Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-06-18, 09:03 AM
All World

wghfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Elite View Post
Yep all true. Going to be interesting how their city responds
How the city responds? It is not like Girard is some hot bed football town, that is expected to have 9-1 seasons every year.
Old 12-06-18, 04:06 PM
All World

Buckeye Elite is on a distinguished road
That’s the point, are they going to look at things in a way of they are supposed to always win now after this long run, or will they go back to regular Girard, couple good season, couple bad seasons, and mainly average seasons. It’s like when you give the poor millions of dollars in the lottery, most don’t know what to do with it.
Old 12-07-18, 12:06 AM
All World

Quote:
Thatís the point, are they going to look at things in a way of they are supposed to always win now after this long run, or will they go back to regular Girard, couple good season, couple bad seasons, and mainly average seasons. Itís like when you give the poor millions of dollars in the lottery, most donít know what to do with it.
Can't speak for everyone in Girard, but I would say just about what you said. A mixed bag, which will all depend on the talent level that comes through in the years ahead. Next couple years I think will be a tough road.
Old 12-07-18, 01:45 AM
All World

I agree Unless some people move in and get there fast
Old 12-07-18, 08:13 AM
All District

NEohioFB is on a distinguished road
In today's day and age, that could happen relatively quickly. Maybe Paladin's people have another Mark Waid that they don't think can play for them and send em over? Never know.
Old 12-07-18, 02:06 PM
All World

It’s likely but unlikely. There not a huge draw of talent out there unless people move in, the win their games by scheme and a cry baby coach. Well has dried up to put it nicely
Old 12-07-18, 02:31 PM
All World

Struthersfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Itís likely but unlikely. There not a huge draw of talent out there unless people move in, the win their games by scheme and a cry baby coach. Well has dried up to put it nicely
Girard or Lakeview........ or both?

Could be both.
Old 12-07-18, 02:32 PM
All Ohio

Jaws31 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I agree Unless some people move in and get there fast
I'm sure Cochran is scouring the countryside as we speak. Don't forget, after the Morales incident at Taco Bell a couple years ago, he and the other Hubbard player were both going to Girard. It was a done deal, all his social media was switched over to say GHS 19' and he was working out with Waid and everything until there was a bit of an uproar with some parents. This past season it was the "transfer" from Howland sans the uproar. Next year I'm sure it will be someone else.
Old 12-07-18, 03:17 PM
All District

Alliance1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by simkon View Post
Here is Canfield's schedule for next year, week 3 will likely not be available though until 2 or 3 more seasons, week 5 and 10 are the current open dates:

Canfield's schedule

Week 1: 8/30 Louisville

Week 2: 9/6 Dover

Week 3: 9/13 Chardon

Week 4: 9/20 Alliance

Week 5: 9/27 Open

Week 6: 10/4 Boardman

Week 7: 10/11 Highland

Week 8: 10/18 East

Week 9: 10/25 Howland

Week 10 11/1 Open

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk
Hmm, I have Canfield listed at week 5 9/27.
Old 12-07-18, 03:33 PM
All American

simkon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance1 View Post
Hmm, I have Canfield listed at week 5 9/27.
You probably are right. I do recall Alliance asking Canfield to move the date one year to accommodate them.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Last edited by simkon; 12-08-18 at 11:09 AM.
Old 12-08-18, 01:43 PM
All Ohio

HubCapper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportster4321 View Post
#7 should fill in just fine under center as he did when called upon this season. Throws a nice ball and can run when needed.
His arm alone will add a new dimension to the offense for sure next year. His dad was a former head high school football coach, so he'll be ready to do the job on week #1 coming from that kind of environment.

I'd like to see about a 60-40 mix between running and passing in 2019. With the tools they'll have, it's most definitely conceivable, maybe even 50-50 (that's wishful thinking on my part).

I got game #7 already circled, Girard at "Beautiful Hubbard Memorial Stadium". Only one game next year on the "Payback Tour" since Y-town East is off of Hubbard's schedule.
Old 12-08-18, 07:56 PM
All District

itzme is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubCapper View Post
I counted 20 seniors on this year's Girard roster, plus next year they have to sit at the "big boys table" schedule wise.
"Big boys table"? You do realize most of those schools are D4, right? Good small school football is what it is. I'd calm down on the "big boy" comments that I've seen people make over the years concerning these usually good mid-size schools. Girard will struggle next year based on the talent that's returning. It will have nothing to do with the schedule they play. Just as they struggled with 2-8 and 3-7 seasons in the Blue Tier when their talent was down before, the same will be true next year when they play 3 of the 7 schools they always play and then add in Lakeview, Poland (who they scrimmage every year), Struthers, and South Range (D5).
Old 12-08-18, 09:03 PM
All Yappi

Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by itzme View Post
"Big boys table"? You do realize most of those schools are D4, right? Good small school football is what it is. I'd calm down on the "big boy" comments that I've seen people make over the years concerning these usually good mid-size schools. Girard will struggle next year based on the talent that's returning. It will have nothing to do with the schedule they play. Just as they struggled with 2-8 and 3-7 seasons in the Blue Tier when their talent was down before, the same will be true next year when they play 3 of the 7 schools they always play and then add in Lakeview, Poland (who they scrimmage every year), Struthers, and South Range (D5).

The point was that the new conference is much better than the blue tier. It is. By 1000 miles. Girard had the luxury the last two seasons of having 8 weeks off essentially. They wonít have it anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-08-18, 09:22 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spread All Day View Post
The point was that the new conference is much better than the blue tier. It is. By 1000 miles. Girard had the luxury the last two seasons of having 8 weeks off essentially. They wonít have it anymore.

You are over rating that tier this past year. It was not that good at all.
Old 12-08-18, 10:25 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wghfan View Post
You are over rating that tier this past year. It was not that good at all.

It was 199 times better than the blue tier.

Old 12-08-18, 11:27 PM
All District

itzme is on a distinguished road
Quote:

No doubt the week in and week out competition will be harder because there's no Champion, Newton Falls, or Campbell on the schedule. Which, btw, they lost to Champion in back to back years in '15 & '16 and lost to Campbell in '15 & barely beat them in OT in '16. I understand the point that was trying to be made but to classify them as "big boys" as some have over and over again... that's not what I think of when I think of the schools in that new conference. That's the inflated perception that fans from those schools have of themselves, which I never understood. When Girard is bad this year, the narrative will be "see, now they're playing the big boys and losing". Wrong. They just stink.

2 of those "8 weeks off" as you call it are in their new conference in Niles and Jefferson. Unless you weren't counting them as weeks off the last 2 years? Another 1 of those schools in the conference who had their "greatest group of skill kids ever" lost in the 1st round to them in 2017. Another 1 of those schools with 1 of the best teams they've ever had lost to them in the 3rd round in 2018. When they're good, they're good. When they're bad, as has been noted, they're bad.
Old 12-08-18, 11:47 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzme View Post
No doubt the week in and week out competition will be harder because there's no Champion, Newton Falls, or Campbell on the schedule. Which, btw, they lost to Champion in back to back years in '15 & '16 and lost to Campbell in '15 & barely beat them in OT in '16. I understand the point that was trying to be made but to classify them as "big boys" as some have over and over again... that's not what I think of when I think of the schools in that new conference. That's the inflated perception that fans from those schools have of themselves, which I never understood. When Girard is bad this year, the narrative will be "see, now they're playing the big boys and losing". Wrong. They just stink.

2 of those "8 weeks off" as you call it are in their new conference in Niles and Jefferson. Unless you weren't counting them as weeks off the last 2 years? Another 1 of those schools in the conference who had their "greatest group of skill kids ever" lost in the 1st round to them in 2017. Another 1 of those schools with 1 of the best teams they've ever had lost to them in the 3rd round in 2018. When they're good, they're good. When they're bad, as has been noted, they're bad.

Fair points. I wonít defend Niles or Jefferson.

Old 12-09-18, 12:42 PM
All American

simkon is on a distinguished road
As has been said many times why Jefferson Area was even invited to this conference is a mystery. I can't think of one good reason to be honest.
Jefferson went 0-10 and 1-9 the past two years and the only games that they were competitive in were against Edgewood who has only won like 2 or 3 games themselves the past few years. Jefferson had one stretch where they were pretty good, aside from that they have generally gone anywhere from 0-10 to 3-7 most years.
Old 12-09-18, 02:07 PM
All World

Because nobody other sports they are usually competitive, Edgewood is a head scratcher tho
Old 12-09-18, 02:13 PM
All World

Capper basically meant playing Hubbard Struthers Poland SR Lakeview week in and out will be a lot tougher then playing Hubbard then champion Campbell falls Brookfield Etc. Girard should have left that blue tier as soon as they hit D4
Old 12-09-18, 02:40 PM
All World

Just don't understand why all the dislike for Girard. Lot of people on here, it seems they can't wait to see them fail. Or can't wait for them to be bad next year. Some people are wrapped up in schedules and conferences
Lots of times it does not matter who you play. If your good, your good. If you're not, you're not.
Old 12-09-18, 03:41 PM
Varsity

Bad Blake is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by simkon View Post
Here is Canfield's schedule for next year, week 3 will likely not be available though until 2 or 3 more seasons, week 5 and 10 are the current open dates:

Canfield's schedule

Week 1: 8/30 Louisville

Week 2: 9/6 Dover

Week 3: 9/13 Chardon

Week 4: 9/20 Alliance

Week 5: 9/27 Open

Week 6: 10/4 Boardman

Week 7: 10/11 Highland

Week 8: 10/18 East

Week 9: 10/25 Howland

Week 10 11/1 Open

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk
I was told Chardon is playing Alliance week 3
Old 12-09-18, 05:23 PM
All World

Struthersfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Blake View Post
I was told Chardon is playing Alliance week 3
Arbiter has Alliance at Chardon on 9/13/19

https://arbiterlive.com/Teams/Schedule/4000663
Old 12-09-18, 05:57 PM
All World

Quote:
Just don't understand why all the dislike for Girard. Lot of people on here, it seems they can't wait to see them fail. Or can't wait for them to be bad next year. Some people are wrapped up in schedules and conferences
Lots of times it does not matter who you play. If your good, your good. If you're not, you're not.
Schedules def matter, look at teams like Mooney for example, if they played teams their own size they would never miss the playoffs. Look at R21, teams going 9-1/8-2 and not even a chance to get into the playoffs.

To your Girard point, I donít think itís hate for Girard at all, I think itís more they should be playing teams their own size all year, not having 6 bye weeks, thatís not a knock on Girard as a team thatís a knock on Girard from the AD and basically Cochran. Girard was a very good team no doubt about it, and obviously made it to the final game so you canít take anything away from them but itís not like they steam rolled teams through the playoffs, they proved themselves against Hubbard absolutely, but very easily could have lost to east and probably should have, that was all last season tho, a lot of people are already excited for next season as well as most of the state, but mainly our area because the lack of interest in other sports.
Old 12-09-18, 06:23 PM
All World

Quote:
Schedules def matter, look at teams like Mooney for example, if they played teams their own size they would never miss the playoffs. Look at R21, teams going 9-1/8-2 and not even a chance to get into the playoffs.

To your Girard point, I donít think itís hate for Girard at all, I think itís more they should be playing teams their own size all year, not having 6 bye weeks, thatís not a knock on Girard as a team thatís a knock on Girard from the AD and basically Cochran. Girard was a very good team no doubt about it, and obviously made it to the final game so you canít take anything away from them but itís not like they steam rolled teams through the playoffs, they proved themselves against Hubbard absolutely, but very easily could have lost to east and probably should have, that was all last season tho, a lot of people are already excited for next season as well as most of the state, but mainly our area because the lack of interest in other sports.
Girard played a bad schedule, but still finished 5th in the region with a 9-1 record. My point I was making was more from a team talent level. My opinion is next year will be a down year for football in our area.
Old 12-10-18, 02:30 AM
All World

Quote:
Girard played a bad schedule, but still finished 5th in the region with a 9-1 record. My point I was making was more from a team talent level. My opinion is next year will be a down year for football in our area.
I think it should be very similar honestly, a lot of teams were relatively young this year. I think we will add a playoff team or 2.
Old 12-10-18, 09:05 AM
All World

Quote:
I think it should be very similar honestly, a lot of teams were relatively young this year. I think we will add a playoff team or 2.
Lot of teams lost a lot too though. Girard, Harding and LaBrae I know for sure they won't be as good. Just don't see anyone in our area, that has a dominant team that can make a run like last year. I don't follow a lot of D6, or D7, so maybe there.Someone could surprise. Now with GM shutting down, I some people have packed their bags, and left this area
Old 12-10-18, 05:07 PM
All Ohio

HubCapper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Capper basically meant playing Hubbard Struthers Poland SR Lakeview week in and out will be a lot tougher then playing Hubbard then champion Campbell falls Brookfield Etc.
.....exactly.
Old 12-10-18, 06:25 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Lot of teams lost a lot too though. Girard, Harding and LaBrae I know for sure they won't be as good. Just don't see anyone in our area, that has a dominant team that can make a run like last year. I don't follow a lot of D6, or D7, so maybe there.Someone could surprise. Now with GM shutting down, I some people have packed their bags, and left this area

So the three teams you follow arenít going to be good so the whole area is going to stink. Got it.

Old 12-10-18, 07:34 PM
All World

Quote:
So the three teams you follow arenít going to be good so the whole area is going to stink. Got it.

No. Just mentioning those 3 for sure, because they were playoff teams, in their divisions, and know they lost a lot, and don't see a reload for this year anyway. I don't see any one making big playoff runs next year. That is all. Someone might surprise, but just my opinion