Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-19-19, 10:55 AM
All American

Journey is on a distinguished road
Louisville helped cannibalize the old Fed to make the NBC in the late 80s. Back then there used to be an American and National Division in the Fed.

Bet they wish that 2 tiered Fed was still an option now.
Old 02-19-19, 04:04 PM
All District

CaptainA is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBC 1988 View Post
Louisville built a great program, especially during the Crislip and Farrah years. Some of my friends from Louisville say their best team was in the mid 90s (94??) and they didn't even make the playoffs. They lost to State Champion West Branch and a close one to Canton McKinley. I don't like a lot of what you write Syrian, but Louisville has a good program and I hope they find success soon. The NBC was the best fit for them and the conference took a hit since they left (yea I know, let me, Mr. 0-40, go back to my corner now!!)
I remember watching Danny Wilson and Beaty tear it up back then. Watching them boys play some ball was one of the highlights of my life. I love me some eastern stark ball.
Old 02-22-19, 02:46 PM
All Region

NBC 1988 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainA View Post
I remember watching Danny Wilson and Beaty tear it up back then. Watching them boys play some ball was one of the highlights of my life. I love me some eastern stark ball.
That was a good team and the NBC was loaded back then. West Branch and Louisville sure did have some battles in front some packed houses. There was some good football being played in the NBC back then.
Old 02-22-19, 03:22 PM
All District

CaptainA is on a distinguished road
Quote:
That was a good team and the NBC was loaded back then. West Branch and Louisville sure did have some battles in front some packed houses. There was some good football being played in the NBC back then.
Do you remember that Gulling boy leading the leps to victory over WB at the end of the game in the mid 90's. He was a little shaver but he had some moxie.
Old 02-23-19, 08:37 AM
All Region

Quote:
Do you remember that Gulling boy leading the leps to victory over WB at the end of the game in the mid 90's. He was a little shaver but he had some moxie.
I don't remember that name but i remember Menegay?? there were so many good football players in the NBC back then. Louisville seemed to always reload with talent, WB seemed to always have great quarterbacks and Minerva had running backs. Marlington was usually at the bottom looking up and Alliance was in the FED still. How things change. One of the best i remember was Anthony Gary from Akron Springfield. that kid was a beast.

I still think the NBC should exist with Louisville in the conference.. This is coming from a Minerva fan in the midst of an extremely bad run.
Old 02-23-19, 10:47 AM
All Ohio

Maverick0425 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Louisville built a great program, especially during the Crislip and Farrah years. Some of my friends from Louisville say their best team was in the mid 90s (94??) and they didn't even make the playoffs. They lost to State Champion West Branch and a close one to Canton McKinley. I don't like a lot of what you write Syrian, but Louisville has a good program and I hope they find success soon. The NBC was the best fit for them and the conference took a hit since they left (yea I know, let me, Mr. 0-40, go back to my corner now!!)
Louisville and Minerva have always been close geographically. Both had good programs even before Crislip and his counterpart at Minerva, Molen. Go back to some of the week 10 battles the programs had in the old Tri County league in the 60s through mid 70s. Back then Minerva had Tom Walters and Louisville had Starkey, both Ohio HOF coaches. Often playoff and even state championships were on the line because they only took 1 team per region. I think of 1972, 73 and 74 as notable chapters if there are any other old timers on here like me. Louisville was always a much larger school than Minerva and took must of those battles. In the 90s Minerva managed to notch some wins against the Leps when school enrollments were closer. I don’t the the NBC has ever been stronger than in 1994. Minerva, Louisville and West Branch were all 3 loaded and playoff caliber teams. Springfield was strong too. West Branch took home the state title and Minerva and Louisville stayed home that year.

I agree that Louisville should still be in the NBC but times change. I have also heard that Minerva is in talks with some local schools about forming a new league. I struggle because Minerva is good or at least competitive in every sport. Look at boys soccer, wrestling, boys and girls bowling, girls track, cross country, softball and girls basketball. It is like Minerva has cannibalized its football program for the sake of building up its other programs. I hope that changes with the new AD because football needs to be important in Minerva again. I have never seen Hines Stadium as empty as I have the past 2 years.
Old 02-23-19, 11:25 AM
Junior Varsity

Father of Faircrest3 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-19, 10:11 PM
All Region

Lion 86 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick0425 View Post
Louisville and Minerva have always been close geographically. Both had good programs even before Crislip and his counterpart at Minerva, Molen. Go back to some of the week 10 battles the programs had in the old Tri County league in the 60s through mid 70s. Back then Minerva had Tom Walters and Louisville had Starkey, both Ohio HOF coaches. Often playoff and even state championships were on the line because they only took 1 team per region. I think of 1972, 73 and 74 as notable chapters if there are any other old timers on here like me. Louisville was always a much larger school than Minerva and took must of those battles. In the 90s Minerva managed to notch some wins against the Leps when school enrollments were closer. I don’t the the NBC has ever been stronger than in 1994. Minerva, Louisville and West Branch were all 3 loaded and playoff caliber teams. Springfield was strong too. West Branch took home the state title and Minerva and Louisville stayed home that year.

I agree that Louisville should still be in the NBC but times change. I have also heard that Minerva is in talks with some local schools about forming a new league. I struggle because Minerva is good or at least competitive in every sport. Look at boys soccer, wrestling, boys and girls bowling, girls track, cross country, softball and girls basketball. It is like Minerva has cannibalized its football program for the sake of building up its other programs. I hope that changes with the new AD because football needs to be important in Minerva again. I have never seen Hines Stadium as empty as I have the past 2 years.
Mav I always enjoy reading your posts. Seems like yesterday you and I were debating the 2011-2013 Lions. Not much to be excited about since. Times do change and Minerva needs to be in a more competitive league to meet our numbers, being the smallest in the league is getting old. We won’t compete in the EBC and it’s not that we don’t feel the football program is important I believe it’s just the fact between the staff and administration losing focus on the program it is also apparent Minerva is ready for a new league of equal competition. New coach with culture change and new league Minerva will be just fine. Put Louisville in the Fed, not a good fit, neither is Minerva in the EBC.
Old 02-24-19, 10:31 AM
All Ohio

Minerva had a great run of talent from 2008-2013. Before that you would have to go back to the mid to late 90s. The past 20 years Minerva has struggled to find the same kind of consistency as it had under Walters and then Molen. I count 7 head coaches since 2000s. There are too many athletes playing other sports in the fall that could help the football team. In the past those kids would have been suited up. Let’s hope with the new coach and AD that changes.

A good league could be Minerva, Canton South, Carrollton, Sandy Valley, West Branch, Salem, East Palestine and Beaver Local. Or switch Palestine and Beaver with Indian Valley and United. Sandy and Indian Valley have really come a long way with their programs. Maybe they are looking to increase their competition level.
Old 02-24-19, 10:44 AM
Junior Varsity

third down is on a distinguished road
Would Carrollton and Minerva tend to stick together?
and mav you mentioned Indian Valley - wouldn't they have Claymont sticking with them?
Thats half a league right there. Sandy and South would have to look at that
Old 02-24-19, 11:25 AM
All Ohio

I’m not sure. It would make sense for Carrollton and Minerva to be together. Throw South in there too. Minerva and Canton South are actually closer geographically than with Carrollton. Add Claymont, Indian Valley and Sandy Valley to get to 6. I’d say Salem and WB but that may stretch it too far to the east and south. Same goes for United, EP or Beaver But if it were to move south what about Ridgewood, Garaway or Tusky Valley? That could be a balanced, competitive league.

Last edited by Maverick0425; 02-24-19 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-24-19, 11:31 AM
Junior Varsity

third down is on a distinguished road
carrollton d4
minerva d4
south d4
claymont d4
iv d 4
sandy d5
fairless d5 ???
tuslaw d5???

or salem d4 wb d4???
Old 02-24-19, 07:43 PM
Junior Varsity

Put my Cats anywhere and we’ll win!!!! I don’t hate some of these new league ideas!!!!!

Old 02-24-19, 08:49 PM
All Region

Quote:
Minerva had a great run of talent from 2008-2013. Before that you would have to go back to the mid to late 90s. The past 20 years Minerva has struggled to find the same kind of consistency as it had under Walters and then Molen. I count 7 head coaches since 2000s. There are too many athletes playing other sports in the fall that could help the football team. In the past those kids would have been suited up. Let’s hope with the new coach and AD that changes.

A good league could be Minerva, Canton South, Carrollton, Sandy Valley, West Branch, Salem, East Palestine and Beaver Local. Or switch Palestine and Beaver with Indian Valley and United. Sandy and Indian Valley have really come a long way with their programs. Maybe they are looking to increase their competition level.
It will tell me a lot about coach Hundley when he assigns positions. If the starting QB position goes to a “Sophomore “who clearly doesn’t have the ability, size or competence then we’re done and that tells me a lot about his abilities as a coach which would throw up a red flag immediately. A new league is a must. The jury is out for me. As a program we are on the right track but we are 0-40 until something is proven.
Old 02-25-19, 09:25 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion 86 View Post
It will tell me a lot about coach Hundley when he assigns positions. If the starting QB position goes to a “Sophomore “who clearly doesn’t have the ability, size or competence then we’re done and that tells me a lot about his abilities as a coach which would throw up a red flag immediately. A new league is a must. The jury is out for me. As a program we are on the right track but we are 0-40 until something is proven.
I guess it depends on the offense Lion 86. Will the QB be asked to simply hand off and throw an occasional pass or will he be a spread option QB? and the focal point of the offense? It's going to be an interesting 6 months..

I still haven't heard too much about the assistant coaches?
Old 02-25-19, 12:10 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
I guess it depends on the offense Lion 86. Will the QB be asked to simply hand off and throw an occasional pass or will he be a spread option QB? and the focal point of the offense? It's going to be an interesting 6 months..

I still haven't heard too much about the assistant coaches?
The new head coach is impressive from what I have heard. Hopefully some of the former assistants are willing to work with him. It may be tough to find coaches from the outside. Minerva’s issues run deeper than the coaching staff and I sometimes wonder about Molen’s opinion about where this program is at.

I saw a post regarding welcoming the former Louisville coaches to the staff. No offense to the Louisville coaches but that isn’t the Minerva I come from. It has been a lot easier winning the past 10 years at Louisville. Fact is many of the Minerva assistants were a part of that last run, including Alex Albert who will be running the offense once again. Willison was the DC for those teams and boy did those defenses fly to the ball.
Old 02-25-19, 12:15 PM
All Ohio

Option A

Carrollton
Minerva
South
Sandy Valley
West Branch
Salem
Beaver Local
East Palestine

(United as a possibility rather than last 2)

Option B

Carrollton
Minerva
South
United
Sandy Valley
Tusky Valley
Claymont
Indian Valley
Old 02-25-19, 12:27 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by third down View Post
carrollton d4
minerva d4
south d4
claymont d4
iv d 4
sandy d5
fairless d5 ???
tuslaw d5???

or salem d4 wb d4???
Let's have some current enrollment figures to accompany these schools' names (just released last week).

The current EBC members:
Alliance - 363 boys, 318 girls
Marlington - 266 boys, 248 girls
West Branch - 251 boys, 255 girls
Salem - 243 boys, 235 girls
Minerva - 239 boys, 212 girls
Canton South - 232 boys, 209 girls
Carrollton - 225 boys, 235 girls

The recently dismissed for those who are curious:
Louisville - 340 boys, 350 girls

Others mentioned in recent posts:
Claymont - 238 boys, 202 girls
East Liverpool - 231 boys, 196 girls
Indian Valley - 222 boys, 218 girls
Beaver Local - 214 boys, 223 girls
Fairless - 210 boys, 172 girls
Tuslaw - 174 boys, 176 girls
Sandy Valley - 168 boys, 168 girls
East Palestine - 132 boys, 140 girls

Also:
Tusky Valley - 144 boys, 173 girls
United - 143 boys, 130 girls

FWIW, Tuslaw and Fairless are likely a package deal.

Last edited by Mr. Slippery; 02-25-19 at 10:19 PM.
Old 02-25-19, 12:55 PM
All Ohio

ECOLace is on a distinguished road
Don’t see Claymont, Indian Valley or Tusky Valley leaving their current situation. They have a perfect situation for travel. All the schools you mention are all 45 minutes away or further from them.
Old 02-25-19, 01:54 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
Let's have some current enrollment figures to accompany these schools' names (just released last week).

The current EBC members:
West Branch - 239 boys, 255 girls

Also:

Thanks!! this is interesting info..
Old 02-25-19, 02:13 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
I know Albert wants to run his spread option. If we can find a QB who is competent enough to make reads and athletic enough to run the ball, the offense can be lethal. Minerva hasn’t had that kind of QB since Maurer from the 2011 team.
Old 02-25-19, 02:38 PM
Junior Varsity

Lightning2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECOLace View Post
Don’t see Claymont, Indian Valley or Tusky Valley leaving their current situation. They have a perfect situation for travel. All the schools you mention are all 45 minutes away or further from them.
I agree. I couldn't picture them leaving the IVC.
Old 02-25-19, 03:16 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post

The current EBC members:
West Branch - 239 boys, 255 girls

Also:

I know that the OSHAA still has to create the divisional guidelines for the upcoming season, however, Alliance will be approaching D2 which was 389 - 618 in 2018. With their 363 boys and around 20ish competitive balance numbers they will be close to D2. Also it's interesting that Marlington is down 60 boys since the last survey and may be D4 again. If WB doesn't have a bunch of competitive balance kids they will be D4 again.

So it could be 1 D2 school and 6 D4 schools in the EBC..
Old 02-25-19, 10:20 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery will become famous soon enough
EDIT: West Branch has 251 boys, not 239. My fingers typed Salem's male enrollment by mistake. The correction has been made to my previous post. The point of it all is to illustrate who could be the right partners for Minerva should they pursue the creation of a new league or add an 8th school to the EBC. I was told a few years back that Alliance was on track to be the largest school in the NBC, but I had no idea that they would so quickly become that much bigger than the others in the EBC.
Old 02-26-19, 06:45 AM
All Region

Quote:
I know Albert wants to run his spread option. If we can find a QB who is competent enough to make reads and athletic enough to run the ball, the offense can be lethal. Minerva hasn’t had that kind of QB since Maurer from the 2011 team.
Skilled positions will not be a problem at Minerva. Developing linemen is the issue. Need more depth and strength..
Old 02-26-19, 07:55 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Skilled positions will not be a problem at Minerva. Developing linemen is the issue. Need more depth and strength..

Bring over b. Bolag and the unkridge boy’s you speak of from alliance to develop them. we see how lil vic’s line turned out this year. MY CATS struggled with them!!!!!

Old 02-26-19, 09:08 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father of Faircrest3 View Post
Bring over b. Bolag and the unkridge boy’s you speak of from alliance to develop them. we see how lil vic’s line turned out this year. MY CATS struggled with them!!!!!

It all starts up front. We have a couple of really good ones but need some depth. we are pretty solid in skilled positions. A lot of sophomores saw significant varsity time last year so there is a lot of experience. But there is a lot of work to do.

Last edited by NBC 1988; 02-26-19 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-27-19, 07:29 PM
All Region

Quote:
The new head coach is impressive from what I have heard. Hopefully some of the former assistants are willing to work with him. It may be tough to find coaches from the outside. Minerva’s issues run deeper than the coaching staff and I sometimes wonder about Molen’s opinion about where this program is at.

I saw a post regarding welcoming the former Louisville coaches to the staff. No offense to the Louisville coaches but that isn’t the Minerva I come from. It has been a lot easier winning the past 10 years at Louisville. Fact is many of the Minerva assistants were a part of that last run, including Alex Albert who will be running the offense once again. Willison was the DC for those teams and boy did those defenses fly to the ball.
What was Molen’s opinion I never heard?
Old 02-28-19, 08:53 AM
All Region

Quote:
I don't know about Molen's opinion. I don't like to say too much but I have been hearing that if Coach Hundley can get these kids to buy in and start working now, 2019 could be the start of a pretty successful turn around. The Lions have plenty of skilled kids that should be able to match just about anyone they play. The Lions have one of the fastest kids in the area (Markins) and couple of bigger backs (Common and Martineau) with speed that can both make plays. There are also few wide receivers with speed (Place, Sparks and Johns). Costea brings some experience at QB if that's the direction they decide to go.

I heard that big concern is the line. The lions may have 2 of the better linemen in the EBC in Williams and Burress. But they need others to step up. The good news is most of these kids will be juniors next season. the bad news is the senior class will be small in numbers, possibly only 4 or 5 kids and 2 with experience. Also depth is a concern, most of the players mentioned will have to play both ways but this could be the most overall talent Minerva has had since 2014.

Everyone understands the there is a lot of work to do but cautiously optimistic is where a lot of Minerva fans stand. We are anxious to see "watch the boys play ball" as the CaptainA would say and hope there is a pretty good product on the field..
Old 02-28-19, 09:09 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
He tries to stay away and doesn’t make his opinions public. I always wanted him to play a more active role.

‘86, we talked a lot back in 2012-2013 about how the talent in 2013 was squandered with the coaching change. We turned out to be right. So, everyone ran Mike Hall out of town and pushed for a Minerva grad to be the new HC. That didn’t work out so now everyone wants an ‘outsider’ again. I have seen this thing come all the way around.

New coach was perhaps needed but a lot of the issues go beyond the coaches or coaching staff. Need to have perspective here. Let’s hope they get fixed.