schedule for most of Mikes tenure at Wayne was not very tough, especially during the WOL years. Wayne only became on the football map in the Dayton area with Schneider, but Minton took that to the state and national level.

The reality is that both Schneiders have had relatively little success outside of Dayton. And without Wayne going to state 4 times and Centerville having some state-level teams years ago, the Dayton area Division 1 football pedigree is pathetic. There are only a few coaches in the Dayton area in Division 1 over the years that I would consider to be great and both Schneiders wouldn't be part of that list. Very few outside of Dayton would consider the Schneiders to be great coaches, but plenty outside of Dayton would consider Minton to be a great one.

The reality is that those in this thread propping up Schneider to denigrate Wayne's success after him and Minton himself are just showing their jealousy, just like the whiners that say they recruited. Wayne is not some rich Catholic school that can pay people to move in and play football, but there is no doubt that kids transferred in for better success outside the Dayton area. The Wayne fans supported the kids just like everyone one else would in the same situation. Wayne, and to some extent Centerville, were at least able to prove that Dayton area Division 1 football wasn't all mediocre. There have been some other teams here and there that had some regular season success in Dayton, but very few did much beyond that.

Just like most Wayne threads that pop up on Yappi, people are using it as an opportunity to trash Wayne and its success under Minton...
I don't know how you are reading all of that into what I said. No one is propping up Mike Schneider to denigrate Jay Minton, who is obviously a great coach. Just giving credit where credit is due.

The reality is that if Mike Schneider had not come to Wayne and turned the Warriors pitiful football program into a local powerhouse then Jay Minton would have never even considered transferring his skills up to Huber Heights, Ohio from Boca Raton, Florida. If not for Mike Schneider, Wayne football would not even be a thought today. That is just the reality of it.
Old 05-14-19, 04:38 PM
All American

aged jock is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Indio View Post
aged jock,
I know for a fact you are wrong. They get their tuition paid for in full. And if they have siblings, they will find a way to get them too.
Fact!
My family has earned dozens of athletic and academic letters from Local Catholic schools and a couple in Cincinnati. Around 30 students. Moeller, Elder, CJ, Alter. Schools paid for none of them. Family paid. I graduated more than 50 years ago. Never heard of any athletic financial help.

Besides, if someone pays a kid’s tuition to give him or her a great education, I can’t see how that is anyone else’s business. Every kid in public schools has others paying, including me.

No one is paid to go to Catholic schools. Period. And those schools are far from rich.

So, what are you talking about?
Old 05-14-19, 05:44 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by aged jock View Post
My family has earned dozens of athletic and academic letters from Local Catholic schools and a couple in Cincinnati. Around 30 students. Moeller, Elder, CJ, Alter. Schools paid for none of them. Family paid. I graduated more than 50 years ago. Never heard of any athletic financial help.

Besides, if someone pays a kid’s tuition to give him or her a great education, I can’t see how that is anyone else’s business. Every kid in public schools has others paying, including me.

No one is paid to go to Catholic schools. Period. And those schools are far from rich.

I know Alter and CJ give out a couple of scholarships each year to students that meet the lower income criteria, etc;. That is probably what they are talking about.
Old 05-14-19, 10:10 PM
Varsity

Barbershoptalk is on a distinguished road
Quote:

You better turn those hearing aids up Jocko, Ballboy will drop some knowledge on you. The guy has some insight on what’s going on in HS football.
Old 05-14-19, 10:19 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbershoptalk View Post
You better turn those hearing aids up Jocko, Ballboy will drop some knowledge on you. The guy has some insight on what’s going on in HS football.
So, again, what is he talking about? There are no “rich Catholic schools” in the Dayton area. He has no knowledge to drop that contradicts that fact.

There are no athletic scholarships from Dayton Area Catholic schools, and no Dayton area Catholic schools that pay anyone to attend. He has no knowledge to drop to contradict that fact.

As for other areas, I have no knowledge. I submit that he doesn’t either.
Old 05-14-19, 10:21 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbershoptalk View Post
Seems that your avatar is appropriate. Barbershop talk is not knowledge.
Old 05-14-19, 10:32 PM
Junior Varsity

bobcat44 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

So they only give athletic scholarships for girls basketball? Maybe OHSAA made a mistake in regards to Alter but doubtful....would imagine football/bbk give more money than gbb
Old 05-14-19, 11:05 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat44 View Post
So they only give athletic scholarships for girls basketball? Maybe OHSAA made a mistake in regards to Alter but doubtful....would imagine football/bbk give more money than gbb
Alter had nothing to do with grade school select teams reimbursing their own fees (around $100) by fundraising. In fact, OHSAA told Alter they should have taken control of the organization. How strange is that? No Alter tuition or fees were paid by the group. Only its own charges the girls’ families had paid before they got to Alter.

Shows you how crazy the rules can be. Every public school district in the state has peewee teams that raise funds for their costs.
Old 05-15-19, 07:27 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
So, again, what is he talking about? There are no “rich Catholic schools” in the Dayton area. He has no knowledge to drop that contradicts that fact.

There are no athletic scholarships from Dayton Area Catholic schools, and no Dayton area Catholic schools that pay anyone to attend. He has no knowledge to drop to contradict that fact.

Lets just say that those 2 scholarships they give out each year, although "legal", can be used to their athletic advantage if they so choose. I don't want to get into it or discuss any further knowledge I have of it. I have friends that coach at the catholic schools. That's all I'm going to say on the subject.
Old 05-15-19, 07:42 AM
All American

And of course every year they have 14 football players, 6 boys basketball, 8 girls basketball, 9 boys soccer, 8 girls soccer, 3 boys golf, 4 girls golf, 10 boys volleyball, 11 girls volleyball, etc., on full scholarships. In fact, nobody pays the over $10,000 annual tuition. That’s why Alter’s so “rich”! It gets no tuition and nobody pays, because it does loads up its sports rosters because everybody knows it’s number one priority is sports.

You folks are delusional.
Old 05-15-19, 07:42 AM
All American

El Indio is on a distinguished road
Quote:

So which is it?

I'm talking about friends/family that I know have gone to Catholic schools. When you lie, I will tell the truth. Period. No big deal. That's why I root for the underdog!
Old 05-15-19, 07:45 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballboy000 View Post
Lets just say that those 2 scholarships they give out each year, although "legal", can be used to their athletic advantage if they so choose. I don't want to get into it or discuss any further knowledge I have of it. I have friends that coach at the catholic schools. That's all I'm going to say on the subject.
That’s right. Those 4.3 students also happen to be 6’8”, run 4.4 40’s and dunk from standstills.
Old 05-15-19, 07:57 AM
All American

El Indio is on a distinguished road
Quote:

So now you're speaking for me?

I told you I have knowledge of Catholics paying for others. Why so bitter? I'm not going to name names you fool.

I think you have no knowledge of the Dayton Area Catholic schools.
Old 05-15-19, 08:05 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
That’s right. Those 4.3 students also happen to be 6’8”, run 4.4 40’s and dunk from standstills.
Only takes a couple of 5 stars on a team to make a huge difference my friend. Better quit while you're ahead. Like I said, I don't want to discuss it any further.
Old 05-15-19, 08:07 AM
All District

VVTommyBoy is on a distinguished road
As interesting as this may be, sorry to stay off topic. I know a few relatives that were asked to pay more because of income. They ended up changing schools ( I know one that thought too many freebies were being given away...don't know if they were at least Catholic ).
Old 05-15-19, 08:52 AM
All Yappi

LOL @ guys like Indio and Ballboy.

So much “first hand knowledge,” but never providing anything close to an actual example.
Old 05-15-19, 08:56 AM
Varsity

DJH is on a distinguished road
I know for a fact that a certain girls bball player at Alter has had her tuition paid for since she trans as a soph by a doctor who has a daughter on the team. So plz stop, Alter is far from clean
Old 05-15-19, 09:03 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish82 View Post
LOL @ guys like Indio and Ballboy.

So much “first hand knowledge,” but never providing anything close to an actual example.
Some things are better left unsaid when friends are involved.
Old 05-15-19, 09:05 AM
All World

queencitybuckeye will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJH View Post
I know for a fact that a certain girls bball player at Alter has had her tuition paid for since she trans as a soph by a doctor
She used to be a guy?
Old 05-15-19, 09:06 AM
All World

queencitybuckeye will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Some things are better left unsaid when friends are involved.
As are claims one is unwilling to prove.
Old 05-15-19, 09:07 AM
All Yappi

tom 48 will become famous soon enough
So, what's new at Wayne?
Old 05-15-19, 09:09 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
As are claims one is unwilling to prove.
True
Old 05-15-19, 12:37 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Seems that your avatar is appropriate. Barbershop talk is not knowledge.
Barbers are street smart, they hear it all
Old 05-15-19, 04:41 PM
All American

Quote:
Only takes a couple of 5 stars on a team to make a huge difference my friend. Better quit while you're ahead. Like I said, I don't want to discuss it any further.
How many 5 stars has a alter had in the last 10 years? Last year’s QB, the highest rated player, went to Catholic grade school, and his Mom and her whole family were Alter grads. His grandpa was one of Alter’s first football and basketball coaches.
Old 05-15-19, 04:42 PM
All American

Quote:
Barbers are street smart, they hear it all
There’s a song about believing half of what you see and none of what you hear. Great advice.