Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 02-28-19, 02:47 PM
NBC 1988 NBC 1988 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 08-14-17
Posts: 485
NBC 1988 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick0425 View Post
He tries to stay away and doesn’t make his opinions public. I always wanted him to play a more active role.

‘86, we talked a lot back in 2012-2013 about how the talent in 2013 was squandered with the coaching change. We turned out to be right. So, everyone ran Mike Hall out of town and pushed for a Minerva grad to be the new HC. That didn’t work out so now everyone wants an ‘outsider’ again. I have seen this thing come all the way around.

New coach was perhaps needed but a lot of the issues go beyond the coaches or coaching staff. Need to have perspective here. Let’s hope they get fixed.
I don't disagree with you Maverick. That's why I use the term cautiously optimistic. There is some skilled talent and there is some linemen with size but lacking numbers/depth. The next 2 years are crucial to the program. The Lions will have some very good football players, the key is to build more of them and most importantly change the culture. If this program doesn't a complete turn around in the next 2 years. I don't understand what you mean that it goes beyond coaching but I am guessing you mean that the kids need to change and be more dedicated to being football players?? And the parents need to support this change??
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 02-28-19, 02:50 PM
Lion 86 Lion 86 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 06-09-13
Posts: 407
Lion 86 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBC 1988 View Post
I don't know about Molen's opinion. I don't like to say too much but I have been hearing that if Coach Hundley can get these kids to buy in and start working now, 2019 could be the start of a pretty successful turn around. The Lions have plenty of skilled kids that should be able to match just about anyone they play. The Lions have one of the fastest kids in the area (Markins) and couple of bigger backs (Common and Martineau) with speed that can both make plays. There are also few wide receivers with speed (Place, Sparks and Johns). Costea brings some experience at QB if that's the direction they decide to go.

I heard that big concern is the line. The lions may have 2 of the better linemen in the EBC in Williams and Burress. But they need others to step up. The good news is most of these kids will be juniors next season. the bad news is the senior class will be small in numbers, possibly only 4 or 5 kids and 2 with experience. Also depth is a concern, most of the players mentioned will have to play both ways but this could be the most overall talent Minerva has had since 2014.

Everyone understands the there is a lot of work to do but cautiously optimistic is where a lot of Minerva fans stand. We are anxious to see "watch the boys play ball" as the CaptainA would say and hope there is a pretty good product on the field..
I would think Common could develop as QB and perform at a productive level. Size with arm strength is so important at that position. Costea would be better suited in the backfield, he may be a 2nd or 3rd option at the QB position. They have to get Markins the ball, with his speed and ability a lot of touchdowns could be the result of good game planning.

Last edited by Lion 86; 02-28-19 at 03:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 02-28-19, 02:57 PM
Lion 86 Lion 86 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 06-09-13
Posts: 407
Lion 86 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick0425 View Post
He tries to stay away and doesn’t make his opinions public. I always wanted him to play a more active role.

‘86, we talked a lot back in 2012-2013 about how the talent in 2013 was squandered with the coaching change. We turned out to be right. So, everyone ran Mike Hall out of town and pushed for a Minerva grad to be the new HC. That didn’t work out so now everyone wants an ‘outsider’ again. I have seen this thing come all the way around.

New coach was perhaps needed but a lot of the issues go beyond the coaches or coaching staff. Need to have perspective here. Let’s hope they get fixed.
Mike Hall was from out of town, however, as you know he had a connection with Joe Chaddock our Superintendent at the time as they were at Perry together. So internal influence was apparent. All I know is failure of the program came from current staff and roots from nepotism. This is the only way to go, I would not bring one person in from the current Lions staff if it were me as HC.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 02-28-19, 03:12 PM
ceebass13 ceebass13 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 07-27-17
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 291
ceebass13 is on a distinguished road
With the changes made on the staff, what is a realistic win total this year for Minerva?
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 02-28-19, 05:48 PM
Maverick0425 Maverick0425 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 03-19-11
Posts: 719
Maverick0425 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBC 1988 View Post
I don't understand what you mean that it goes beyond coaching but I am guessing you mean that the kids need to change and be more dedicated to being football players?? And the parents need to support this change??
After 0-40 there is a lot of blame to go around. I would never blame the kids.

Economics.
Enrollment.
Not enough athletes to support multiple successful programs.
Seven head coaches in 19 seasons.
A dip in talent compared to past Minerva teams.


The list could go on but the finger pointing gets old. Time to get to work.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 02-28-19, 07:53 PM
hitme hitme is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-10-10
Posts: 1,507
hitme is on a distinguished road
Don't forget change of culture. It happened here and as one Minerva posted stated "it has been easier playing Louisville the last 10 years".
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 03-01-19, 09:00 AM
NBC 1988 NBC 1988 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 08-14-17
Posts: 485
NBC 1988 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick0425 View Post
After 0-40 there is a lot of blame to go around. I would never blame the kids.

Economics.
Enrollment.
Not enough athletes to support multiple successful programs.
Seven head coaches in 19 seasons.
A dip in talent compared to past Minerva teams.


The list could go on but the finger pointing gets old. Time to get to work.
Good insight Maverick. The program needs stability. Hopefully Hundley brings that and a great culture to the program. The next 2 years will be a perfect time for a turn around.. there is some talent.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 03-01-19, 09:03 AM
NBC 1988 NBC 1988 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 08-14-17
Posts: 485
NBC 1988 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceebass13 View Post
With the changes made on the staff, what is a realistic win total this year for Minerva?

Being competitive in every game will be a giant 1st step. 2-3 wins is realistic, 5 is attainable and would be great. Getting a league win or 2 would be huge.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 03-01-19, 10:54 AM
Maverick0425 Maverick0425 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 03-19-11
Posts: 719
Maverick0425 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBC 1988 View Post
Being competitive in every game will be a giant 1st step. 2-3 wins is realistic, 5 is attainable and would be great. Getting a league win or 2 would be huge.
Yes, just be competitive. I don’t think anyone on here was expecting a league championship the past 3 seasons but I saw NO improvement between weeks 1-10. Benching a senior QB and starting a freshman was a bad decision. That is on the coaches ‘86.

There is some talent there and I could see that at the games. Time to get to work.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 03-01-19, 12:03 PM
NBC 1988 NBC 1988 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 08-14-17
Posts: 485
NBC 1988 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick0425 View Post
Yes, just be competitive. I don’t think anyone on here was expecting a league championship the past 3 seasons but I saw NO improvement between weeks 1-10. Benching a senior QB and starting a freshman was a bad decision. That is on the coaches ‘86.

There is some talent there and I could see that at the games. Time to get to work.

Freddie Kitchens just said "it's time to look through the front windshield instead of the rear view mirror". It's time to work and start fresh!!
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 03-01-19, 12:04 PM
NBC 1988 NBC 1988 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 08-14-17
Posts: 485
NBC 1988 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitme View Post
Don't forget change of culture. It happened here and as one Minerva posted stated "it has been easier playing Louisville the last 10 years".
Culture is the most important part of this process..
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 03-01-19, 12:17 PM
NBC 1988 NBC 1988 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 08-14-17
Posts: 485
NBC 1988 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion 86 View Post
I would think Common could develop as QB and perform at a productive level. Size with arm strength is so important at that position. Costea would be better suited in the backfield, he may be a 2nd or 3rd option at the QB position. They have to get Markins the ball, with his speed and ability a lot of touchdowns could be the result of good game planning.
I went to the last home basketball game and caught the tail end of the JV game. Common has to be over 200 pounds and looks like a middle linebacker. I hardly recognized the kid- he is not skipping any time in the weight room that's for sure. He looks more like a middle linebacker and running back now. So if he is not a QB I can see why. Martineau looked pretty solid too. I think those 2 kids will have to play pretty big roles on both sides of the ball. The big question is do you want your QB at linebacker too?? Also, Burress looks like he is getting stronger, word is he benched 385 and looks to make a run as a sophomore heavy weight. He should be a force on the O and D Line. Also, sophomore Williams looks to have a big year as a junior- his is wrestling 220 and looking good and is a very athletic lineman. Along with Markins speed there is a core of talent. The big question is can Hundley and develop the right pieces and build around that core??

Last edited by NBC 1988; 03-01-19 at 01:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 03-01-19, 11:44 PM
Lion 86 Lion 86 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 06-09-13
Posts: 407
Lion 86 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick0425 View Post
Yes, just be competitive. I don’t think anyone on here was expecting a league championship the past 3 seasons but I saw NO improvement between weeks 1-10. Benching a senior QB and starting a freshman was a bad decision. That is on the coaches ‘86.

There is some talent there and I could see that at the games. Time to get to work.
Not only did they put a kid at risk of getting seriously hurt by starting a clearly undersized, minimal skilled freshman QB ( his numbers are proof) and benching a Senior the hand writing was on the wall for me at that point. Willison knew he was “stepping down” so the plan was to get Costea in there to use that for next year to force his undeserving position to roll into his sophomore year. If Hundley buys into this crap then shame on him. It will tell me a lot about Hundley when the staff is finalized and the roster comes out. That’s why we only currently have one QB huh! That’s such a joke.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 03-03-19, 10:16 AM
NBC 1988 NBC 1988 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 08-14-17
Posts: 485
NBC 1988 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion 86 View Post
Not only did they put a kid at risk of getting seriously hurt by starting a clearly undersized, minimal skilled freshman QB ( his numbers are proof) and benching a Senior the hand writing was on the wall for me at that point. Willison knew he was “stepping down” so the plan was to get Costea in there to use that for next year to force his undeserving position to roll into his sophomore year. If Hundley buys into this crap then shame on him. It will tell me a lot about Hundley when the staff is finalized and the roster comes out. That’s why we only currently have one QB huh! That’s such a joke.
Having 1 QB with any experience 2019 in from grades 9-12 is quite baffling to say the least.. I think the bigger issue is probably defense- will Hundley be able to bring back that aggressive defense with kids flying to the ball and making plays? No matter who is a QB we will not win giving up over 40 ppg like the last 4 years. So much work to do!!!
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 03-05-19, 09:08 PM
generalisimo generalisimo is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 12-06-17
Posts: 63
generalisimo is on a distinguished road
I hope the Lions start on the way back this season. I'm a Louisville fan and when I was growing up Louisville vs Minerva was special. I miss those days.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 03-06-19, 09:05 AM
NBC 1988 NBC 1988 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 08-14-17
Posts: 485
NBC 1988 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by generalisimo View Post
I hope the Lions start on the way back this season. I'm a Louisville fan and when I was growing up Louisville vs Minerva was special. I miss those days.
I really miss those days too. I always enjoyed that atmosphere..
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 03-06-19, 12:51 PM
Maverick0425 Maverick0425 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 03-19-11
Posts: 719
Maverick0425 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by generalisimo View Post
I hope the Lions start on the way back this season. I'm a Louisville fan and when I was growing up Louisville vs Minerva was special. I miss those days.
I’m an old timer and played in the once-great rivalry. Lots of league titles on the line and classic hatred but boy was it special. Now Carrollton is the new rival, my have times changed. I have said over the years that had it not been for Minerva’s inability to beat Louisville in 70s we’d likely have a state title in football. At that time Louisville was a much bigger school and Minerva needed the points for AA playoffs. That was back when they only took 1 team per region.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 03-15-19, 09:28 PM
Lion 86 Lion 86 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 06-09-13
Posts: 407
Lion 86 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick0425 View Post
I’m an old timer and played in the once-great rivalry. Lots of league titles on the line and classic hatred but boy was it special. Now Carrollton is the new rival, my have times changed. I have said over the years that had it not been for Minerva’s inability to beat Louisville in 70s we’d likely have a state title in football. At that time Louisville was a much bigger school and Minerva needed the points for AA playoffs. That was back when they only took 1 team per region.
I don’t know if we have a rival anymore Mav, I don’t look at Carrollton as a rival it’s just convenient. Louisville was truly a special game.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 03-21-19, 06:42 AM
Runtheveer Runtheveer is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 10-22-18
Posts: 15
Runtheveer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick0425 View Post
After 0-40 there is a lot of blame to go around. I would never blame the kids.

Economics.
Enrollment.
Not enough athletes to support multiple successful programs.
Seven head coaches in 19 seasons.
A dip in talent compared to past Minerva teams.


The list could go on but the finger pointing gets old. Time to get to work.
I can agree with a lot of these points. But something that will offend people, but oh well.
You say, you would never blame the kids. Maybe the kids need to take some responsibility. Maybe they just aren't better than anyone they play.
I have to believe that there are things you can do to improve the situation. One would be to change schedule. Play teams that you can compete with. Gets some wins, gain confidence.
I would have to believe, that in the last 4 years, if ever kid was pounding the weight room, hitting summer camps, and playing multiple sports, they would have some wins.
I think it is time that our young people need to take some responsibility.
Every time a team wins...the kids played great
Every time a team losses...coaches are idiots.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 03-21-19, 06:52 AM
Football 101 Football 101 is online now
All American
 
Join Date: 10-20-10
Posts: 1,300
Football 101 is on a distinguished road
Alliance and Marlington are D3
West Branch and Carrollton have teetered D3/D4 line recently.

That is nearly half the schedule, I know some schools who refuse to play certain other schools, and some schools that really won't play "up" divisions.

Maybe the schedule piece of the above argument has merit??
Minerva was around 20 boys from being D5. Would a more D4/5 schedule provide a better consistent opportunity for football? That is for the brass to decide - it is just a reoccurring topic that has surfaced in convo of Minerva
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 03-21-19, 07:32 AM
guyinahoodie guyinahoodie is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 04-21-15
Location: Columbiana
Posts: 355
guyinahoodie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Football 101 View Post
Alliance and Marlington are D3
West Branch and Carrollton have teetered D3/D4 line recently.

That is nearly half the schedule, I know some schools who refuse to play certain other schools, and some schools that really won't play "up" divisions.

Maybe the schedule piece of the above argument has merit??
Minerva was around 20 boys from being D5. Would a more D4/5 schedule provide a better consistent opportunity for football? That is for the brass to decide - it is just a reoccurring topic that has surfaced in convo of Minerva
They'd be a solid fit in the EOAC, especially after the D7's split and form their own conference.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 03-21-19, 07:44 AM
NBC 1988 NBC 1988 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 08-14-17
Posts: 485
NBC 1988 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runtheveer View Post
I can agree with a lot of these points. But something that will offend people, but oh well.
You say, you would never blame the kids. Maybe the kids need to take some responsibility. Maybe they just aren't better than anyone they play.
I have to believe that there are things you can do to improve the situation. One would be to change schedule. Play teams that you can compete with. Gets some wins, gain confidence.
I would have to believe, that in the last 4 years, if ever kid was pounding the weight room, hitting summer camps, and playing multiple sports, they would have some wins.
I think it is time that our young people need to take some responsibility.
Every time a team wins...the kids played great
Every time a team losses...coaches are idiots.
You do make some good points. It sounds like coach Hundley is getting kids motivated but ultimately the kids have to put it the work to get bigger, stronger and faster.

Non league games are United, Riverview, Sandy Valley and Beaver Local. Only Alliance has a much bigger enrollment. So the schedule isn't an excuse. Hopefully 2019 is start of the turn around.
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 03-27-19, 08:00 AM
hammerman37 hammerman37 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 09-27-16
Posts: 241
hammerman37 is on a distinguished road
As a SV homer, barring any injuries or move aways, I look for the Cardinals to hit their stride this year and be one of the best if not the best team to come from the Valley in 30 plus years NBC1988. It’ll be a nice test for the Lions and their grit the new coach is trying to establish.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 03-27-19, 10:14 AM
NBC 1988 NBC 1988 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 08-14-17
Posts: 485
NBC 1988 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerman37 View Post
As a SV homer, barring any injuries or move aways, I look for the Cardinals to hit their stride this year and be one of the best if not the best team to come from the Valley in 30 plus years NBC1988. It’ll be a nice test for the Lions and their grit the new coach is trying to establish.
I don't disagree with you. SV fans should be excited.. I really liked the QB and I believe he still has 2 years to go. Exciting times for SV fans..
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 03-28-19, 11:05 AM
CaptainA CaptainA is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 12-19-18
Location: Watching some ball!!!
Posts: 163
CaptainA is on a distinguished road
Sounds like the lions will roar again!!! I here that there is enough talent that they are the dark horse to win the league? Any idea what the lions will be doing scheme wise?
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 03-28-19, 11:44 AM
Spread All Day Spread All Day is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 06-25-11
Location: The valley
Posts: 6,672
Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainA View Post
Sounds like the lions will roar again!!! I here that there is enough talent that they are the dark horse to win the league? Any idea what the lions will be doing scheme wise?


When’s the last time they won a game? You might be jumping the gun there skip.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 03-28-19, 06:49 PM
CaptainA CaptainA is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 12-19-18
Location: Watching some ball!!!
Posts: 163
CaptainA is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spread All Day View Post
When’s the last time they won a game? You might be jumping the gun there skip.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
October 31st 2014
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 03-30-19, 09:11 AM
NBC 1988 NBC 1988 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 08-14-17
Posts: 485
NBC 1988 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainA View Post
Sounds like the lions will roar again!!! I here that there is enough talent that they are the dark horse to win the league? Any idea what the lions will be doing scheme wise?
Lets not put the cart before the horse!!! There is talent that may surprise teams early in the season, however, there is a lot of work to do to change the culture..
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 03-30-19, 09:14 AM
NBC 1988 NBC 1988 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 08-14-17
Posts: 485
NBC 1988 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainA View Post
Sounds like the lions will roar again!!! I here that there is enough talent that they are the dark horse to win the league? Any idea what the lions will be doing scheme wise?
I heard the coaches are evaluating the talent and creating a scheme. the biggest concern is depth on the line and overall depth. Lots of 2 way players in 2019,
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 04-08-19, 08:14 AM
NBC 1988 NBC 1988 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 08-14-17
Posts: 485
NBC 1988 is on a distinguished road
I heard Hundley's staff is Albert, Costea, Eberling and Turckovich so far. Has anyone here of any additional hires??
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Minerva Lions: State of the Program NBC 1988 Football 238 12-28-18 08:56 AM
Last Game for Sidney Coaching Staff? BrutusBuckeye90 Football 30 10-26-18 08:33 PM
Dayton Christian looking for additional Coaching Staff WarriorCoachDC Wrestling 0 10-12-18 12:19 PM
2018 Weekly Schedules by Date and Time EagleFan Football 12 07-23-18 03:52 AM
Week 6: Louisville Leopards at Minerva Lions (The Last of a Great Rivalry?) LeopardNation Football 49 10-01-17 09:34 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:01 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz