Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-27-19, 07:02 PM
All District

CaptainA is on a distinguished road
Wing T and Flexbone teams.

Rumor has it several teams in the EBC conference are going this route. What all schools run these old school offenses around the great state of Ohio still? I'm sure excited to see a few good Rocket Tosses and Buck Sweeps this year!!!! I wish it was late August already I just can't wait to watch the boys play some ball!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-19, 07:33 PM
All World

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Trimble and Clinton Massie run the wishbone
Old 04-28-19, 06:26 AM
All Ohio

cincifbfan is on a distinguished road
Alter runs the triple from Wishbone. Colerain runs triple from double wing. Loveland was running WingT, but now have new coach. West Clermont runs WingT. Mason runs what I like to call a hybrid WingT.... Lots of WingT concepts meshed with spread concepts.
Old 04-29-19, 05:55 AM
All American

America is an unknown quantity at this point
Fairmont runs the flex. Badin ran a really nice spread wing T under Tenore a couple of years ago.
Old 04-29-19, 06:43 AM
All Ohio

Pull-to-Trap is on a distinguished road
Edgewood has been running it for years all the way down to 1st grade. Gives the pee wee coaches fits running inside and pulling guards.
Old 04-29-19, 07:33 AM
Freshman

Beavers189 is on a distinguished road
Rich Wright ran wing T at Beaver Local when I played. Didn't look like he ran it at Wellsville as much when I saw his team play in play offs. Not sure if he run it at Southern but says he does in newspaper. But also looking at stat, he passes a lot more so not sure as we never passed when I was in school.
Old 04-29-19, 08:19 AM
All World

Buckeye Elite is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainA View Post
Rumor has it several teams in the EBC conference are going this route. What all schools run these old school offenses around the great state of Ohio still? I'm sure excited to see a few good Rocket Tosses and Buck Sweeps this year!!!! I wish it was late August already I just can't wait to watch the boys play some ball!!!!!
I wonder if WB is one of those schools, they got a new coach so maybe heís switching it up
Old 04-29-19, 09:36 AM
All World

BIG ED is on a distinguished road
Perry High (Massillon) has run the wing T for 29 of the last 38 years. I would say their Head Coach, Keith Wakefield is the Jedi Master of this offense.
Old 04-29-19, 10:21 AM
All Yappi

Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
Iíve seen some teams do this well and some that were complete disasters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-29-19, 09:25 PM
Junior Varsity

Lombardi1 is on a distinguished road
If you have a great thrower at QB and a receiver or two who can catch u run a spread variation. If you do not have those athletes u run a Wing T, wishbone, Stacked I, Zone Run scheme...or some other proven running offense where kids can run just run downhill without thinking
Old 04-30-19, 05:42 AM
All Ohio

dograt is on a distinguished road
Middletown Madison, Tippecanoe, Milton-Union, Miami East, Tecumseh, Bellbrook
all wing-T
Old 04-30-19, 05:55 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lombardi1 View Post
If you have a great thrower at QB and a receiver or two who can catch u run a spread variation. If you do not have those athletes u run a Wing T, wishbone, Stacked I, Zone Run scheme...or some other proven running offense where kids can run just run downhill without thinking
Um, not really... All drastically different offenses. 95% of spread teams run a Zone Run scheme. Also in the Zone run scheme, LOTS of thinking, not downhill running as u claim....Beneficial for slashing type backs that can cut on a dime as in that run scheme there is no designated "hole" for the runner to run through. There's tons of thinking on the RB in Zone, that's why reps are so important so the backs get a feel for where and when the creases will appear. Zone very much easier on the OL, very simple rules and assignments.
Stacked I offense very different than Wing T.
Old 04-30-19, 09:18 AM
All Ohio

bulldog5704 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to bulldog5704
Batavia and Williamsburg in the Southern Buckeye run wing t. Massie as mentioned runs bone and double wing more option that wing t though.
Old 04-30-19, 01:55 PM
All American

OUcats82 is on a distinguished road
In general, these styles allow schools who cannot count on top-tier talent (on offense, at least) coming through the ranks year in and year out to have solid, productive offenses that can find success through discipline and execution.

It also is something that, IMHO, can be grasped at younger ages, building a comfort level and familiarity to prepare for high school and, in essence, building a program.

They can really shine when top flight talent comes through the school.
Old 04-30-19, 03:25 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUcats82 View Post
In general, these styles allow schools who cannot count on top-tier talent (on offense, at least) coming through the ranks year in and year out to have solid, productive offenses that can find success through discipline and execution.

It also is something that, IMHO, can be grasped at younger ages, building a comfort level and familiarity to prepare for high school and, in essence, building a program.

They can really shine when top flight talent comes through the school.
Very correct. Wing-T can cover your weaknesses better with motion, pulling and misdirection. Allows smaller linemen to be more effective through strategic blocking. Works better if taught early through a youth program as younger kids learn better. And, when you get that great talent, speedy back, golden armed QB etc, you can really open up the playbook and excel.
Old 04-30-19, 03:33 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lombardi1 View Post
Wrong

Spread offenses take way less thinking. I'm convinced that's why the college OCs have all migrated to it. Recruit a top athlete, hit the strength and conditioning, install the offense in the spring and good to go. You can "out athlete" your way through if you put in he work. They only get that great athlete for a couple years so less time invested but still productive.

The T and the triple require greater understanding, more execution, film study, a cerebral player, and reps reps reps to succeed. That's why it works for service academies. Typically a more cerebral player that is also committed for four years. Although this is trending away lately.
Old 04-30-19, 03:41 PM
All World

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull-to-Trap View Post
Wrong

Spread offenses take way less thinking. I'm convinced that's why the college OCs have all migrated to it. Recruit a top athlete, hit the strength and conditioning, install the offense in the spring and good to go. You can "out athlete" your way through if you put in he work. They only get that great athlete for a couple years so less time invested but still productive.

The T and the triple require greater understanding, more execution, film study, a cerebral player, and reps reps reps to succeed. That's why it works for service academies. Typically a more cerebral player that is also committed for four years. Although this is trending away lately.
I would say spread is more thinking with skill and running is more thinking for the bigs.
Old 04-30-19, 04:14 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider6309 View Post
I would say spread is more thinking with skill and running is more thinking for the bigs.

I could agree except running backs in the T have very specific motion and blocking schemes they are required to execute or the play can't work. Could be harder (I think it is) to learn all of that rather then zone read and run.
Old 05-01-19, 07:56 PM
Freshman

undertow is on a distinguished road
Heard Massie has a stud QB and WR this year and will be airing it out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog5704 View Post
Batavia and Williamsburg in the Southern Buckeye run wing t. Massie as mentioned runs bone and double wing more option that wing t though.
Old 05-02-19, 06:18 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
I could agree except running backs in the T have very specific motion and blocking schemes they are required to execute or the play can't work. Could be harder (I think it is) to learn all of that rather then zone read and run.
You are very correct with the very specific motions and blocking, the easy part though is the backs are always doing the same motions... there is only a few of them and they do the same ones all the time and run different plays out of them. That's what confuses so many LBs in particular is they "think" they can anticipate the play.

Run a counter 4x off of an arc motion, then the 5th time ~ same arc motion but a Pop pass to TE, FB Dive, Toss Sweep, or the dreaded Waggle!

Those are what keep Defensive Coordinators up late at night and during the game wanting to bash their heads against a wall.
Old 05-02-19, 06:27 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincifbfan View Post
You are very correct with the very specific motions and blocking, the easy part though is the backs are always doing the same motions... there is only a few of them and they do the same ones all the time and run different plays out of them. That's what confuses so many LBs in particular is they "think" they can anticipate the play.

Run a counter 4x off of an arc motion, then the 5th time ~ same arc motion but a Pop pass to TE, FB Dive, Toss Sweep, or the dreaded Waggle!

Those are what keep Defensive Coordinators up late at night and during the game wanting to bash their heads against a wall.
Exactly
Old 05-02-19, 06:39 AM
All Ohio

bulldog5704 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to bulldog5704
Quote:
Originally Posted by undertow View Post
Heard Massie has a stud QB and WR this year and will be airing it out!!!
By air it out you mean throw it 6 times a game?
Old 05-02-19, 07:59 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Exactly
Waggle is the most under-utilized play in football IMO. It is devastating to defenses. DE lose contain over 95% of the time, and then it puts the OLB in a bind.... does he cover the drag route behind him and leave the QB to run free for a first down OR does he fly up to force the QB to dump it over his head to the now free drag route.

This play is also great for teams that run spread, and the Outside Zone (Stretch) as their primary run plays. Unfortunately, not too many OC use this anymore in the spread game... you would see the entire defense flowing to the fake Outside Zone and the QB and the Drag would both be wide open.
Old 05-02-19, 08:41 AM
All World

queencitybuckeye will become famous soon enough
A telling way to recognize those with little knowledge of the game is to see them equate the spread and "passing offense".
Old 05-02-19, 09:23 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Waggle is the most under-utilized play in football IMO. It is devastating to defenses. DE lose contain over 95% of the time, and then it puts the OLB in a bind.... does he cover the drag route behind him and leave the QB to run free for a first down OR does he fly up to force the QB to dump it over his head to the now free drag route.

This play is also great for teams that run spread, and the Outside Zone (Stretch) as their primary run plays. Unfortunately, not too many OC use this anymore in the spread game... you would see the entire defense flowing to the fake Outside Zone and the QB and the Drag would both be wide open.
As long as it doesn't get overused on every third and long. A speedy QB really makes the waggle dangerous for the defense.
Old 05-02-19, 09:40 AM
All Region

Starkbuck is on a distinguished road
Quote:

While I agree this play is perfect for defenses that are pressure fronts and taught to get up-field asap, they are only as good as your team's ability to be productive on the previous running plays. The hard part for HS quarterbacks in this play is that they must properly sell the fake, get their head & shoulders turned away from the their target, break contain and then square themselves properly to deliver an accurate ball. Often times there is a breakdown in this sequence leading to a negative play whether a sack or interception due to the QB rushing the process of the play. Additionally, if the team has very little success in running outside, the defense is likely to stay home and defend against the boot.
Old 05-02-19, 10:45 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkbuck View Post
While I agree this play is perfect for defenses that are pressure fronts and taught to get up-field asap, they are only as good as your team's ability to be productive on the previous running plays. The hard part for HS quarterbacks in this play is that they must properly sell the fake, get their head & shoulders turned away from the their target, break contain and then square themselves properly to deliver an accurate ball. Often times there is a breakdown in this sequence leading to a negative play whether a sack or interception due to the QB rushing the process of the play. Additionally, if the team has very little success in running outside, the defense is likely to stay home and defend against the boot.
If you can't run the ball outside as a Wing T team you have no business even trying Waggle.
The issue with waggle is, the T teams often don't throw much, so when the QB gets the opportunity to throw they sometimes force it when they should have run instead. Back to having balance and a QB that likes to do both. A good pump fake and a fast QB and waggle is a great play. Timid runner and low confidence in throwing, its a disaster.
Old 05-04-19, 06:44 AM
Freshman

lancaster90 is on a distinguished road
Lancaster has been running the Wing-T since Rob Carpenter has been Head Coach. Even though it is not a flashy offense it does wear opponents down. More mentally than physically.
Old 05-04-19, 08:18 PM
Freshman

undertow is on a distinguished road
Well this is the season the page turns...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog5704 View Post
By air it out you mean throw it 6 times a game?
Old 05-05-19, 09:36 PM
Varsity

Publican is on a distinguished road
2018 Cleveland Heights ran wishbone and flexbone stuff. Not sure if they will be running it again in 2019. Anyone have any idea?