Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-20-19, 08:55 AM
All Region

Tom.OH is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincifbfan View Post
Shea Stadium for Norwood High School is a strange set up. It is not on the grounds of the high school, nor any school for that matter. It is sandwiched in an industrial area, right next to a rec. center, with factories and a rail yard as it's backdrop. Not to mention, little to no parking.

Stadium itself is pretty cool, very old concrete stands. Odd place though.
My football crew did several games at Norwood. One Friday night a train stopped for awhile and the engineers watched the game, yes they blew the train horn when Norwood scored a TD...
Old 03-20-19, 09:20 AM
Junior Varsity

Cedar_Point is on a distinguished road
Always thought the Pit, Cincinnati Elder’s Home, is very unique. Almost a basketball arena feel to it.
Old 03-20-19, 09:24 AM
Junior Varsity

Cedar_Point is on a distinguished road
The Stadium Bowl in Tacoma, Washington may have the best view for a Stadium. Looks over the Pagent Sound
Old 03-20-19, 11:24 AM
All Ohio

ringer2 is on a distinguished road
This is a very cool thread.
Old 03-20-19, 11:25 AM
All District

RollingTrain is on a distinguished road
North Lewisburg Triad is very strange....home side have bleachers staggered into the side of a hill, but its not a very steep hill.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.1762.../data=!3m1!1e3
Old 03-20-19, 11:32 AM
All World

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
The Meigs field they used up until recently had no away stands. You sat on the hill side. Pretty cool field. Couldn’t find a picture of the away side

Old 03-20-19, 12:18 PM
All American

C'Town216 is on a distinguished road
Belle Vernon High in Pennsylvania has a Vegas gold colored turf field. Literally looks like you’re playing on a sandlot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-19, 12:20 PM
All American

Lahainaluna High in Hawaii has a gorgeous overlook of the ocean beyond the visiting bench.

Old 03-20-19, 12:21 PM
All American

Football 101 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
While in SF they also have one of the most gorgeous setting for HS Football in George Washington High School. End zone to end zone bleachers with no track and a view of the Golden Gate Bridge>

That is truly a beautiful scenic endzone backdrop. Simply awesome.
Old 03-20-19, 12:23 PM
All Yappi

EHS 2001 is on a distinguished road
There's nothing special about the stadium, but the football field for Dr. Phillips High School in Orlando is across the street from Universal's Islands of Adventure theme park--and specifically the Harry Potter section of the park.

I couldn't find a picture, but I believe you can see the spires of the Hogwarts castle from the stadium.
Old 03-20-19, 12:27 PM
All American

Over in Illinois Howard Fellows Stadium home of La Salle Peru High School has one of the most unique set ups. The home grandstand built along a hill side while the visitors bleachers are mere inches away from the visitors sideline. And beyond the wall on the visitors side, spectators can view the game.

Old 03-20-19, 01:21 PM
All Ohio

speedthatkills is on a distinguished road
Love this thread
Old 03-20-19, 01:40 PM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
A sub genre to this might be stadiums located in neighborhoods and not attached to the High School, I have always had a soft spot for these and they create a cool atmosphere. The previous mentioned Shaw is a good example and I guess back in the day when East Cleveland was a flourishing suburb it was a big tradition for the band to march from the school through the city to the field. Another located in a neighborhood is Don Paul in Fremont. Any others in Ohio?
Old 03-20-19, 01:45 PM
All Ohio

cincifbfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
A sub genre to this might be stadiums located in neighborhoods and not attached to the High School, I have always had a soft spot for these and they create a cool atmosphere. The previous mentioned Shaw is a good example and I guess back in the day when East Cleveland was a flourishing suburb it was a big tradition for the band to march from the school through the city to the field. Another located in a neighborhood is Don Paul in Fremont. Any others in Ohio?
Roger Bacon's stadium is not attached to the school either. Also the 2 I mentioned earlier in NKY are not attached to their schools either.
Old 03-20-19, 01:52 PM
All Region

ceebass13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincifbfan View Post
Roger Bacon's stadium is not attached to the school either. Also the 2 I mentioned earlier in NKY are not attached to their schools either.
I went to a Roger Bacon game last year and it was pretty cool. The players walking uphill back to the school in full uniform after the game was a bit of a throwback.
Old 03-20-19, 01:52 PM
All World

firewatch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Louisville in Stark County would fit that. Awesome stadium right in the middle of a neighborhood.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8335...!3m1!1e3?hl=en
Old 03-20-19, 01:53 PM
All American

hsfan60 is on a distinguished road
Now that's cool and greta history!

Leo Strang coached at Shaw before going to massillon and KSU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C'Town216 View Post
Portsmouth Spartan Municipal Stadium home of Portsmouth Norte Dame was once home to the NFL’s Portsmouth Spartans which are now the Detroit Lions back around the depression era. Walking into the stadium is a blast to the past with how old the structure is.

Another is Shaw Cardinal Stadium in East Cleveland and once served as home to the then Cleveland Rams I believe in 1941. Now the Rams are back in LA obviously.

Old 03-20-19, 01:54 PM
All American

hsfan60 is on a distinguished road
Rename the stadium?

Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
So this one got me thinking that NYC probably has something similar so I did some googling....and found this one.

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/article...d591bd2&page=4

Murder Inc.
Old 03-20-19, 05:41 PM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
NYC proper has a few stadiums that are all-purpose fields bounded by streets on all sides. Some with no seating. Some high schools in NYC don't allow fans to attend football games, or restrict it to the home team only.

A few fields are actually the roofs of underground parking garages. One is located on the site of old Yankee Stadium next to the new stadium.

EDIT: checked the site again and it's lined only for soccer now.
Old 03-20-19, 05:56 PM
All World

Some people would be surprised that Manhattan has high school football fields. They do. As with a lot of NYC fields, they're baseball/football/softball squares.

One in Manhattan is actually built over the Hudson River, as part of a parking deck. There are no stands. Fans can watch from the overlooks around the field.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190320-184938~2.jpg
Views:	1143
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	2892  
Old 03-20-19, 08:04 PM
All Ohio

doverbuck is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Dover Crater Stadium fits this,a cool tradition is the band marching about 15 blocks from the high school to the stadium giving a short performance downtown with fans joining behind the band as they walk to the game.
Old 03-20-19, 08:55 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by doverbuck View Post
Dover Crater Stadium fits this,a cool tradition is the band marching about 15 blocks from the high school to the stadium giving a short performance downtown with fans joining behind the band as they walk to the game.
Dotlestown Chippewa fits that description, too. The stadium literally looks like it's in multiple peoples' backyards.

Your archrival's stadium (New Philadelphia) fits into a similar but different subgenre of stadiums that are situated in parks. Always good to catch a game at the "Woody." Wadsworth and Columbiana also come to mind in that category, Malvern too.

Last edited by Mr. Slippery; 03-21-19 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Added Malvern
Old 03-20-19, 09:03 PM
All Ohio

adog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
War Memorial Stadium in Ada fits this genre, Ada High School , D6/7 plays here. Up until Ohio Northern built their new stadium they played at War Memorial as well
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Wa...!4d-83.8199213
Old 03-20-19, 09:18 PM
All World

Columbiana has the same thing playing at Firestone Park.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8908.../data=!3m1!1e3

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190320-221646~2.jpg
Views:	1077
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	2893  
Old 03-20-19, 09:23 PM
All American

StateChampion2012 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Coldwater's football stadium, Cavalier Stadium, is right by our park so that fits the bill technically.

415 Butler Street Coldwater, OH

This link has a picture that shows the edge of our park in the background. Its a Dave article so take that with a grain of salt.

https://statelinesportsnetwork.net/2...alier-stadium/

Another neighborhood stadium that has a great feel to it is Hole Field in Versailles. Walking to the stadium on the southside and being able to see down into the stadium is probably the best stadium perk in the whole league. If you've never been to Hole Field before, I highly recommend it.

Closest thing I could find to what I'm describing (Stadium has had a few updates since this picture):

https://www.google.com/search?q=hole...TIhC2A0pjmLNM:

Last edited by StateChampion2012; 03-20-19 at 10:24 PM.
Old 03-21-19, 12:50 AM
All World

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Trimble has their football field tied to their park. They shut down their state Route right in front of the stadium to have a parade before every home game. You gotta love small school football

New Lexington and Gallia still play in the middle of town

Most in south east Ohio have moved their schools and fields outside of the towns
Old 03-21-19, 08:12 AM
All American

oxat622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider6309 View Post
Trimble has their football field tied to their park. They shut down their state Route right in front of the stadium to have a parade before every home game. You gotta love small school football

New Lexington and Gallia still play in the middle of town

Most in south east Ohio have moved their schools and fields outside of the towns
Did Trimble rebuild their stadium. I remember a couple years ago it was pretty much condemned.

Trimble is one of the only communities I've seen that truly shuts down on gameday.
Old 03-21-19, 08:24 AM
All American

Zwick_4_Prez is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider6309 View Post
Trimble has their football field tied to their park. They shut down their state Route right in front of the stadium to have a parade before every home game.
That sounds awful inconvenient to the 7 people who were going to use that road.
Old 03-21-19, 08:42 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykotyk View Post
Some people would be surprised that Manhattan has high school football fields. They do. As with a lot of NYC fields, they're baseball/football/softball squares.

One in Manhattan is actually built over the Hudson River, as part of a parking deck. There are no stands. Fans can watch from the overlooks around the field.
I have a lot of business in NYC and when flying into LaGuardia Airport you can see these unique set ups mentioned above, especially those in Bronx, Brooklyn & Queens. Space is so valuable you will see many of the diamonds sports where there is a baseball diamond in one end zone and a softball diamond in the other. Field turf was a great development for these facilties and in the spring and fall if there is no rain there is something going on at these places. The outline of the various sports creates a criss cross affect on the playing surface that probably makes it rough to know what is in or out of bounds.

This gives you another feel for what these complexes look like>
Old 03-21-19, 08:47 AM
All Region

buccaneers2002 is on a distinguished road
Here's a unique stadium in Union City, New Jersey that doubles as both a football and baseball stadium: