Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-11-19, 09:58 PM
All District

CaptainA is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBC 1988 View Post
I heard Hundley's staff is Albert, Costea, Eberling and Turckovich so far. Has anyone here of any additional hires??
I heard that Bullocks guy from Alliance will be coaching the line. He did a great job with the Aviators last year. Him and the Oakridge boys were wizards with the boys up front.
Old 04-13-19, 06:35 PM
All Region

NBC 1988 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainA View Post
I heard that Bullocks guy from Alliance will be coaching the line. He did a great job with the Aviators last year. Him and the Oakridge boys were wizards with the boys up front.
Lots of respect for Whiting and his staff. So it we are getting someone from that staff it has to be a good thing CaptainA
Old 04-13-19, 07:45 PM
All American

hitme is on a distinguished road
Not trying to be an a-hole, but unless these coaches are great friends why would someone leave an up and coming D-3 program with athletes galore to a D-5 program that is 0 for four years?
Old 04-14-19, 03:15 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitme View Post
Not trying to be an a-hole, but unless these coaches are great friends why would someone leave an up and coming D-3 program with athletes galore to a D-5 program that is 0 for four years?
I heard the aviators brought in some italian fella from suffield.
Old 04-15-19, 08:32 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitme View Post
Not taking you as an A-Hole, you bring up a valid point. If someone is jumping from Alliance to Minerva maybe he as a bigger role in Minerva, maybe he is excited for the challenge to turn in around Minerva? But I do understand where are coming from. I have not heard anything official about the coaching staff so we not be getting anyone from the Alliance staff.
Old 04-16-19, 08:32 AM
Varsity

Syrian Leopards is on a distinguished road
Maybe he doesn’t want to coach in a rundown town that is considered an urban school?
Old 04-16-19, 09:40 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrian Leopards View Post
Maybe he doesnít want to coach in a rundown town that is considered an urban school?
Coming from a Louisville guy go figure.You guys think you're in Beverly Hills but your just Beverly Hillbillies.
Old 04-20-19, 09:49 PM
All Region

Lion 86 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrian Leopards View Post
Maybe he doesn’t want to coach in a rundown town that is considered an urban school?
Thank you for the info.
Old 04-21-19, 10:04 AM
All Ohio

Maverick0425 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Not taking you as an A-Hole, you bring up a valid point. If someone is jumping from Alliance to Minerva maybe he as a bigger role in Minerva, maybe he is excited for the challenge to turn in around Minerva? But I do understand where are coming from. I have not heard anything official about the coaching staff so we not be getting anyone from the Alliance staff.
I am hearing the new Minerva coach is struggling to assemble a coaching staff with only a handful on board at the high school level. I wonder if the incident with the wrestling program has played a role?
Old 04-22-19, 12:45 PM
All Region

[QUOTE=Maverick0425;7300469]I am hearing the new Minerva coach is struggling to assemble a coaching staff with only a handful on board at the high school level. I wonder if the incident with the wrestling program has played a role?[/QUO

I am hearing the same thing, he is having a hard time finding the right guys at this point. Hopefully he can add quality coaches to the staff soon.
Old 04-24-19, 08:24 AM
All District

yipyap is on a distinguished road
This program used to be a jewel of Stark County. Hoping they can return. The community seems to love their football.
Old 04-25-19, 09:56 AM
All Ohio

[QUOTE=NBC 1988;7300836]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick0425 View Post
I am hearing the new Minerva coach is struggling to assemble a coaching staff with only a handful on board at the high school level. I wonder if the incident with the wrestling program has played a role?[/QUO

I am hearing the same thing, he is having a hard time finding the right guys at this point. Hopefully he can add quality coaches to the staff soon.
Last I heard, the coach was trying to find a home in the area. It is alarming that we are almost in May and he hasnít assembled his varsity staff. Iím also hearing that a lot of the coaches in the system donít want to coach.
Old 04-25-19, 12:02 PM
All Region

guyinahoodie is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=Maverick0425;7302401]
Quote:

Last I heard, the coach was trying to find a home in the area. It is alarming that we are almost in May and he hasnít assembled his varsity staff. Iím also hearing that a lot of the coaches in the system donít want to coach.
Hard to blame them. 0-40 has to be hard to overcome as a coach....Hopefully, brighter days are ahead, because I agree, this program used to be the measuring stick for all small schools in the area!
Old 04-26-19, 07:54 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by yipyap View Post
This program used to be a jewel of Stark County. Hoping they can return. The community seems to love their football.
Sadly, since reaching 500 program wins in 2013, we have won a grand total of 7 games. I wish tradition and history won ballgames. Not sure we will ever be able to sustain the same consistent success we had from the 60s-90s again. Just donít have the population or economics in our favor.
Old 04-26-19, 10:13 PM
All Region

Quote:
Sadly, since reaching 500 program wins in 2013, we have won a grand total of 7 games. I wish tradition and history won ballgames. Not sure we will ever be able to sustain the same consistent success we had from the 60s-90s again. Just donít have the population or economics in our favor.
I agree thatís why itís time for our program to move on and play in a league that is more our level. The coaching situation donít surprise me, I believe an out of Towner coach isnít being accepted very well either. I wish the program the best of luck, but until we find a new league I donít think John Madden could do much with this situation.
Old 04-27-19, 11:06 PM
All Region

Quote:
Sadly, since reaching 500 program wins in 2013, we have won a grand total of 7 games. I wish tradition and history won ballgames. Not sure we will ever be able to sustain the same consistent success we had from the 60s-90s again. Just don’t have the population or economics in our favor.
Look what Reno has done with the Big Red program which is D4. Proof that hard work and commitment from the coaching staff and community support develops a winning culture. Minerva has a bunch of duds on the staff which has obviously developed a losing mentality ,weak work ethic and culture including causing community questioning of the programs validity. Winning takes work, so let’s get to work Hundley and do what Reno does.
Old 04-29-19, 07:44 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion 86 View Post
Look what Reno has done with the Big Red program which is D4. Proof that hard work and commitment from the coaching staff and community support develops a winning culture. Minerva has a bunch of duds on the staff which has obviously developed a losing mentality ,weak work ethic and culture including causing community questioning of the programs validity. Winning takes work, so letís get to work Hundley and do what Reno does.
I have heard a few rumors:
- we have some kids really putting in some work in the weight room, but not enough yet. Coach Hundley is putting some much stress in off season workout but not getting a lot of buy in yet.

- Coach Hundley was not allowed on school property for 60 days after his retirement from Coffman. The 60 days is up this week and he will be at the school now. There will be a full time presence in the school and he should be able to motivate kids to put in the work..

- He should have his staff in place soon, I am hearing that it may not be a big staff but will be a quality staff.

- Speed and size at the skilled positions will not be a problem, depth is a concern. There at some very impressive linemen but not enough of them. He needs to create linemen.

- a top priority is to create a design a defense the doesn't give up 40+ per game.

There is a lot of work to do for coach Hundley. Hopefully we will start seeing a positive vibe around the program.
Old 04-29-19, 07:54 AM
All Region

Quote:
I agree thatís why itís time for our program to move on and play in a league that is more our level. The coaching situation donít surprise me, I believe an out of Towner coach isnít being accepted very well either. I wish the program the best of luck, but until we find a new league I donít think John Madden could do much with this situation.
I hear what you are saying Lion, the last several years have been tough to watch and the record speaks for itself. But I really think the EBC is the best fit (depending on where the Alliance enrollment goes). Below are enrollments for 2019-20, not including competitive balance numbers. I think we should be able to build a program to compete with these schools.

Carrollton: 225
Canton South: 232
Minerva: 239
Salem: 243
WB: 251
Marlington: 266
Alliance: 363
Old 04-29-19, 08:34 PM
All Region

Quote:
I hear what you are saying Lion, the last several years have been tough to watch and the record speaks for itself. But I really think the EBC is the best fit (depending on where the Alliance enrollment goes). Below are enrollments for 2019-20, not including competitive balance numbers. I think we should be able to build a program to compete with these schools.

Carrollton: 225
Canton South: 232
Minerva: 239
Salem: 243
WB: 251
Marlington: 266
Alliance: 363
I see what your saying. Hopefully Hundley can move us forward and turn us back into a winning program. I think the numbers will go up when that happens.
Old 04-29-19, 11:46 PM
All District

Alliance1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by syrian leopards View Post
maybe he doesnít want to coach in a rundown town that is considered an urban school?
smh
Old 04-30-19, 10:09 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance1 View Post
smh
I have no idea why people think Alliance is such a run down school. They do have diversity but that does not make them "urban". Every school in the EBC has issues but overall are pretty good schools.
Old 04-30-19, 10:12 AM
All Region

Quote:
I see what your saying. Hopefully Hundley can move us forward and turn us back into a winning program. I think the numbers will go up when that happens.
Only time will tell Lion.. This year is crucial for the program. If we can get some wins maybe we will see the middle school numbers grow again. Winning and putting a quality product on the field can solve a lot of problems and there should be some talent to at least make us more competitive and not and automatic W for opposing teams. I am getting anxious to see the 2019 version of the Lions.
Old 05-01-19, 08:16 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Minerva has a bunch of duds on the staff which has obviously developed a losing mentality ,weak work ethic and culture including causing community questioning of the programs validity. Winning takes work, so letís get to work Hundley and do what Reno does.
Ď86, between you and King of the Jungle I am not sure who has it out for some members of the Minerva coaching staff more! Realistically, as NBC 1988 has stated, most of these coaches had been on staff when Minerva had its last run (Ď08-Ď11). There is more involved with 0-40 than simply blaming the coaching staff for everything. When teams win itís usually due to the kidsí talent. When they lose everyone wants to blame the coaches. I would ask, how has Hundley been received by the kids and community? The last time an outsider was brought in it didnít work out.
Old 05-01-19, 10:17 AM
All Region

Quote:
‘86, between you and King of the Jungle I am not sure who has it out for some members of the Minerva coaching staff more! Realistically, as NBC 1988 has stated, most of these coaches had been on staff when Minerva had its last run (‘08-‘11). There is more involved with 0-40 than simply blaming the coaching staff for everything. When teams win it’s usually due to the kids’ talent. When they lose everyone wants to blame the coaches. I would ask, how has Hundley been received by the kids and community? The last time an outsider was brought in it didn’t work out.
Maverick, . I have never meant the man but I am hearing so far so good for Coach Hundley from some of the parents. I think he has been and will be received well. I think he is officially allowed to start this week due to some Ohio Education rule. So we should start hearing more about him and the program.

Coach Hall took over a pretty good team with a lot high expectations coming off of a pretty good run. Anything but a playoff appearance was considered a failure for him. Hundley is taking over where the goal is to win a game so the expectations are much different. So he has nowhere to go but up.

You bring up some good points and agree 100% about talent. I was looking through the 4 winless years and we realistically could have been coached to 7 wins, most of the other 33 games were blow outs. So 7-33 is still not good and that does reflect on talent. Last year would have probably been a 0-10 year no matter who was coaching. It was just disappointing because the vibe was that we gave up. 0-10 was a likely outcome but we really didn't get better as the year went on. It had to be frustrating for the coaches to "bring a knife to a gun fight" every Friday because we were overmatched in every game. So I don't think it's fair to pin the 40 losses on all coaches, however, I do think a change was needed to get a fresh look.
Old 05-01-19, 10:43 PM
All Region

Quote:
Ď86, between you and King of the Jungle I am not sure who has it out for some members of the Minerva coaching staff more! Realistically, as NBC 1988 has stated, most of these coaches had been on staff when Minerva had its last run (Ď08-Ď11). There is more involved with 0-40 than simply blaming the coaching staff for everything. When teams win itís usually due to the kidsí talent. When they lose everyone wants to blame the coaches. I would ask, how has Hundley been received by the kids and community? The last time an outsider was brought in it didnít work out.
Mav, winning programs have a coaching staff that always strive to win and have the tools in place to do that and expect nothing less. Coaches and HC ultimately have the responsibility to never let a program go 0-40. If these coaches that you claim were part of a winning program are now part of an embarrassing program that they contributed too. Nepotism played a role, starting a Freshman QB last year because heís the coaches son was ridiculous. I canít defend anyone on that staff that let it go to 0-40.
Old 05-01-19, 10:50 PM
All Region

Quote:
Maverick, . I have never meant the man but I am hearing so far so good for Coach Hundley from some of the parents. I think he has been and will be received well. I think he is officially allowed to start this week due to some Ohio Education rule. So we should start hearing more about him and the program.

Coach Hall took over a pretty good team with a lot high expectations coming off of a pretty good run. Anything but a playoff appearance was considered a failure for him. Hundley is taking over where the goal is to win a game so the expectations are much different. So he has nowhere to go but up.

You bring up some good points and agree 100% about talent. I was looking through the 4 winless years and we realistically could have been coached to 7 wins, most of the other 33 games were blow outs. So 7-33 is still not good and that does reflect on talent. Last year would have probably been a 0-10 year no matter who was coaching. It was just disappointing because the vibe was that we gave up. 0-10 was a likely outcome but we really didn't get better as the year went on. It had to be frustrating for the coaches to "bring a knife to a gun fight" every Friday because we were overmatched in every game. So I don't think it's fair to pin the 40 losses on all coaches, however, I do think a change was needed to get a fresh look.
Being overmatched is a failure on the coaching staff and administration. Either we are in a league to big for us or our program sucks from bottom to top! We will find out quick if Hundley is good. We should have higher expectations then win a game. Thatís the problem the bar needs to be set high or we need to just except where we are as a program. I believe the Minerva Lions can be great again if we have the right people and right approach. Steubenville Big Red team gets 3 weeks off after the season, other than that itís conditioning and football season is serious business. Reno runs the show, Minerva is D4 too, why do we just want to win a game!
Old 05-02-19, 07:31 AM
All Region

Quote:
Being overmatched is a failure on the coaching staff and administration. Either we are in a league to big for us or our program sucks from bottom to top! We will find out quick if Hundley is good. We should have higher expectations then win a game. Thatís the problem the bar needs to be set high or we need to just except where we are as a program. I believe the Minerva Lions can be great again if we have the right people and right approach. Steubenville Big Red team gets 3 weeks off after the season, other than that itís conditioning and football season is serious business. Reno runs the show, Minerva is D4 too, why do we just want to win a game!
I agree Lion, 1 win is not the bar. I was just stating that the expections are different now then they were when Hall took over. I would like to see a 500 team or better in 2019 and then build from there. Steubenville, Kirkland, Coldwater, Mogadore, Manchester are all good small public school templates. This can be done. We have good athletes in the system (I saw a track meet earlier this week and we have boys that can run), we have good facilities, we have a good weight room and we have a good community that backs it's sports teams. We just need the kids to gain a passion for football and that starts with Coach Hundley. The spring sports are wrapping up and football is right around the corner..
Old 05-02-19, 11:39 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Mav, winning programs have a coaching staff that always strive to win and have the tools in place to do that and expect nothing less. Coaches and HC ultimately have the responsibility to never let a program go 0-40. If these coaches that you claim were part of a winning program are now part of an embarrassing program that they contributed too. Nepotism played a role, starting a Freshman QB last year because heís the coaches son was ridiculous. I canít defend anyone on that staff that let it go to 0-40.

I agree on many points '86! No one is saying that a change didn't need to be made with the staff. The players need to play and the administration and staff sets the standard. The fact is that the talent and depth just haven't been there either. When a program goes 0-40 it is due to an all around institutional failure so there's truly a lot of blame to go around. I also agree with '88, that there wasn't any improvement as the season went on. Really can't wrap my head around that decision to start a freshman at the most important position on the field!

Willison I recall was a very good player and I've been told he is a good coach BUT not a head coach. I've also been told he didn't even want the job, there weren't any quality outside candidates and that they talked him into it. I question some of his staff decisions when he did take over however. A HC is truly only as successful as the staff he assembles. I think the DC there needs replaced because it's pretty well known that we haven't played defense for several years in Minerva.
Old 05-02-19, 11:45 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
I agree Lion, 1 win is not the bar. I was just stating that the expections are different now then they were when Hall took over. I would like to see a 500 team or better in 2019 and then build from there. Steubenville, Kirkland, Coldwater, Mogadore, Manchester are all good small public school templates. This can be done. We have good athletes in the system (I saw a track meet earlier this week and we have boys that can run), we have good facilities, we have a good weight room and we have a good community that backs it's sports teams. We just need the kids to gain a passion for football and that starts with Coach Hundley. The spring sports are wrapping up and football is right around the corner..
No doubt we are proud of our facilities and we've always had athletes there, but too many of them aren't on the football team. I've always said that football needs to be important again in Minerva. In the past, most of those athletes walking the halls would have been on the football team. We also used to get open-enrollees from United, Carrollton, and other neighboring schools. All it takes is a couple of good classes (and wins) to get the ball rolling.
Old 05-02-19, 10:37 PM
All Region

Quote:
I agree on many points '86! No one is saying that a change didn't need to be made with the staff. The players need to play and the administration and staff sets the standard. The fact is that the talent and depth just haven't been there either. When a program goes 0-40 it is due to an all around institutional failure so there's truly a lot of blame to go around. I also agree with '88, that there wasn't any improvement as the season went on. Really can't wrap my head around that decision to start a freshman at the most important position on the field!

Willison I recall was a very good player and I've been told he is a good coach BUT not a head coach. I've also been told he didn't even want the job, there weren't any quality outside candidates and that they talked him into it. I question some of his staff decisions when he did take over however. A HC is truly only as successful as the staff he assembles. I think the DC there needs replaced because it's pretty well known that we haven't played defense for several years in Minerva.
See your point too!, also Alex Albert is on staff again. I think he is a good addition.