Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-03-19, 02:49 PM
Junior Varsity

Lombardi1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1aa View Post
The area has changed. Demographics plays a part. Money plays a part. Enrollments are falling fo a number of reasons. The church is still embroiled in the priest sex scandal, the abortion question lingers and many younger families are not in tune with old conservative church doctrines. Catholics are falling away from the church in numbers.

In town, the Mooney location is no longer safe and given the cost of tuition, unless you are a professional or small business family, it’s not affordable. Ursuline is actually the better physical location. Police presence around the University area and downtown businesses draws the heaviest protections. The Mooney south side is awash in drugs, crime and guns and little in the area to protect.

It shouldn’t escape attention that football has fallen off a cliff big time in the area. Rare is the major recruit and even rarer, there are no longer annual draft choices in the NFL from the area. That means that good public schools in the area offer a great alternative at NO cost and generally a safer environment. If athletically good, those public school layers still attract the MAC and other mid major/FCS schools.

All things considered, one parochial might survive as a small school, but a central location in Ytown is another no no. The students from southern Trumbull cities and communities would have to leave Ursuline to travel farther to a less safe area and not much changes for Mooney kids from South suburbs of Ytown, increasing travel for them too and in not much safer environment. You might continue to attract minorities from intercity on vouchers, but the rise of East and football coming back to Chaney leaves them with local schools in their neighborhood.

Now, let’s add in a consolidation, even as a smaller parochial, won’t be attractive for public schools to play, leaving them seeking at D-I and DII schools, many of them parochial to play. Yep, Reardon is brought in to revive UHS while Mooney is Still left with their problem HC who can’t win unless he has superior talent, which is dwindling. Not a good situation and projects to the downfall. Not many in the area will care as the loss of star athletes from multiple counties, cities and communities produces average teams. Welcome to the new norm.
I don' t agree that Mooney is more dangerous that the North Side. The reason....and really think about this......There is absolutely NO Business in the South Side (no stores, no 7/11's...no gas stations.....

There is NOTHING to STEAL!!! No homes to rob......all the robbers and thiefs have moved out to Boardman......as that is where the money is.
Old 05-03-19, 02:53 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider#23 View Post
I'm not sure how South Range has anything to do with anything involving Mooney and Ursuline. There never was a big flow of kids leaving South Range for either, and as far as I know there hasn't been a large exit of Mooney/Ursuline kids coming to South Range recently. Sure there are a few here and there, but no large migration.
They got enough Mooney kids over the years to get them deep in the playoffs the last 5-6 years. The Lowry kid is one example whose both brothers attended Mooney.
Old 05-03-19, 02:55 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by nupanther View Post
I thought Bishop Murry said they wanted to keep Mooney in the city to fulfill their duty to the underserved population ( badly paraphrased)
I believe that was an alumni's quote.
Old 05-03-19, 03:40 PM
All Yappi

The Butler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lombardi1 View Post
I don' t agree that Mooney is more dangerous that the North Side. The reason....and really think about this......There is absolutely NO Business in the South Side (no stores, no 7/11's...no gas stations.....

There is NOTHING to STEAL!!! No homes to rob......all the robbers and thiefs have moved out to Boardman......as that is where the money is.
The perception and reality of crime are often vastly different.

I see the same thing here in the Canton area.
Old 05-03-19, 05:28 PM
All American

Paladin1aa is on a distinguished road
Locate where the schools are. Ursuline has a heavy police presence around it as the University and downtown businesses are earnestly protected. See Mooney. What is to protect there ? Drive around there and you will see little police.

Now read the police activity reports and where is the bulk of crime ? Around Ursuline ? Nope. Drive by shootings, murder, drug busts and buys. Muggings. Assaults. Prostitution. That’s the south side. No one was looking to move UHS. But Mooney was because of the above facts and if you don’t think that’s the case, you have not talked with Mooney parents. UHS beats Mooney on these issues hands down. Theft or robbery are not the only crimes. UHS is far safer.
Old 05-03-19, 09:15 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Locate where the schools are. Ursuline has a heavy police presence around it as the University and downtown businesses are earnestly protected. See Mooney. What is to protect there ? Drive around there and you will see little police.

Now read the police activity reports and where is the bulk of crime ? Around Ursuline ? Nope. Drive by shootings, murder, drug busts and buys. Muggings. Assaults. Prostitution. That’s the south side. No one was looking to move UHS. But Mooney was because of the above facts and if you don’t think that’s the case, you have not talked with Mooney parents. UHS beats Mooney on these issues hands down. Theft or robbery are not the only crimes. UHS is far safer.
We will get into a pissing contest here and that is unfortunate. The reality is no Mooney student has been hurt in the last 30 years. All heresay
Old 05-04-19, 03:41 AM
All Yappi

Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
Quote:
We will get into a pissing contest here and that is unfortunate. The reality is no Mooney student has been hurt in the last 30 years. All heresay

He’s right though. Erie street is in the middle of the “hood”. I wouldn’t feel comfortable with my kids going there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-04-19, 06:40 AM
All Region

ideliver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cards View Post
>LOL!!! underserved population! They can't fill one high school in Ytown let alone two. The Youngstown Catholic community is so in denial of what the city has become and the lack of foresight into what should have been done let alone which direction it should head. Take a good look around on a Sunday mass, how many young families with kids do you see? The answer is very few, just some middle aged and some older people so once they pass on, that will be that.

Rising tuition prices and a shrinking population in the Youngstown Diocese sure doesn't translate into keeping (2) ageing high schools open, yet the leadership is blind to it or thinking they will "trust in the Lord" to find a solution. The bottom line is you have to close (1) school and the only logical one would be U.H.S. because the property is of value to Y.S.U. and nobody has the balls to tell Murray he's wrong. Keeping Mooney open on the south side isn't the answer either. That is not a safe area for anyone's kids to commute to, so they must find a safer central location and build there. Regardless of what wealthy alum from both schools say or do, the right thing has to be done or you'll end up with NO Catholic high schools in Youngstown and the longer you wait, the worse this situation will become.

I agree with all of this except that UHS is the exact school that is needed. The admin there has done a wonderful job of continually improving the facilities. Mooney got into a position where a huge overhaul was needed. Ursuline despite being an older school is in very good condition.

Also, the proximity to YSU is a huge bonus. Those kids walk to the YSU campus for their “college credit plus” classes.

The proximity of the highway is key also for getting kids from other communities.

It’s clear to those involved, Bishop Murry, gives no s about Catholic education. None.
Old 05-04-19, 01:38 PM
All American

roberto21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Aside from the cigars and champagne they serve in the locker room.
Old 05-04-19, 01:54 PM
Varsity

Salad76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I believe that was an alumni's quote.
straight from the Vindy....

Bishop Murry said in a statement he decided having the school stay put would be the best way to live out its mission of providing a quality Catholic education and service to the surrounding community.
Old 05-04-19, 01:57 PM
Varsity

Quote:

So the thieves moving south means that now the north side is worse?

That's some crazy math there RL
Old 05-05-19, 01:24 AM
All American

nupanther is on a distinguished road
Quote:

100 % correct. Mooney may not be in an upwardly mobile neighborhood, but not really much in crime because the general area is desolate. More abandoned houses and empty lots/high grass. The ones that say it's a high crime area just want to lump the south side in the same box. Any suburbanites going their is a door to door transport, whether bus or car. And if anyone is walking there already is living in the neighborhood, so there's no added danger walking in their own neighborhood.

Talking to a coworker who went to Mooney and ran cross country, the fear was in stray dogs. But I'm sure some current and recent graduate parents look at it from an unsafe point of view that others described here.
Old 05-06-19, 01:52 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberto21 View Post
Aside from the cigars and champagne they serve in the locker room.

One or two kids...who puffed on a cigar....after winning a State Championship.

I can forgive them for that.

Kids watching the NFL....

Last edited by Lombardi1; 05-06-19 at 02:34 PM.
Old 05-06-19, 01:56 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salad76 View Post
straight from the Vindy....

Bishop Murry said in a statement he decided having the school stay put would be the best way to live out its mission of providing a quality Catholic education and service to the surrounding community.
The Bishop was regurgitating what the Big Money said
Old 05-06-19, 02:01 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Butler View Post
The perception and reality of crime are often vastly different.

I see the same thing here in the Canton area.
Correct..
Old 05-06-19, 02:46 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spread All Day View Post
He’s right though. Erie street is in the middle of the “hood”. I wouldn’t feel comfortable with my kids going there.

I'm sure you wouldn't . But I have lived here all my life.....and although the Youngstown area has declined....it has declined in all Counties, The entire 3 County area.

Hillman Street back in the day...the 1960's was the roughest neighborhood in the area......3 blocks away....Mooney survived....wining 8 State Titles

And no child/student was injured in any way

3-4 generations made it through......without any issues....
Old 05-06-19, 03:25 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I'm sure you wouldn't . But I have lived here all my life.....and although the Youngstown area has declined....it has declined in all Counties, The entire 3 County area.

Hillman Street back in the day...the 1960's was the roughest neighborhood in the area......3 blocks away....Mooney survived....wining 8 State Titles

And no child/student was injured in any way

3-4 generations made it through......without any issues....

No issues? Are we sure about that?
Hillman is still the roughest neighborhood in the area.

Old 05-06-19, 04:27 PM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
new screen names

same people

just recover your password man
Old 05-06-19, 06:21 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post
new screen names

same people

just recover your password man
Who are you referring to? Pool man back ?
Old 05-06-19, 08:36 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
No issues? Are we sure about that?
Hillman is still the roughest neighborhood in the area.

Very sure..

The area is what made Mooney tough back then.....

Last edited by Lombardi1; 05-06-19 at 08:47 PM.
Old 05-06-19, 11:38 PM
All World

Buckeye Elite is on a distinguished road
No it was them damn sandwich’s lol
Old 05-07-19, 04:39 PM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Who are you referring to? Pool man back ?
Nah
Old 05-08-19, 02:07 AM
All Region

ideliver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The Bishop was regurgitating what the Big Money said

Naw...this Bishop gives no F**Ks about the “big money”. He’s his own man doing whatever he pleases. And he gives no “F**ks” about Catholic education.
Old 05-08-19, 08:30 AM
All American

Paladin1aa is on a distinguished road
The Bishop is responding to the parish priests who have no more desire to see their parishes raided for money to support the schools as many have no or few kids in Catholic schools from their parish. Even those who have kids in Catholic schools, the numbers are low and the money as they view it can be used for better purposes in the parish . Times have changed and dwindling church attendance also means lesser dollars coming to the parish. The needs of many trumps the wants of a few.
Old 05-08-19, 06:59 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
The Bishop is responding to the parish priests who have no more desire to see their parishes raided for money to support the schools as many have no or few kids in Catholic schools from their parish. Even those who have kids in Catholic schools, the numbers are low and the money as they view it can be used for better purposes in the parish . Times have changed and dwindling church attendance also means lesser dollars coming to the parish. The needs of many trumps the wants of a few.

There is truth here. The priests want to keep their jobs too!
Old 05-08-19, 07:02 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ideliver View Post
Naw...this Bishop gives no F**Ks about the “big money”. He’s his own man doing whatever he pleases. And he gives no “F**ks” about Catholic education.
Don't kid yourself....if the Cafaro's and DeBartolos' quite writing checks.....both schools go down
Old 05-09-19, 09:53 AM
All American

4cards will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Don't kid yourself....if the Cafaro's and DeBartolos' quite writing checks.....both schools go down
"quit right"
Old 05-09-19, 10:15 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cards View Post
"quit right"
Of course, the dreaded spelling error
Old 05-09-19, 02:25 PM
Varsity

Quote:
been saying that for years

it's only the vanity of a few families that has stood in the way of any sort of consolidation as well

in a way it's the story of this whole area

You have 40-50 tiny schools that offer little when really you could have 10-12 bigger schools that could offer everything
Old 05-10-19, 09:00 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salad76 View Post
been saying that for years

it's only the vanity of a few families that has stood in the way of any sort of consolidation as well

in a way it's the story of this whole area

You have 40-50 tiny schools that offer little when really you could have 10-12 bigger schools that could offer everything
Thats an interesting thought. Maybe the two should have merged the schools, but again they are billionaires so they can do what they want.

I wholeheartedly believe all counties in Ohio should be merging to some degree. But that wouldn't go over well with teachers. There is so much redundancy, wasting a lot of money in salaries, heating and cooling buildings etc.