Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-26-19, 11:07 AM
Varsity

snake86 is on a distinguished road
Miami East does not have tennis, bowling, or mens volleyball. It does have swimming which consists mostly of girls but I believe they had a few more boys this past season than in previous seasons.
Old 04-26-19, 04:19 PM
All American

StateChampion2012 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by D4fan View Post
Out of left field?

The larger schools in Dayton suburbs have some of the best men's volleyball. I played several years of club volleyball after high school and from a skills and action standpoint that was the most enjoyable sport I have been involved with.

From a spectator standpoint it is much more fan friendly than football (up close) or baseball which has so little action. There have been attempts to begin the sport at some of the schools represented in this thread, but track and baseball coaches have put pressure on AD's and school boards to keep volleyball out. Many of the best potential volleyball players are also involved in AAU basketball in the spring.

As baseball dies out, I look for other fan friendly sports such as volleyball to one day be supported on a large scale, but we are likely twenty years away from the end of baseball,or more.
Now that's funny. Up in MAC land, baseball is as loved as football. The idea of someone throwing out a sport like boys volleyball or lacrosse (A sport I do enjoy watching) is like someone trying to introduce boys soccer in the fall. Its just not going to happen. But if suburbia enjoys it then good for them! Maybe Celina will get it. Anyhow, this isn't the forum for that. Back to the WithOut Any Championships!
Old 04-26-19, 09:14 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StateChampion2012 View Post
Now that's funny. Up in MAC land, baseball is as loved as football. The idea of someone throwing out a sport like boys volleyball or lacrosse (A sport I do enjoy watching) is like someone trying to introduce boys soccer in the fall. Its just not going to happen. But if suburbia enjoys it then good for them! Maybe Celina will get it. Anyhow, this isn't the forum for that. Back to the WithOut Any Championships!
As a baseball guy, from a baseball town, I have to call BS on that.

I want to say Celina had a boys club VB team for a time in the not so distant past.
Old 04-27-19, 10:04 PM
All Region

tvsfan
D4fan - I don't see volleyball being a spectator sport. I could watch it when my daughters were playing. But I find it boring, and judging from the butts in the stands, I think most people agree. Even with boys playing, I am not feeling it. Plus some of these small schools struggle to field a decent baseball or track team. Diluting the talent even more would make them even less competitive in all spring sports.

But I can see baseball fading in a few decades. It is slow paced. Not enough action for young folks. I was a big baseball fan years ago, now I just have casual interest. I recall a stat that I saw several years ago that of the major sports it was baseball had the oldest fans. No surprise basketball had the youngest. When most of the folks watching your sport have gray hair, there is a problem.
Old 04-28-19, 02:07 PM
Junior Varsity

WSAImpact is on a distinguished road
You might be interested in knowing that there once was a TV station in Canton with the call letters WOAC. When it signed on in 1982 it took on something practically unheard of: a Scoreboard show Friday evenings at 10:30 during football season. It even televised football and basketball tournament games on a live basis. The station disappeared about 15 years later.
Old 04-29-19, 12:37 PM
All Region

BucksFan937 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSAImpact View Post
You might be interested in knowing that there once was a TV station in Canton with the call letters WOAC. When it signed on in 1982 it took on something practically unheard of: a Scoreboard show Friday evenings at 10:30 during football season. It even televised football and basketball tournament games on a live basis. The station disappeared about 15 years later.
That could be a sign of the future of this conference.
Old 04-29-19, 02:34 PM
All Yappi

BlessEmAll is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BlessEmAll
Men's Volleyball would be either winter or spring.
Old 04-30-19, 06:31 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessEmAll View Post
Men's Volleyball would be either winter or spring.
https://www.daytondailynews.com/spor...Z4Cnmc05dGdoK/
Old 04-30-19, 06:41 AM
All World

D4fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucksFan937 View Post
That could be a sign of the future of this conference.
Guess you never know, when Bethel left the Three Rivers Conference township residents were assured this was just a stop off until a better fit could be found. Turns out it was a good fit (CCC).

I spoke with an official of one of the conference yet to be named schools this weekend and they mentioned at least one of the eight schools may be only two years away from not having numbers for football.

Seems like this has became a constant theme with many schools unable to keep interest up in football.
Old 04-30-19, 06:54 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4fan View Post
Guess you never know, when Bethel left the Three Rivers Conference township residents were assured this was just a stop off until a better fit could be found. Turns out it was a good fit (CCC).

I spoke with an official of one of the conference yet to be named schools this weekend and they mentioned at least one of the eight schools may be only two years away from not having numbers for football.

Seems like this has became a constant theme with many schools unable to keep interest up in football.
I think it is a constant theme, and I hope it doesn't get to the point to where that particular school can not field a football team. The new WOAC will have a couple schools that will constantly be battling that as well. Miss. Valley and Bradford seem to be on the fence every year about having a program.
Old 04-30-19, 06:57 AM
All World

bigkat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post

I want to say Celina had a boys club VB team for a time in the not so distant past.
you mean Coldwater isn't a football town? I agree while baseball is popular, I would think that football is more popular then baseball.....
Old 04-30-19, 02:10 PM
All District

IndianaBanana is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkat View Post
you mean Coldwater isn't a football town? I agree while baseball is popular, I would think that football is more popular then baseball.....
Official Coldwater sports priority list:

1. Football
2. JV Football
3. Baseball
4. JH Football
5. Everything Else
6. Chess/Anime Club
7. Boys Basketball
Old 04-30-19, 07:40 PM
All Ohio

Rangerfan is on a distinguished road
You forgot bowling.
Old 05-01-19, 08:02 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaBanana View Post

1. Football
2. JV Football
3. Baseball
4. JH Football
5. Everything Else
6. Chess/Anime Club
7. Boys Basketball
7 on 7 Football needs to be added somewhere
Old 05-01-19, 01:11 PM
All Region

fortfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaBanana View Post

1. Football
2. JV Football
3. Baseball
4. JH Football
5. Everything Else
6. Chess/Anime Club
7. Boys Basketball

Also forgot CYO Basketball.
Old 05-01-19, 03:12 PM
Freshman

dixietony is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post

I can't find a citation right now, but if memory serves, Tri-Village had a boys volleyball team back in the 90's. Can anyone corroborate this? I'll have to do some research. I might have to search the newspaper archives instead of the web.
Old 05-01-19, 08:21 PM
All American

InTheDarke is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixietony View Post
I can't find a citation right now, but if memory serves, Tri-Village had a boys volleyball team back in the 90's. Can anyone corroborate this? I'll have to do some research. I might have to search the newspaper archives instead of the web.
They did, into the early 2000s. I can't really offer much info, outside of the fact that it existed. A few of them went to U of Findlay, and during that time, the high school hosted an exhibition match between Findlay and Ohio State.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-19, 08:55 PM
Freshman

dixietony is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheDarke View Post
They did, into the early 2000s. I can't really offer much info, outside of the fact that it existed. A few of them went to U of Findlay, and during that time, the high school hosted an exhibition match between Findlay and Ohio State.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
Thanks! I thought so.
Old 05-07-19, 07:04 AM
All Region

With all the talk of the conference changes pretty clear cut, and the talk calming down. We still have 2 years of football for the old CCC. What is the outlook for this next year? I expect the usual suspects to be at the top of the league... Fort Loramie, Covington and Miami East. Fort Loramie has to be the heavy favorite to win the league. I know Miami East loses a great Senior class, so I expect them to be down some, but still be good. The rest of the league will probably fall in as usual.
Old 05-07-19, 09:09 AM
All Region

ReadyKnightsFan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
With all the talk of the conference changes pretty clear cut, and the talk calming down. We still have 2 years of football for the old CCC. What is the outlook for this next year? I expect the usual suspects to be at the top of the league... Fort Loramie, Covington and Miami East. Fort Loramie has to be the heavy favorite to win the league. I know Miami East loses a great Senior class, so I expect them to be down some, but still be good. The rest of the league will probably fall in as usual.
Fort Loramie starts the season with Minster and St. Henry. After that I expect them to breeze through the CCC with relative ease. Covington and East being the only teams that can compete with them.
Old 05-07-19, 10:11 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyKnightsFan View Post
Fort Loramie starts the season with Minster and St. Henry. After that I expect them to breeze through the CCC with relative ease. Covington and East being the only teams that can compete with them.
doesn't Covington return a bunch of players
Old 05-07-19, 11:07 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkat View Post
doesn't Covington return a bunch of players
I do believe that Covington returns a bunch of players, I just don't think they will be able to beat Fort Loramie. I think Covington will be the 2nd best team in the league this year.
Old 05-07-19, 01:03 PM
All World

Quote:
I do believe that Covington returns a bunch of players, I just don't think they will be able to beat Fort Loramie. I think Covington will be the 2nd best team in the league this year.
yes, Covington looks like they return a solid class of Juniors....Loramie lost probably as good as group of Seniors as Loramie has ever had. Just watch what those boys do as they finish their Baseball careers.....
Old 05-07-19, 04:04 PM
All District

joe51391 is on a distinguished road
Tcn will be hard pressed to win 3 games and I think I'm being nice. The schedule is brutal and they have a new coach so the rebuild is in place.
Old 05-08-19, 06:07 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe51391 View Post
Tcn will be hard pressed to win 3 games and I think I'm being nice. The schedule is brutal and they have a new coach so the rebuild is in place.
Who is the new coach for TCN? I never heard a name announced.
Old 05-09-19, 10:37 PM
All District

joe51391 is on a distinguished road
He was the offensive coordinator at Fenwick is all I know. They have no size and very few skill players so it is going to be a tough couple seasons ahead for TCN.
Old 05-09-19, 10:37 PM
All World

ex_dc_atc is on a distinguished road
With two seasons left with all of the CCC schools together, I would anticipate those 4 teams absolutely blowing the doors off of the schools that outed them. Canít say I blame them much either. Expect no mercy.
Old 05-10-19, 06:20 AM
All Region

Baseballfan20 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex_dc_atc View Post
With two seasons left with all of the CCC schools together, I would anticipate those 4 teams absolutely blowing the doors off of the schools that outed them. Canít say I blame them much either. Expect no mercy.
I was thinking the same thing, but wouldn't that just give the 10 an I told you so excuse for the split? In the end this wasn't the kids decision and it shouldn't be taken out on them. It could get nasty but for every football game there is a baseball game that the table could be turned on (except FL). Cov & Bethel are bad baseball teams and could be ran up if wanted. ME is middle of the pack, I hope the coaches of our young men act like adults, change happens in life. It's how you respond to it that determines the outcome.
Old 05-10-19, 06:37 AM
All Region

Yeah, I don't buy the "blowing the doors off the schools that outed them" thing. I recently heard that Miami East had been inquiring with other schools about trying to find a new conference before all of this even went down. People can still make a big deal that this is all about football if they want (which isn't true), but this is clearly a good move for all the schools involved.
Old 05-10-19, 07:04 AM
All World

D4fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yeah, I don't buy the "blowing the doors off the schools that outed them" thing. I recently heard that Miami East had been inquiring with other schools about trying to find a new conference before all of this even went down. People can still make a big deal that this is all about football if they want (which isn't true), but this is clearly a good move for all the schools involved.
Completely agree with you. It is in the best interest of all schools involved to allow the shrinking or at least stable communities who are no longer participating in community growth to protect their interest by separating from the larger and more growth oriented schools.

While school pride may be an issue, I do not expect the girls softball coaches will be out to dominate the schools who decided to pull away from Bethel and Miami East. Is it your understanding Covington would have been permitted to join the other 10 schools?

I have a few pretty good sources at Miami East and Bethel that I talk with regularly, and there really is not much drama about the situation, but there is a lot of anticipation about the new conference and the advantages it will bring. Are there negatives? Sure, but every change has its own set of problems. So far looks like all players involved are acting like adults.