Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-03-19, 11:22 AM
All Ohio

Maverick0425 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion 86 View Post
See your point too!, also Alex Albert is on staff again. I think he is a good addition.
Everyone also talks about how good of X & O coach Alex Albert is, but I don't think his knowledge has always translated to the field. He has been fired, first as HC in the early 2000s when he was brought up from Florida by his friend, Don Spinell. Also, to my knowledge he has been let go by two other staffs. I wonder whether he has also been a part of the problem at Minerva?
Old 05-04-19, 09:16 PM
All Region

Lion 86 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick0425 View Post
Everyone also talks about how good of X & O coach Alex Albert is, but I don't think his knowledge has always translated to the field. He has been fired, first as HC in the early 2000s when he was brought up from Florida by his friend, Don Spinell. Also, to my knowledge he has been let go by two other staffs. I wonder whether he has also been a part of the problem at Minerva?
Good point and is possible. I said Hundley should not have hired anyone from the former staff. I have high hopes for the fresh start and a good leader will rally and motivate those around him. I just wish we would have tried a two tier NBC, but what do I know.
Old 05-05-19, 08:48 AM
All Region

NBC 1988 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Good point and is possible. I said Hundley should not have hired anyone from the former staff. I have high hopes for the fresh start and a good leader will rally and motivate those around him. I just wish we would have tried a two tier NBC, but what do I know.
Albert was also the OC when we made a pretty good run from 08 to 11. That offense was really explosive. So lets hope we get that version of Albert. I still haven't heard who else is on the staff but i heard he may be getting an outsider for a line coach..

I agree 100% about the two tier old NBC.

Spinnell did some good things at Minerva, especially with the facilities. But I think Mangun is more about winning and less about $$$.
Old 05-05-19, 04:24 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBC 1988 View Post
Albert was also the OC when we made a pretty good run from 08 to 11. That offense was really explosive. So lets hope we get that version of Albert. I still haven't heard who else is on the staff but i heard he may be getting an outsider for a line coach..

I agree 100% about the two tier old NBC.

Spinnell did some good things at Minerva, especially with the facilities. But I think Mangun is more about winning and less about $$$.
Albert is a football guy and knows his stuff. He was the architect of those offenses from ‘08-‘12 that ‘88 mentions but he also had a heck of a lot of talent in that span. That ‘11 team broke multiple school records on offense. But he also had 3 D1 athletes and multiple others who went on to play college ball on that ‘11 team alone.

Spinell no doubt brought the money in and the facilities will be his legacy. But I also believe that his emphasis on building up all the other programs inadvertently contributed to dismantling the football program. Spinell was never a Minerva guy nor is he a football guy. Mangun is from what I’ve been told.
Old 05-06-19, 12:04 PM
Varsity

FeartheNeer is on a distinguished road
When you're asking a coach to bring in an entire new staff you have to ask yourself a couple questions.
1. Are there teaching jobs available in the building?
2. Will Admin let the coach bring in who he wants?
3. Is pay competitive with other Stark schools?
I would be willing to bet that at least 2 of those boxes don't get checked there, so you wind up with the same ole guys who have been hanging around for years. Harder to full restart a staff than people realize I think.
Old 05-07-19, 11:53 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeartheNeer View Post
When you're asking a coach to bring in an entire new staff you have to ask yourself a couple questions.
1. Are there teaching jobs available in the building?
2. Will Admin let the coach bring in who he wants?
3. Is pay competitive with other Stark schools?
I would be willing to bet that at least 2 of those boxes don't get checked there, so you wind up with the same ole guys who have been hanging around for years. Harder to full restart a staff than people realize I think.
I will try to answer your questions:

1 - It's doubtful that there are a lot of teaching positions that fit the applicants needs at such a small school.

2 - I heard that the administration is allowing Hundley to pick his own staff that fits his culture and has been interviewing.

3- I don't think there is a big difference in pay with similar sized schools in the area.

I think there will be a few back from past staffs but there will be fresh blood too. It will be very difficult to bring in all new coaches. I said it before - there are some good football coaches in Minerva that know the game. It would not be devastating to have some of them back as long as Hundley sets the ground rules and everyone understand that it's his team. I am hearing the Coach Hundley has a firm set of rules that everyone one must follow, both players and coaches.
Old 05-08-19, 09:20 AM
Varsity

generalisimo is on a distinguished road
I don't know if you have discussed it or not, but who do the Lions scrimmage this year ?

Last edited by generalisimo; 05-08-19 at 09:21 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-08-19, 10:03 AM
Freshman

Starkcountylegend is on a distinguished road
Just curious, is there any rumblings about Minerva wanting out of the EBC? I think it's becoming clear that all though the Lions have a rich football tradition, they cannot compete in the EBC.
Old 05-08-19, 10:58 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkcountylegend View Post
Just curious, is there any rumblings about Minerva wanting out of the EBC? I think it's becoming clear that all though the Lions have a rich football tradition, they cannot compete in the EBC.
I don't think so. Minerva is competitive in just about every other sport. Leaving the EBC for football may make sense but I don't think it would for the other sports. Other than Alliance (363 boys), the enrollments for all other schools (boys) range from 225 to 261 and Minerva has more boys than Carrollton and Salem. In my opinion, I think the EBC is a very good league for Minerva for both boys and girls.

I say the Lions just need to get better in football and not run from the EBC. I would like to see the EBC add 1 more team but I think the EBC is the right fit for the Lions. There is a new coach who is trying to bring a new culture and he seems to be getting buy in. But most importantly there will be more talent on the field that at any point during the 40 game losing streak. We had a lot of sophomores that had to compete of Friday Nights, We had a lot of freshmen that had to play JV and did compete well for the most part (and won some JV games). We will "end the streak"? I don't know if we will win but there will be talent in 2019 and 2020.
Old 05-08-19, 11:12 AM
Freshman

Starkcountylegend is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I don't think so. Minerva is competitive in just about every other sport. Leaving the EBC for football may make sense but I don't think it would for the other sports. Other than Alliance (363 boys), the enrollments for all other schools (boys) range from 225 to 261 and Minerva has more boys than Carrollton and Salem. In my opinion, I think the EBC is a very good league for Minerva for both boys and girls.

I say the Lions just need to get better in football and not run from the EBC. I would like to see the EBC add 1 more team but I think the EBC is the right fit for the Lions. There is a new coach who is trying to bring a new culture and he seems to be getting buy in. But most importantly there will be more talent on the field that at any point during the 40 game losing streak. We had a lot of sophomores that had to compete of Friday Nights, We had a lot of freshmen that had to play JV and did compete well for the most part (and won some JV games). We will "end the streak"? I don't know if we will win but there will be talent in 2019 and 2020.
Thanks for the update, I would like to see Minerva restore the program and compete in the EBC. You said you would like the EBC to add a program, any teams that you think would be a possibility?
Old 05-08-19, 01:02 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkcountylegend View Post
Thanks for the update, I would like to see Minerva restore the program and compete in the EBC. You said you would like the EBC to add a program, any teams that you think would be a possibility?
South Range did join for a minute!! I haven't really head of anyone wanting to join, except rumors about Sandy Valley may have a future interest but they are D5 in football and D3 n basketball and baseball so may be in over their heads? But I am guessing they would have competed for the basketball title and held their own in football the last 2 years.

I still think the best option would have been to keep Louisville and add Dover and New Philly and play a 2 tiered conference. But that's water under the bridge.
Old 05-09-19, 09:55 AM
All Ohio

Quote:

100% agree with you and ‘86 on two-tiered NBC. Unfortunately a couple larger schools in NBC wouldn’t agree to it. So that’s that.

I also agree that it’s not due to an inability to compete. Minerva is competitive to very good in Every. Single. Sport. But. Football. This issue is making football important again and getting the athletes walking the halls to play football.
Old 05-09-19, 01:00 PM
All Region

Quote:
100% agree with you and ‘86 on two-tiered NBC. Unfortunately a couple larger schools in NBC wouldn’t agree to it. So that’s that.

I also agree that it’s not due to an inability to compete. Minerva is competitive to very good in Every. Single. Sport. But. Football. This issue is making football important again and getting the athletes walking the halls to play football.
AMEN!!! Lets get better, that will be a much more special turn around if we stay in the EBC rather than running to a weaker conference. We have the same type of hard nosed kids that were here - lets get them on the field again.. From what I an hearing the numbers may be beginning climb a little.
Old 05-09-19, 02:47 PM
All American

hitme is on a distinguished road
Watched a highlight film from i believe 2 years ago against the Leopards. You had plenty of horses and a couple athletes. Seemed to lack physical strength and fundamentals. Hope your new coach can improve on that.
Old 05-09-19, 11:09 PM
All Region

KINGOFTHEJUNGLE is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=Maverick0425;7305012]Ď86, between you and King of the Jungle I am not sure who has it out for some members of the Minerva coaching staff more! Realistically, as NBC 1988 has stated, most of these coaches had been on staff when Minerva had its last run (Ď08-Ď11). There is more involved with 0-40 than simply blaming the coaching staff for everything. When teams win itís usually due to the kidsí talent. When they lose everyone wants to blame the coaches. I would ask, how has Hundley been received by the kids and community? The last time an outsider was brought in it didnít work out.[/QUOTE

So let me see if I have this straight Mav. Since you are the authority on all things Minerva football, It's our players fault for losing 40 games in a row, it's our players fault for having a running clock in 35 of those games, it's our players fault because we can't get plays called in time to avoid getting delay of games and burning crucial timeouts, it's our players fault for teammates busting in to concession stands and schools and suffering zero consequences other than missing a game or two, it's our players fault for not being able to tackle for the past four years, it's our players fault that we practice special teams for 30 minutes on a day before the game walkthrough, it's our players fault that the majority of last year was spent with no second team quarterback getting any reps during the week, it's our players fault for changing the offense every week, it's the players fault for insanely trying to run the football between the tackles against eleven man fronts..... Do you want me to go on Mav because I can. By the way, let's clear up this Mike Hall crap that you are peddling. This guy was here for one year and started applying for other jobs, go ask the powers that be at Hoover how hard he went after that gig after proclaiming he wasn't going anywhere when he got hired. I have never made it a secret who I am and I don't hide behind some screen name like a lot of folks do on this site. This program has become a punchline, a laughing stock for Stark county football and if you think it's because of economics or lazy football players you need to start buying a few tickets and attending a game or two. Not for one minute am I saying that these kids don't need to take ownership of their own program, nor am I trying to say that it's every bit to do with our coaching but when a football team goes out on the field on a Friday night with ZERO faith or confidence in the men that are leading them, that's a problem my man. The result of that is going to be four straight years of winless, embarrassing football. Coaches can't always control whether or not they end the night with more points on the scoreboard then their opponent but by God they sure can control the type of effort and product that is out there on the field. What an idiotic, misinformed comment to make mav, you're better than that, pretty disappointed in you. The crap that you are trying to sell is used car salesman stuff.
Old 05-10-19, 11:51 PM
All Region

[QUOTE=KINGOFTHEJUNGLE;7309262]
Quote:
Ď86, between you and King of the Jungle I am not sure who has it out for some members of the Minerva coaching staff more! Realistically, as NBC 1988 has stated, most of these coaches had been on staff when Minerva had its last run (Ď08-Ď11). There is more involved with 0-40 than simply blaming the coaching staff for everything. When teams win itís usually due to the kidsí talent. When they lose everyone wants to blame the coaches. I would ask, how has Hundley been received by the kids and community? The last time an outsider was brought in it didnít work out.[/QUOTE

So let me see if I have this straight Mav. Since you are the authority on all things Minerva football, It's our players fault for losing 40 games in a row, it's our players fault for having a running clock in 35 of those games, it's our players fault because we can't get plays called in time to avoid getting delay of games and burning crucial timeouts, it's our players fault for teammates busting in to concession stands and schools and suffering zero consequences other than missing a game or two, it's our players fault for not being able to tackle for the past four years, it's our players fault that we practice special teams for 30 minutes on a day before the game walkthrough, it's our players fault that the majority of last year was spent with no second team quarterback getting any reps during the week, it's our players fault for changing the offense every week, it's the players fault for insanely trying to run the football between the tackles against eleven man fronts..... Do you want me to go on Mav because I can. By the way, let's clear up this Mike Hall crap that you are peddling. This guy was here for one year and started applying for other jobs, go ask the powers that be at Hoover how hard he went after that gig after proclaiming he wasn't going anywhere when he got hired. I have never made it a secret who I am and I don't hide behind some screen name like a lot of folks do on this site. This program has become a punchline, a laughing stock for Stark county football and if you think it's because of economics or lazy football players you need to start buying a few tickets and attending a game or two. Not for one minute am I saying that these kids don't need to take ownership of their own program, nor am I trying to say that it's every bit to do with our coaching but when a football team goes out on the field on a Friday night with ZERO faith or confidence in the men that are leading them, that's a problem my man. The result of that is going to be four straight years of winless, embarrassing football. Coaches can't always control whether or not they end the night with more points on the scoreboard then their opponent but by God they sure can control the type of effort and product that is out there on the field. What an idiotic, misinformed comment to make mav, you're better than that, pretty disappointed in you. The crap that you are trying to sell is used car salesman stuff.
As you know i agree, I still canít believe Costea and Willison and some administrators didnít get fired for putting an obviously undersized, dangerously inexperienced Freshman QB in to guarantee a position for him when two wrestling coaches were fired for reasons similar. He was in a position to be seriously injured playing with kids much bigger and experienced, he was running scared you could easily tell but his numbers spoke for themselves. Hundley has his work cut out for him but hiring the above joker doesnít impress me. Weíll see how game 1 looks and go from their.
Old 05-11-19, 12:05 AM
All Region

Quote:
AMEN!!! Lets get better, that will be a much more special turn around if we stay in the EBC rather than running to a weaker conference. We have the same type of hard nosed kids that were here - lets get them on the field again.. From what I an hearing the numbers may be beginning climb a little.
No Steubenville has some hard nosed kids and itís all because of HC Reno. He runs the show and takes no crap from anyone no matter who you are from parent to player, Big Red never has big kids or a huge roster they just have very well coached tough kids that know how to be physical and punch the other team in the mouth and win games. Hundley hopefully has this formula in his plan because itís not hard to see what it takes to be a winner.
Old 05-11-19, 06:21 AM
All District

goblue02 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I agree with you about not leaving the EBC. Minerva is not the smallest school in the league and it was not too long ago (2011? maybe) they were going undefeated and winning a playoff game. In my opinion there are several people to blame for the football situation. The last two head coaches are the obvious ones but what about the previous AD and administration at the High School. Several people have dropped the ball down there in regards to the football program. Until some fundamental changes are made within the district, league and coaching changes will not be the ultimate solution. I am not close enough to the situation to know the major issues, but i am sure it goes well beyond playing the wrong kid at Q.B.
Old 05-12-19, 08:59 AM
All Ohio

[QUOTE=KINGOFTHEJUNGLE;7309262]
Quote:
‘86, between you and King of the Jungle I am not sure who has it out for some members of the Minerva coaching staff more! Realistically, as NBC 1988 has stated, most of these coaches had been on staff when Minerva had its last run (‘08-‘11). There is more involved with 0-40 than simply blaming the coaching staff for everything. When teams win it’s usually due to the kids’ talent. When they lose everyone wants to blame the coaches. I would ask, how has Hundley been received by the kids and community? The last time an outsider was brought in it didn’t work out.[/QUOTE

I never once said the coaches weren’t responsible, I said that coaching isn’t the sole reason the program is 0-40.

You really have an axe to grind here. I think I recall you saying your son was the QB a couple seasons back and was mistreated by the staff? Am I correct? If so I can understand where you’d be upset but this was 2 seasons ago.

I will also add that I know some of these coaches whose names you mention on this forum and it needs to stop. Many others I don’t know personally but I know people who know them. I have coached for a time as well. The two you mention in this post are good men who are trying to do right by kids and commit hours upon hours of their time away from their families to coach these sports. New leadership was needed but it is people like you that are a major part of the problem.

Last edited by Maverick0425; 05-12-19 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-12-19, 03:49 PM
All Region

[QUOTE=Maverick0425;7310025]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGOFTHEJUNGLE View Post

I never once said the coaches weren’t responsible, I said that coaching isn’t the sole reason the program is 0-40.

You really have an axe to grind here. I think I recall you saying your son was the QB a couple seasons back and was mistreated by the staff? Am I correct? If so I can understand where you’d be upset but this was 2 seasons ago.

I will also add that I know some of these coaches whose names you mention on this forum and it needs to stop. Many others I don’t know personally but I know people who know them. I have coached for a time as well. The two you mention in this post are good men who are trying to do right by kids and commit hours upon hours of their time away from their families to coach these sports. New leadership was needed but it is people like you that are a major part of the problem.
If they choose to coach that time away comes with the job, I think King makes good points and I respect his openness on the issues. We know past coaches give special treatment to certain people with certain names. If you are not a favorite you won’t get special treatment like one example starting as Varsity QB your Freshman year because your Dads a coach not because you earned it! I think the real problems are theses situations not people speaking the truth.
Old 05-12-19, 08:25 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by goblue02 View Post
I agree with you about not leaving the EBC. Minerva is not the smallest school in the league and it was not too long ago (2011? maybe) they were going undefeated and winning a playoff game. In my opinion there are several people to blame for the football situation. The last two head coaches are the obvious ones but what about the previous AD and administration at the High School. Several people have dropped the ball down there in regards to the football program. Until some fundamental changes are made within the district, league and coaching changes will not be the ultimate solution. I am not close enough to the situation to know the major issues, but i am sure it goes well beyond playing the wrong kid at Q.B.
I think Minerva is a great fit in the EBC if we get serious and try to actually compete and not be dumbed down by past coaches and administration failures. Looks like we might be on the right path, we’ll see, some early decisions of hiring by Hundley are questionable, however, if he will do his job and be a HC without internal influences then this program may move forward. Leaving the EBC talks were due to the Lions past failures and internal weaknesses, if we become a REAL program with grit again then we will be ok.Week one will tell us a lot???
Old 05-13-19, 08:15 AM
All American

Football 101 is on a distinguished road
Kudos to you Lion

Not many use the word GRIT anymore. Most will tell you they know what it is - however do they?

I am with you - men teaching grit will succeed more times than not.
Old 05-13-19, 10:58 AM
All Region

I think King brought up some very good points in his post in regard to coaching. However, there was a lack of talent too. The problem I have is that we were never in better shape than our opponents during this 4 year stretch. So the lack of talent may not have been as bad had the kids got themselves ready to play. That partly falls on coaches for not motivating the kids to get in better shape, but the players take part of this too.

I think we are all after the same thing. We want to win football games and regain respect. It is obvious that complete change of culture was needed to do so which meant a coaching overhaul. Hopefully Coach Hundley is just the guy to turn this thing around. I am hearing some real positive things about some of these kids. We have some kids really dedicated to their off season training, still not enough but those who are dedicated and pretty impressive kids.
Old 05-14-19, 11:36 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
I think King brought up some very good points in his post in regard to coaching. However, there was a lack of talent too. The problem I have is that we were never in better shape than our opponents during this 4 year stretch. So the lack of talent may not have been as bad had the kids got themselves ready to play. That partly falls on coaches for not motivating the kids to get in better shape, but the players take part of this too.

I think we are all after the same thing. We want to win football games and regain respect. It is obvious that complete change of culture was needed to do so which meant a coaching overhaul. Hopefully Coach Hundley is just the guy to turn this thing around. I am hearing some real positive things about some of these kids. We have some kids really dedicated to their off season training, still not enough but those who are dedicated and pretty impressive kids.
The team did not improve from one week to the next and that was a concern. That comes down to coaching. Playing a freshman at QB was idiotic but that also comes down to coaching. The culture needs changed and the entire program officially hit institutional failure last year. That is on coaches, administrators, lack of talent, economics and loss of working class jobs with good pay, not only in Minerva but in the surrounding areas. I hold to what I have said before and continue to say:

NO ONE is saying the coaches don't deserve blame, but with 0-40 there's a lot of blame to go around.

I'm hearing positive things too. Just need depth at many key positions.
Old 05-14-19, 01:26 PM
All Region

Quote:
The team did not improve from one week to the next and that was a concern. That comes down to coaching. Playing a freshman at QB was idiotic but that also comes down to coaching. The culture needs changed and the entire program officially hit institutional failure last year. That is on coaches, administrators, lack of talent, economics and loss of working class jobs with good pay, not only in Minerva but in the surrounding areas. I hold to what I have said before and continue to say:

NO ONE is saying the coaches don't deserve blame, but with 0-40 there's a lot of blame to go around.

I agree with you Maverick, I agree with a lot what the King says, I agree with a lot of Lion says, I agree with MINFAN (who has been absent for awhile). The bottom line is everyone wants to win-

it's time to move forward and talk about 2019!!

I talked someone very close to the program (not a parent) and here is what we have- we have a few linemen that are very big, insanely strong (rumor is one of them benched 400 recently) and very athletic. We have 1 extremely big, strong and fast skilled kid that can play anywhere on both sides of the ball. We have 4 or 5 more extremely fast kids. So we have a very good core. The million dollar question is do we have enough depth to fill in around this core. This is where motivational coaching comes in and leadership from the "core" kids. The kids on the fringe need to step up and earn spots on Friday nights and may need a little push from the coached to do so!!
Old 05-14-19, 01:29 PM
All Region

[QUOTE=Maverick0425;7311037]
Quote:

Costea was just an assistant line coach so I'm not sure what role, if any, he played in his son being inserted as starting QB. Willison was the head coach so it ultimately falls on him. But I'm told he also delegated a lot of the coaching to his coordinators; some times that works out and sometimes it doesn't. I still don't agree that their names should be dragged through the mud. This is high school football, not major college or the NFL.
Yea. I don't really think the coaches wanted to lose and proved that they could coach in the past. I just feel that they were beat down and their confidence was gone too. So the change is good. I heard from kids that the Costea was one of they only coaches that really kept coaching all year.. I am not all surprised that he is on the staff.
Old 05-14-19, 01:29 PM
All Ohio

Quote:

As you know i agree, I still canít believe Costea and Willison and some administrators didnít get fired for putting an obviously undersized, dangerously inexperienced Freshman QB in to guarantee a position for him when two wrestling coaches were fired for reasons similar. He was in a position to be seriously injured playing with kids much bigger and experienced, he was running scared you could easily tell but his numbers spoke for themselves. Hundley has his work cut out for him but hiring the above joker doesnít impress me. Weíll see how game 1 looks and go from their.
Costea was just an assistant line coach so I'm not sure what role, if any, he played in his son being inserted as starting QB. Willison was the head coach so it ultimately falls on him. But I'm told he also delegated a lot of the coaching to his coordinators; some times that works out and sometimes it doesn't. I still don't agree that their names should be dragged through the mud. This is high school football, not major college or the NFL.
Old 05-14-19, 01:39 PM
All Ohio

Quote:

Yea. I don't really think the coaches wanted to lose and proved that they could coach in the past. I just feel that they were beat down and their confidence was gone too. So the change is good. I heard from kids that the Costea was one of they only coaches that really kept coaching all year.. I am not all surprised that he is on the staff.
The kids need leadership and a coaching change was needed. The coaches and administration set the tone and the kids have to elevate to that standard. I also agree that losing is contagious and when it goes on long enough it wears on everyone. Been on the Louisville thread and it's similar, finger pointing, factions, blame spread around to coaches, administrators, etc. That doesn't have to be us. I always appreciated the civility amongst the Minerva posters on this forum and enjoy reading the posts from '86, King, '88 and some others on here. I know there are some others we haven't heard from in a while including Liontown, Lion 35 and a few others. It'd be nice to hear them chime in.
Old 05-14-19, 08:22 PM
All Region

Quote:

Mav, you talk lack of talent? That is on the program for not developing football players! Economics I don’t agree on either, Minerva’s economy has been up and down through the years but last several and recently very good. Surrounding area included. Let’s look at the Steubenville area, not a “rich” area and some very low income areas but the football program succeeds! The kids and community buy into it and have a great desire to win creating a very respected winning football program. That’s what Reno has developed down there. We can get back to winning and it starts this year. One note I would like to make is that we need to get Markins more involved this year, he is an athlete that can break a game open. Sounds like we have talent and with any program once we start winning and have a positive culture change the numbers will automatically go up.
Old 05-14-19, 09:12 PM
All District

CaptainA is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Mav, you talk lack of talent? That is on the program for not developing football players! Economics I don’t agree on either, Minerva’s economy has been up and down through the years but last several and recently very good. Surrounding area included. Let’s look at the Steubenville area, not a “rich” area and some very low income areas but the football program succeeds! The kids and community buy into it and have a great desire to win creating a very respected winning football program. That’s what Reno has developed down there. We can get back to winning and it starts this year. One note I would like to make is that we need to get Markins more involved this year, he is an athlete that can break a game open. Sounds like we have talent and with any program once we start winning and have a positive culture change the numbers will automatically go up.
I'm tired of hearing about this Markins kid. I don't think he'd even start at Alliance or Marlington. Most of his "big" plays were in garbage time once the other team brought in their freshmen. Kids a solid player but my goodness he's not even that fast he was tied for third in the 100 in our league. If he was elite he'd be the fastest. Also comparing your program to Big Red is completely asinine.

Last edited by CaptainA; 05-14-19 at 09:30 PM.